Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Kosh Naranek posted:

Basically what Xenoletum said. There is apparently a scene for this sort of stuff, this is from a buddy of mines 30th birthday, done nerdstyle: http://imgur.com/a/bDY6k

They only had touchscreens for Jubeat, but since then controllers have been released.

I've been dying to make a SV controller for a while, but can't afford the parts. It's nice to see it running on a poo poo hp machine though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Josh Lyman posted:

Had to register on a specialty forum to get advice and pulled the trigger on this:

climate controlled violin case?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Am I understanding this right: the game play is that when a button lights up, you press it?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

spog posted:

Am I understanding this right: the game play is that when a button lights up, you press it?

It's like Simon the Next Generation!

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Had to register on a specialty forum to get advice and pulled the trigger on this:

Is that a violin case with a hygrometer?

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

burnsep posted:

Sorry, I meant the second. The buds kept popping off the body of the headphones, particularly in pockets or bags, and getting lost.

Pro-tip. Don't use the stock tips. Buy these http://www.complyfoam.com/bluebuds-x/

ps: The "comfort" tips on that site are the opposite, at least for me.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Bunk Rogers posted:

Pro-tip. Don't use the stock tips. Buy these http://www.complyfoam.com/bluebuds-x/

ps: The "comfort" tips on that site are the opposite, at least for me.

Yep, everyone's ears are different. I prefer the comfort ones.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

spog posted:

In very broad terms, yes. But there are timing/accuracy ratings like in DDR. It's basically a hardcore version of Elite Beat Agents. There's also Pop N Music which has... less flashy stuff, but equal amounts of hitting things when they light up.

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 00:19 on Aug 1, 2014

colas
Feb 14, 2007

I bought this without looking at the picture. Now I have to find an enclosure so I can put it in my MBP.

Kosh Naranek
Mar 8, 2008

Understanding is a three edged sword. Your side, their side, and a pair of ruby slippers.

Xenoletum posted:

I've been dying to make a SV controller for a while, but can't afford the parts. It's nice to see it running on a poo poo hp machine though.

Don't know the specs on it as I just got one myself, but it's a cheap "refurbished" HP machine running XP and working perfectly for this purpose, and I see from the shipment tracking that I might get the Jubeat controller today :dance: I also think my friend bought those SV controllers, but I can't see them in the webshop so I'm not sure.

strangemusic posted:

In very broad terms, yes. But there are timing/accuracy ratings like in DDR. It's basically a hardcore version of Elite Beat Agents. There's also Pop N Music which has... less flashy stuff, but equal amounts of hitting things when they light up.

I tried Pop N Music both at that party and in Japan, I think I'll stick to Jubeat for now, I find it a bit "easier".

edit: not the pretiest setup atm, but it works, and it's fun!

Kosh Naranek has a new favorite as of 07:08 on Aug 2, 2014

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Got this handsome Seiko wristwatch via Slickdeals. $58 shipped.

Going to get a nice leather clasp wristband for it.

And 80 days for my iPad:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

muike posted:

climate controlled violin case?
Almost.

rockcity posted:

Is that a violin case with a hygrometer?
Bingo. I could put in a humidifer and then it would be climate controlled, but many say that's a bad idea since there will be a humidity shock once you open the case.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Pony skin sneakers. Now that's paper.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Bape Culture posted:

Pony skin sneakers. Now that's paper.

Only way that would be better is if they were riding boots.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

I also got a 2 TB hard-drive to replace the 500 GB one is ships with.

Best part is, it was all essentially free.

Since May, I've been doing things like Swagbucks, Bing Rewards, and Perk.tv to get Amazon gift cards. Had over $400 worth, and then I cashed in a big jar of change at the Coinstar for another $100 worth of Amazon giftcard.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
My 7 year old rice cooker is now dead. I uh... Managed to... Forget to empty it out before going on a 2 week trip out of the country. It was less than pleasant. I decided to treat myself to one of them fancy, newfangled fuzzy logic cookers.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Paid off my truck and paid for my family vacation next year, and then went on a little shopping spree.

Picked up two of these for my reef tank

Vortech MP10Wes

One of these (because it was half off with the vortechs) to control both of those and my lights

Ecotech ReefLink

And because there's a pretty good deal going on right now I picked this up as well.

Fuji X-T1 kit with vertical grip, extra battery, 32gig card and a few other odds and ends.

My debit card is waving the white flag

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Henchman 21 posted:

Paid off my truck and paid for my family vacation next year, and then went on a little shopping spree.

Vortech MP10Wes

One of these (because it was half off with the vortechs) to control both of those and my lights

Ecotech ReefLink

And because there's a pretty good deal going on right now I picked this up as well.

Fuji X-T1 kit with vertical grip, extra battery, 32gig card and a few other odds and ends.

You've got some expensive hobbies, son. Next you'll tell me that family vacation is going to be helicopter skiing.

I just bought a bundle for $3 with a bunch of games I'll never play, but one that I've gotten hooked on.
http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/reboot-bundle-6/

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Henchman 21 posted:

Vortech MP10Wes

Ecotech ReefLink

You'd better post cool fish pictures or I just won't believe you made these purchases. :colbert:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Doom Rooster posted:

My 7 year old rice cooker is now dead. I uh... Managed to... Forget to empty it out before going on a 2 week trip out of the country. It was less than pleasant. I decided to treat myself to one of them fancy, newfangled fuzzy logic cookers.

We've had a Tiger that looks about identical (slight menu differences) and it's been rocking strong for 4 years. Keeps 2 pre-cooked cups of rice hot and good for 2-3 days before you even need to worry about gross crunchiness or spoil or anything.

Basically pays for itself by making it so easy to eat cheap rice instead of more expensive (and more garbagey) fillers.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I can quit any time.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

canyoneer posted:

You've got some expensive hobbies, son. Next you'll tell me that family vacation is going to be helicopter skiing.

Nothing quite so fun, renting a house on the coast in North Carolina the week of the 4th, gonna sit on the beach drunk for most of it.

neongrey posted:

You'd better post cool fish pictures or I just won't believe you made these purchases. :colbert:

That's the plan, I need a new tripod though.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
I bought the stuff below.

Sorry for the quality but that is the following:
Case - Fractal Design R4 White
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H
Processor - Intel i7 4790K
Graphics - EVGA GTX 760
Power Supply - Corsair CX750M
RAM - 16gb of ram that I can remember the name of
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

I haven't built a new computer in a while but this is silent and fast as poo poo.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Because bye bye money :homebrew:

I've been looking for a portable battery backup for phones/tablets whatever. Honestly this thing is too big for anything except camping but it's just such a neat gadget.

http://www.amazon.com/Goal-Zero-90110-Portable-Emergency/dp/B00JGR3QT0

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

MeUndies are the most comfortable underwear and I just signed up for their monthly underwear thing. This is this months "Electric Avenue"

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
My first foray into the world of board games:

:rolldice: :retrogames:

Caffeinated Bacon
May 23, 2007
That's enough motive, I suppose, to make a man dress like Dracula and assault criminals

beanieson posted:

Because bye bye money :homebrew:

I've been looking for a portable battery backup for phones/tablets whatever. Honestly this thing is too big for anything except camping but it's just such a neat gadget.

http://www.amazon.com/Goal-Zero-90110-Portable-Emergency/dp/B00JGR3QT0

Nice! I've been debating on picking that up for a few weeks now. Have you had a chance to play with it yet? How's the solar / hand crack charging stuff?

gypsycabdriver
Apr 19, 2007
Disneyland Premium Annual Passport

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

cyberia posted:

My first foray into the world of board games:

:rolldice: :retrogames:
Nice, have you visited the Board Game thread?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

bowmore posted:

Nice, have you visited the Board Game thread?

Yep, I've been lurking for a while and asked a few questions which is how I found out about Core Worlds which I then luckily stumbled across buried on a dusty shelf at my FLGS as it seems to be almost impossible to find in Australia.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

cyberia posted:

Yep, I've been lurking for a while and asked a few questions which is how I found out about Core Worlds which I then luckily stumbled across buried on a dusty shelf at my FLGS as it seems to be almost impossible to find in Australia.
I am also from Australia and finding board games can suck sometimes.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

bowmore posted:

I am also from Australia and finding board games can suck sometimes.

Try https://goodgames.com.au. That's where I got Euphoria and Chez Goth and delivery only took two days after I ordered from their webstore. They've got a few stores in Melbourne (and I think other cities) and postage for online orders is only $5 per order. They seem to have a good variety of old and new games and other gaming related stuff.

Also, if there are any Mindgames stores near you take the time to poke around as they often have a lot of old stock stacked up on their shelves due to the limited popularity of board games as a hobby in Australia.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
Alternatively for best prices/convenience, http://www.milsims.com.au/ if you're in Victoria and can pick things up locally, or http://www.ozgameshop.com/ if you want to order things online. Don't mix up which way you have those though, ordering from milsims online takes MONTHS.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Just bought a cable modem to possibly solve some issues with my internet and stop paying Comcast to rent a lovely modem/router so they can use it as part of their wifi hotspot network.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

I Might Be Adam posted:

Just bought a cable modem to possibly solve some issues with my internet and stop paying Comcast to rent a lovely modem/router so they can use it as part of their wifi hotspot network.

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but make sure they don't try to charge you for your own modem. I've been with them (no other option) for about 14 years and have always provided my own modem. A couple of months ago they sent me a letter apologizing for not charging me rent for the modem.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

Mister Kingdom posted:

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but make sure they don't try to charge you for your own modem. I've been with them (no other option) for about 14 years and have always provided my own modem. A couple of months ago they sent me a letter apologizing for not charging me rent for the modem.

I get those letters about once a year now. I've had my own modem since I first got cable internet.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Caffeinated Bacon posted:

Nice! I've been debating on picking that up for a few weeks now. Have you had a chance to play with it yet? How's the solar / hand crack charging stuff?

it just got delivered this afternoon so I'm still tinkering. I turned on all the lights at full power and let it run down the battery, took about 5 hours as it wasn't fully charged. The crank works pretty well, it'll run a dim lantern/spot for a few minutes on about a minute of cranking. Hadn't played with the solar panel yet but it's completely dead now & I'm going to leave it on my dashboard tomorrow to see how well it charges throughout the day. Pleased with it over all, it's not too heavy but large and awkwardly shaped.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
No picture, but I bought some earplugs for a concert this weekend.

Wish I cared more about my hearing when I was younger...already have some high-range hearing loss, probably from concerts I went to in my early 20's.

:sigh:

Protect your ears, young goons. Wear ear plugs to concerts. Wear earplugs on a motorcycle. Especially if, by some chance, you're a tard and are only wearing a half-helmet, or even more tarded and wearing no helmet.

Will you look like a dork? Yeah, a little bit. But 10-20 years later, when you're with a group of your friends just shooting the poo poo, and you're the only one not constantly saying,
"What?"
or
"Come again?"

You'll be thankful.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!
Magpul bump case, hope it doesn't suck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuniculous
Apr 23, 2007