Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

serious gaylord posted:

Kirby owns 16% The rest is owned by large pension investment firms. The kind of investment people that are very risk averse so that they are sticking with GW should say a lot.

What it says to me is that apparently a lot of people with more money than sense read Kirby's Col. Kurtz-esque ramblings and decided "This man clearly knows what he's doing." :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Sydney Bottocks posted:

What it says to me is that apparently a lot of people with more money than sense read Kirby's Col. Kurtz-esque ramblings and decided "This man clearly knows what he's doing." :downs:

More likely that they don't really know much about the minis marketplace, and are taking the 'short term loss for long term gain' nonsense at face value

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Or that people who know the markets might know a bit more than us and have decided that the numbers are still solid and are backing it to recover.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

NTRabbit posted:

More likely that they don't really know much about the minis marketplace, and are taking the 'short term loss for long term gain' nonsense at face value

Or they just haven't taken any action quite this fast.

I'd be frankly astonished if there was no fallout for this at all, ever, in terms of GW's stock. I mean, there was a marked drop back in December/January, right? That's how the whole deathwatch thing started. And that was with less bad news, as far as I can tell.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

JerryLee posted:

Or they just haven't taken any action quite this fast.

I'd be frankly astonished if there was no fallout for this at all, ever, in terms of GW's stock. I mean, there was a marked drop back in December/January, right? That's how the whole deathwatch thing started. And that was with less bad news, as far as I can tell.

It was actually worse in the half year report, the sales figures have actually improved in the 2nd half of the year which I believe is influencing investors. The stock price is higher than it has been for a month today.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

It was actually worse in the half year report, the sales figures have actually improved in the 2nd half of the year which I believe is influencing investors. The stock price is higher than it has been for a month today.

Ahh, good to know. I thought there was some reason why the initial analysis suggested the recent report to be really bad--maybe it was that their sales revenue hadn't improved by enough for the amount of deck-chair rearranging they were doing (pushing 7th out on all of us, etc.)?

Anyway, I guess we'll see.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

JerryLee posted:

Ahh, good to know. I thought there was some reason why the initial analysis suggested the recent report to be really bad--maybe it was that their sales revenue hadn't improved by enough for the amount of deck-chair rearranging they were doing (pushing 7th out on all of us, etc.)?

Anyway, I guess we'll see.

The majority of 7th ed won't be on that report. There would only be 1 week of pure sales at the end, which wouldnt give them the rise. If you remove the first 6 months of the year, and the £4 mil they spent sacking their european people off then it would have been a decent, if not spectacular set of figures.

If they had continued at the same rate as the half years suggested, they'd have come in at roughly 70-80% profit loss. The fact they appear to be on an upward trend again is not a sign that its all well and good, but that they are not as poo poo as everyone expected.

TL;DR: Sky isnt falling as fast as everyone wants. Investors will probably stick since they're still relatively low risk.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Creepy Goat posted:

I probably should have written it down as I did it since I have a couple dozen other models to do too. I think it went something like this -

1) Prime grey (Army Painter spray)
2) Basecoat Rakarth Flesh (Dheneb Stone)
3) Light Devlan Mud wash into crevices/shadows etc
4) One light layer of Seraphim Sepia all over
5) Highlights in Rakarth Flesh (or 2:1 Bleached Bone to Rakarth if you like harder edges)
6) Heavy wash of Seraphim Sepia all over

You can sort of see on the toes, the winged shoulder pad & the shield where my Rakarth highlights are, so if you wanted lighter just do the Bleached Bone mix and use thinner strokes.

The red is pretty easy -

Basecoat Mechrite, Blood Red highlights, then thin layer of Sepia wash to blend together.

Cape -

Basecoat Mechrite, very watered down Scab Red blended into the deepest folds, very watered down Blood Red blended onto the highest bits, light Sepia wash pulled into the creases and folds to add a bit extra shadow.

Had to clean up the inside of the cape but I'll post the back which looks really nice later.

Thanks man... I'm still a bit lost with my minotaurs. Initially I was going to go for the bronze and red but then I wanted to mirror ancient greek pottery in some way. I was then looking at doing them in terracotta armour and then doing some stencil work of blackfigure space marines on the vehicles. Then I was thinking of doing the marines in black with really strong brown/orange edge highlighting...

I'm still not decided, maybe I should do some test models

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

serious gaylord posted:

Sky isnt falling as fast as everyone wants

I can only speak for myself but I would be absolutely thrilled if GW managed to pull out of their death spiral (because they are in one, regardless of how slow it may be), turn things around, and once again become a company that sells stuff I'm more than happy to buy.

Unfortunately I don't see that happening ever, at least not without a complete jettisoning of upper management and a drastic re-thinking of their entire approach in terms of both how they view their customer base and how they price their products to move. Which, barring a buyout by Hasbro or whoever, is unlikely in the extreme.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I can only speak for myself but I would be absolutely thrilled if GW managed to pull out of their death spiral (because they are in one, regardless of how slow it may be), turn things around, and once again become a company that sells stuff I'm more than happy to buy.

Unfortunately I don't see that happening ever, at least not without a complete jettisoning of upper management and a drastic re-thinking of their entire approach in terms of both how they view their customer base and how they price their products to move. Which, barring a buyout by Hasbro or whoever, is unlikely in the extreme.

Kirby is gone in january. You're going to see changes then.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
The question being, of course, "What kind of changes?"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

serious gaylord posted:

Kirby is gone in january. You're going to see changes then.

My understanding is that he is stepping down from the CEO spot, but will very likely be in a chairman position, so I'm somewhat skeptical that any really serious changes are going to occur. But, I guess we'll see.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Glad to see Gaylord is keeping the nerds in check by actually reading the facts instead of freaking out. This thread would be unreadable without you and I felt like it needed to be said.

In other news an old warhammer friend dusted off his orks for a practice game the other day. I tried to bring my daemons in on a casual game but his inexperience, a bit of luck and probably my competetive poo poo-head brain grasped a victory from the jaws of defeat.

Pictures!

Soulgrinder proved too strong for this matchup, though I didn't expect him to take a 'Uge Choppa on his boss. He was happy with my suggestion to add a flaming wrecking ball to the top of the whip to count as AP2 and Unwieldy.

Almost swung that wrecking ball into my Heldrake's face! It hit once but didn't pen :eng99:

Might as well post my cross post oath as well...

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

My understanding is that he is stepping down from the CEO spot, but will very likely be in a chairman position, so I'm somewhat skeptical that any really serious changes are going to occur. But, I guess we'll see.

He's stepping down entirely to a non-executive chairman role. He's going to be on the board but they only ratify the CEO's decisions. There will be a new CEO and Chairman.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

serious gaylord posted:

He's stepping down entirely to a non-executive chairman role. He's going to be on the board but they only ratify the CEO's decisions. There will be a new CEO and Chairman.

Yes but considering the echo chamber he created on the board, how free of his influence will they really be? That is going to be the lingering question for quite a while

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

NTRabbit posted:

Yes but considering the echo chamber he created on the board, how free of his influence will they really be? That is going to be the lingering question for quite a while

The board has been revamped this year. There are 2 new people on it that have come from outside of GW and the longest serving member is also stepping down within the next 2 years as he's 70.

You also don't seem to understand how a board for a publically traded company works. They are responsible for, and report to, the shareholders, not Games Workshop. Kirby is a minor shareholder in comparison to the others and as such his influence on the board is minimal because of the conflict of interest. He is, for example, not allowed to vote on matters that would directly influence his position, employment or anything that is deemed as contrary to his position.

If they were found to be colluding with Kirby to maintain his position and as such directly harming the shareholders they are responsible for, that's a bit naughty and they'd be punished quite severely. So to suggest he's created an echo chamber to get what he wants is a bit of a stretch.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
WOM, both the Orks and the Tzeentch own bones. Good job to both of you.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Needs more artillery tanks. This is what I'm torn between running and Salamanders.

Iron Warriors Stor-Bezashk
Rite of War: Pride of the Legion

HQ
Praetor (Warsmith)
Cataphractii Terminator armor + volkite charger + master-crafted power fist + digital lasers
175 points

Centurion (Siege Breaker)
Cataphractii Terminator armor + volkite charger + power fist + 3 phosphex bombs
162 points

Elites
Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought
2 twin-linked lascannons + extra armor
195 points

Troops
Legion Terminator Squad
5 Terminators + 2 reaper autocannons
355 points

Legion Terminator Squad
4 Volkite Chargers + plasma blaster + 5 power fists
242 points

Heavy Support
Legion Artillery Tank Squadrom
3 Medusas + 3 extra armours + 3 phosphex shells
495 points

Legion Vindicator Tank
Dozer blade + armored ceramite
145 points

Legion Vindicator Tank
145 points

Comes in at under 2k points. Siege breaker rolls with the ten man squad, other Terminator squad sits in cover and shoots apart infantry squads, while tanks blow poo poo up.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

Cataphract posted:

Thanks man... I'm still a bit lost with my minotaurs. Initially I was going to go for the bronze and red but then I wanted to mirror ancient greek pottery in some way. I was then looking at doing them in terracotta armour and then doing some stencil work of blackfigure space marines on the vehicles. Then I was thinking of doing the marines in black with really strong brown/orange edge highlighting...

I'm still not decided, maybe I should do some test models

Paint schemes is where I always struggle too, it takes me so long to paint that I want to do something fun and also get it perfect the first time. I didn't even know I had that model, that's how long I've put off painting him!

Minotaurs are quite tough as well I think, since it's an odd colour scheme with little room for deviancy. I saw one guy who actually did them in the blue/white of Athenian military which was awesome, and I wish I'd seen it sooner else might have gone a similar route.

To be honest I'm not quite sure where I'm going with standard marines from here, might lean towards lots of red but I reckon black could work too. I'll be sure to post a couple test guys in different schemes soon.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

quote:

"My dearest Annabel,

I have returned to the front after a brief respite, continuing to progress in what some may call an act of madness. Though I may seek relief of the tortures with a diversion of fancy, the moments are fleeting and made painful themselves by the grim knowledge that they, like life itself, must end and I must return. I have elected this course of action and I must see it to the end.

As of the time of this post I have completed fully one-third of my task. I will write you again as I near the end of my journey. I thank you for the time we have shared in the past and, perhaps, look forward to fielding these goddamn Gargoyle models against you in an 1850pt game at a convenient time of your choosing.

Your Friend,
PierreTheMime"

:suicide:

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Creepy Goat posted:

Paint schemes is where I always struggle too, it takes me so long to paint that I want to do something fun and also get it perfect the first time. I didn't even know I had that model, that's how long I've put off painting him!

Minotaurs are quite tough as well I think, since it's an odd colour scheme with little room for deviancy. I saw one guy who actually did them in the blue/white of Athenian military which was awesome, and I wish I'd seen it sooner else might have gone a similar route.

To be honest I'm not quite sure where I'm going with standard marines from here, might lean towards lots of red but I reckon black could work too. I'll be sure to post a couple test guys in different schemes soon.

I'm also facing the problem of having a bronze Necron army and I'm reluctant to do another bronze army.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

DEFFSKULLS :orks101: vs. Tzeentch :cthulhu:

I cannot express how completely :neckbeard: this makes me feel, and simultaneously intimidated by the 2-color edge-highlighting on everything. I only just now picked up a brighter skin color for my boyz, whom I decided were way too dark (Warpstone over Waaagh Flesh). I'll post my SAG Big Mek when I finish him soon.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Since Blood Angels don't get their unique psychic powers at the moment, how much resistance would I run into if I wanted to pay the Codex: Space Marine pts instead of the Codex: Blood Angels pts for a Librarian?

C:SM Librarian Lv2 with Jump Pack- 105
C:BA Librarian Lv2 with Jump Pack- 175

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Since Blood Angels don't get their unique psychic powers at the moment, how much resistance would I run into if I wanted to pay the Codex: Space Marine pts instead of the Codex: Blood Angels pts for a Librarian?

I personally wouldn't care too much, as Space Marine Librarians aren't all that much of a threat (though they have their uses). I'm sure you'd find a lot of players who would mind, though. If you want to avoid any awkwardness, you could legally field an ally list of a SM Librarian with some stock Troop and just tack them onto the Assault Marine unit. Just call them Blood Angels in name and paint scheme but use the SM rules until you get your new book.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Imperial Knight - Bane of the Treacherous ready for war!

And Cain + Abel - twin Punishers (one has my version of Pask on it) - I'm using them as a Command Punisher duo

(bonus shoutout to Striking Scorpion 82 in the background there)

Edit: Album - http://imgur.com/a/c9J5Q

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/News/FORGE_WORLD_BULLETIN_26.html

We've seen both these before but I like this angle for the Iron Warrior contemptor and is pushing me in that direction, away from Salamanders. Just give me Tyrant Siege terminators.

I still don't like the front. It looks too orky for me. Love the head though.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

BULBASAUR, how many Vindicators is too many Vindicators in a Iron Warriors 30k list?

Bring 3 and then the super heavy that's basically an AV14 vindicator

Real answer: 2 is the sweet spot.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Needs more artillery tanks. This is what I'm torn between running and Salamanders.

Iron Warriors Stor-Bezashk
Rite of War: Pride of the Legion

HQ
Praetor (Warsmith)
Cataphractii Terminator armor + volkite charger + master-crafted power fist + digital lasers
175 points

Centurion (Siege Breaker)
Cataphractii Terminator armor + volkite charger + power fist + 3 phosphex bombs
162 points

Elites
Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought
2 twin-linked lascannons + extra armor
195 points

Troops
Legion Terminator Squad
5 Terminators + 2 reaper autocannons
355 points

Legion Terminator Squad
4 Volkite Chargers + plasma blaster + 5 power fists
242 points

Heavy Support
Legion Artillery Tank Squadrom
3 Medusas + 3 extra armours + 3 phosphex shells
495 points

Legion Vindicator Tank
145 points

Legion Vindicator Tank
145 points

Comes in at under 2k points. Siege breaker rolls with the ten man squad, other Terminator squad sits in cover and shoots apart infantry squads, while tanks blow poo poo up.

Fluffy as gently caress and would be fun to play. Some thoughts, take them or leave them:
  • Armored ceramite is expensive and I don’t see much melta, I would prefer POTMS for the vindicators (guarantees they will fire every turn they are alive)
  • Pride of the legion is a mediocre ROW. Consider taking the HQ dude that makes terminators troops instead or the loyalist war smith that costs the same and has better rules
  • Phosphex sucks on Medusas. I dunno if siege breakers are worth it. Use those points somewhere else.
  • Consider the Iron Warrior ROW. You would save ~50 points on free extra armor upgrades for all your tanks. You can then put an Iron Havoc squad with missile launchers onto a bastion with ammo dump for your 4th HS slot to control your backfield and kill all fliers/skimmers ever
  • Consider dreadclaws for your terminator troops (I have come around and believe dreadclaws are 100 point ghetto assault rams, IE: pretty good)

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Glad to see Gaylord is keeping the nerds in check by actually reading the facts instead of freaking out. This thread would be unreadable without you and I felt like it needed to be said.

In other news an old warhammer friend dusted off his orks for a practice game the other day. I tried to bring my daemons in on a casual game but his inexperience, a bit of luck and probably my competetive poo poo-head brain grasped a victory from the jaws of defeat.

Pictures!

Soulgrinder proved too strong for this matchup, though I didn't expect him to take a 'Uge Choppa on his boss. He was happy with my suggestion to add a flaming wrecking ball to the top of the whip to count as AP2 and Unwieldy.

Almost swung that wrecking ball into my Heldrake's face! It hit once but didn't pen :eng99:

Might as well post my cross post oath as well...

These pictures are beautiful representations of the game!

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Ghost Hand posted:

These pictures are beautiful representations of the game!

Hey Ghost Hand, I'm thinking about purchasing either a Fire Raptor or a Caestus Assault Ram soon. You have both models, right? In person, which do you prefer aesthetically?

Also, I'm planning on going to the Forge World booth at Gencon but I haven't bought Forge World at a con in like 10 years (and I missed the reservation deadline). I know things work a little differently for you, but how do real-time buyers generally go about figuring out what's in stock and then asking for it without completely holding up the line?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

For all I care, go ahead and use the BA psychic powers.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

DJ Dizzy posted:

For all I care, go ahead and use the BA psychic powers.

The problem is that several of the BA powers don't work quite right anymore due to the new psychic phase (for example, casting spells on the enemy turn.) You could probably tweak them without too much trouble, though.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Why don't you just use allies, Unbound, or play Codex: Space Marines who happen to be red? I'm pretty easygoing but when things start getting cherrypicked from codices (even if it's just appropriately-priced Librarians vs. overpriced ones) I feel like it'll always tumble out of control.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

SRM posted:

Why don't you just use allies, Unbound, or play Codex: Space Marines who happen to be red? I'm pretty easygoing but when things start getting cherrypicked from codices (even if it's just appropriately-priced Librarians vs. overpriced ones) I feel like it'll always tumble out of control.

Of those options, I'd go with Allies. I like the feeling of structure I get with using a Combined Arms detachment, and I'm a big fan of all the Blood Angels-specific stuff. I'm not too fond of The Red Thirst, which I consider that a "tax" for the unique units, but paying 35 extra points for a basic Librarian is ridiculous. That's a Drop Pod, or most of a Terminator.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Sulecrist posted:

Also, I'm planning on going to the Forge World booth at Gencon but I haven't bought Forge World at a con in like 10 years (and I missed the reservation deadline). I know things work a little differently for you, but how do real-time buyers generally go about figuring out what's in stock and then asking for it without completely holding up the line?

Don't sweat it bro, just ask one of the guys working the booth. They usually bring a decent amount of all the popular kits and characters with them. The only things they don't usually bring are stuff like chapter specific rhino doors and small junk like that.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Of those options, I'd go with Allies. I like the feeling of structure I get with using a Combined Arms detachment, and I'm a big fan of all the Blood Angels-specific stuff. I'm not too fond of The Red Thirst, which I consider that a "tax" for the unique units, but paying 35 extra points for a basic Librarian is ridiculous. That's a Drop Pod, or most of a Terminator.
Besides, an ally detachment is a good opportunity to include some of the cool newer Space Marine stuff that Blood Angels don't have yet! Sure there's one tactical squad in the chapter that for some reason doesn't have the Black Rage, but maybe they're trying to beat it by being extra-devout or something.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

SRM posted:

Besides, an ally detachment is a good opportunity to include some of the cool newer Space Marine stuff that Blood Angels don't have yet! Sure there's one tactical squad in the chapter that for some reason doesn't have the Black Rage, but maybe they're trying to beat it by being extra-devout or something.

Their blood has been secretly replaced with ice-cold beer. Let's watch!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
At this point I would not even be remotely shocked to learn that GW is being purposely mismanaged in order to force a buy out by Hasbro so someone could make a bunch of money or something.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Intentionally mismanaging a publicly traded company is a hilariously awful idea

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hollismason posted:

At this point I would not even be remotely shocked to learn that GW is being purposely mismanaged in order to force a buy out by Hasbro so someone could make a bunch of money or something.
That seems like the kind of thing that would require more coordination and planning than actually running the company well. I think that's kind of ridiculous.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Has anyone had experience with forgeplanet? Found bits from them via BuyPainted, but I've had zero communication for over 2 weeks now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Intentionally mismanaging a publicly traded company is a hilariously awful idea

So, consistent with GW's M.O.

(I'm just cracking a joke here. I don't believe it's actually happening. Remember the old adage about not assuming malice where incompetence will suffice.)

• Locked thread