Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Barnsy posted:

Yes. Most definitely. Don't ever say you'll buy it the first day, or make it sound like you've got spare cash. They'll almost always call you back with a lower offer and/or free poo poo on top. I was in the market for a new cbr250, and the original price they quoted me was 6500 for a then-of-the-year model. A week later they were saying 6k without blinking. It also helps if you're shopping at important time for them, such as the end of the year or end of financial year, where they want to meet quotas or empty stocks.

This is good advice, thanks.

And I'm well aware of the financial consequences of buying new vs. used. Still weighing my options and monitoring CL daily, the used market blows here.

And what's up with $6k+ for those ninja/cbr250's? The MSRP on the 300 is 4400, if I get to the dealer and they're asking 6k I'm going to laugh and turn around.

CheddarGoblin fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr_bunnyfish
Feb 6, 2012
I got pre-approved at about 9.75% APR, is that lower than what a dealership would offer?

edit: i realize this is probably a stupid question, I just want to know if I should even bother asking dealers about financing and stuff.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Don't finance a bike at 10% dawg

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

mr_bunnyfish posted:

I got pre-approved at about 9.75% APR, is that lower than what a dealership would offer?

edit: i realize this is probably a stupid question, I just want to know if I should even bother asking dealers about financing and stuff.

That seems really high, but then again I haven't been in the loan market for a while. How's your credit score in general? Do you have any credit cards with high balances?

From what I've heard, lots of manufacturers that dabble in financing as well (think Honda, H-D, Ducati now that they're owned by Audi/VW) can offer some lower interest rates to drum up sales, much like you'd see with cars. Honestly, though, if this is your first bike or a cheaper bike in general, I'd seriously consider trying to buy it with cash outright. Or if you really need a bike and are wiling to take a loan, make sure you have full insurance (including collision/theft/etc.) and gap insurance. If you lowside the bike into a guardrail and gently caress the suspension or chassis you might be making loan payments on a worthless, crumpled pile of steel and aluminum, and that would suck.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

the nicker posted:

This is good advice, thanks.

And I'm well aware of the financial consequences of buying new vs. used.

The financial consequences are even worse (or at least more painful) with a first motorcycle, because you're likely to drop it at some point in the first couple of weeks or months of ownership, and then you'll feel extra dumb having cracked the plastics and chopped another thousand dollars off its value.

Your scooter experience means you're not coming into it blind, but the motorcycle definitely gives you more weight to deal with and different low-speed dynamics. Just something to consider.

mr_bunnyfish
Feb 6, 2012

Ripoff posted:

That seems really high, but then again I haven't been in the loan market for a while. How's your credit score in general? Do you have any credit cards with high balances?

From what I've heard, lots of manufacturers that dabble in financing as well (think Honda, H-D, Ducati now that they're owned by Audi/VW) can offer some lower interest rates to drum up sales, much like you'd see with cars. Honestly, though, if this is your first bike or a cheaper bike in general, I'd seriously consider trying to buy it with cash outright. Or if you really need a bike and are wiling to take a loan, make sure you have full insurance (including collision/theft/etc.) and gap insurance. If you lowside the bike into a guardrail and gently caress the suspension or chassis you might be making loan payments on a worthless, crumpled pile of steel and aluminum, and that would suck.

My credit score is really good. I have a student loan that I'm currently paying off, but I don't have credit cards with balances or anything. It seemed high to me too, but the lady at the bank said it was lower than average for a used vehicle loan. I'm definitely planning on full coverage since whatever bike I get will be my only mode of transportation. I guess it wouldn't hurt to look around and see if a dealer could get me a better rate. Thanks for the advice

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

mr_bunnyfish posted:

My credit score is really good. I have a student loan that I'm currently paying off, but I don't have credit cards with balances or anything. It seemed high to me too, but the lady at the bank said it was lower than average for a used vehicle loan. I'm definitely planning on full coverage since whatever bike I get will be my only mode of transportation. I guess it wouldn't hurt to look around and see if a dealer could get me a better rate. Thanks for the advice

Why are you getting a used bike from a dealer?

mr_bunnyfish
Feb 6, 2012

M. Night Skymall posted:

Why are you getting a used bike from a dealer?

I'm not set on it. I've been hunting CL for a long-rear end time though and good poo poo seems pretty scarce. There's someone selling an 08 SV650s for 4500 dollars and it's the only one I've seen that hasn't been made into a "street fighter" for awhile. I'm definitely keeping my eye out but I thought I'd look around at dealerships while I'm at it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
One advantage of buying new (in the UK at least) is it's normally easily the cheapest way to get a loan. I got my Shiver on 0% finance and most manufacturers are offering loans between 0 and 5% (apart from Triumph who just seem not to give a gently caress and are offering a worst rate than I get on my credit card, let alone on a personal loan).

From big chain dealers you might not be able to get a particularly great discount off the cash price (especially if you're getting it on finance) but you can normally get them to throw in free/heavily discounted kit. I got a free jacket, trousers and boots and heavily discounted crash helmet and gloves - worked out about £800 (more than 10% of the price of the bike) off all in all.

Ultimately never be scared to make a silly low offer - the dealer's not going to throw you out or punch you, and if they're desperate you never know your luck. In the UK at least going in either at the end of the financial year or plate half-year (when they're desperate to hit their targets) or end of the model year or (for used bikes) end of the summer when they're desperate to get stock out the door you can sometimes get some really silly deals.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If you have good credit, you should be in the 4-5% range.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Are there any other places to look for used bikes aside from Craigslist, local dealers, and Cycletrader.com? Am I missing anywhere?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

SquadronROE posted:

Are there any other places to look for used bikes aside from Craigslist, local dealers, and Cycletrader.com? Am I missing anywhere?

E-bay is the other obvious spot. If there are any local rider forums, bay area riders for example.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
In my opinion, those are the best bets. You can also check ebay motors (search by your area), and local/bike specific forums. Your prices are pretty nice, but I'm surprised SC doesn't have a bigger bike market. It seems like hooning and cruising is a big pastime there.

efb, etc

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Yeah, the prices are nice. I don't really like the look of sport bikes though (I am a fan of Standards) so I'm being a bit picky. By the way, the SV650 guy close to me still hasn't gotten back to me, and Myrtle Beach is pretty far considering I'd need it delivered (I don't feel confident riding the roads I'd have to ride it on safely).

The roads are pretty boring, truth be told. Unless you're in the mountains, which I'm not. Mostly people seem to be into cruising here.

Funny enough this is the only bike within 50 miles of me on eBay motors:

http://r.ebay.com/ZRb0pS

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011

SquadronROE posted:

Looks like the decision has been made for you then

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

SquadronROE posted:

Yeah, the prices are nice. I don't really like the look of sport bikes though (I am a fan of Standards) so I'm being a bit picky. By the way, the SV650 guy close to me still hasn't gotten back to me, and Myrtle Beach is pretty far considering I'd need it delivered (I don't feel confident riding the roads I'd have to ride it on safely).

The roads are pretty boring, truth be told. Unless you're in the mountains, which I'm not. Mostly people seem to be into cruising here.

If this is your first bike I don't think it's worth it to be very picky. Find something that fits and runs well and doesn't need a lot of immediate attention. Guaranteed once you get some miles behind you, you'll have a much better idea of the kind of riding you like to do. That will be the time to get picky, and at that point all the "new rider" limitations you're putting on the search will loosen up and you'll find something perfect.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Don't forget that, if you absolutely must finance a bike, taking a loan from your IRA/401(k) can be a good low cost option.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
I've seem worse terms, but in today's market, 9.75% is excessive. Try a local credit union if you absolutely must finance, or maybe work a true 0% CC into the mix to take the effective rate down a few notches. Loans via moto dealerships are usually a mistake, and CA's back pages have several accounts of unread fine print and people winding up underwater. Keep in mind that if you buy new, full coverage will be mandatory.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Radbot posted:

Don't forget that, if you absolutely must finance a bike, taking a loan from your IRA/401(k) can be a good low cost option.

Not if you ask BFC. Seriously, don't buy more vehicle than you can afford. If you really want to borrow money, just find whatever manufacturer is offering 0% this week and go with them.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I'm financing my bike at 18%. Not a good idea but I don't regret it.

vvvv I'm with Honda financial lol

Schroeder91 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 31, 2014

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

MrKatharsis posted:

Not if you ask BFC. Seriously, don't buy more vehicle than you can afford. If you really want to borrow money, just find whatever manufacturer is offering 0% this week and go with them.

Like I said, it's not a good idea, but paying yourself 4-5% interest is sure as gently caress better than paying Honda Financial or whatever 18 loving percent.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

SquadronROE posted:

I don't really like the look of sport bikes though (I am a fan of Standards)

It's also worth noting that a lot of the bikes sold as 'sport' bikes in the US are really standards (and have standard riding positions with proper handlebars and mid controls), often with fairings tacked on because your typical American gixxerbrah won't buy a bike unless it has fairings and 'sport' in the name somewhere. Standard refers to a particular set of ergonomics/layout of the bike, it's got little to do with how a bike looks.

All of these are standard bikes currently sold in the US:

None of them have much visual similarity to any of the others, but note how they all have the same upright, relaxed riding position, compared to the much more aggressive ergonomics of an actual sport bike:

What you may be intending to say is "I like the look of old bikes", but you should probably not get an old bike as your first/only bike because old bikes can be a bitch to keep running well/get parts for.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Ahamay dЯ is finest Turkmenistan racing motorcycle! Very fast. You buy now I give deal: free boots of Soviet Army. Or rifle of Kalashnikov, you choose.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

That's a good post. A quality post, and you hit the nail on the head as did someone else above. For my first bike I'm being too picky. I just need something cheap and reliable, then I'll save up more money and get the Royal Enfield I really want at a later point when I am pretty sure I won't drop it and ruin the pretty paint work.

It's more the riding position and size of the bike that will matter for now. Later I can go on aesthetics.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Does that dude seem really huge on that FZ-07?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SquadronROE posted:

That's a good post. A quality post, and you hit the nail on the head as did someone else above. For my first bike I'm being too picky. I just need something cheap and reliable, then I'll save up more money and get the Royal Enfield I really want at a later point when I am pretty sure I won't drop it and ruin the pretty paint work.

It's more the riding position and size of the bike that will matter for now. Later I can go on aesthetics.

Realtalk: you really strike me as one of those people who endlessly go on about getting a bike and riding a bike but you're more in love with the idea of being a 'bike rider' than actually riding the loving things. Just go out and buy a cheap lovely SV or something, flick it six months from now and buy something else. Or stop talking about hypotheticals.

Radbot posted:

Does that dude seem really huge on that FZ-07?

He certainly looks like a giant but there might be a slight tilt to the perspective or a funny sort of zoom making it look that way. The girl looks huge on the R6, too. Bikes just look weird when riders are on them, I dunno.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Slavvy posted:

Realtalk: you really strike me as one of those people who endlessly go on about getting a bike and riding a bike but you're more in love with the idea of being a 'bike rider' than actually riding the loving things. Just go out and buy a cheap lovely SV or something, flick it six months from now and buy something else. Or stop talking about hypotheticals.

That's an interesting thought. I guess coming from someone with the 2nd most posts per day in this forum you'd know what you're talking about :
http://forums.somethingawful.com/stats.php?statid=7&t_forumid=236#jump

I guess you are someone who is in love wth telling everyone else that you are a bike rider.

n8r fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 31, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

n8r posted:

That's an interesting thought. I guess coming from someone with the 2nd most posts per day in this forum you'd know what you're talking about :

I guess you are someone who is in love well telling everyone else that you are a bike rider.

3/10

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Lol Tsaven Nava posted so much that he's still in the list.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Way way back in the day there were two posters whose names I've long forgotten who would both get probation if either of them ever quoted the other and then eventually if they even ever happened to post on the same page.

Sometimes, just sometimes, the old ways were the best.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

^^^ before my time, also hilarious.

MrKatharsis posted:

I noticed that too.

Also what happened to frozenphil anyways, that guy was cool.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

Also what happened to frozenphil anyways, that guy was cool.

Finally murdered by or murdered his ex-wife/trapped under a rotten poo poo heap of a mustang in a garage somewhere dying of malnourishment.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Spiffness posted:

Finally murdered by or murdered his ex-wife/trapped under a rotten poo poo heap of a mustang in a garage somewhere dying of malnourishment.

Now that's funny. ALMOST as funny as Retarded Pimp comparing a Harley meet to a Philip Glass song (probably the only place those two things will ever be found in the same sentence.)

I have a PM from Frozen written three years ago with a subject line implying he wanted to be my, errr, special friend. Sadly, it was only an invite to Vintage Bike Days at Barber. Such a kidder! Agreed, someone please issue an APB.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Marv Hushman posted:

Now that's funny. ALMOST as funny as Retarded Pimp comparing a Harley meet to a Philip Glass song (probably the only place those two things will ever be found in the same sentence.)

I'd like to hear this joke. I think I can imagine where it goes, though. Something like the Philip Glass knock-knock joke?

Knock-knock.
Who's there?
Philip Glass.
Phillip Glass who?
Philip Glass.
...Philip Glass who?
Philip Glass.
...Philip G-
Philip Glass. Philip Glass. Philip Glass. [...]

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

Didn't someone recently blow up their DRZ just taking a road trip between LA and SF?
e: and didn't it also happen to Becktastic at the beginning of her trip? Continuous steady-state high-RPM travel isn't fun.

A few days late but that was me. However i don't actually know what caused the failure of my engine, it could just be coincidence that i was on the highway when it died.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

n8r posted:

I guess you are someone who is in love wth telling everyone else that you are a bike rider.

But...I actually have a bike...? Which I ride literally every day. So I don't know what you're saying.

I must admit I'm astounded that I post that much, all things considered; I need a loving life, apparently.

Chichevache posted:

A few days late but that was me. However i don't actually know what caused the failure of my engine, it could just be coincidence that i was on the highway when it died.

Maybe it had something else that was borderline (low oil level, clogged blocked filter, whatever) that made it blow up instead of suffering on when you were on the highway.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

But...I actually have a bike...? Which I ride literally every day. So I don't know what you're saying.

I must admit I'm astounded that I post that much, all things considered; I need a loving life, apparently.

Maybe it had something else that was borderline (low oil level, clogged blocked filter, whatever) that made it blow up instead of suffering on when you were on the highway.

The only thing i know it wasn't was low oil. :argh:

I actually ran into a really cool BMW rider (late 40s Austrian man with a Rev'It suit and earplugs and a ponytail that flew behind him as he rode) who seemed very knowledgeable. He said a friend of his had a similar situation where he bought a 10 year old DRZ with low miles and the engine failed shortly afterward. His conclusion had been that poor maintenance by POs as well as negligible use had contributed to engine failure. Obviously I'm no expert but it seemed plausible to me.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Sagebrush posted:

I'd like to hear this joke.

I've always found the search/filter function on this thing to be a counter-intuitive POS, so maybe he'll happen along and comment. Something about the predictability of each bike as it went past, with barely detectable changes here and there. So I suppose it may have been more accurate to compare them to Tangerine Dream.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

My oh my, it's Marv Hushman, the other resident zombie. Welcome back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

MrKatharsis posted:

Those were dark times. In hindsight.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Way way back in the day there were two posters whose names I've long forgotten who would both get probation if either of them ever quoted the other and then eventually if they even ever happened to post on the same page.

Sometimes, just sometimes, the old ways were the best.

Dang, that's funny.