Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Sarchasm posted:

The complaint with waggle is always "Why isn't this a button?" And it's a usually a valid complaint because a button press is a simpler and more reliable motion.

It works well enough in Galaxy that I don't mind it, but having the spin on a button would definitely be preferable.

Serious question, what button would you put it on, given the Wii Remote and the existing controls? It has to be something you can easily hit at the same time or very quickly with jump; The camera on the D-Pad, jump is A, the star bits are B, duck/ground pound is on Z and the camera reset is on C. 1 and 2 are way on the bottom of the remote, and plus/minus are doable, but inconvenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I guess A could be spin while he's in midair, kind of like a double jump but I was always perfectly fine with the motion controls.

E: I dunno what you'd do on the ground though.

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 31, 2014

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

mancalamania posted:

I don't understand how someone can dislike the Galaxy games but like 3D World or vice versa. The Galaxy games were much closer to 3D World than 64/Sunshine. The majority of the levels in the Galaxy games (pretty much every level in 2) were linear point-a-to-point-b obstacle course style levels, just like 3D World. The only difference is Galaxy hid this a bit with the planets and other space aesthetics, where you felt like you could go off in all directions even though you were still on a pretty much direct track through the level. Also the games still used the "Mission" structure of 64/Sunshine where you revisit the same world multiple times, but the dirty secret is that each Mission was basically a new level and would gate you off to a completely different linear path through the level.

The weird exceptions like that Big Tree level in Galaxy 1 (which gets reused as Big Autumn Tree level later in the game for some baffling reason) were definitely the worst levels in the games, and I say that as someone that also likes the 64/Sunshine exploration-style platformer.

And collecting Starbits with the Wiimote was great because it gave my fidgety hands something to do during the slower parts of the game.

Hello, I'm the guy who doesn't like Galaxy but does like 3D World.

-Having to point at stars broke flow. I had to control two entities on screen, Mario and the cursor. This gave me a sense that I was missing out and not playing to my potential if I tried to ignore the stars, but it slowed down the game enough when I felt the need to have to hunt and peck all over the screen in case I missed any stars.
-Flicking the remote to spin isn't as reliably exact as just pressing a button to attack, and there was something not so fun about the spin that I can't really put my finger on - it feels, I guess, directionless? Like, I don't get the visceral feeling of attacking an enemy directly, I just kind of spin and plow into them and that's my attack. There's no finesse to it.
-I felt like there were too many situations where gravity was inconsistent - you could fall off the level thinking you're going the way you're supposed to, or get stuck thinking the way you're supposed to go will kill you.
-I didn't like the bee suit
-Rozalina is boring as poo poo, I genuinely thought she was supposed to be some thinly-disguised Princess Peach. Why is she in Smash 4 but Waluigi isn't, I'd think everyone's favorite Snidely Whiplash knockoff would be more fun than an emo woman from outer space

However, 3D World was just really fun and well designed I guess? Levels were shorter than in Galaxy, too, which is a plus for me.

Trent posted:

I really don't understand the waggle complaints for Galaxy. (Hey guys waggle right? WAGGLE) Sounds like a floppy dick or something. It's just a tiny flick of the wrist. Nothing has to flop around and waggle.

It felt really natural to me and was (I thought) one of the best and actually good uses of motion controls. I understand how not everyone likes the same thing, but I don't understand the waggle complaint.

I've already got some repetitive stress injury pain so having to flick to attack really doesn't help. And the fact that a button assignment would have been perfectly fine but there isn't one is just really frustrating. That's why the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess is more sought-after than the Wii version, after all.

Artix posted:

Serious question, what button would you put it on, given the Wii Remote and the existing controls? It has to be something you can easily hit at the same time or very quickly with jump; The camera on the D-Pad, jump is A, the star bits are B, duck/ground pound is on Z and the camera reset is on C. 1 and 2 are way on the bottom of the remote, and plus/minus are doable, but inconvenient.

B, and remove the ability to shoot star bits. Any time you need to shoot them to progress, they'll just fire automatically.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kaubocks posted:

Bullshit. I'll fight you.

In my defense, I am very fond of liberation missions and I would totally buy BN5 again just for those. Oh, and Chaos Unison is a lot of fun too.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I liked pointing at star bits, it requires like 5% of your attention so it's something to idly do when running from place to place, or a mini-challenge to grab as many as you can when you're being shot from star to star. If you're OCD and need to grab them all then yeah I can see why it sucked for you.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Spectacle Rock posted:

Do you think we will get a game that flows with the
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy II

type of Mario game? 3D World, Single Player, great graphics, big open worlds.

I really want another Super Mario Galaxy like game; they are the true Mario games as far as I am concerned. The 2D/2Dish stuff is okay and even fun, but I can't get enough of the real 3D Mario games! I really hope one is in the works for the Wii U.

Can you imagine how cool a Wii U open world Mario game would be? One where you could explore the Mushroom Kingdom in all its glory, with all the classic Mario-style shenanigans? That would just be so awesome I'm amazed someone at Nintendo hasn't thought of it yet.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Captain Mog posted:

Can you imagine how cool a Wii U open world Mario game would be? One where you could explore the Mushroom Kingdom in all its glory, with all the classic Mario-style shenanigans? That would just be so awesome I'm amazed someone at Nintendo hasn't thought of it yet.

I'm sure someone there has thought of it.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Artix posted:

All this proves is that the wiimote has too few (or too inconveniently-placed) buttons compared to a standard controller.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

Holy poo poo Mega Man Battle Network. I played the (third?) game compulsively when I was young. Like, the cartrage broke from overuse, and yet somehow I never actually beat the game. I uhh... I might have to go and play this. Is it really bad? Is it going to be really bad? I mean, I can deal with really bad, just not... reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally bad, if you catch my drift.
As an AVID MMBN2, 3, and 6 fan, I have no desire to ever play MMBN1 again. The battle system isn't as refined, the maps are huge and windy and nondescript, and it holds the title of containing the worst dungeon in the entire franchise.

That being said the game rocked poo poo back when it first came out and I will defend anyone's right to say it's an amazing game-- it just really hasn't aged well.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Artix posted:

Serious question, what button would you put it on, given the Wii Remote and the existing controls?

I didn't really have an alternate button placement in mind when I said that, I was just laying out the argument. I'd prefer to have the spin attack on a button, but I don't see that any buttons are free so I guess I'm just poo poo outta luck.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
Don't get MMBN1, wait until 2 and 3 gets released.

ChaosArgate posted:

In my defense, I am very fond of liberation missions and I would totally buy BN5 again just for those. Oh, and Chaos Unison is a lot of fun too.
Liberation Missions were the best thing in any Mega Man game, but it's a shame that Battle Network 5 has such a bad chip selection, especially consideing V2 and V3 viruses were unavailable until postgame. I'd play a MMBN with only liberation missions.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I liked Galaxy 1 and 2 but I still don't get the hype over them. With how thin and linear the levels were it really didn't lend itself to the "multiple stars in one area" type structure that 64 and Sunshine had and a lot of the levels just felt kinda eehh.

3DWorld had none of the levels repeat until the very end of it and was constantly offering up new stages and new situations, combined with the cat suit making it better in every regards. That and the soundtrack is a thousand times better.

Sunshine however is a game I can't replay at all as a aside, every level being tropical themed makes the world feel a lot more alive but doesn't offer much variety.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Kaubocks posted:

As an AVID MMBN2, 3, and 6 fan, I have no desire to ever play MMBN1 again. The battle system isn't as refined, the maps are huge and windy and nondescript, and it holds the title of containing the worst dungeon in the entire franchise.

That being said the game rocked poo poo back when it first came out and I will defend anyone's right to say it's an amazing game-- it just really hasn't aged well.

That's a shame, I'll play 2 and 3 if they end up hitting the E-shop however! What made this dungeon so bad? I remember the one I played having some system where you needed to sacrifice your cards to move past balls of fire or little planks of wood or something, which was really annoying.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Austrian mook posted:

That's a shame, I'll play 2 and 3 if they end up hitting the E-shop however! What made this dungeon so bad? I remember the one I played having some system where you needed to sacrifice your cards to move past balls of fire or little planks of wood or something, which was really annoying.

That one was in BN3. It's irritating, but it's not too hard to replenish your supply.

Read this to understand why that BN1 dungeon is atrocious.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I hit platinum this year already. Probably time to lay off the purchasing and start playing the drat things. It's just so easy to get free games with the DDP.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I just noticed the GBA version of Yoshis Island in the VC. That is one of my favorite SNES titles, but am I correct in assuming the GBA version has poo poo quality music? The video trailer sounds that way but I'm not sure if it's because of streaming + gamepad speakers or if it's really crap.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Wildtortilla posted:

I just noticed the GBA version of Yoshis Island in the VC. That is one of my favorite SNES titles, but am I correct in assuming the GBA version has poo poo quality music? The video trailer sounds that way but I'm not sure if it's because of streaming + gamepad speakers or if it's really crap.

Yes. This is of course the fault of the godawful sound processor the GBA had. Definitely not as bad as it could have been, but SNES games on the GBA really didn't translate well in sound fidelity.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Unfortunately, you're correct, the audio quality is noticeably worse on the GBA release. Some of the visual effects also look worse than on the SNES, such as the Fuzzy screen warping.

They also added the N64-and-later Yoshi noises to the GBA version if that matters to you. Also they hosed with the color palette, like with most SNES->GBA ports, but it's not too bad.

On the flip side, the GBA version has six extra levels.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 1, 2014

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is there any need to buy any Gamepad accessories?

e: I don't have kids or small animals.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

noirstronaut posted:

No.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

noirstronaut posted:

If you hate fingerprints then yes.

Otherwise there's no reason.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

Get a screen protector just to save yourself the annoyance.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Hyrule Warriors, no online play?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I don't think Nintendo's had a single online co-op game outside of Luigi's Mansion 2, their stance always seems to be "co-op is better when it's in the same room".

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

SystemLogoff posted:

Hyrule Warriors, no online play?

Yup, it's a legit post.

There's still online features according to the box-art but still. Nintendo continues to fear the internet, I shouldn't be surprised but I still am.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
it's inconcievable someone would want to play a game with anyone they don't live within walking distance from

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I think the nail in the coffin for me was Nintendo releasing a Mario Party game without online play. I don't expect much from Nintendo anymore and my life's been great.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I don't know, they did a good job with MK8 online and Smash bros will obviously be online. It's just loving bizarre how they flip-flop with online on their other titles.

I remember when they released a mario baseball game on the Wii, after Mario Strikers Charged' awesome online everyone assumed this title would have online as well. Nope! gently caress you!

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
This one is on Koei Tecmo, only thing Nintendo is really doing is having Aonuma advise and handle western publishing.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I wonder how Steam players handled the lack of online multiplayer for Dynasty Warriors 8...

To be honest, I forget that Dynasty Warriors games have multiplayer at all a lot of the time.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

I think the nail in the coffin for me was Nintendo releasing a Mario Party game without online play. I don't expect much from Nintendo anymore and my life's been great.
Unless you mean strictly friend vs. friend Mario Party online, I don't know why you would want an idea that sounds so fine on paper, but would work so god drat badly in execution with actual humans involved.

Though unless they got the stability perfect even friend vs. friend would be a pretty horrible experience.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Bobnumerotres posted:

I don't know, they did a good job with MK8 online and Smash bros will obviously be online. It's just loving bizarre how they flip-flop with online on their other titles.

I remember when they released a mario baseball game on the Wii, after Mario Strikers Charged' awesome online everyone assumed this title would have online as well. Nope! gently caress you!

Strikers Charged is probably WaLuigi's peak as a character so far. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6CLfZl0m88
Both that and Mario Super Sluggers needs sequels on the Wii U. Those games are a lot of fun. One of the best features of Mario Strikers Charged was playing co-op with a friend vs online opponents. Dry Bones and Toad were really good teammates to use for different reasons.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 1, 2014

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Birdo's celebration always cracked me up too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WNYZ7mAJWY

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Captain Mog posted:

Sounds pretty epic but it's missing one thing: guns.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

I cannot understand why the gently caress anyone would ever want to play a Mario Party game with people they're not in the same room with.

A Mario Party where you can't punch your friend when he steals your star is not a Mario Party I want to play.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

deadwing posted:

I cannot understand why the gently caress anyone would ever want to play a Mario Party game with people they're not in the same room with.

A Mario Party where you can't punch your friend when he steals your star is not a Mario Party I want to play.

Safety reasons is a perfectly valid reason.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I hate that expression. I would never want to play a game where idiots punch each other because they don't like how the game is going, holy poo poo. If you play Mario Party like that, get a loving grip.

The reason Mario Party online would suck is because every game takes like 1-2 hours, is slow as hell, and the fun is somewhat reliant on secondary social interaction while the game is ongoing.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
gently caress that, if I can play MP with actual friends I know around the world, I'm going to do that so hard.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Mercury Crusader posted:

I wonder how Steam players handled the lack of online multiplayer for Dynasty Warriors 8...

To be honest, I forget that Dynasty Warriors games have multiplayer at all a lot of the time.

Pretty easily. Online play in DW games is not good. They don't sync the positions of enemies between players so you end up seeing people killing officers from all the way across the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

greatn posted:

I hate that expression. I would never want to play a game where idiots punch each other because they don't like how the game is going, holy poo poo. If you play Mario Party like that, get a loving grip.

lol if you don't play mario party piss drunk

• Locked thread