Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Yeah the comic game playthroughs are funniest when they have Pat being miserable through them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
"You know what I mean" Oh god this series is going to take 100 parts, isn't it.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

TheRealestMatt posted:

Sorry I haven't posted in a bit, as I've been feverishly editing the entire Week of Ninja Turtles, starting this Monday, as well as the 1 hr 39 min finale of Superfriends! Hope you guys enjoy it! I'll be fine in Cuba, going with my gf to a 4 star resort, and Cuba loves Canadians. Thanks for the concern though!

I saw that comment about someone's wife not digging it when Pat yells alot. I just saw a comment on the DC Scribblenauts of a few people complaining about when I yell. This is a slippy slope, because you want to be hype and not appear like you're just going through the motions or bored. Do I yell too much? What is a good balance?

Not sure if I'll even have decent internet access where I am, so you might not see me again for a bit, but I'll try to be around more once I'm back!

1hr and 39 minutes of Superman 64?!? You're stronger men than I and I own the game. Also "It'll be fine, I hear they LOVE Canadians" will be great words on your tombstone next to "The grave have started to move"

Also don't worry about yelling. The best part of the Nuzlocke stream was when Pat got there and was getting dumb excited for crits and getting hype and poo poo. The best part of the Nintendo E3 video besides your faces when they reveal what NU-ZELDA looks like is when you're all yucking it up when Iwata and Reggie fight. Just be your dumb dorky selves and we'll keep watching. Have a good time and do absolutely 0 loving work.

Also read All Star Superman you shitbox.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Don't read All-Star Superman, just watch Max Landis' video on Death and Return of Superman.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Beef Waifu posted:

Don't read All-Star Superman, just watch Max Landis' video on Death and Return of Superman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PlwDbSYicM

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Tae posted:

"You know what I mean" Oh god this series is going to take 100 parts, isn't it.

I didn't notice the knowhaimeans but I was totally noticing the perfects

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Commissar Ken posted:

Just be your dumb dorky selves and we'll keep watching. Have a good time and do absolutely 0 loving work.

I just want to piggy back onto this point because I really think it's a great post and an important point. What I find most charming about the super best friends is how the boys are 100% real in all of their videos- there is absolutely no pandering, no irony, no disingenuous bullshit whatsoever and it's refreshing now that we live in an age where everyone is on eggshells to not offend someone and have to apologize later.

I made a point a month or two ago that even though I'm no big fan of Anime I'm really sick and tired of most people on this forum and elsewhere going out of their way to point out how much they hate all anime if it's ever mentioned to the point where it's just white noise to me now. I respect the gently caress out of Liam that he doesn't buy into that given the cultural fad and continues to like what he likes. Just like what you loving like! I respect people that don't give a gently caress and don't bother breaking their backs qualifying/apologizing for poo poo that they enjoy :)

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Liam still sucks tho

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

AXE COP posted:

Liam still sucks tho

He's just a babby, he doesn't know any better.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

I just want to piggy back onto this point because I really think it's a great post and an important point. What I find most charming about the super best friends is how the boys are 100% real in all of their videos- there is absolutely no pandering, no irony, no disingenuous bullshit whatsoever and it's refreshing now that we live in an age where everyone is on eggshells to not offend someone and have to apologize later.

I made a point a month or two ago that even though I'm no big fan of Anime I'm really sick and tired of most people on this forum and elsewhere going out of their way to point out how much they hate all anime if it's ever mentioned to the point where it's just white noise to me now. I respect the gently caress out of Liam that he doesn't buy into that given the cultural fad and continues to like what he likes. Just like what you loving like! I respect people that don't give a gently caress and don't bother breaking their backs qualifying/apologizing for poo poo that they enjoy :)

Having said that tell Liam to stop trying to sell us on a game for loving SAO, I'm deeply afraid he might succeed.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

beep by grandpa posted:

Yeah, I can't stand anime in general outside of a few shows, but I respect Liam's love for it, and I respect that he approaches the topic and talks passionately about it with the same candor and enthusiasm that everyone in the group has for their own things. That energy and earnest enthusiasm is what makes the SBF unique and really the main reason I enjoy tuning in so much, even when it's 3 hours of podcast about topics I couldn't give less of a poo poo about. They're just a fun group to listen to.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Beef Waifu posted:

Don't watch Max Landis' anything as he's kinda a douchey hack. Return of Superman video was alright and Chronicle wasn't bad. But read All Star Superman though.

beep by grandpa posted:

Yeah he can be alright. Except about the Vita. Tell him to calm down about the loving Vita, nobody gives a poo poo about the loving Vita.

Vita.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
SBF is one of the few that understands liking or not liking anime is the same thing as saying not liking movies or books. I never see anyone compare Dora the Explorer with King of the Hill just because they're both drawn. It's just dumb to put it all under the same umbrella.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Tae posted:

SBF is one of the few that understands liking or not liking anime is the same thing as saying not liking movies or books. I never see anyone compare Dora the Explorer with King of the Hill just because they're both drawn. It's just dumb to put it all under the same umbrella.
I've never, ever understood why so many people think anime is a genre.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

AXE COP posted:

Liam still sucks tho
I've posted my critical thoughts on Liam before but I'm definitely going to be more reserved about it going forward as it'll feel super dirty and awkward trash talking a dude as his irl friend posts in our thread, haha.

I have hope for Liam, though. As he grows older eventually the bitter taste of the world will crush and twist the life out of his being until all that's left of him is Pat.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Liam sucks not because of anime but because of his insistence of playing devil's advocate for the most inane poo poo. And if he gets backed into a corner by the argument, he tends to go with "well that's my opinion" or similar copouts instead of admitting he might be wrong.

Also I will never forget how he unironically brought up Rapelay in conversation(mostly because of Pat's flabbergasted reaction).

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

Rodyle posted:

I've never, ever understood why so many people think anime is a genre.

Anime as a genre tag does what a good genre tag does: it's a label specific enough that you know pretty well what a person is talking about when they mention it without the label being so specific that it becomes jargon or priggishness borne of nerd gerrymandering

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Sad Mammal posted:

Anime as a genre tag does what a good genre tag does: it's a label specific enough that you know pretty well what a person is talking about when they mention it without the label being so specific that it becomes jargon or priggishness borne of nerd gerrymandering

Except all it means is "animation from Japan" which is stupid. It's like saying British film is a genre.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

Rodyle posted:

Except all it means is "animation from Japan" which is stupid. It's like saying British film is a genre.

If British film targeted niches that were a rarity in non-British film it would be an acceptable genre.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rodyle posted:

Except all it means is "animation from Japan" which is stupid.

That... is a genre, though? There are different sub-genres that are created by the contents of the anime in question, sure, but 'anime' is the qualifier for it. Like, you can't include 'bishounen' without saying 'bishounen anime' outside of Japan because Western culture is entirely different and if you say the former people won't have any point of reference for what you're talking about.

What I think you're calling stupid is that people will just use anime to mean "animation from Japan" because that's what it's a foreshortening of, but nobody who has any knowledge on the subject does that.

The only time you hear people sum up the entire genre is when they say "I don't like anime" in a huffy voice, and by that point you already know they're an idiot and not worth talking to. They're like the people who sum up their music taste as "I listen to anything except for rap and country".

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 1, 2014

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. Wonderful 101 finale. The best game of last year in a year that a loving new Mario game came out.

http://superbestfriendsplay.com/video/wonderful-101-amazing-superfriends-finale/

The only bad thing about this is it's gonna make me play through it again and i'm juggling like 3 games as it is.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

CJacobs posted:

The only time you hear people sum up the entire genre is when they say "I don't like anime" in a huffy voice, and by that point you already know they're an idiot and not worth talking to. They're like the people who sum up their music taste as "I listen to anything except for rap and country".
It's this exact behavior that I'm complaining about though?

Sad Mammal posted:

If British film targeted niches that were a rarity in non-British film it would be an acceptable genre.

Comedy is a genre, action is a genre, romance is a genre, so are horror, scifi, and historical fiction. Any and all of these can be represented in anime/manga. Because as Pat said in the podcast, those aren't genres, they are mediums. All they words mean is animation/comics from a specific country, just like "manwha" refers to Korean comics. Yes there are weird subgenres that you will probably only see coming out of various different countries but that doesn't mean you can declare equivalency between those subgenres and the country's whole output.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Commissar Ken posted:

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. Wonderful 101 finale. The best game of last year in a year that a loving new Mario game came out.

http://superbestfriendsplay.com/video/wonderful-101-amazing-superfriends-finale/

The only bad thing about this is it's gonna make me play through it again and i'm juggling like 3 games as it is.

I'm vaguely considering getting a Wii U next year when Nintendo finishes all the new, exciting stuff that they should have delayed the Wii U for, and when I do I'm definitely getting this game along with it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rodyle posted:

It's this exact behavior that I'm complaining about though?

Oh. I figured you were just complaining about people calling eastern animation "anime", sub-genre qualifier or not, which people do gripe about sometimes. There are some people out there that really just don't like the term 'anime' because they are overly anal about their subcultures or whatever.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Oh. I figured you were just complaining about people calling eastern animation "anime", sub-genre qualifier or not, which people do gripe about sometimes. There are some people out there that really just don't like the term 'anime' because they are overly anal about their subcultures or whatever.

Oh no I use it myself constantly, it's simple shorthand. It does cause a problem if you're trying to recommend a series to someone who isn't too familiar because the moment you call something "anime" they'll just probably think of DBZ or something. But then again, 90% of the time all I'm suggesting is Baccano, where the problem is easily solved by saying "it's about 30s mobsters, but they know kung fu."

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

If you're watching Chip Cheezum's LP of Wonderful 101 the video is spoilers right from the beginning, but they catch up to him in terms of level progression at about 20 minutes.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Silentman0 posted:

I'm vaguely considering getting a Wii U next year when Nintendo finishes all the new, exciting stuff that they should have delayed the Wii U for, and when I do I'm definitely getting this game along with it.

The WiiU is pretty dope nasty and has a good chunk of games for it now with like another barrel full coming end of this year and early next.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah the Wii U is basically the unsung hero of this console gen for me. Wonderful 101 is loving batshit crazy awesome, and a lot of the other exclusive titles for it are great too. I don't regret picking one up instead of a Bone or PS4.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Commissar Ken posted:

The WiiU is pretty dope nasty and has a good chunk of games for it now with like another barrel full coming end of this year and early next.

Yeah, right now the Wii U looks more interesting to me than the PS4. I'll probably pick it up when Smash Bros comes out, along with Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta. Hell, even Hyrule Warriors looks like stupid fun.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Well, I wanted a full LP of this game from the gang, but an hour and a half video to cap off the Amazing Super Friends month is good enough.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Do they beat the game in this video? I haven't finished W101 yet and I know the ending is super crazy.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah they do. If you care about spoilers don't watch it.

(I ordered a Wii U and a copy of W101 last night and I am stoked to play it now)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm not going to be able to get a WiiU for a while, but I do eventually plan to and pick up W101 with it as one of the first purchases. At the same time, I want to watch this video, are there any good complete LPs of the game that folks could suggest so I can give one of those a watch before watching this SBF one?

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Chip Cheezum is doing one, but he only started it recently.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

The energy from this W101 video is awesome! I never considered getting a wiiu but between playing mario kart this past weekend and seeing that video im REAL tempted to do so.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
W101 is, with no irony or jokes or whatever, one of the best games ever.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It would've been my game of the year 2013 if Revengeance didn't come out in the same year. It's so god drat good, definitely Platinum's best game.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

This week they play The Objectively Best Street Fighter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY-YzVbhS7A

Beef Waifu posted:

That's not Super Turbo

That's right, it isn't.

Silentman0 fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 2, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's not Super Turbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Ken