Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best version of El?
This poll is closed.
Elminster 20 6.45%
Elmara 20 6.45%
Entwine 13 4.19%
GURPS 99 31.94%
El Kabong 153 49.35%
Elves 5 1.61%
Total: 310 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

MadScientistWorking posted:

That is the problem with the setting though. Its really too precarious for its own good because it really only lends itself to one and only one scenario. Its fun but with the way the setting is set up it does actively tend to funnel you through changing the status quo in specific ways.

I don't understand. What specific ways?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

MadScientistWorking posted:

That is the problem with the setting though. Its really too precarious for its own good because it really only lends itself to one and only one scenario. Its fun but with the way the setting is set up it does actively tend to funnel you through changing the status quo in specific ways.

I dunno, like it was said earlier you can play the game of reinforcing the peace, breaking the peace on accident, breaking the peace and reinforcing your own side, or whatever else strikes your fancy. It's precariously balanced exactly so that parties can change things, not to funnel everything into one scenario. It all falls onto a decent GM to make it happen, but I see a lot more possibility for PCs changing things in Eberron than in pretty much any other setting where you're typically told that others are instigating these changes and you get to pick up the pieces.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Night10194 posted:

I never played Star Ocean, but I got into Phantasy Star at that young age where it's like the first big RPG you ever really click with and as a result I'm infected with the sci-fantasy bug pretty much forever.

Star Ocean starts you on fantasy planet but the characters know about super-science and space ships. They just live in the space equivalent of the sticks. You have to save everyone from a virus.

A virus made out of demons.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Star Ocean starts you on fantasy planet but the characters know about super-science and space ships. They just live in the space equivalent of the sticks. You have to save everyone from a virus.

A virus made out of demons.

That sounds like a rad thing that could be totally awesome if it wasn't a JRPG and thus probably full of grinding and terrible underaged characters. I will file this in my large box of things to take a stab at running some day.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's from 1994, so the JRPG standards are actually not very present. It's also not a really grindy game.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Also it was on the Genesis so by its very nature it kinda tried to not do all the things every other JRPG was doing(Sega does what nintenDON'T).

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Star Ocean was on the Super Nintendo. Phantasy Star was genesis.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Darwinism posted:

Yeah, Eberron is great in part because it's so player-centric. They purposefully avoid super-powered NPCs like Elminster or Drizzt & Company so that there's more room for your party to become those kinds of names.

this + "the setting isn't yet another romp through medieval mud-farms". Like someone else said, the 1900s were a pretty dynamic time and making fantasy 1900s is really fuckin appealing.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The first Star Ocean is really quite good. The later ones, well...

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Star Ocean 2 is bad in entertaining ways, at least!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Was Star Ocean 3 the really, really weird one or am I getting my JRPGs confused?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Mr. Maltose posted:

For some reason I was getting the game being discussed mixed up, because gently caress reading comprehension I guess.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Star Ocean 2 is bad in entertaining ways, at least!

I dunno, I had fun with it when it came out, but that was back in '99 and my standards for good games was considerably worse then. Rose-tinted glasses and all that.

SO3 was pure crap though.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Just bear in mind it's a JRPG, so you still inexplicably have wizards and cure magic and all that. Star Ocean is a science fiction game in the sense that Wild Arms is a western; as reflavored fantasy.

That being said, the early Tri-Ace games are really something special in their way, just don't be afraid to read a FAQ or tip guide if you need help with something or are curious about a system, because the game isn't quite so hot at guidance.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Well, they have Symbology which is basically science-magic, but I distinctly remember the reaction of the deadly virus' origin being disbelief from the more advanced Earther party members.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Kai Tave posted:

Was Star Ocean 3 the really, really weird one or am I getting my JRPGs confused?

Star Ocean 3 was the one where the act 3 twist was that all the characters were actually self-aware NPCs in a giant MMO and the unstoppable enemy they were fighting was actually just the physical representation of a server wipe.

And then they escaped out of the game somehow?

So yeah. It was the weird one.

Also the best part of the first Star Ocean was that the bad english voice acting at the opening of the game was word-for-word lifted from a Star Trek movie. (Wrath of Khan, I think.)

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Master System.
:goonsay:

e: Also all of you can go to hell, Phantasy Star IV was the best one.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

grassy gnoll posted:

Master System.

Which was the one with the cat girl with razor claws?

Where the world fades to a grid as you kill giant wasps?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

dwarf74 posted:

Which was the one with the cat girl with razor claws?

Where the world fades to a grid as you kill giant wasps?

p. sure you're thinking of PS II. Although they both had cat girls with razor claws.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

grassy gnoll posted:

Master System.

I actually finished PSIV on a (kinda long) rental back in the day, because I couldn't possibly afford the cartridge which retailed for like $90 because of some kinda weird sound processor it had or something. I liked the aesthetic of the Phantasy Star games, and the ruins they were exploring tended to have some kind of purpose that people had half-forgotten, like "this building controls the weather and the weather is going crazy, fix it." It was also one of a relatively few series of RPGs with guns alongside the catgirl claws.

I haven't played any PS games in a long time, I wonder how that full-conversion of PS3 to 'not suck so much' is going.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

grassy gnoll posted:

Master System.

This chap knows what's what. PSIV forever. Rune is the best rear end in a top hat wizard ever. If Elminster was more like Rune Walsh, I wouldn't hate Elminster.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Is one of you responsible for the running gag of my friend and I searching for TORG games at Gen-Con every year and then being mad that there are only results for ALL HAIL KING TORG! again like every year?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Greenwood and Salvatore pretty much created a majority of the tropes for D&D.

People bitch about Salvatore making good drow but he pretty much fleshed out their society as a race. Gygax was also the first to present playing a good drow as well so as usual, grogs and people bitching about nothing don't know poo poo.

The thing about Salvatore is that he always has been and always will be "Bob Salvatore, the guy who writes sometimes dumb fun fantasy." He has absolutely no arrogance at all about what he does, and most of his stories about D&D and about writing are pretty great. Like, Drizzt came from him having to replace a character in the space of a single phone all, so he just blurted out whatever consonants came out and said it was a dark elf because it might be cool. The Spine of the World exists because he couldn't find a spot on FR that wasn't already taken up by another writer, so he just pointed at a printing error and proclaimed it was really a bunch of mountains, now go away and let me write. I mean he's a pretty meaty guy, he worked as a bouncer before going into writing, and all his books have that sorta vaguely blue collar "And then he FIGHTS SOME DUDES" feel to it because that's just what he's into.

Greenwood spent literal years creating FR as a setting to tell his weird and very 70's stories in. Salvatore just grabs whatever sounds fun at the time and sprints with it because he just loves to write.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

ProfessorCirno posted:

The thing about Salvatore is that he always has been and always will be "Bob Salvatore, the guy who writes sometimes dumb fun fantasy." He has absolutely no arrogance at all about what he does, and most of his stories about D&D and about writing are pretty great. Like, Drizzt came from him having to replace a character in the space of a single phone all, so he just blurted out whatever consonants came out and said it was a dark elf because it might be cool. The Spine of the World exists because he couldn't find a spot on FR that wasn't already taken up by another writer, so he just pointed at a printing error and proclaimed it was really a bunch of mountains, now go away and let me write. I mean he's a pretty meaty guy, he worked as a bouncer before going into writing, and all his books have that sorta vaguely blue collar "And then he FIGHTS SOME DUDES" feel to it because that's just what he's into.

Greenwood spent literal years creating FR as a setting to tell his weird and very 70's stories in. Salvatore just grabs whatever sounds fun at the time and sprints with it because he just loves to write.

You got Drizzt's origin right, but the Spine of the World stuff is wrong. When Salvatore wrote the first treatment for The Crystal Shard, he set it in the northern Moonshaes because he had only seen the map in the first Moonshaes novel and thought that was the entire world. TSR told him the world was much bigger and Doug Niles was in charge of the Moonshaes and sent him a map with the regions he couldn't use marked off, which were few, just the Moonshaes and Central Heartlands. And he picked this tiny blank corner that wasn't a printing error, just a blank spot onu the map, and named it Icewind Dale.

Salvatore was one of the first people TSR brought in to work on FR and the setting bears a lot of his marks. In addition to creating Icewind Dale, Mithril Hall, and Menzobberanzan, he created the region usually known as Erlkazar, he developed most of the details of Drow society and the Underdark in general, he developed the post-Zhengyi Bloodstone Lands, and he played a part in developing every major settlement north of Waterdeep. And now he is the architect of the Sundering.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

When I worked in a bookstore, we had him in for a couple of signings and he was always very pleasant. Talked with all of the fans, helped me play a practical joke on a friend of mine who was a massive Drizzt fan boy and even ran a one shot for our staff. He always seemed kind of amazed that he had the level of success that he did and was pretty grateful for it. It's hard to hate on a guy like that after you meet him.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

His only personal failing is that he is an insufferable Bosox fan.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

PeterWeller posted:

His only personal failing is that he is an insufferable Bosox fan.

There's no such thing as a non-insufferable Sox fan, though.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what is torg? a short lookup makes it sound like notrifts or something

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Ettin, please rename PeterWeller "The Realms Whisperer."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Imagine Rifts if written by someone who was willing to sit down and think through the implications of the setting, plus some weird multiversal physics, that's basically what my understanding is.

Also mechanics that are slightly less hosed up.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tollymain posted:

what is torg? a short lookup makes it sound like notrifts or something

Torg is the 90's-est game ever made, about modern earth being invaded by a bunch of other genresalternate realities.

I wrote a bunch of words about it, and I really need to get back to writing those.

Mors Rattus posted:

Imagine Rifts if written by someone who was willing to sit down and think through the implications of the setting, plus some weird multiversal physics, that's basically what my understanding is.

Also mechanics that are slightly less hosed up.
Torg's mechanics are worse than Rifts' by a wide margin, because it tries to model EVERYTHING mechanically via the use of one universal logarithmic scale, is both a traditional and narrative game, and has the metaplot-iest metaplot ever.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 1, 2014

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

grassy gnoll posted:

Ettin, please rename PeterWeller "The Realms Whisperer."

no don't it would crush Arivia.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

PeterWeller posted:

You got Drizzt's origin right, but the Spine of the World stuff is wrong. When Salvatore wrote the first treatment for The Crystal Shard, he set it in the northern Moonshaes because he had only seen the map in the first Moonshaes novel and thought that was the entire world. TSR told him the world was much bigger and Doug Niles was in charge of the Moonshaes and sent him a map with the regions he couldn't use marked off, which were few, just the Moonshaes and Central Heartlands. And he picked this tiny blank corner that wasn't a printing error, just a blank spot onu the map, and named it Icewind Dale.

Salvatore was one of the first people TSR brought in to work on FR and the setting bears a lot of his marks. In addition to creating Icewind Dale, Mithril Hall, and Menzobberanzan, he created the region usually known as Erlkazar, he developed most of the details of Drow society and the Underdark in general, he developed the post-Zhengyi Bloodstone Lands, and he played a part in developing every major settlement north of Waterdeep. And now he is the architect of the Sundering.

We're both right! He picked the tiny blank corner with the printing error to be Icewind Dale. At least, assuming you're going off the same talk I am.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

There's no such thing as a non-insufferable Sox fan, though.

That is true. I was clarifying for those who are unaware how terrible Boston sports fans are (worse even than Philly fans).

neongrey posted:

no don't it would crush Arivia.

He is more deserving of such a title. I am merely the Magister to his Mysta.

E: ProfessorCirno, you're probably right. What was the printing error? I thought it was just a blank portion of the map no one had thought to fill in.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

That is true. I was clarifying for those who are unaware how terrible Boston sports fans are (worse even than Philly fans).

E: ProfessorCirno, you're probably right. What was the printing error? I thought it was just a blank portion of the map no one had thought to fill in.

That's unfair. Boston fans haven't pelted Santa with snowballs.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mr. Maltose posted:

Ah yes, the eternal dichotomy of Phantasy Star/Star Ocean.

Man, Phantasy Star 1 wasn't "Holy poo poo what is this thing? It says "Space Port" on that sign???" It was "Holy poo poo, the king has heavily restricted access to the spaceport! What a loving rear end in a top hat!"

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Thomamelas posted:

You're right. That was a low blow.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Thomamelas posted:

Santa had it comin'.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Zereth posted:

Man, Phantasy Star 1 wasn't "Holy poo poo what is this thing? It says "Space Port" on that sign???" It was "Holy poo poo, the king has heavily restricted access to the spaceport! What a loving rear end in a top hat!"

Yeah Phantasy Star for the most part wears its Sci Fi pretty openly right next to its fantasy, hell, in the post 4 continuity (Online and etc) Robots are a playable race.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PeterWeller posted:

Haha thanks. Mystra probably fits me better since I'm a girl and we both know how feminine she's played up to be :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Zereth posted:

Yeah, PS1 wore its blend pretty openly; I think it was kind of fun how in 2/4, it was the fantasy elements that were the surprise, not the SF, which is a bit different from how that mix is usually done.

• Locked thread