Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Wheany posted:

i think it could be improved by having the characters also wipe into view from under the cursor, that would be really cool. also, have both the cursor move and the text appear at a constant speed, like 10 pixels per second.

also if the paragraph is justified, when the last wort is too long for the line, have it "swoop" smoothly to the start of the next row and also have all the other words "swoop" to their proper justified locations.

just throwing some ideas out there.

it's you! YOU! YOU'RE THE IDEAS GUY! GET HIM!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Thank you for the great ideas fellows, I will forward them to the appropriate departments

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

pram posted:

Thank you for the great ideas fellows, I will forward them to the appropriate departments

pram... i'm going to ask you a serious question here

are you roz ho

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Blackula69 posted:

this is what happens why you try to run that file

apple: "what the gently caress is a microsoft? block this poorly-coded poo poo!"

once again, tim is correct

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

univbee posted:

apple: "what the gently caress is a microsoft? block this poorly-coded poo poo!"

once again, tim is correct

more like

microsoft: "gently caress paying apple to sign our installer package that's horseshit, our users are perfectly fine getting around the limitations WE put in to windows, surely mac users are too"

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sniep posted:

more like

microsoft: "gently caress paying apple to sign our installer package that's horseshit, our users are perfectly fine getting around the limitations WE put in to windows, surely mac users are too"

are you suggesting microsoft doesn't know its userbase or how they use computers?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

univbee posted:

are you suggesting microsoft doesn't know its userbase or how they use computers?

:monocle:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
to be fair, apple's updater on windows is just as poo poo.

at least for me it never works. ninite updater has no problem updating itunes, but apple's own piece of poo poo always fails in updating their other piece of poo poo.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

univbee posted:

with the amount of market research and user experience testing they do, the know very well how their userbase uses computers

they just do not give a gently caress

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
apple updater for windows has always done exactly what I wanted hth

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

Cocoa Crispies posted:

why are y'al even shocked that updates to a microsoft product require updates to the updater first, when was the last time they managed to ship a software update without requiring an updater update

"Hey should we just make a very simple download system that sucks down OS X packages and bootstraps them?"

"No, that would be insanity, we need support for X Y Z"

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

Sniep posted:

more like

signing code doesn't actually cost money, like there are free software projects that have better OS X packages

edit: err, doesn't cost money beyond having one person have a $100 developer account with Apple, you don't need to buy a certificate like you do for Windows Authenticode

raruler fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 1, 2014

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

and since nobody was paying attention the first time, they already have an Apple Developer ID, it is required to publish to the iOS App Store

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

qirex posted:

office 2015:
[list]
[*]default paste behavior is "without formatting"

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

pseudorandom name posted:

and since nobody was paying attention the first time, they already have an Apple Developer ID, it is required to publish to the iOS App Store

iirc you can't generate osx certs with a ios dev account but I haven't really tried

isn't one note in the Mac App Store though?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
moar ribbon

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

pram posted:

moar ribbon

the ribbon is legit good and anyone who says otherwise is an idiot

i dont miss the toolbar soup not one bit

Ice_2_c_u
Sep 13, 2002

holy poo poo. is this in 2010 excel too?

I won't see my work PC until Monday but this could change my life

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

hmm nope

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

the ribbon is exactly as efficient as toolbars and menus but it introduced a huge switching cost so basically everyone had to re-learn the whole UI for no benefit

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

qirex posted:

the ribbon is exactly as efficient as toolbars and menus but it introduced a huge switching cost so basically everyone had to re-learn the whole UI for no benefit

nah it's actually much quicker than mousing over a loving nested toolbar menus

real pros were using keyboard shortcuts, if u bitched about menus changing u were a gui scrub

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Malcolm XML posted:

real pros were using keyboard shortcuts, if u bitched about menus changing u were a gui scrub

hmm nope

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
adding the ribbon to paint hosed IT really hard. seriously, gently caress ribbonized paint it is god awful

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
you dont like having actions grouped in a logical way and having context relevant command groups highlighted?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

mod sassinator posted:

adding the ribbon to paint hosed IT really hard. seriously, gently caress ribbonized paint it is god awful

yeah its overkill for paint/explorer

but we're talking office here

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Malcolm XML posted:

actually research funded by microsoft has shown it to be exactly as efficient as the old system

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the ribbon was so good they completely abandoned it

pram
Jun 10, 2001
look guys its not a standard toolbar ok. its teh ribban

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

pram posted:

look guys its not a standard toolbar ok. its teh ribban

it is the ribbon though??

pram
Jun 10, 2001
see youre an idiot

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

qirex posted:

actually research funded by microsoft has shown it to be exactly as efficient as the old system

was this before or after u learned it

cause if it's after, thats the point

iirc the rationale was that it was quicker for new people to pick up

regardless they are not bringing the ol' menu cascade back

pram posted:

the ribbon was so good they completely abandoned it

microsoft: damned if they try something new, damned if they attempt to stick to ui conventions

office for ipad is p great tho since iwork generally sux (except keynote)

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

pram posted:

see youre an idiot

no u

pram
Jun 10, 2001
toolbar

ribbon

or is it :smug:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Malcolm XML posted:

iirc the rationale was that it was quicker for new people to pick up
except that after 2003 or so how many "new people" were there who were encountering office for the first time? especially compared to the number of people who had to re-learn all their workflow processes when it changed

seems more like change for the sake of change and a reason to keep a 100 person ux team employed for three years

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

this is a theme in OWA 2010.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

FMguru posted:

except that after 2003 or so how many "new people" were there who were encountering office for the first time? especially compared to the number of people who had to re-learn all their workflow processes when it changed

seems more like change for the sake of change and a reason to keep a 100 person ux team employed for three years

supposedly the primary motivator behind it was that they'd been getting feature requests for stuff office already did

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

qirex posted:

supposedly the primary motivator behind it was that they'd been getting feature requests for stuff office already did

yeah i had heard that as well. granted i'm not sure the ribbon does a better job at showing where those features are than the toolbar did

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

qirex posted:

p much theyd add poo poo and it was buried under 5 layers of cascading menus

if u want office and menus, stick to 2k3 or office xp which still owns

o

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
or libre office will suit 99% of your needs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Malcolm XML posted:

• Locked thread