Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Where are these schools? Salt Lake City? And how could they possibly know whether students are living with parents or by themselves?

Most small liberal arts colleges require you to stay in dorms for the first year. My school had like three total off-campus living options and they were still within walking distance of the academic buildings. Unless you were in those or a program house (an on-campus house that does community service of some kind), you spent your whole career in dorms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I assume its mostly schools where the town was built around the school that require on-campus living. My college had the "no microwaves except the one we build into a fridge" thing and I assume its because they don't want to pay to wire the place so that students can microwave something while the fridge is running while cooking on a hot plate all on the same circuit. Besides, college students that just moved away from home have that sort of "there's no rules" feeling of being on vacation and do stupid poo poo so they probably shouldn't be using a hot plate to cook on top of their beer-pong table they built out of a closet door balanced on the backs of two chairs.

Of course, the best way to get these rules relaxed is for your roommate to start sleeping with an RA, then they won't bust you for poo poo.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So glad I never had to stay in a dorm ever. It sounds absolutely obnoxious.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

No mess! Aside from needing to thoroughly clean the ketchup bottle after each use and the loss of however much batter remains caked to the sides after you use it, I guess.

You know, you can clean the ketchup bottle with plenty of water and this:

LIFEHACK!!!

(They sell pancake mix in a bottle FYI, and you also lose batter when you use a bowl to mix ;) The thing, I've been tempted of using this. It's also used by the people who make "artistic pancakes".)

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The dorm I lived in had the microwave/fridge combos, but you were allowed to bring your own. People still managed to set the fire alarms off constantly with just microwaves, so allowing hot plates probably would be a bad idea. At least at the moron school I went to.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Desperado Bones posted:

You know, you can clean the ketchup bottle with plenty of water and this:

LIFEHACK!!!

(They sell pancake mix in a bottle FYI, and you also lose batter when you use a bowl to mix ;) The thing, I've been tempted of using this. It's also used by the people who make "artistic pancakes".)

I understand using it for artistic pancakes, but a spatula cleans out the pancake bowl just fine. :colbert:

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
From the last page, but:

Henchman of Santa posted:

Can things on Doomsday Preppers count as life hacks? Because there's no thread in TV IV but I really need somewhere to talk about a man making a flamethrower powered by rabbit poop.

Absolutely, I'd say that they also belong to the same school of "strange people doing ridiculous things and feeling smug about it" thought.

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.

Twitch posted:

The dorm I lived in had the microwave/fridge combos, but you were allowed to bring your own. People still managed to set the fire alarms off constantly with just microwaves, so allowing hot plates probably would be a bad idea. At least at the moron school I went to.

True story, when I was an RA last fall someone set off the fire alarm with hairspray. Later in the semester, a fire alarm got set off by an e-cig. So dorm fire alarm systems suck sometimes.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dr Snofeld posted:

From the last page, but:

Absolutely, I'd say that they also belong to the same school of "strange people doing ridiculous things and feeling smug about it" thought.

Fantastic, because I cannot emphasize enough that last night's episode featured a man who plans to live almost entirely off of rabbits after a full-scale economic collapse, including defense consisting of a flamethrower powered by rabbit poop.

Other post-apocalyptic lifehacks from that show:
IEDs built into taxidermied animals.
Gold will always be valuable!
Cats will bring you food, even if they are reluctant to even catch a mouse.
Need to keep kosher when you're desperate to survive? Get a fuckton of matzoh!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Fantastic, because I cannot emphasize enough that last night's episode featured a man who plans to live almost entirely off of rabbits after a full-scale economic collapse, including defense consisting of a flamethrower powered by rabbit poop.

Maybe he's just a big fan of Don't Starve?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I understand using it for artistic pancakes, but a spatula cleans out the pancake bowl just fine. :colbert:

You can always lick the bowl,as well. Then get salmonella or something nasty.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Want to have an advantage over your buddy in the post apocalyptic wasteland? Fire a rifle in a blind when he's not wearing ear protection! He'll be much easier to kill if he's deaf.

I always thought the "no microwaves/hotplates" thing was to force students to get meal plans.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Desperado Bones posted:

You can always lick the bowl,as well. Then get salmonella or something nasty.

don't have a spatula? lick the bowl clean and build a salmonella tolerance at the same time! #lifehacks #spitula

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

Want to have an advantage over your buddy in the post apocalyptic wasteland? Fire a rifle in a blind when he's not wearing ear protection! He'll be much easier to kill if he's deaf.
This was the first episode I saw of the series and I've rarely laughed as hard as I did at a grown man crying and saying "You hosed up, Steve! You hosed up!"

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

build a small city in your microwave in case you ever get friends and need to lose them

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Rad Tad posted:

build a small city in your microwave in case you ever get friends and need to lose them

Lifehack: build an elaborate diorama inside your microwave to demonstrate to your RA why you should be allowed to keep it (for art projects)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lotish posted:

So glad I never had to stay in a dorm ever. It sounds absolutely obnoxious.

Yep. It is. I spent a solid month arguing with the housing board about how I should be allowed to keep my hermit crabs. In the end I had to get rid of them because, and this is literally the reason they told me, "if they escape they'll burrow into the walls and destroy the wiring."

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Hotplates must be one hell of a crazy fire hazard since they weren't allowed at my schools dorms either even though we had in unit kitchens with gas stoves and everything

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Everything's a fire hazard if you're dumb enough

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

An idiot goofing around can accidentally do something way quicker than a professional really working hard at it. Taking down a fully-stocked industrial shelving unit in a warehouse is an all-day job. Backing into the supports with a forklift takes six seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thbSSuo1Z00

In this video, an outdoorsman with decades of experience makes a small fire with ice. It takes him three minutes. I am confident that a dumb enough person given the same chunk of ice could burn down New York City.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

When I was a RA, pretty much all forms of resistive heating (hair dryers, hot plates, space heaters) were banned because the wiring was old and flaky. The breakers being in a locked cabinet meant that if one was tripped, the RA on duty had to wake up and deal with it. gently caress that poo poo. The combo fridge/microwave units are designed so that they only ever pull X amps; if the microwave is in use, the fridge compressor shuts down entirely. That's why they're popular in dorms.

Life hack: get a job as a RA to help pay your way through school.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

twistedmentat posted:

I always thought the "no microwaves/hotplates" thing was to force students to get meal plans.

Military barracks are the same way. It's because young people on their own for the first time are retarded and will find a way to start a fire with a paper plate and potato salad.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah but then you have to live in a dorm.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Lifehack: Fart a lot and get messy back there? Stuff a sock between your butt cheeks right up against your rear end in a top hat, no muss no fuss.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

twistedmentat posted:

Most of the rules against cooking equipment don't have anything to do with meal plans or cooking or the wiring -- the school is just trying to keep vermin out of the dorms. Q: What's the difference between a high school senior and a college freshman? A: 3 months. These are literal children who half the time don't even know how to work a washing machine, so they certainly can't be expected to know things like "if you leave a bag of rotting food scraps sitting behind your door for two weeks, flies will lay eggs in it."

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Sagebrush posted:

Most of the rules against cooking equipment don't have anything to do with meal plans or cooking or the wiring -- the school is just trying to keep vermin out of the dorms. Q: What's the difference between a high school senior and a college freshman? A: 3 months. These are literal children who half the time don't even know how to work a washing machine, so they certainly can't be expected to know things like "if you leave a bag of rotting food scraps sitting behind your door for two weeks, flies will lay eggs in it."

This is the world we live in now that high schools don't make everyone take Home Ec. :colbert:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Karma Monkey posted:

This is the world we live in now that high schools don't make everyone take Home Ec. :colbert:

Home Ec. is misogynist.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Khazar-khum posted:

Way back in the Olden Days, people disguised their microwaves by putting rabbit ears on them.
Amusingly back in the early day's of TV people would buy sets, but not the TV license so would throw over rugs and disguise the TV as a side table when the inspectors came over.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

MariusLecter posted:

Home Ec. is misogynist.

It wouldn't be if all students had to take it.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

^^ My Home Ec class had both boys and girls. So did Shop class. Guess the 80s were a Golden Age.

MariusLecter posted:

Home Ec. is misogynist.

Uh, any class can be made misogynist, but Home Ec isn't inherently. The basic daily living skills are things everyone should learn.

Lifehack: Learn stuff that's useful without applying gender stereotypes to those skills.

Karma Monkey has a new favorite as of 06:41 on Aug 2, 2014

Guy Montag
Jun 24, 2005

Per the Oreo discussion earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVkRDrbzgoU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
delicious Oreo cookies in .2.02 years!

or just walk to the loving dollar tree and get some chocolate wafer cookies you dumb piece of poo poo

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Someone's never heard of rabbit starvation.

Although I now have the mental image of a flamethrower that has 3 slots on top where you put the rabbits, and you carry a few more with you so you can reload. Or just carry around this giant bag of hay.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I dunno, that just seems like someones silly project.
I hope.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

MariusLecter posted:

Home Ec. is misogynist.

It would only be misogynist if they called it Women's Life Skills or something.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

I tried that once, it was loving terrible. The part sticking out is supposed to be flush with bottom, if you do this, you'll have a 1/4" lump under the front of your foot. I'd rather be barefoot.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
We had both Tech Ed. (learning about physics through woodworking) and FACS (Family and Consumes Sciences, basically Home Ec.) in my middle school where both boys and girls learned valuable skills. I think both programs were removed due to budget cuts, though. Shame, both would have been good to take in high school, I barely remember them now.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Big Grunty Secret posted:

We had both Tech Ed. (learning about physics through woodworking) and FACS (Family and Consumes Sciences, basically Home Ec.) in my middle school where both boys and girls learned valuable skills. I think both programs were removed due to budget cuts, though. Shame, both would have been good to take in high school, I barely remember them now.

The middle school I work at has Family/Consumer Science and it's literally the most popular class at the school. Kids love cooking and eating food as well as making pillows and stuff.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Olanphonia posted:

The middle school I work at has Family/Consumer Science and it's literally the most popular class at the school. Kids love cooking and eating food as well as making pillows and stuff.
I like that name a lot better than Home Ec. Speaking of cooking and making stuff...

Ok, who's done this one and how did it turn out?

This does not seem like a good idea...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Karma Monkey posted:

I like that name a lot better than Home Ec. Speaking of cooking and making stuff...

Ok, who's done this one and how did it turn out?

This does not seem like a good idea...

I don't know about you guys, but I enjoy some fine glass shards with my vodka. Delicious.