Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Clanpot Shake posted:

I asked this earlier but never got an answer. A few times I've gotten popups asking if I wanted to instigate a war with a trade republic who held posts in my land. What are the pros and cons of doing this? Am I losing money by allowing non-vassal republics to operate in my territory?

Not really. Non-vasssal republics still boost the income of any city they connect to. You'd get more money if you vassalized them, but there's no reason to destroy their posts unless you're a Republic yourself (even then you should just sieze it instead)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Clanpot Shake posted:

I asked this earlier but never got an answer. A few times I've gotten popups asking if I wanted to instigate a war with a trade republic who held posts in my land. What are the pros and cons of doing this? Am I losing money by allowing non-vassal republics to operate in my territory?

I think your cities get increased income no matter who owns the trade posts, but if it's a vassal merchant republic you get a cut of the republic's income, which can be rather substantial.

If you have no vassal republic to take their place but still have towns, you may want to leave them be.

I still tend to march on them though, as I like the bribe money for leaving it alone after you march.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

timp posted:

If you get a notification that someone was imprisoned by another lord, but you're not directly involved, what's the best way to find out why they were imprisoned?

I don't think there's any direct way to find out, but you can try and infer it by looking at their relationship (assuming they're liege & vassal) and seeing if there's any kind of opinion modifier, or checking the liege's vassals' opinions of him to see if they have the -40 dishonorable, or whatever

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Clanpot Shake posted:

You are not losing any money from tradeposts. If it is the event i'm thinking of the other republic should be paying you for going to war for them, and you'll get more money if you win so that's the only pro i can think of.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Clanpot Shake posted:

You get a pretty hefty income boost for having them their at all, especially if they are at all upgraded. I always just leave the alone unless I'm completely broke and think I might get a good bribe from the republic for not burning it down.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

TheMcD posted:

So, I decided to try and play a game in Greece as a vassal of the Byzantine Emperor. Tried that before, and it didn't go so well when the Seljuks were banging down the Emperor's door to the point where I had to declare independence because they were going for loads of my lands and the Emperor wasn't going to be able to defend them, so the easiest solution was "hey, you just said you were going to take the lands ruled over by the Emperor! Well, my lands are independent now - suck it!". Then I quit because I got a Jihad called on me, I only had lands in that de jure kingdom and I was pretty much the only Orthodox still around.

"Well", I thought, "that was vanilla. I'll try playing with HIP, that should help."

I was wrong. Oh so wrong. Once again, it got down to the point of "oh god, I have to declare independence now or I'm going to get murdered", and immediately swore fealty to the expanding menace of Rum. They seem to have calmed down now that the Byzantines are basically dead, but who knows what'll happen when they're actually dead.

Nobody demanded conversion from me so far, so maybe I can be the Orthodox savior of Greece?

Maybe you just had bad luck? In most of my games, the Bizantinne Empire owns: it will beat the muslims in almost every war, it will conquer most of the arabian peninsula and usually also expands north over Cumania and smaller east europe kingdoms. And soon it becames a huge blob that maybe only the player, by managing an equally huge blob, can ever hope to beat.

I once did a game like the one you are trying, I think the trick is staying as a vassal of the empire, dont go independant, otherwise you became an easy target for your massive neighbours. Instead, stay with the empire and do your best to help it when you see they are losing a war (using you retinues, mercs, anything).

Starting as the Duke of Athens, I expanded by taking muslim lands in north africa and independant kingdoms to the north, like Croatia. By keeping myself as a vassal of the empire, it would protect me when muslins tried to take back the lands Ive stolen.

When I was big enough, I would engage into lower crown authority rebellions, so I would be able to wage war to my smaller bizzantine neighbours, until I was able to form the Kingdom of Greece. After that, the emperor himself started to transfer vassals to me, the ones that belonged to my dejure. I got huge and proceeded getting even bigger, preying inside and outside the empire. Then I worked on getting a claim to the empire title and made myself the emperor.

Speaking about it: I would love someday to try a multiplayer game where every player starts as a vassal of some empire, like the Bizzantine or the HRE. The first one to raise to emperor wons.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 1, 2014

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Back To 99 posted:

You are not losing any money from tradeposts. If it is the event i'm thinking of the other republic should be paying you for going to war for them, and you'll get more money if you win so that's the only pro i can think of.

Not that event. It was basically, "Hey these republic schmucks have been working out of this city you control without giving you a cut. Do you want to go gently caress up their poo poo? poo poo might get real real quick if you do though. gently caress poo poo up Y/N" I'm paraphrasing but you get the idea.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
I'm organizing a succession game with a bunch of friends. Some of them are good at CK2, some are new to the game.

Suggestions on a starting location for 867 that could work well?

Looking for something not too easy, but not so hard as to mean that a newbie getting the controls would lead to death.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Speaking about it: I would love someday to try a multiplayer game where every player starts as a vassal of some empire, like the Bizzantine or the HRE. The first one to raise to emperor wons.

I started a game yesterday as an Italian duke in 1081, thinking I would eventually break off from the HRE and form Italia or something. Since some of my duchy was in the de jure HRE, I put my name in for Emperor just for kicks, and literally within an in-game week some random German says to me "Hey we're pushing your claim on the Empire" and I guess the Emperor himself abdicated or something because all of a sudden I was Holy Roman Emperor.

alcaras posted:

I'm organizing a succession game with a bunch of friends. Some of them are good at CK2, some are new to the game.

Suggestions on a starting location for 867 that could work well?

Looking for something not too easy, but not so hard as to mean that a newbie getting the controls would lead to death.

A vassal duke of one of the Karling kingdoms might be a good choice. Your short term goal is either break free or usurp the kingdom, and you long term goal is to eliminate every Karling in Europe. :getin:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Clanpot Shake posted:

Not that event. It was basically, "Hey these republic schmucks have been working out of this city you control without giving you a cut. Do you want to go gently caress up their poo poo? poo poo might get real real quick if you do though. gently caress poo poo up Y/N" I'm paraphrasing but you get the idea.

Yeah, there are two ways you can interact with trade posts. The first is this event, which is as you said, 'gently caress poo poo up', and might end with you burning down the trade post (bad), getting a bribe and walking away (good), or the opposing family using their diplomacy to talk your supporters away (bad).

The other way they're thinking of is that one Republic might ask you to embargo a different Republic, with a rather hefty bribe and the promise of paying the peace cost if you lose. If you succeed, all trade posts of the Republic you declared war on lose their trade posts in your territory.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Sky Shadowing posted:

Yeah, there are two ways you can interact with trade posts. The first is this event, which is as you said, 'gently caress poo poo up', and might end with you burning down the trade post (bad), getting a bribe and walking away (good), or the opposing family using their diplomacy to talk your supporters away (bad).

The "bad" items are all relatively mild though, +/- 25 prestige IIRC.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ninjahedgehog posted:

A vassal duke of one of the Karling kingdoms might be a good choice. Your short term goal is either break free or usurp the kingdom, and you long term goal is to eliminate every Karling in Europe. :getin:

I would say start as one of the Karling counts. The count of Vexin is a good choice, because you're 67. Once you die, your son is also 60+. Once he dies, his daughter is married to the Karling Count of Vermandois, so within a decade you'll automatically end up inheriting all the way down to a 3 province count, with enough holdings to create a dukedom.

By being a Karling, it lets you have the easy alliances to make expanding easy, but by starting as a count you'll have the vassal experience.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Cool; though I think we'll want to use the Char Builder to have a custom house name (unless I can rename my house somehow without using Char Builder?)

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

alcaras posted:

Cool; though I think we'll want to use the Char Builder to have a custom house name (unless I can rename my house somehow without using Char Builder?)

If you're the head of your dynasty (no idea how the game calculates this) you can customize your house name and coat of arms with the customization DLC.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
So I started a game as the Republic of Amalfi and formed the kingdom of Sicily. At that point, I destroyed the titular duchy of Amalfi because it counts against the duchy limit, but as soon as I did, the second most respected patrician suddenly became heir to Sicily, no matter how much money I pump into my own heir. Is that just a bug, or are you not supposed to destroy your starting republic?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Bold Robot posted:

Playing as a patrician, is it generally better to make new trade posts or to upgrade ones you already have? I just picked up The Republic and there are a lot of variables here that I don't really have the hang of.

You want to fill out trade zones with nothing but your own trade posts in order to maximise the income you get from them, so you build trade posts asap. Trade post upgrades are low priority for me, but become very powerful when you have a lot of posts (garrison is fairly amazing for increasing retinue cap).

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Mygna posted:

So I started a game as the Republic of Amalfi and formed the kingdom of Sicily. At that point, I destroyed the titular duchy of Amalfi because it counts against the duchy limit, but as soon as I did, the second most respected patrician suddenly became heir to Sicily, no matter how much money I pump into my own heir. Is that just a bug, or are you not supposed to destroy your starting republic?

The game is a bit funny wrt calculating title succession for republics. Try saving, resigning and loading the game again.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Neither that nor using the 'recalculate succession' console command worked. Stabbing every rival patrician over the age of 30 did the trick, though.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Mygna posted:

Neither that nor using the 'recalculate succession' console command worked. Stabbing every rival patrician over the age of 30 did the trick, though.

God bless the assassination mechanics.

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012
I used to get the same "title loss on succession" no matter what my heir's respect was at. Haven't played republics in quite some time so I can't confirm it myself for the current patch, but the succession takes place normally as long as your heir's respect is above that of the runner-up. It's just a display error.

That does mean that you have to watch that screen like a hawk, though. Extremely annoying if anything.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

If you're the head of your dynasty (no idea how the game calculates this) you can customize your house name and coat of arms with the customization DLC.

Sorry, this isn't the case; you need to be the head of your dynasty (highest ranking title, not sure how ties are broken), independent, and not have any family members be vassals outside your realm.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
My latest Doge, one of the richest men in the world, was just ordered to convert to the Fraticelli heresy by the voice of Jesus Christ, who also gives him military advice. My lands border Rome itself and I have the largest retinue in the world. Looks like the Pope is in for a little surprise :getin:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Bold Robot posted:

Playing as a patrician, is it generally better to make new trade posts or to upgrade ones you already have? I just picked up The Republic and there are a lot of variables here that I don't really have the hang of.

Personally I like to expand trade posts ASAP while ensuring that I have a majority of the trade posts in any given trade zone - as long as you control most of the posts in a trade zone, you're considered to control the trade zone period, and you get more return from having lots of connected trade zones than you do from concentrating everything in the same zone. So slapping three trade posts down in a five-post trade zone is enough to cement your control over it, and move on to secure new frontiers.

In terms of the upgrades themselves, by the way, the trade value upgrade is kinda iffy unless you're playing the Old Gods start, and even then it's a bit secondary - you can usually get far more trade value out of control a vast, interconnected series of trade zones, and trade value increases and bonuses start to drop off and matter less as you get larger. The straight tax income upgrades are solid and helpful, and the garrisons are great for increasing retinue cap, as Knuc mentioned - between trade posts and palace upgrades you can field retinues larger than many royal levies despite only directly controlling a very little bit of land.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Having been on the receiving side of this, take a moment to check the targeted Doge's diplomacy AND stewardship before you go through with this - having large amounts of either will let them talk away your angry mob.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Mygna posted:

My latest Doge, one of the richest men in the world, was just ordered to convert to the Fraticelli heresy by the voice of Jesus Christ, who also gives him military advice. My lands border Rome itself and I have the largest retinue in the world. Looks like the Pope is in for a little surprise :getin:

So if you depose the pope does it trigger a conversion decision for catholic rulers or do you just start getting crusades called for Rome?

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

ninjahedgehog posted:

You have no dynasty members outside your realm, and you are not a vassal I think.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Turns out that using the decision to install the fraticelli pope in Rome completely breaks things if the city of Viterbo is the top-level holding in the county. The new fraticelli pope will get the city instead of the temple and thus be turned into a patrician-pope, complete with family palace and four rival patrician-pope dynasties. Which would be amusing if, after loading a save, it didn't cause an instant CTD whenever a cardinal gets elected or you open the religion tab. Manually granting him the bishopric before you enact the decision seems to avoid this issue.

Makes me wonder if a similar thing can happen to feudal rulers who hold Tusculum as the top-level holding when restoring either pope, briefly turning the papacy into an inheritable dynastic title before it starts crashing.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Tomn posted:

Personally I like to expand trade posts ASAP while ensuring that I have a majority of the trade posts in any given trade zone - as long as you control most of the posts in a trade zone, you're considered to control the trade zone period, and you get more return from having lots of connected trade zones than you do from concentrating everything in the same zone. So slapping three trade posts down in a five-post trade zone is enough to cement your control over it, and move on to secure new frontiers.

In terms of the upgrades themselves, by the way, the trade value upgrade is kinda iffy unless you're playing the Old Gods start, and even then it's a bit secondary - you can usually get far more trade value out of control a vast, interconnected series of trade zones, and trade value increases and bonuses start to drop off and matter less as you get larger. The straight tax income upgrades are solid and helpful, and the garrisons are great for increasing retinue cap, as Knuc mentioned - between trade posts and palace upgrades you can field retinues larger than many royal levies despite only directly controlling a very little bit of land.

Just to clarify the bolded part, should I focus on having my republic be a big interconnected network, or my own family's zones within my republic? How much should I focus on squeezing out the other patricians in my republic vs. outcompeting the other republics?

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Bold Robot posted:

Just to clarify the bolded part, should I focus on having my republic be a big interconnected network, or my own family's zones within my republic? How much should I focus on squeezing out the other patricians in my republic vs. outcompeting the other republics?

Always try to win over your other patricians. You can take the other republics' trade posts in a war, but you need to lose an election and be a regular patrician to be able to take other patricians' posts.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

grancheater posted:

Always try to win over your other patricians. You can take the other republics' trade posts in a war, but you need to lose an election and be a regular patrician to be able to take other patricians' posts.

Also, if you lose an election and have vastly more trade posts than the other patricians, the Grand Mayor may try to take them from you.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
The AI managed to do this in my latest game

Heir to strong Byz and HRE + Hungary + Norway + England. Sadly he inherited Byz a little too young and was deposed. With a claim, an empire (once inherited), and me as an ally, perhaps Romes can finally be united.

Also of note, that independent province north of Sweden? Norse province ruled by a Norse child Countess. There's a strip of ~20 Suomenusko provinces in northern Russia as well.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

What's a good start for a simple 2-player coop? My roommate's new to the game and I wanted to play online with him.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

What's a good start for a simple 2-player coop? My roommate's new to the game and I wanted to play online with him.

A pair of Jimena kingdoms could be a good choice. I'd suggest Castille and Navarra, for a mix of military power and interesting alt-hist.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
This current Italy game is probably my most successful game as a non-republic.

Still need to get a few more provinces in Spain to actually get my hands on an empire title, though I suppose I could work my way north and try to become the HRE.
It's also the only time I've seen the muslim blobs fracture so much. Helped along by 3 or 4 Shia uprisings. I was working my way into northern Spain with holy wars and then the Pope calls a crusade for Andalusia letting me take everything at once.

Yeah .. My retinue alone is 26k men now, a combination of skirmish and defence retinues. Enough to take on everything except the Byzantines without ravies levies.

In doing all this I realised I have become that which I despise the most, the Karlings.

edit: I was kinda hoping there would be an achievement for driving the muslims out of Spain, but no dice.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Bold Robot posted:

The republic's control doesn't really seem to matter as far as I can tell - your trade zone bonus comes strictly and solely out of your own family's zones. Having your republic control most of the Med means nothing if your family controls only a single trade zone, so be selfish and partisan. It might actually be beneficial to lose embargo wars from time to time if it allows you to secure new trade zones for yourself. That said, I wouldn't specifically focus on beating out either other republics or other patricians - just decide which trade zones you want and push everyone else out of the way, whether they're other patricians or other republics.

Also, having large trade zones from other patricians can be a good thing for you if you're the Doge, since you can get a cut. As long as they don't try to step on your turf and you can secure the Dogeship, they're tolerable.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013
I'm playing a Hansa game at the moment and joined an independence faction hoping to get something out of the emperor. Within days of me joining, the rebellion happened. It succeeded. My Prince Mayor died and now I'm playing his heir (also Prince Mayor). It won't let me swear fealty to the HRE. Is this because I hold a titular kingdom title?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

chippocrates posted:

I'm playing a Hansa game at the moment and joined an independence faction hoping to get something out of the emperor. Within days of me joining, the rebellion happened. It succeeded. My Prince Mayor died and now I'm playing his heir (also Prince Mayor). It won't let me swear fealty to the HRE. Is this because I hold a titular kingdom title?

Probably, yeah. Kings can only swear fealty to their de jure emperor, and since titular titles, by default, aren't part of a de jure empire...

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So, I'm currently the Queen of Ireland and I'm matrilineally married to the King of France and my heir is set to take Ireland, France, and Aquitane. Any thing I should be ready for/wary of once I essentially triple in size when my heir takes over? This is my first game and Ireland went pretty smoothly I think.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
My game performance suddenly tanked. I went from normal, good performance, and then there was a pause, and now every turn stutters for half a second or so. If I reload an earlier save game, performance is back to normal for a bit, but then around the same time (give or take a few months), it gets really slow again. What's going on?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is it normal to end up with more than 5 patrician houses after taking territory from another republic? I'm playing as Pisa and I just beat Genoa in a war to press two claims I fabricated. I now own the counties of Genoa and Nice, although Genoa still exists in the form of one city in Nice. When I enforced my demands, two of Genoa's patrician houses somehow got added to my republic. They appear on the Republic tab, although they stretch off to the right and the alignment is all messed up. Their trade posts/zones show up as part of Pisa. This seems like a bug. What gives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

Is it normal to end up with more than 5 patrician houses after taking territory from another republic? I'm playing as Pisa and I just beat Genoa in a war to press two claims I fabricated. I now own the counties of Genoa and Nice, although Genoa still exists in the form of one city in Nice. When I enforced my demands, two of Genoa's patrician houses somehow got added to my republic. They appear on the Republic tab, although they stretch off to the right and the alignment is all messed up. Their trade posts/zones show up as part of Pisa. This seems like a bug. What gives?

I've had that before, I even managed to get the main Hansa Patrician as a "House" after invading the HRE.

• Locked thread