Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best version of El?
This poll is closed.
Elminster 20 6.45%
Elmara 20 6.45%
Entwine 13 4.19%
GURPS 99 31.94%
El Kabong 153 49.35%
Elves 5 1.61%
Total: 310 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
I don't suppose we can have the old grognards.txt v2 thread back from the mod farm, either letting it loose into the Purgatory forum or just letting it back into the archives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Thank you, to my friends Zoq, and Zen Sex Robot, and Wilde Jagd, and anyone who I have forgotten, for have lobbied for my freedom in the name of friendship and justice. You guys... You guys are real rear end paladins, with the Lawful Good alignment and all.

And know that I am taking names of all those who weren't friendly with me, and while I, shall not pick fights with them, my revenge will come, inevitably.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Please don't reveal the secrets of my new splatbook, rear end Paladins.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Night10194 posted:

I always wondered why there's always a totally out of place YHVH in every goddamn D&D setting. I'm too young to have been in the real Satanic Panic so it doesn't come up as reflexively for me.

Based on dim recollections of the annotations on Dragonlance stuff, there at least it's because Tracy Hickman was super-Mormon and was trying to basically make the mythic backstory of Dragonlance kind of "Mormon Narnia".

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

LightWarden posted:

I don't suppose we can have the old grognards.txt v2 thread back from the mod farm, either letting it loose into the Purgatory forum or just letting it back into the archives?

Considering that the reason I believe it was put there was due to someone doxxing a grog-quoted guy, I think it's gonna remain under lock and key.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

DalaranJ posted:

Hey, anyone have any experience running The One Ring (Adventures Over the Edge of the Wild)? My friend lent me his copy and it's really, well, I think I'm gonna need some surgery, because this poo poo is extremely my heartbreaker.

I like it a lot, it does a lot to capture what those first two books felt like. The corruption system may be the best implementation of an insanity system I have ever seen. ANything specific about it?

LightWarden posted:

One, you are kinda creepy for wanting to dig that back up. Like, really. Two, archive is archived, which means if it is archived in the secret moved forum too, which means it is stuck there forever. Thank radium, I guess.

Tendales posted:

Winston Paine is the name of a character in esteemed vidya game Phoenix Attorneyman, and we can't have mods that are violating copyright right in their names, now, can we?

You know, I didn't know that until like last year. I had wondered why it came up.

Waffleman_ posted:

Winston Paine is also a pun.

Present Tense > Past Tense

Arivia posted:

Also a question for our mod emeritus: why isn't it Winston? Who the gently caress is Winson Paine anyway?

IS YOUR FORUMS NAME YOUR ELFGAME DUDE LIKE US

It is a pun, yeah. Back in college my characters had a lot of pun names, so Winson Paine, bounty hunter was born. When I finally regged for SA I had my old star wars poo poo nearby and needed something to type in the USERNAME field.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Libertad! posted:

Considering that the reason I believe it was put there was due to someone doxxing a grog-quoted guy, I think it's gonna remain under lock and key.

That and like, archived poo poo can't be modified. It has come up before with wanting to goldmine older threads and stuff. Can't edit posts in the archives, can't move threads from it.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Libertad! posted:

Ok. After reading through some of the interesting conversations and derails in v1 I wondered if there was anything similar of value in v2. I didn't remember why it was banished, just that it disappeared one day then was replaced with v3 and "must post grog" rule.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
There's just something perfect in the combination of the name Winson Paine and the Cactus Jack avatar.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
What's the deal with Abeir, the place that replaced Maztica in 4E? Did anyone ever do anything with it?

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Mimir posted:

What's the deal with Abeir, the place that replaced Maztica in 4E? Did anyone ever do anything with it?

I don't think so, although I haven't read a FR novel in ages, so it's possible I'm wrong. 4E had this really dumb rule that each setting would only get 3 supplements (player's guide, campaign setting, and an adventure usually) period, so nothing game-wise ever came out that expanded on anything in the FR.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Mr. Maltose posted:

There's just something perfect in the combination of the name Winson Paine and the Cactus Jack avatar.
Agreed. It always made me smile since who does not love both puns and Mick Foley?

Plus back when I first joined the forum, Winson_Paine's posting style seemed to fit the name/avatar combo as well. :arghfist::sadwave: Though I see the Rap Sheet does not go back far enough to cover what I think I remember.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

zen death robot posted:

It wouldn't be much of an archive if you could change it after all.

This is a very good way of thinking about it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Winson_Paine posted:

I like it a lot, it does a lot to capture what those first two books felt like. The corruption system may be the best implementation of an insanity system I have ever seen. ANything specific about it?

Well,

1. I'm not exactly the best GM when it comes to scene setting and I get the impression that especially in the journey phase that it's important to evoke the feel of the setting as much as possible. Do you have any tips for how to do this?

2. Some of the skills seem to run together a bit. It's hard for me to get a firm grasp on the difference between inspire and persuade, or between travel and explore (other than obviously everyone has to make travel rolls).

3. Do you have any feel for why increased aggressiveness boosts initiative but then the party all act in a different block than monsters anyway?

I'm really excited about this game because it makes a bunch of design decisions I would have never even thought of, like when you level up what you get is a feat or magic item and an improved reputation.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Evil Mastermind posted:

Torg is the 90's-est game ever made

That is not SLA Industries. :colbert:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

DalaranJ posted:

Well,

1. I'm not exactly the best GM when it comes to scene setting and I get the impression that especially in the journey phase that it's important to evoke the feel of the setting as much as possible. Do you have any tips for how to do this?

2. Some of the skills seem to run together a bit. It's hard for me to get a firm grasp on the difference between inspire and persuade, or between travel and explore (other than obviously everyone has to make travel rolls).

3. Do you have any feel for why increased aggressiveness boosts initiative but then the party all act in a different block than monsters anyway?

I'm really excited about this game because it makes a bunch of design decisions I would have never even thought of, like when you level up what you get is a feat or magic item and an improved reputation.

Tolkien's world is post-apocalyptic. Ruins are everywhere, though less obviously in Wilderland. Have the remains of flets in northern Mirkwood, the ground floor of a dwarven inn out eastward, and all sorts of ruins in the areas north of Mordor and Gondor. These don't have to be ordinary ones, but the signs of previous inhabitants should be in all sorts of places.

Tolkien's world is also based heavily (less so for Third Age stuff) on Norse and Finnish sagas, so reading translated versions and throwing in catchy metaphors can help give it that proper feel, along with having people speak somewhat formally.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Traveller posted:

That is not SLA Industries. :colbert:

SLA didn't have a 50-book-long railroad metaplot, did it? Check and mate.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Evil Mastermind posted:

SLA didn't have a 50-book-long railroad metaplot, did it? Check and mate.

It did have THE TRUTH though, which in terms of impenetrable player-untouchable story bullshit should more or less cancel the lack of metaplot out.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Winson_Paine posted:

I'd like to hear more about the corruption system.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Tulul posted:

It did have THE TRUTH though, which in terms of impenetrable player-untouchable story bullshit should more or less cancel the lack of metaplot out.

Plus, there's yet to be a game that can beat SLA in terms of black trenchcoats and katanas. No, the entirety of the oWoD doesn't count.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, SLA takes the cake in super 90's metaplot that no player character has a hope of changing by elevating it so that the pcs barely have a hope of interacting with it.

Wilde Jagd
Jan 2, 2014

by XyloJW
Ettin please put an end to the living hell that is my existence on the Something Awful forums and kill me now

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wilde Jagd posted:

Ettin please put an end to the living hell that is my existence on the Something Awful forums and kill me now

Live, my friend, and find joy.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

Wilde Jagd posted:

Just chill. We're all good friends here :)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Let us post funny jokes on the imp zone thread, Wilde Jagd. Or perhaps have some roaring fun talking about animes on another thread. Life is good, and should be lived.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It is a noble gesture, upon seeing a life that cannot satisfy, to choose a death by one's own hand.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cassa posted:

I'd like to hear more about the corruption system.

Okay. The game uses a special d12 with the Eye of Sauron replacing the 11 (and the Gandalf rune the 12). In addition, characters have a resource called "Hope" that they spend to activate bonuses. Experiencing terrible events or the power of Sauron forces characters to roll to avoid corruption. Traveling through the darker parts of Wilderland (eg the area around Dol Guldur, the dragon strongholds in the Withered Heath) forces rolls to avoid corruption simply from being in terrible areas. Failing these tests gives you Shadow points. In addition, doing evil deliberately gives you Shadow points. When Shadow is equal to or greater than Hope, (bear in mind that starting characters will have 12-22 Hope) characters become Miserable and should they roll the Eye, they go temporarily crazy and replace all of their Shadow points with a permanent one and get a Flaw. Getting a fifth permanent Shadow point means your character is no longer playable. Temporary ones can be removed with rest, and Hope can be recovered as well.

Where it shines is that each class has its own set of Flaws to draw upon based on their motivation for adventuring. Treasure-Hunters get the Dragon-sickness and become greedy, Wardens lust for power, Wanderers withdraw into themselves, Scholars obsess over secrets, and Slayers focus on vengeance above all else. In other words, your character doesn't go maniacal-laugh crazy, they just become a worse version of themselves, and they don't start serving Sauron directly. In fact, a Slayer or Warden will probably focus on fighting Sauron more and more as they fall under the Shadow.

Wilde Jagd
Jan 2, 2014

by XyloJW
human being friend of the family Tranny

Please, oh God, just Ban Me

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Live, my friend, and find joy.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wilde Jagd posted:

At least put some effort, then. Shock images, flaming, outrageous opinions, mod sass... Pick your poison, but at least make it entertaining.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Have you considered just not posting?

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

Wilde Jagd posted:

F****t N****r T****y

I know you don't mean to say these things :(

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Wilde Jagd posted:

I am Calling the Police

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Down With People posted:

I am Calling the Police

Will it be...a Sting operation?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Down With People posted:

I am Calling the Police

Hello, Calling the Police, I am SunAndSpring. What a pleasure to meet you and so forth.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Zurui posted:

Will it be...a Sting operation?

It is a :siren: joke!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Down With People posted:

I am Calling the Police

Where's granos

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Tulul posted:

I don't think so, although I haven't read a FR novel in ages, so it's possible I'm wrong. 4E had this really dumb rule that each setting would only get 3 supplements (player's guide, campaign setting, and an adventure usually) period, so nothing game-wise ever came out that expanded on anything in the FR.
It wasn't a dumb rule, it was a good guideline to ensure people could use more of the stuff in their games.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Down With People posted:

I am Calling the Police

something something granos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tollymain posted: