Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

A good and proper LA doesn't lose health when they engage folks, they just die because someone else got the drop on them.

People say that, and yet a lot of the best LA players in the game constantly run with medkits :confused:

http://www.twitch.tv/vonicvs

You could watch this right now and get a good idea of how hard Medkits can own and how often they can keep you alive and in a fight. A moment ago he just got jumped by a guy and was able to reverse, jet around a corner into a gravity lift and mid-jump he pulled out a medkit and brought himself back from near death which kept him going long enough to circle back around and kill the guy.

What I find even more interesting that I never noticed before was that he actually keeps his medkit out and ready as often as he's got his gun out.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Medkits seem more.... selfish? Like they're better for when you're indoors or killwhoring a large fight as a lone wolf rather than trying to have an effect on the fight as a whole. I know I can't stand being unable to hurt tanks so ignoring them never feels like an option to me. I think it was way more of a difficult choice before regen implants happened, personally.

E:

Fart Car '97 posted:

What I find even more interesting that I never noticed before was that he actually keeps his medkit out and ready as often as he's got his gun out.

That's the MLG way to pad your KPH stats with guns by never having them equipped unless you're shooting mans

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Fart Car '97 posted:

Of course you found yourself wishing you had C4 in these scenarios. Its the exact scenario where a Medkit isn't that useful: medium range firefights where you have a lot of time to plan your movement, plenty of time to disengage the moment things aren't looking good, and smaller fights where you're not likely to be surprised by someone.

Medkits shine in denser, more populated fights that have you ducking in and out of CQC frequently, where people are probably going to be taking pot-shots at you no matter how you maneuver simply due to the fact that there are more people around and you're in close proximity to them. It's fights like these where you really should constantly be moving 100% of the time, and C4 becomes as much of a liability as it is a good thing to have. If you're tower stomping or engaging multiple people at once in a good sized fight the reality is you're going to get hit, and being able to instantly regain 500 health can be the difference between you getting around the next corner to safety or not.

My AC-X11 loadout has C4 in it, my Cyclone and Shotgun loadouts have medkits in them.

I will give that a try. Those CQC fights often have lots of MAXes wandering around, though. Do you just run away from them?

Fart Car '97 posted:

It's because he knows that his reflexes are too slow to return fire fast enough to survive.

(I'm kidding. Can't watch the video right now but 99% chance he's just stat padding his carbine KPH, same as a ton of MLG BR100s out there.)

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Blasmeister posted:

That's the MLG way to pad your KPH stats with guns by never having them equipped unless you're shooting mans

oh lol

NihilCredo posted:

I will give that a try. Those CQC fights often have lots of MAXes wandering around, though. Do you just run away from them?

Yes. Spot them and let people with rockets deal with em. Half the time things are so hectic in CQC I often find that I'll wiff the C4 drop on the max simply because he turned and walked in another direction for a moment.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

(I'm kidding. Can't watch the video right now but 99% chance he's just stat padding his carbine KPH, same as a ton of MLG BR100s out there.)

Vonic actually doesn't really do that as much as others. He runs around with his guns out more often than most.

You'll see him pull out the medkit while jetpacking and that's because you're vulnerable while jetpacking. If you start getting shot you can survive by using a medkit versus just sitting there and taking it with your carbine out.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

A good and proper LA doesn't lose health when they engage folks, they just die because someone else got the drop on them. That's why medkit and nano weave are kind of useless, especially when you can carpet bomb groups and MAXes like some sort of jetpack-attached B2 Bomber with C4.

This.

If the enemy is firing back you're playing Light Assault wrong.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

People say that, and yet a lot of the best LA players in the game constantly run with medkits :confused:

http://www.twitch.tv/vonicvs

You could watch this right now and get a good idea of how hard Medkits can own and how often they can keep you alive and in a fight. A moment ago he just got jumped by a guy and was able to reverse, jet around a corner into a gravity lift and mid-jump he pulled out a medkit and brought himself back from near death which kept him going long enough to circle back around and kill the guy.

If thats vonic its also because he does stupid poo poo like solo tower stomps in a TR/NC fight or way behind enemy lines because in a big fight you tend to get killed more. I like my kdr and try to improve it but i dont go out of my way to pad that poo poo like crazy. If your avoiding big fights and farming small ones to pad your kdr you cant brag about your kdr.

This is why i love AC, they're a DA that actively sticks they're dicks into bigger fights and you can totally feel it when your close to them. GOKU will be at a techplant and it will be going surprisingly easy then you look at the closest VS tag and its an AC. I've seen us lose fights because that DA squad isn't prioritizing the point back in the day but they've gotten better. It was the most infuriating thing to see allies who could easily hold that point with you but they didn't because they might get killed.

Personally if your using 5 medkits in under 10 minutes you either care way to much about your kdr or your doing something wrong. Trying to fight 20-30 people solo is doing something wrong, if your good you can make it work but thats alot of effort when you could be with some allies killing the same amount of people without all the stress.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Sounds like you just aren't MLG enough to hack it, Arghy.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I personally feel that you should always have your Emergency C4 on you no matter what class you play.

Never know when you might run into a TR tank zerg and exploit their refusal to look behind them.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Being alive is more important than maybe killing a max, hope this helps.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

Sounds like you just aren't MLG enough to hack it, Arghy.

I'm already making a gamers resume and trying to get KV's attention with some naked photos, still waiting on vonics naked photos so i can shame him.

M.
L.
G.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

AggressivelyStupid posted:

This. Medkits 4 life.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
This just in, Planetside 2 has lots of different ways to outfit your characters for all different types of playstyles! Pretty cool feature by the devs, nice way to avoid j/oing over who has the best build.

I don't play LA except running around as a NOVA shitter sometimes so I normally go on a really big streak or die, so medkits and C4 don't get much use from me.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
As much as I love being a support class, nothing is as fun as ruining a tank's day with C4 as a LA. There's something wrong with me because my best infantry vs infantry weapon in terms of accuracy is a silenced solstice. I have a terminus, I have a NS-11C and A, and I do poorer with them.

Also, even the Regen 2 implant seems ridiculously powerful if you're doing mid range fights with cover.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Screw that. Some of us know we're cannon fodder and killing that MAX is totally worth getting stupidly killed. (I am the kind of idiot to jihad jeeps and suicide engy rushes, life is fleeting, live for the nanites.)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tempest_56 posted:

Screw that. Some of us know we're cannon fodder and killing that MAX is totally worth getting stupidly killed. (I am the kind of idiot to jihad jeeps and suicide engy rushes, life is fleeting, live for the nanites.)

LAs are not meant to live very long, that's why our ammo clips are so tiny!

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Surely, having the same standardized amount of ammo as everyone else is a severe disadvantage to your class.

Unless you're TR, then you're OP cause you have too much.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

NihilCredo posted:

That's what I do. I also try to not be in places where MAXes have easy access, if they have access at all. The flipside to being unable to blow up MAXes is that you're still the best class for outmaneuvering MAXes. You're only ever going to see one on a roof if there's a Gal drop for example.

p.s. I wanna marry the Lynx. Is it wrong to love a carbine? ...Yes.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Nakar posted:

p.s. I wanna marry the Lynx. Is it wrong to love a carbine? ...Yes.

Isn't that the gun that TR literally hates and wants to trade for the GD-7F?

Oh wait that's literally every TR gun. Ah, forumside. :allears:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

lmbo I just killed six guys with a single Deci shot and then killed another three with an AV grenade right after which I think somehow caused my Recursion overlay to crash. :stonklol:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Gonkish posted:

Isn't that the gun that TR literally hates and wants to trade for the GD-7F?
It's a GD-7F that actually hits poo poo at range and doesn't take forever to reload. Of course they hate it.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

The Lynx and the Jaguar are loving amazing. I can only beat people who use them in a straight up CQC 1v1 if I either have the Carnage, GR-22 or the Gauss SAW. I need to get them on my TR alt once I'm done loving the TORQ.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The Lynx is a super-armistice, I only lose in CQC if the other guy has a shotgun. It's stupid how powerful that gun is and confirms my theory that bad players (TR) need good guns to stay competitive.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?
I think the only load out I use medkits on is my Medic that uses the regeneration field but I also use a regeneration implant so I rarely need to use a medkit. Hell, half the time I forget I'm carrying them and spend the twenty seconds hiding when I could have been right back in the fight.

Is it generally agreed that med kits trump restoration kits? I've been told a fun room clearing technique on a Heavy is to run adrenaline shield with nanoweave and right before you run into the room you use a restoration kit so you'll be healing for the first few seconds when you run in.

Klowns fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 2, 2014

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Hajj Podge posted:

The Lynx and the Jaguar are loving amazing. I can only beat people who use them in a straight up CQC 1v1 if I either have the Carnage, GR-22 or the Gauss SAW. I need to get them on my TR alt once I'm done loving the TORQ.

The Jaguar may very well be the best overall carbine in the game. It does everything extremely well. If you want a mid-range carbine, you put a grip on it and it's great. If you want to be a hipfire hero, you slap a laser on that fucker and it's great. I think the only way you could possibly make the Jaguar bad is if you don't use it. The real kicker, though? It's only 250 certs.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
So, let's talk about Cyclone Heavies. What have we learned?

They are pretty good. Is there anything that could potentially make them better? Like, overpowered beyond all reckoning better?

...Oh no. Oh no. SOE, stop, you have no idea what you are about to do. :ohdear:

Like, I mean, the Betelgeuse will be a straight upgrade to the Orion, so it's probably one of the top three Auraxium variants. But the Tempest (and to a lesser extent, the Skorpios) will be a straight upgrade to the entire NC. God help us if anyone gets the Auraxium SMG Directive other than lovely useless Infiltrators or a handful of LAs, anyone who understands what this gun means. God loving help us all.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

How many SMGs do you need to Aurax to get the special version, anyhow?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Nakar posted:

God help us if anyone gets the Auraxium SMG Directive other than lovely useless Infiltrators or a handful of LAs, anyone who understands what this gun means. God loving help us all.
I'm sorry you seem to have mispelled "engineers" when you typed "lovely useless infiltrators"

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Raxed my last carbine with the NS11c now i just gotta work on 3 AR's and 2 SMG's. The PDW/MKV is loving terrible and the eradani has that annoying loving rattle--i might just ignore the SMG directives if the aurax one has the same stupid rattle because there is no way to loving compensate for your bullets go to either side of your aim point.

Is it true that my lasher aurax medal will need to be unlocked again? i thought it was a visual glitch that poo poo had better be unlocked for the directives i got nearly 1400 kills with it.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Hey, I have some good news. Have you see the Auraxium Armistice? :psyduck:

I'm going to go Full Arghy here just this once. What the actual gently caress is SOE thinking giving experienced players these super guns? If they come with some kind of built-in handicap like a 3.4x on all the LMGs and ARs then I'm kind of OK with it but jesus loving christ this seems stupid.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Auraxed my GD7F tonight, making it the first one I've managed to do so with. People say its a bad gun to use nowadays, but it still melts faces from close to medium. Helped clear up many of TR gal drops on Eisa tech.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

o muerte posted:

Hey, I have some good news. Have you see the Auraxium Armistice? :psyduck:

I'm going to go Full Arghy here just this once. What the actual gently caress is SOE thinking giving experienced players these super guns? If they come with some kind of built-in handicap like a 3.4x on all the LMGs and ARs then I'm kind of OK with it but jesus loving christ this seems stupid.
Some of them seem balanced to a particular niche, like the Battle Rifles or Assault Rifles. The Carbines and Shotguns aren't things you'd automatically use either. But the LMGs and SMGs... they just seem like upgrades to the defaults, although how good that is does vary from weapon to weapon - the Betelgeuse probably gets more out of its +15 mag size than the other two do out of their +50 but they're still good, and the Tempest is nuts but the Shuriken and Skorpios look almost as bonkers.

Seriously, the Auraxium variant SMGs are just... Jesus Christ. If you thought you hated fighting against the Orion and Cyclone before, just you wait.

Cpt. Murphey
Mar 12, 2007
Wait, titles can have text in them? Well I'll be...

Broose posted:

Auraxed my GD7F tonight, making it the first one I've managed to do so with. People say its a bad gun to use nowadays, but it still melts faces from close to medium. Helped clear up many of TR gal drops on Eisa tech.

It's a "bad gun" in that there are better options now, like the cyclone. At launch with how the flinch mechanics worked, it was the best that we had. Now that flinch is fixed we got all sorts of choices.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Nakar posted:

Some of them seem balanced to a particular niche, like the Battle Rifles or Assault Rifles. The Carbines and Shotguns aren't things you'd automatically use either. But the LMGs and SMGs... they just seem like upgrades to the defaults, although how good that is does vary from weapon to weapon - the Betelgeuse probably gets more out of its +15 mag size than the other two do out of their +50 but they're still good, and the Tempest is nuts but the Shuriken and Skorpios look almost as bonkers.

Seriously, the Auraxium variant SMGs are just... Jesus Christ. If you thought you hated fighting against the Orion and Cyclone before, just you wait.

Yeah, I'm really disappointed by this implementation. The game needs things to bring various skill tiers in to balance - not more tools for MLG superspergs to farm more newbies.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I don't know if the Tempest will be a straight upgrade - remember that in that picture it's being compared to a stock Cyclone. But every single Cyclone user actually runs SPA on it.

For a SMG, improving the max-damage range shoud be a lot more valuable than improving minimum range, velocity and ADS accuracy. The Tempest will be way better as a carbine impostor, but I would predict that the regular Cyclone will still be the better SMG.

Also, the Tempest can't equip IRNV. Roughly 75% of the time it won't matter but in those 25% of dark night fights you will dearly miss it. (But if you unlocked the Tempest you will certainly have a Cyclone to switch to, so I wouldn't count this as an actual drawback.)

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

I don't know if the Tempest will be a straight upgrade - remember that in that picture it's being compared to a stock Cyclone. But every single Cyclone user actually runs SPA on it.

For a SMG, improving the max-damage range shoud be a lot more valuable than improving minimum range, velocity and ADS accuracy. The Tempest will be way better as a carbine impostor, but I would predict that the regular Cyclone will still be the better SMG.

Also, the Tempest can't equip IRNV. Roughly 75% of the time it won't matter but in those 25% of dark night fights you will dearly miss it. (But if you unlocked the Tempest you will certainly have a Cyclone to switch to, so I wouldn't count this as an actual drawback.)

If only SOE released the loving stats of things then we could know for sure but NOPE! shits gotta stay in the dark.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Wait the eridani/PDW/sirius has literally the exact same accuracy stats yet the PDW has better horizontal and lower FSM and 5 more rounds compared to the eridani. TR/NC get a crazy loving murder machine for their 1st gen SMG while VS gets a lovely PDW?

PDW http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/item/7494
Eridani http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/item/29000

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

"It's like someone else's gun, but worse somehow." is the VS trait, Arghy.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Getting killed by a guy using a lasher while I'm jetpackin around.

Light Assault life: live fast, die stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wei
Jul 27, 2006
Yeah, 143 damage at 750 RPM sure makes a gun a lovely PDW. The Orion is just a lovely PDW with 20 more rounds!

• Locked thread