Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

wei posted:

Yeah, 143 damage at 750 RPM sure makes a gun a lovely PDW. The Orion is just a lovely PDW with 20 more rounds!

You gotta put forum side quotes in a quote or people might think the terrible opinions are your own! :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wei
Jul 27, 2006
:tipshat:

The Eridani's gimmick is boring though, I'll give you that. It's otherwise a fine babby Orion that doesn't feel as cool or fun as the Cyclone and Armistice.

Back to directive SMG chat, I think the Skorpios will be a pretty good alternative to a hipfire carbine or a great short-medium option for a VS Medic, ahead of the H-V45 or Terminus. All 3 new SMGs will probably obsolete the automatic scout rifles, if the PDW hadn't already. I'll be able to confirm in a few months, but in the meantime I'll be whittling away at these lovely common pool SMG auraxes.

The Tempest is another version of one of NC's best infantry weapons, so we know what to expect. I don't really see the Shuriken getting much use outside of HA and Infil. It'll still be a solid weapon but the Lynx and TORQ do what the Shuriken can but also at longer ranges.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Arghy posted:

Wait the eridani/PDW/sirius has literally the exact same accuracy stats yet the PDW has better horizontal and lower FSM and 5 more rounds compared to the eridani. TR/NC get a crazy loving murder machine for their 1st gen SMG while VS gets a lovely PDW?

PDW http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/item/7494
Eridani http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/item/29000

Gonkish posted:

"It's like someone else's gun, but worse somehow." is the VS trait, Arghy.

I feel for you guys. Tell you what, in sign of solidarity I will ask SOE to make the Cyclone lose 5 rounds and have worse recoil and get upgraded one damage tier up to 200 damage, but that's hardly worth mentioning. Never let it be said that NC don't know solidarity!

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I'm honestly surprised the Tempest isn't just a 200-damage Cyclone.
Higby pls

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

NihilCredo posted:

For a SMG, improving the max-damage range shoud be a lot more valuable than improving minimum range, velocity and ADS accuracy. The Tempest will be way better as a carbine impostor, but I would predict that the regular Cyclone will still be the better SMG.
That's the point though, these will be better carbine impostors... and that's what's gonna be so nuts. As pure Inf gank weapons these things aren't so bad, and might even be worse than the defaults with SPA. But they're specifically designed around ADS use, hence the lower ADS COFs (lower than most any weapon when on the move BTW) and HVA. So slap them on a class that has to ADS more often and now you have high-mobility weapons with very good hipfire and exceptional ADS performance; and, as it so happens, SMGs are all-class, so you can. As a Heavy I'd be drooling over the prospect of the Tempest or Skorpios. I won't have them unlocked, so that's all I'll be able to do, but still, somebody is gonna have a field day with those things when they realize they're not there for Infiltrators.

Although it's a good point that they might obsolete the automatic scout rifles. I guess it remains to be seen but within about 20m it seems like they'll have vastly better DPS and accuracy. But scout rifles aren't really so concerned about <20m ranges, I think, and I don't think the PDW obsoleted them. That said, these guns might.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Is there a list of what you have to do for each directive reward somewhere?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

it seems like a really lovely idea to give super guns to people who have been playing the game for years. it takes a long rear end time to aurax poo poo and its already hard enough as a new player in this game.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

FirstPersonShitter posted:

it seems like a really lovely idea to give super guns to people who have been playing the game for years. it takes a long rear end time to aurax poo poo and its already hard enough as a new player in this game.

That's why as a new player it's not worth worrying about them, before we've played the game long enough to unlock them most will have moved on to a better game.
It's a treat for the old players that have stuck it out this long but even if newer players play for as long as the old players have to this point there will be newer better guns, if the game is even still around.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The new guns are going to be pretty rare, and don't really obsolete anything. The new SMGs will be worse until 15m or so, but then they will be noticeably better beyond.

The Betelgeuse is really the only straight upgrade, and even that is just an SVA that trades some accuracy and mag size for 52rpm. The GODSAW is all style

Of all that have been announced, the only ones I think will be bordering on too powerful would be the ones for the Gauss Rifle, Mercenary, and Cycler. All will be serviceable (except the Solstice one)

The GODSAW is like the rest - just swag. Take a SAW and make it MORE NC somehow? YES PLEASE

Of all of them I cannot wait for the Gauss Prime most of all, but it can't replace the Reaper/Tross so :(

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Klowns posted:

That's why as a new player it's not worth worrying about them, before we've played the game long enough to unlock them most will have moved on to a better game.
It's a treat for the old players that have stuck it out this long but even if newer players play for as long as the old players have to this point there will be newer better guns, if the game is even still around.

There are better games than PS2???

Oh, uh- shaql extracted the lumifiber knife model + texture off PTS. This is what SOE Live attendees will be getting:

Presumably they'll be putting in the feature that lets you equip your knife. It was working on PTS in the past but had no functionality yet so they didn't bother.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Westy543 posted:

Presumably they'll be putting in the feature that lets you equip your knife. It was working on PTS in the past but had no functionality yet so they didn't bother.

Apparently that got pushed back to october-ish since it wasn't a very interesting feature. But player studio submitted knives are supposed to come soon (submissions supposed to be open this week but haven't checked if they actually did). I guess they will be on the store after people have had enough time to be jealous of the SOE live one.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

:stare:

It would seem that Nalsek really, really, really, enjoyed me accidentally shooting him in the head with my PDW.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Keeshhound posted:

:stare:

It would seem that Nalsek really, really, really, enjoyed me accidentally shooting him in the head with my PDW.

Yeah, that uh. That happens every time I die. I think the Lumifiber is bugged.

e: I also apparently have jiggle physics for my crotchpiece, and when I am rezzed it retracts back into me.

This is amazing.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 2, 2014

Jazzy Jones
May 25, 2008
Are EU goons still on Vanu side on Miller server?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Jazzy Jones posted:

I think there are still a few playing on Miller, but I suspect that most of us have moved to Emerald.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

:siren: In 2 4 hours from the time of this post the Cobalt vs. Ceres MergerSmash will begin :siren:

Official stream at twitch.tv/planetside2 (link)

Why it will be interesting:

- It will be held on Jaeger (which runs live PS2 rather than test), with BR100 ad-hoc characters that will be given out just before the match starts. With no 1c resource boosts, no SC depot, no pre-stocked C4 stashes (and no PTS nanites-based revamp), the resource economy is going to be a LOT tighter than usual, i.e. less MAX- and C4-spamming.

- Unlike the [Matth vs Wat]erson match, this one actually has the new server name at stake. Winners will keep their own, losers will mope. Drama potential in case of a close or contested match: off the charts.

Who you should root for:

- There are at best a couple of goons playing on each server, so don't worry about sticking up for your :10bux: comrades

- Ceres is the underdog. To the best of my Google-fu they've lost every single Smash they played, includng one with Cobalt a few months ago (though it was only a 96v96). On top, or more likely because of that, they have taken a rather happy-go-lucky attitude towards the match, which should endear them to goons. They're playing VS.

- Cobalt is the favourite. Their very first Smash was a loss to the better-organised Connery; after which they shaped up, got some real high command and structure, and haven't lost a Smash since - culminating in a crushing 78-13 warpgating slash PPA-farm against Miller. They are going into the match with a bombastic and arguably overconfident attitude. They are playing NC.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 2, 2014

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Jazzy Jones posted:

As far as I know they are dead, or became a sort of gaming group that plays other stuff too (check their steam group). Most euro goons playing Planetside today can be found in GOKU, we roll with a couple of Scandinavians and other subhuman euro-trash. Usually at least a squad full, as well with some night-shift US. With the new server merge, playing at 8-9 PM on GMT is pretty much a primetime on Emerald now.

Can't speak for GOON, though I don't think they're as active in regards to Euro-specific playtimes and people.

Jazzy Jones
May 25, 2008

Zsinjeh posted:

As far as I know they are dead, or became a sort of gaming group that plays other stuff too (check their steam group). Most euro goons playing Planetside today can be found in GOKU, we roll with a couple of Scandinavians and other subhuman euro-trash. Usually at least a squad full, as well with some night-shift US. With the new server merge, playing at 8-9 PM on GMT is pretty much a primetime on Emerald now.

Can't speak for GOON, though I don't think they're as active in regards to Euro-specific playtimes and people.

How's the lag ? Cause I have ping 200 to US server so dunno if it is playable.

Jazzy Jones fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 2, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I have 150 ping to the server, from the US. 200 is plenty playable when you're not talking counterstrike or quake, or something without :dice: netcode.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Zsinjeh posted:

Even though I am now employed and no longer play Planetside 2 at absurd hours anymore, I have been told by others in GOON that there are 1-2 squads early in the morning most days of GOON members.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Gaghskull posted:

Even though I am now employed and no longer play Planetside 2 at absurd hours anymore, I have been told by others in GOON that there are 1-2 squads early in the morning most days of GOON members.
Nice, I'm gladly corrected then. Either way, healty euro goon prescense on Emerald and the lag is pretty much non-existent. I'm pretty sure I have better ping then some Americans with their third world network :smugdog:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Pomp posted:

I have 150 ping to the server, from the US. 200 is plenty playable when you're not talking counterstrike or quake, or something without :dice: netcode.

Anything less than 500ms is a luxury and you would do well to remember that. :argh:

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older

NihilCredo posted:

:siren: In 2 hours from the time of this post the Cobalt vs. Ceres MergerSmash will begin :siren:
Isn't it 2000 UTC, i.e. 3 hours and ten minutes from the time of this post?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Horizontal Tree posted:

I'm honestly surprised the Tempest isn't just a 200-damage Cyclone.
Higby pls
526 RPM 200 damage weapon would just be too much

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Oh boy every faction on Emerald has 50% pop on a different Continent :bravo:

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Emerald is the new Connery. Ghost capping circles around eachother.
VS got watered down (heh) pretty bad with the merge too. Not that DaPP et al were superstars.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
VS got competent players. NC got PHX.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Segmentation Fault posted:

You might as well have got the AI bots from the VR.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Segmentation Fault posted:

PHX is not that bad honestly. They were terrible when they first came over, but quickly realized they couldn't just zerg it up like they used to. They've since started talking to GOON/other more specialized outfits and follow orders in Command.

They may not beat GOKU/DA but they can beat the average Vanu player, and they are happy to take lead/hold points with their bodies.

Honestly the average Vanu isn't very good after playing both sides. They rarely use class abilities, barely work together/communicate, and don't seem to be very effective at combined arms at all. Id rather farm DaPP then PHX, because at least DaPP doesn't seem to call for backup.

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

A Tartan Tory posted:

You might as well have got the AI bots from the VR.
No, this is totally inaccurate! The bots don't give me XP for killing them :v:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Rookersh posted:

PHX is not that bad honestly. They were terrible when they first came over, but quickly realized they couldn't just zerg it up like they used to. They've since started talking to GOON/other more specialized outfits and follow orders in Command.

They may not beat GOKU/DA but they can beat the average Vanu player, and they are happy to take lead/hold points with their bodies.

Honestly the average Vanu isn't very good after playing both sides. They rarely use class abilities, barely work together/communicate, and don't seem to be very effective at combined arms at all. Id rather farm DaPP then PHX, because at least DaPP doesn't seem to call for backup.

That's a good point. Post-merge NC has actually been really on the ball. For all the poo poo higher-ups gives PHX and TAS, they respond to calls for assistance and actually play the game at the strategic level ("the meta"). Whether or not they do it well is up to debate (I heard about a PHX guy quoting Sun Tzu) but they participate, which I suppose is better than DaPP.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Fierce Brosnan posted:

Isn't it 2000 UTC, i.e. 3 hours and ten minutes from the time of this post?

:negative:

Daylight saving time, my only weakness :arghfist::smith:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

PHX and TAS have been some reliable rear end comrades since the merger. I'd rather have them than the insular separatists the VS got.

Also PHX will beat DA most of the time because PHX brings numbers and numbers trump all. Just wipe'm off the balcony and then secure the gun deck and they'll go away on their own

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I love PHX. They're like a tenacious AOD and are usually a good sign of certs to be had.

dirty nub
Jan 19, 2009

I really want to see AoD and PHX duke it out on the test server. As many mans as they can each muster.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

PHX is certainly very willing to provide certs for the opposition, but I don't know if that's a "good" quality if you're on NC.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
In the just-ended alert on Indar, NC captured the point on Briggs Laboratories, a TR facility. I checked that the alert would end in 3 minutes 30 seconds, and the facility would be captured in 3 minutes 10 seconds. The point did not get touched by TR. The alert timer reached 00:00 ten seconds before the capture timer did :soe: It even was 34%/32%/32% TR/NC/VS, could have changed the outcome.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Trogdos! posted:

In the just-ended alert on Indar, NC captured the point on Briggs Laboratories, a TR facility. I checked that the alert would end in 3 minutes 30 seconds, and the facility would be captured in 3 minutes 10 seconds. The point did not get touched by TR. The alert timer reached 00:00 ten seconds before the capture timer did :soe: It even was 34%/32%/32% TR/NC/VS, could have changed the outcome.

This is why you run shadowplay because fuckin lol

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

:soe: is many things, but coding a timer that is out of sync with another timer IN THE SAME PROGRAM is :soe: as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Trogdos! posted:

I remember a few weeks ago when the alert ended on like 32%/33%/33% TR/NC/VS and it just decided to us on the VS a flat out victory. Truly some mathematical experts are powering this fake war machine.

• Locked thread