Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Fetucine posted:

Auron gets his Overdrives by picking up the spheres with videos of him, Jecht, and Braska on their pilgrimage. Most of them are scattered from Besaid to Guadosalam, so you're mostly out of luck until postgame. I think there's one on Gagazet? If you're playing the HD remake, there's an optional boss blocking Besaid village, so you're hosed out of getting them at all until you're really strong, but his second or third Overdrive is the best anyway and only needs a couple spheres.

Lulu just picking up -aga sounds a little late, but not tremendously. Are you using the standard or expert grid? Switching everybody in for boss fights?

Yojimbo is mostly postgame but you can get him right before Gagazet. There's a transition area between the Calm Lands and Gagazet where you had to fight a golem boss. Head back there, poke around the central part and you'll find a pathway down. There's a cave in there, at the end of it you can get Yojimbo. You can bargain him down by offering half of what he opens with and increasing the price by one gil each time, but he won't go below ~200k, which is probably most of what you've got. It might be worth double-checking all those numbers just in case, I haven't played in a while. Yojimbo isn't really necessary for the next boss, though; if you really want to be cheap about it, you can fill up all the summons' Overdrive bars and summon them back to back. That'll wipe out 2/3rds or more of almost any main game boss's HP.

That is hella lame about Auron's overdrives. You mean I can't go back to non-Besaid places before beating the game? That's stupid.

And I'm using the normal grid. I figure I'll just grind in the area before Flux and try my best later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Calaveron posted:

That is hella lame about Auron's overdrives. You mean I can't go back to non-Besaid places before beating the game? That's stupid.

And I'm using the normal grid. I figure I'll just grind in the area before Flux and try my best later.

Nah, you can totally walk back and get pretty much all of them, so long as you turn around just about immediately after defeating Spherimorph. The cut off for not being allowed to backtrack is very soon after that fight. Might or might not be able to get the Besaid one, since I'm not sure if Dark Valefor spawns then or not (I've not tried to walk back in this version).

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Nah, you can totally walk back and get pretty much all of them, so long as you turn around just about immediately after defeating Spherimorph. The cut off for not being allowed to backtrack is very soon after that fight. Might or might not be able to get the Besaid one, since I'm not sure if Dark Valefor spawns then or not (I've not tried to walk back in this version).

Isn't there an airship before the endgame?

Fetucine
Oct 29, 2011

Calaveron posted:

I phrased it badly, in a little while you get an airship and can go anywhere except Besaid village. The other Dark Aeons are mostly out of the way or require an explicit prompt. In general they're really stupid; they were added to give the people who spent dozens of hours maxing stats something to fight.

There's one other obnoxious Dark Aeon that sits on top of a part of Tidus' ultimate weapon. In the dungeon after Gagazet you'll fight a boss with multiple forms, search the room you fight it in until you get the Sun Crest. You get the airship right after you leave the room, which is when the Dark Aeons appear, so if you don't get the Sun Crest on the first visit, you have to fight Dark Bahamut for it. The other part of Tidus' weapon is a pain in the rear end too, but it's just a bad minigame.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Calaveron posted:

Isn't there an airship before the endgame?

There is, but you don't get it until a bit later.

Not a lot of people bother backtracking until they get the airship anyway, so you're pretty good. It's a looooong walk without the airship, and the cut off point for not being allowed to is not very apparent (I think it's when the Al Bhed show up in Macalania).

Anyway. Seymour Flux. He can be a bit of a bitch but there's a few things to do. He's vulnerable to Wakka's Silence Buster, which can neutralize a lot of his attacks. And Wantz sells armor that prevents Zombie, just outside where the fight is. You can also just truck around near the save point, and build up your aeon's Overdrivers. You have a second before he destroys them, so they can contribute a large amount of damage for you. He's got 70k HP, but it's entirely doable without Yojimbo.

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 2, 2014

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Dark Valefor (and most of the other dark aeons) spawns after completing the events in Bevelle and reaching the Calm Lands. After defeating Crawler at Lake Macalania though, you've already been locked into the plot events until the end of Bevelle, and the space between Spherimorph and Crawler is very short. Even after Bevelle, you still can't backtrack through Guadosalam until you get the airship, so if you didn't already fet it then have fun with Dark Valefor.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
FFX was the last great Final Fantasy game in my opinion, which is something I only realized upon playing FFX HD. The funny thing about it is that it's probably just as linear as FFXIII but you never really notice it because the areas are actually larger and wide-open and interspersed with towns/locations/NPCs. If FFXIII were like that, I think I would've liked it three times as much as I did. And then we have FFXII which is the polar opposite of FFXIII: so wide open it feels aimless and the story has much less of an impact.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 2, 2014

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Flux. He can be a bit of a bitch but there's a few things to do. He's vulnerable to Wakka's Silence Buster, which can neutralize a lot of his attacks.

He's also vulnerable to Poison, which ruins his day even more. Both Flux and Natus change tactics around at set HP thresholds, but that doesn't trigger if Poison is what drops them below it. Just poison him, sit back and wait until you can finish him off with one more hit. Doesn't even take that long, really.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Dragonatrix posted:

He's also vulnerable to Poison, which ruins his day even more. Both Flux and Natus change tactics around at set HP thresholds, but that doesn't trigger if Poison is what drops them below it. Just poison him, sit back and wait until you can finish him off with one more hit. Doesn't even take that long, really.

I was not actually aware of that, so cool. Next time I do that fight, if I can drum up the will to start a new save after getting my PS3 fixed, I'll try that. I knew it worked with Natus, but not with Flux.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Captain Mog posted:

FFX was the last great Final Fantasy game in my opinion, which is something I only realized upon playing FFX HD. The funny thing about it is that it's probably just as linear as FFXIII but you never really notice it because the areas are actually larger and wide-open and interspersed with towns/locations/NPCs. If FFXIII were like that, I think I would've liked it three times as much as I did. And then we have FFXII which is the polar opposite of FFXIII: so wide open it feels aimless and the story has much less of an impact.

FFXIII was themed around your entire party being worldwide criminals, though. I liked the explanation for why there's no towns and no real exploration at least. They got poo poo to do, covertly.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Captain Mog posted:

FFXIII's linearity is not a problem because you don't have towns and NPCs, it's a problem because you never do anything else but fighting pre-determined monsters. In FF10, you can decide to grind for spheres to unlock stuff, you can train Overdrive modes and (for Tidus) kinds, you can play around with Summons, find stuff to synthesize in a system that is not loving stupid, capture monsters after a while, start on getting Ultimate Weapon stuff (if that doesn't drive you insane) et cetera. It helps that you have side areas like the aforementioned Yojimbo's cave which are 100% optional, or open places like the Calm Lands, but I don't think it's the main thing separating the games.

No, the distinction is that FF10 was designed to tell a story and still be fun in-between, whereas FF13 was designed to somehow cobble together bits and pieces of a trainwreck. It's far too barebones to ever become fun until you get choices, which in FF10 you have from the very beginning.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Captain Mog posted:

FFX was the last great Final Fantasy game in my opinion,

But we've had XII and XIV and Bravely Default :confused:

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
If you know his pattern, Seymour Flux is usually fairly simple to beat. Seymour himself is slightly faster than Mortiorchis, so he will occasionally skip his turn. Use Bio on Seymour, then Hastega and Mighty Guard on your party. His first pattern looks like this: -

Seymour uses Lance of Atrophy. (Causes Zombie)
Mortiorchis uses Full Life.

Repeat those steps one more time.

Seymour casts Dispel. It hits everyone in the active party at once. Use Silence Buster or hit him with a Silencestrike weapon to block it.
Mortiorchis uses Cross Cleave. (Massive physical damage, can be halved with Protect)

This pattern then repeats from the beginning. After enough damage, Seymour casts protect on himself once. Dispel it if you can. After he reaches 35,000 hp the pattern changes.

Seymour will cast Reflect, then Flare on himself. Reflect can be dispelled, if it is Seymour hits himself with Flare. Silence can stop both of course. He will skip all of his turns after this until the pattern repeats.

Mortiorchis will spend two turns charging, then use Total Annihilation. (Massive magic damage, can be halved with Shell)

This pattern then repeats from the beginning.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Bravely Default is not an FF, hell the real game begins when you remove the FF.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

But we've had XII and XIV and Bravely Default :confused:

Loved Bravely Default but it isn't a FF game. XIV is online so I don't include that or XI as I've never played them- but maybe they are good. I don't like XII at all; in fact, I might dislike it even more than XIII.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Do you think we'll be seeing more JRPG games on home consoles/PC this generation compared to the last? I checked out a few of those top lists for the PS3/360 generation and I can only find like 2 JRPGs that came out in recent time, but when you look at the PS1 and PS2 lists, JRPGs take up at least 1/3rd of the entire list.

I'm guessing they just don't sell as well on home consoles anymore compared to 10 years ago? I mean, why else has Atlus not released a single JRPG on PS3?

We still have FFXV coming out, but I'm not too confident in Square these days after the XIII trilogy. Not to mentioned that it's still going to take years for the game to come out.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Cardboard Fox posted:

I'm guessing they just don't sell as well on home consoles anymore compared to 10 years ago? I mean, why else has Atlus not released a single JRPG on PS3?

Mostly because they've been releasing drat near every PS2 SMT game on PSN recently. They do have Persona 5 coming to the PS3 though. Their new releases for PS3 is a tiny tiny list in general, really, and mostly stuff they didn't develop themselves.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cardboard Fox posted:

Do you think we'll be seeing more JRPG games on home consoles/PC this generation compared to the last? I checked out a few of those top lists for the PS3/360 generation and I can only find like 2 JRPGs that came out in recent time, but when you look at the PS1 and PS2 lists, JRPGs take up at least 1/3rd of the entire list.
Dude, that's not a case of 'JRPGs don't exist,' that's a case of 'JRPGs aren't as popular/well regarded.'

Also Atlus has had lots of internal difficulties and troubles, and the Shin Megami Tensei and Etrian Oddysey franchises both seem to be stapled to the DS.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

Dude, that's not a case of 'JRPGs don't exist,' that's a case of 'JRPGs aren't as popular/well regarded.'

Also Atlus has had lots of internal difficulties and troubles, and the Shin Megami Tensei and Etrian Oddysey franchises both seem to be stapled to the DS.

They did get bought by Sega so expect their other franchises to end up on next-gen consoles and PC going forward.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Don't expect that, Sega has stated they don't really plan to enforce Atlus to anything that haven't already been doing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The only thing Sega should enforce is more PC ports.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

Captain Mog posted:

I noticed the same thing about the linearity when playing through X for the first time a month or two back, and I think the issue is that the problem with FF13 isn't its linearity, it's the fact that the tutorial is half the game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The other issue is that FFX is one of the more simpler jrpg stories in general. What you see in the beginning, you fight in the end and any normally cliche things are incredibly forshadowed or treated as not a big deal (your dad's a space whale barely a fraction into the game).

FF13 requires reading a wiki and you're still left confused about why these guys are dicks for pointless reasons.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cardboard Fox posted:

We still have FFXV coming out, but I'm not too confident in Square these days after the XIII trilogy. Not to mentioned that it's still going to take years for the game to come out.

JRPGs never made the transition to HD intact. They're still being made but mostly for handhelds. PC ports are also usually an afterthought after someone in the West convinces them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JRPGs are unfortunately way too expensive for their market anymore, unless they're named Final Fantasy (and arguably not even then anymore.). RPGs in general are huge budget sinks that require a fairly dependable return on investment to really be profitable. For the budget of an HD RPG you can more reasily make a more profitable genre, basically.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Here's a little callback in FF9 that I've never noticed until now:

It's the Magus Sisters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Here's a little callback in FF9 that I've never noticed until now:

It's the Magus Sisters.

Oh man, that's a subtle one.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

JRPGs are unfortunately way too expensive for their market anymore, unless they're named Final Fantasy (and arguably not even then anymore.). RPGs in general are huge budget sinks that require a fairly dependable return on investment to really be profitable. For the budget of an HD RPG you can more reasily make a more profitable genre, basically.

Which is why they've mostly moved to mobile and handheld. Lower budget, bigger audience.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I wonder if how expensive it is to make HD RPGs is the reason behind the...uh, cutscene style in Mugen Souls Z. (judge me if you want, it was a lot of fun. Good music too) Nobody really moved, it was just characters standing around talking to the screen and maybe some animations around their faces or something.

Another budget thing I encountered with MSZ was that the dub wasn't even finished. I don't think I've ever encountered that in any other JRPG with voice-acting. NISA had to choose which scenes they could provide with English voices.

Captain Mog posted:

Loved Bravely Default but it isn't a FF game. XIV is online so I don't include that or XI as I've never played them- but maybe they are good. I don't like XII at all; in fact, I might dislike it even more than XIII.

Um, may I ask why you would hate XII more than XIII? The only area, the ONLY area, I would place XIII above XII is in the main party. XIIi treated its main cast better than XII's by and large. Everything else...I just can't see it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I wonder if how expensive it is to make HD RPGs is the reason behind the...uh, cutscene style in Mugen Souls Z. (judge me if you want, it was a lot of fun. Good music too) Nobody really moved, it was just characters standing around talking to the screen and maybe some animations around their faces or something.

Jesus Christ dude, Mugen Souls Z? Really? I can not imagine how anyone on Earth would find that game fun. I know that sounds like a dick thing to say but even ignoring the massive creepfest that is the Captivate system, it's a really tedious poorly made Compile Heart game which is in itself a lesser knockoff of another Compile Heart game. (And for a Compile Heart game, that's saying something!)

But yes, the visual novel style is much, much, much cheaper to make, which is why a lot of games use that style. Full cutscenes are a giant pain in the rear end. Even stuff like Mass Effect tends to default to talking heads with pre-canned animations for a lot of stuff because of that. (Although it got better as the franchise went on and they got more budget.) Same for just 'still characters talking with very limited movement" like you see in Atelier or whatever.

Likewise, the "cut back on English dubbing" is another thing becoming more popular because it is more cost effective. It isn't super-common compared to a full dub or full original but it happens from time to time.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 3, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Please do not cut back on English dubbing, the less I need to hear the lovely voices of cute characters, the better.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Another budget thing I encountered with MSZ was that the dub wasn't even finished. I don't think I've ever encountered that in any other JRPG with voice-acting. NISA had to choose which scenes they could provide with English voices.
Tales of Legendia only dubbed the first half of the game, but that was a legitimate mistake - the second half of the game is comprised of random episodes capping off the character's developments as opposed to one coherent narrative. The dubbers thought it was all sidequest stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

Please do not cut back on English dubbing, the less I need to hear the lovely voices of cute characters, the better.

But if you play all squeaky cute voices at once it can be used as a sonic weapon capable of drilling through solid rock!

Endorph posted:

Tales of Legendia only dubbed the first half of the game, but that was a legitimate mistake - the second half of the game is comprised of random episodes capping off the character's developments as opposed to one coherent narrative. The dubbers thought it was all sidequest stuff.

Dynasty Warriors 8 also cut some stuff out, for another recent example.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I will die if I can never hear the dulcet tones of Liam O' Brien ever again.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Jesus Christ dude, Mugen Souls Z? Really? I can not imagine how anyone on Earth would find that game fun. I know that sounds like a dick thing to say but even ignoring the massive creepfest that is the Captivate system, it's a really tedious poorly made Compile Heart game which is in itself a lesser knockoff of another Compile Heart game. (And for a Compile Heart game, that's saying something!)

It came out around the time I got my new PS3 so I just picked it up. I already traded it in since I ain't going for no Level 9999 though. That is crazy, even for someone who doesn't mind grinding.

Is it a "knockoff" of those Neptunia games I've heard about? It's the only other thing by them I've heard of. Are they better then? Seems like a lot of the same people do the dub for Neptunia and one thing I was pleasantly surprised with was the quality of MSZ's dub.

quote:

Likewise, the "cut back on English dubbing" is another thing becoming more popular because it is more cost effective. It isn't super-common compared to a full dub or full original but it happens from time to time.

I hope this doesn't become a popular trend. I mean, I understand if you have no choice but it still feels....cheap when important bits are left just to text boxes. I guess I really shouldn't mind since I have no problem playing old school text-heavy JRPGs but it still bugs me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

It came out around the time I got my new PS3 so I just picked it up. I already traded it in since I ain't going for no Level 9999 though. That is crazy, even for someone who doesn't mind grinding.

Is it a "knockoff" of those Neptunia games I've heard about? It's the only other thing by them I've heard of. Are they better then? Seems like a lot of the same people do the dub for Neptunia and one thing I was pleasantly surprised with was the quality of MSZ's dub.

I mean, they're... better than Mugen Souls Z but they're still pretty bad games. Compile Heart is sort of infamous for making nothing but low-budget low-quality games that survive entirely on their ability to pander to a specific market. They're even a joke among Japanese fans. I guess if you really liked Mugen Souls Z and weren't skeeved out by the material you might like Neptunia which is generally considered one of their better franchises. I can't really recommend it but YMMV since you enjoyed MSZ.

Fairy Fencer F which comes out later this year is also kind of a knockoff but has Amano, Uematsu and Toushiki Inoue on its staff so maybe you'll want to wait and give that a shot too.

NikkolasKing posted:

I hope this doesn't become a popular trend. I mean, I understand if you have no choice but it still feels....cheap when important bits are left just to text boxes. I guess I really shouldn't mind since I have no problem playing old school text-heavy JRPGs but it still bugs me.

It is cheap in that it lowers the budget, but if you don't want games that are trying to find ways to conserve budgets, RPGs are probably going to keep disappointing you. That said, they seem to be trending towards low-budget but fully voiced cutscenes.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well I enjoyed MSZ but I wasn't like blown away or anything. I have a huge backlog of JRPGs I want to play going back about two decades or so. I gotta try out those Suikoden games and Shadow Hearts (Mitsuda!) and so much more.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Um, may I ask why you would hate XII more than XIII? The only area, the ONLY area, I would place XIII above XII is in the main party. XIIi treated its main cast better than XII's by and large. Everything else...I just can't see it.

XII feels about as much like a FF game as XIII does, which isn't much really, but XIII definitely feels more like an evolution of where the X/X-2 team left off than XII does and if you were patiently waiting after X for the "next big FF game" I could see how you would be more disappointed in XII than XIII.

I also like XIII's battle system more than XII's, and I felt like the story of XIII is more interesting in the beginning but then it really just shits the bed and not like XII where the story more or less just disappears for large stretches of the game but it just gets really bad.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Play Mind-Zero, it is a hidden gem in the Vita catalog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Beef Waifu posted:

I will die if I can never hear the dulcet tones of Liam O' Brien ever again.

I mix up Liam O'Brien, Crispen Freeman, and Yuri Lowenthal all the time.

They're all one singular JRPG character to me.