Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Hegay posted:

Julio Grondona has died :getin:
Wasn't he "Jews cannot be trusted as referees" guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
35 years as head of the AFA, loving lunatic.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Wasn't he "Jews cannot be trusted as referees" guy?

He was more "Jews can't be trusted with the game in general", he wanted Pekerman out when he was Argentina manager

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

He also hated the English because of Falklands and he was a huge corrupt piece of poo poo

quote:

According to a former employee of the Qatar bid team, at least one adviser recommended that the Qatar Football Association make a payment of $78.4 million to help the Argentina Football Association, or AFA, dig out of a financial crisis that threatened the country's domestic league. This person said the payment was meant to help Qatar's relationship with AFA President Julio Grondona, who is a member of FIFA's executive committee.

lol

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Hegay posted:

He also hated the English because of Falklands and he was a huge corrupt piece of poo poo

"Yes, I voted for Qatar, because a vote for the US would be like a vote for England, and that is not possible."

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
If the Qatar football foundation sent me $78.4m it would improve my relationship with them greatly as well. Heck, I would do Michael Owen helicopter videos for them for the rest of my life for half of that.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
If there's a Qatari football official reading this thread at the moment, I can surely be persuaded by a modest sum of money (say, only around $1 million) to become their forums spokesperson and defend Qatar against all trolling.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Just fly me out to Qatar and give me a Rolex I'll even defend you in D&D

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

advanced statsman posted:

If there's a Qatari football official reading this thread at the moment, I can surely be persuaded by a modest sum of money (say, only around $1 million) to become their forums spokesperson and defend Qatar against all trolling.

I'll undercut this a**hole, Qatari guy.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I'm thinking they'll go for the guy with 'Islam FC' in his av

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Actually the Qatari officials are all cool buff dudes and they didn't really need to pay me to convince me that Qatar is, in fact, the best choice for a World Cup, cementing a new route to connect East and West and unite the world through Football.

This post sponsored by

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Actually the Qatari officials are all cool buff dudes and they didn't really need to pay me to convince me that Qatar is, in fact, the best choice for a World Cup, cementing a new route to connect East and West and unite the world through Football.

This post sponsored by

they're the kind of guys you can have a beer with

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

This post sponsored by

corpuscollossus fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 2, 2014

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

What the gently caress

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Ka0 posted:

What the gently caress

Makes all your little nights out seem pretty lovely.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Hello, friend! I see you have found yet one more example of gracious and generous Qatari financial aid. I'm glad they are helping this world become united through the power of football. Truth be told, Qatar have worked hard to bring us the best World Cup, and I for one can't wait for it to start.

Qatar Airways, fly to your football dreams

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Exclusive video of the FIFA 2018 and 2020 vote

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I have just returned from a week's holiday in an undisclosed location and I can in fact confirm that Qatar is cool and good and definitely won the World Cup fair and square on the merits of its bid and with no money changing hands at all, and anyone suggesting otherwise should be prepared for a lengthy legal and/or physical battle.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/2014/08/04/fifa_boss_sepp_blatter_hypes_possible_canadian_bid_for_2026_world_cup.html

I thought Canadians were supposed to be nice and polite, not shady enough to bribe Sepp.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Force America to pay more bribe money with the threat of competition...

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

We've hosted a few youth tournaments and we're hosting the Women's World Cup next year, it's clearly leading up to a 2026 bid which the CSA has said they're planning on making. Plus maybe we can just get someone from Montreal to head up the bid team, they speak Sepp's language (money; also, French).

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
Well, Canada is a corrupt petro-state, so it would fit the pattern.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

China will get it.

Or North Korea.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

vyelkin posted:

We've hosted a few youth tournaments and we're hosting the Women's World Cup next year, it's clearly leading up to a 2026 bid which the CSA has said they're planning on making. Plus maybe we can just get someone from Montreal to head up the bid team, they speak Sepp's language (money; also, French).

I was thinking maybe someone from Toronto... someone with the last name Ford.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Was Taters posted:

I was thinking maybe someone from Toronto... someone with the last name Ford.

He'd probably show up to the bid presentation, sweat a lot, loudly announce that "soccer is for fags", and pass out. TRP would love it.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

vyelkin posted:

A bid... for the World Cup? Like, the actual World Cup with the teams and stuff? You want to do that in Canada? Like, the actual Canada? With the nothing at all and stuff?

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

They'd have to change the format. Instead of the group stage and knockout round all teams would play a series of 7 friendlies.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

FullLeatherJacket posted:

A bid... for the World Cup? Like, the actual World Cup with the teams and stuff? You want to do that in Canada? Like, the actual Canada? With the nothing at all and stuff?

More stuff than Qatar, and just as much oil. If they can do it, so can plucky little Canada.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
Eugenio Figueredo is the new FIFA Vice-President. He might be corrupt but he's our corrupt.

The No! Team
Jan 6, 2012

vyelkin posted:

We've hosted a few youth tournaments and we're hosting the Women's World Cup next year, it's clearly leading up to a 2026 bid which the CSA has said they're planning on making.

Is it even possible to convert ice hockey arenas to football?

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

The No! Team posted:

Is it even possible to convert ice hockey arenas to football?

Clearly someone has never watched the MISL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVRtyzfMQzk

The No! Team
Jan 6, 2012

Yes, I'm all for this! Canada 2026!

Keep the soundtrack

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Bitch it might be

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Lamont Cranston posted:

Clearly someone has never watched the MISL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVRtyzfMQzk

The St Louis Steamers.

The No! Team
Jan 6, 2012

the sex ghost posted:

The St Louis Steamers.

vs.

The Denver Nuggets

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It's a ploy to compensate for the high temps in Qatar. All games in 2026 will be held above the arctic circle to bring the average down to normal.

K U N T Z
Dec 29, 2008

The Lot Of You...
Well this thread has fully gone to poo poo, gg yanks.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

K U N T Z posted:

Well this thread has fully gone to poo poo, gg yanks.

Don't you lump Canadians in with the proper and upright people of the United States.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Was Taters posted:

Don't you lump Canadians in with the proper and upright people of the United States.

Was quite rude if I'm being honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Not that it is a big surprise or anything, but scientists have shown that holding the WC in Qatar during summer would be a health hazard for the players and supporters.

quote:

You're reading that graph correctly. Between 7 A.M. and 2:30 P.M.* during the time of the World Cup, the average PET will be between 45 and 50 degrees Celsius or higher. Converted to Fahrenheit, that's between 113 and 122 degrees! At PETs like that, heat stroke, where the body's temperature rises above 104 degrees Fahrenheit, can occur in a manner of hours or less, Matzarakis says, depending on factors like age, clothing, and alcohol intake. Heat stroke can result in permanent organ damage or even death.

http://www.realclearscience.com/journal_club/2014/08/21/a_world_cup_in_qatars_summer_wont_be_safe_for_fans_108796.html