Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.
So it looks like Jadeite escaped alive, though who knows if that's only so he can be killed by Beryl. What does this mean for the series overall? Also is the masquerade ball happening next what happened in the manga? Or are we now getting some filler? I remember this upcoming episode from the original anime and I recall it being the episode where the senshi meet Nephrite. So it would be strange if Jadeite was still around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Jedite escaped but we're still going at Manga pace going by chapter title (so this time next month Jupiter's episode should happen swiftly followed by a bum rush of Videos set to Don't Lose Your Way on youtube)

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 2, 2014

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
My favorite is the one with the skirt :riker:

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Maybe its a perspective thing, but... :pwn:

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Maybe its a perspective thing, but... :pwn:

They're totally looking in different directions. Some things about this show are super pretty but other times I just feel like someone at a key stage doesn't care.
Or it could be because it's an Original Net Animation and thus has a bargain-basement budget. Blah, Toei couldn't throw some of their Pretty Cure money Sailor Moon's way?

(Reigniting the previous page's controversy, Sailor Jupiter is totally the best.)

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

the best one is the one whose attack is called "Super Uterus" or something

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I notice they kept the end of episode preview in the crunchyroll version this time.

I imagine Jadeite will bite it in the cold open on the 16th's episode.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

a cartoon duck posted:

That's an odd way of spelling "Coconut Cyclone"...

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The best Sailor is Sailor Guts.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Just chiming in to agree with everyone who said Jupiter is the best.

Mercury's a close second.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dove from Above posted:

They're totally looking in different directions. Some things about this show are super pretty but other times I just feel like someone at a key stage doesn't care.
Or it could be because it's an Original Net Animation and thus has a bargain-basement budget. Blah, Toei couldn't throw some of their Pretty Cure money Sailor Moon's way?

(Reigniting the previous page's controversy, Sailor Jupiter is totally the best.)

I for one praise Toei for making a bold move in bringing people like me with irregular strabismus to the forefront of established and beloved franchises. :colbert:

Joking aside, even if you shift the left eye all the way to the left (please pardon the quick photoshop job), it's clear that the pupils still aren't looking the same way.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 2, 2014

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

a cartoon duck posted:

oh dear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DU9sQi_wnQ

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Dove from Above posted:

show doesn't have a budget problem, it just has awful scheduling. you cant fix a schedule with money.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Well, first appearance and they really did make Rei seem way more refined then the original series. Plus her raves are constantly present, which was cool to see.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

I for one praise Toei for making a bold move in bringing people like me with irregular strabismus to the forefront of established and beloved franchises. :colbert:

Joking aside, even if you shift the left eye all the way to the left (please pardon the quick photoshop job), it's clear that the pupils still aren't looking the same way.

That looks WAY better though.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

aers posted:

show doesn't have a budget problem, it just has awful scheduling. you cant fix a schedule with money.

Eh, I haven't been impressed by Happiness Charge visually, I have to say, but Smile and Heartcatch were so beautiful.

I'm crabby about this because, after all, one of the things even long-time adoring fans lament about the 90s anime is the incredibly inconsistent animation, which could range from extremely beautiful and expressive to flat and ugly. I had my heart set on the animation on Sailor Moon Crystal being both internally consistent and beautiful. That would be a priority, right? Right? :kiddo: In this third episode I could see two distinct styles, one which worked well for me and one which I found distorted and ugly, on the characters' faces. Within the same episode! :ohdear:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Nobody in this thread realizes Saturn is the actual best? How disappointing.

Kind of surprised to hear Jadeite lived (haven't seen the episode quite yet). I'm interested to see why they did it this way, especially given that Jadeite's death was kind of a big deal to Nephrite in the manga.

QueerPope posted:

Also is the masquerade ball happening next what happened in the manga?

The ball does happen next, in honor of Princess Diamond, and Nephrite thinks maybe the Silver Crystal is there. Princess Diamond wears the same spiral glasses that Umino does and they get knocked off at some point, and she turns out to be really beautiful. Then Usagi and the others wonder if Umino would actually be super handsome if he took off his glasses.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

SpazmasterX posted:

Everyone knows Jupiter is the actual best.

Cless Alvein posted:

I'm sorry but you seem to have spelled "Mercury" incorrectly there.

atomicgeek posted:

Why is everyone having trouble spelling "Venus." V E N U S, five letters, not all that hard.

Actually, if you examine this gif closely, you can see who is truly the best.

Noriko

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mars is the best you are all completely and utterly loving nuts.

She even has the best transformation, especially the music. :allears:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Twelve by Pies posted:

This is the correct answer.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Dove from Above posted:

Eh, I haven't been impressed by Happiness Charge visually, I have to say, but Smile and Heartcatch were so beautiful.

I'm crabby about this because, after all, one of the things even long-time adoring fans lament about the 90s anime is the incredibly inconsistent animation, which could range from extremely beautiful and expressive to flat and ugly. I had my heart set on the animation on Sailor Moon Crystal being both internally consistent and beautiful. That would be a priority, right? Right? :kiddo: In this third episode I could see two distinct styles, one which worked well for me and one which I found distorted and ugly, on the characters' faces. Within the same episode! :ohdear:

Sorry, I'm just sick of people throwing around the word budget like it means anything in this case. There are shows with budget issues, this probably just isn't one.

You're entirely right there are two different styles in episode 3. The stuff that actually looks finished/corrected and the stuff that looks like Picasso. The episode had two animation directors where it was only supposed to have one. All the stuff that looks fine was (probably, this is an informed guess) animated by normal staff and corrected by the scheduled AD, but at some point they realized they wouldn't finish the episode on time. They called in 8(!) different outsource studios to finish it on time, full of people with questionable talent and not a lot of time to get things done. They also called in a second AD to help correct things but there simply wasn't enough time to get it done. Having to rely on a ton of extra staff to get things done is a big indicator of work schedule issues, not budget; if they had no budget how could they hire so much extra staff?

So, the scheduling issue. Why is the schedule so loving bad? And it is bad - episode 4 isn't even remotely complete and is probably going to be a disaster (the majority of footage from the preview is recycled). Toei has notoriously bad scheduling even at the best of times; Heartcatch looks good because Umakoshi corrects like a madman and Smile probably just got lucky. However, right now, Toei has the largest workload they've ever had; they're making 6 weekly shows on top of Crystal. Every single show they're making is suffering from a complete lack of available staff to get things done on time. Crystal is suffering the most. I don't know why and I don't know enough about Toei's internal workings to speculate but its a shame because I trust the key staff to do things right if they had the resources.

The only good news is that at least one of those weekly shows is ending in Fall. We can only hope a couple others do. They aren't exactly making a lot of money.

aers fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 3, 2014

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
None of you people know how to spell Neptune, geez.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

neongrey posted:

None of you people know how to spell Neptune, geez.

Yeah seriously goddamn get a loving spellchecker.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Between arguing about who is the best Senshi thanks to Crystal and Kai having us arguing about Goku's power level it really feels like the internet has rolled back 20 years and I'm reading AOL message boards again and I love it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Finally saw the new episode, and while there were parts where the animation quality was pretty bad, I at least didn't see as many derp eyes as I remember in episode 2, so that's a good thing. This episode also caused me to notice the music is really good. The music that played during/after the Sailor Mars transformation was great and I'm hoping they'll release the soundtrack.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Basically

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Actually the really sad thing about Crystal is, you can see someone at Toei is trying to put out a quality product with Crystal, Umino's whole bit where he's being a dork about the urban myth doesn't get made if eveyone on the project doesn't get a gently caress...

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

ConanThe3rd posted:

Actually the really sad thing about Crystal is, you can see someone at Toei is trying to put out a quality product with Crystal, Umino's whole bit where he's being a dork about the urban myth doesn't get made if eveyone on the project doesn't get a gently caress...

That and Mars's transformation theme.

twistedbutterfly
Jan 20, 2007

atomicgeek posted:

Why is everyone having trouble spelling "Venus." V E N U S, five letters, not all that hard.

Venus is easily the best senshi :hfive:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

my favorite sailor moon is wedding peach

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.
Can we all please shut up about who the best senshi is it's been going on for pages now and we have an actual new episode to talk about.

Like, can we talk about how Luna was typing on that laptop on Ami's lap? Lapcat using a laptop? And how cute that was? Because it was loving adorable.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

QueerPope posted:

Like, can we talk about how Luna was typing on that laptop on Ami's lap? Lapcat using a laptop? And how cute that was? Because it was loving adorable.

[Large version with Amy]

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

I love how Sailor Moon Crystal clearly believes, as I do, that Luna ought to be Ami's cat. Luna fuckin' loves Ami. Imagine how happy she would be living with her, just contentedly snoozing in a basket on her desk while she studies.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Dove from Above posted:

Blah, Toei couldn't throw some of their Pretty Cure money Sailor Moon's way?

Toei hasn't had money for precure for at least the last two seasons. Or animators or whatever. There was some speculation that Sailor Moon was the reason, but obviously that doesn't seem to be the case. Happiness Charge has had some really terribly animated episodes, but overall it's a good, fun show.

「And Cure Princess is the best Sailor Moon.」

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My girlfriend grew up in SE Asia watching Sailor Moon and, for someone who doesn't watch anime outside of irony cases, she's really excited about finding this on Hulu the other day, so we've been watching it together as a weird little bonding thing on the weekends. She also dipped into the original run simultaneously for a little bit and I dipped with her, and I enjoyed the role reversal of her explaining nonsensical lore and backstory to me for a change. Also she's had a pair of flower earrings since I've known her, and in this whole process I learned she bought them because "they look like Sailor Jupiter's earrings" (her favorite) :allears:

E:

Strange Quark posted:

The subtitles are still pretty bad, but now I find that they're kind of charming in how awful they are. Rascal, Sailor Mars! is my new favorite line. :allears:

Sailor Mars used "chastise" in her intro and my girlfriend asked what that meant. I told her "it's what you do to me when you come visit and I haven't vacuumed, or what I do when I see you left food out all night" :allears::hf::allears:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Aug 4, 2014

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Sailor Mars used "chastise" in her intro and my girlfriend asked what that meant. I told her "it's what you do to me when you come visit and I haven't vacuumed, or what I do when I see you left food out all night" :allears::hf::allears:

'In the name of Mars, I'll chastise you' is pretty well accepted across translations as What Rei Says. She likes to bust out the ten-dollar words.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Dove from Above posted:

'In the name of Mars, I'll chastise you' is pretty well accepted across translations as What Rei Says.

It probably is! I just think it's funny juxtaposed against my own internal definition of what chastise me. Like, instead of setting a monster on fire she's scolding it for not doing the dishes.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Well, I believe this is the specific word she uses. Gaze upon it and giggle.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Jadeite is into Mars? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!

QueerPope posted:

When that part happened, I crumpled into a puddle of "Awwwww"'s.
My roommate just sighed and said "I guess I should expect a large amount of Luna plushies to get ordered soon?"

Really, through all 3 episodes of Crystal so far, Luna has been goddamn adorable.

• Locked thread