Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best version of El?
This poll is closed.
Elminster 20 6.45%
Elmara 20 6.45%
Entwine 13 4.19%
GURPS 99 31.94%
El Kabong 153 49.35%
Elves 5 1.61%
Total: 310 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

The Cult of the Dragon is completely right. But it's not dead dragons that will rule the world entire, it's dead dragonborn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Arivia posted:

Okay, that's a lot of complicated stuff. Let's start from the basics and go from there.

This owns, thanks for the post. If you're not sick of me yet:

How does Dragonlance compare to the Forgotten Realms, does anyone care about it these days?

Is everything in Faerun about equally statted up by now or is there a bunch of places where someone just went "eh, I'm gonna set my novels here but who cares about people wanting to play there"? How about places outside of Faerun? Is the idea, generally, that Faerun's civilizations/major political players have the setting completely figured out or is it mostly all unexplored, dangerous mysteries to people who don't own a copy of the campaign guide?

Is there more to the timeline than "and then all the published modules happened roughly in order, separated by timeskips between editions"? Are there any playable/statted up other time periods besides whatever The Forgotten Realm Book, Edition $X happens to describe mainly? Does the setting, ignoring between-edition resets, undergo any significant, overarching changes or is it just like a bunch of kingdoms or evil empires rising and falling independently when adventures pass by?

Does Ed Greenwood give a poo poo about other authors' contributions to the setting?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Mormon Star Wars posted:

The Cult of the Dragon is completely right. But it's not dead dragons that will rule the world entire, it's dead dragonborn.

Legitimately a better idea than what they did to the Cult in the new edition.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Also who's the coolest spellcaster in the setting that is not related to Elminster in any way

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Effectronica posted:

Tolkien's world is post-apocalyptic. Ruins are everywhere, though less obviously in Wilderland. Have the remains of flets in northern Mirkwood, the ground floor of a dwarven inn out eastward, and all sorts of ruins in the areas north of Mordor and Gondor. These don't have to be ordinary ones, but the signs of previous inhabitants should be in all sorts of places.

Tolkien's world is also based heavily (less so for Third Age stuff) on Norse and Finnish sagas, so reading translated versions and throwing in catchy metaphors can help give it that proper feel, along with having people speak somewhat formally.

Thanks, Effectronica, I'll keep this in mind.

I worked out the second question myself, I think. As for the third question I'll just play until I figure it out.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Yeah I can't say I ever got complexity/gray areas out of FR. It might have just been the DMs I've all played with though. D&D in general is kind of bad at gray area stuff though so maybe that's not so much a problem with FR as the medium in general.

Mr. Maltose posted:

You can tell thousands of stories in the Forgotten Realms.

Most of them would be better elsewhere, but only there can you tell them all!

Heh

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

PeterWeller posted:

Yes, how dare she provide citations to support her claims instead of just repeating tired old bullshit. Even if you were to just look at the main books and sets, you'd see your claim is wrong. If Cormyr/Dales=good, why do the last three campaign guides/sets make such a big deal about the tensions between them over Cormyr's expansion? Nevermind that at least three of the Dales don't fit the "good" label. If Goblinoids/Zhentarim bad, then why put so much emphasis on the Kingdom of Many Arrows and include numerous reminders that many Zhentarim are just merchants out to make a buck? You don't need to find some obscure 1E supplement to get that information.

And as for stereotypical interactions between good guys and bad guys, how does that account for Khelben "betraying" the Harpers to help Fzoul or the alliance against the Phaerimm or the intrigues of the Masked Lords or Deudermond's failed attempt to "liberate" Luskan or Entreri and Jarlaxle's adventures or the fact that good goddess Sharess may be just an aspect of evil goddess Shar or any of the hundreds of other stories that aren't just good v evil?

A lot of the stuff you're mentioning is either from 4E, which went in a more morally vague direction for sure, or from various obscure splatbooks/novels. So, yeah, if you include every bit of lore that's ever been written for FR, it gets more complex. It's also hugely silly as a consequence of that. And I didn't say that all the realms was was EVIL VS GOOD FOREVER, but if you want to argue that it doesn't trend towards the comical good vs. comical evil angle... I don't know what setting you've been reading for the past few decades.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Darwinism posted:

A lot of the stuff you're mentioning is either from 4E, which went in a more morally vague direction for sure, or from various obscure splatbooks/novels. So, yeah, if you include every bit of lore that's ever been written for FR, it gets more complex. It's also hugely silly as a consequence of that. And I didn't say that all the realms was was EVIL VS GOOD FOREVER, but if you want to argue that it doesn't trend towards the comical good vs. comical evil angle... I don't know what setting you've been reading for the past few decades.

Literally nothing I mentioned comes from the 4E set. Cormyrian/Dales tensions date back to the Cormyrian expansion into Tilver's Gap, an event that happened in 1E or 2E. The not-good Dales have been not-good since 1E. The Kingdom of Many Arrows emerged in 3E. And the most Zhents are just merchants bit is also from 1E. The stories I mentioned come from the Drizzt books, the massive popular Cloak and Dagger supplement for 2E, the Return of the Archwizards series which was the 2E-3E RSE, and Faiths and Pantheons.

I know what setting you have not been reading, that's for loving sure.

E: And all D&D, even your precious Eberron, tends towards good v evil.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I picked up The Temptation of Elminster in a train station bookstore like a decade or so ago and I was super confused about just about everything and I guess that's sort of my forgotten realms experience. Maybe I should reread it after looking through some FR sourcebooks; which edition has the best FR sourcebooks?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The Cormyrean annexation of Tilverton was in the Current Clack for the Old Grey Box, so it is literally as old as the setting.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

The moral of the story is FR is super complex and deep if you account for everything that's ever had the logo on it, but super shallow if you go by the basic campaign guides.

edit: Wait, Eberron is my 'precious?' Granted, I like it a bit more than FR, but it's a setting with a much, much tighter theme than Forgotten Realms. That's why I've come to dislike FR somewhat, because it tries to do everything and ends up being a mish-mash, while settings with a tighter focus can more easily provide focus to a game just because of the setting.

edit2: I don't hate the Realms at all, it's just sort of aimless as a setting and, as it's been said, the publisher requirements have very much hindered a lot of depth that could have gone into it. It was definitely my favorite setting for a long time, and I still think that it's a pretty good setting overall in all of the editions. It just suffers hugely from publisher restrictions and from being the place where everything D&D could find a place.

Darwinism fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 2, 2014

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Vanadium posted:

Also who's the coolest spellcaster in the setting that is not related to Elminster in any way

Halaster Blackcloak, the Mad Mage of Undermountain.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It is interesting that Eberron is as tightly focused as it is, because came about from a contest that absolutely un-negotiable had to have a niche for everything in the core set of 3e from Aasimar to whatever doofyass thing started with zz.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Mr. Maltose posted:

It is interesting that Eberron is as tightly focused as it is, because came about from a contest that absolutely un-negotiable had to have a niche for everything in the core set of 3e from Aasimar to whatever doofyass thing started with zz.

To be fair, there's plenty of Eberron to just go nuts on and ignore the main focus of the Five Nations bit. Pretty much anything involving Xen'drik, for example.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Darwinism posted:

The moral of the story is FR is super complex and deep if you account for everything that's ever had the logo on it, but super shallow if you go by the basic campaign guides.

edit: Wait, Eberron is my 'precious?' Granted, I like it a bit more than FR, but it's a setting with a much, much tighter theme than Forgotten Realms. That's why I've come to dislike FR somewhat, because it tries to do everything and ends up being a mish-mash, while settings with a tighter focus can more easily provide focus to a game just because of the setting.

edit2: I don't hate the Realms at all, it's just sort of aimless as a setting and, as it's been said, the publisher requirements have very much hindered a lot of depth that could have gone into it. It was definitely my favorite setting for a long time, and I still think that it's a pretty good setting overall in all of the editions. It just suffers hugely from publisher restrictions and from being the place where everything D&D could find a place.

Come on, man. I just said that my first set of examples all came from the main campaign guides. And my second set came from widely popular and available supplements and novels. I specifically avoided pulling from region guides and less popular book series.

And fair enough. It sounded like you were trying to start a setting fight. I really like Eberron myself, and you're right that it's a lot thematically tighter than FR. But I don't see that as a qualitative difference, just a stylistic one. I don't see the Realms' breadth as a weakness. To me, it's a strength because it means I can run a very broad-based campaign that caters to a lot of different tastes and allows the group to explore many different themes over its course. With Eberron (or Dark Sun or Ravenloft or many others), I can run a more focused campaign, but I'll have to put a lot of ideas and inspirations on the back-burner because they won't fit, while I'll easily find a place for them in a Realms campaign. I've run every setting mentioned, and the choice has come down to what kind of stories my group wants to tell or what kind of characters my group wants to play, and when we can't find a through-line that points to a more thematically tight setting, we play in the Realms because we know we can find a place for all the characters and stories we want.

Darwinism posted:

To be fair, there's plenty of Eberron to just go nuts on and ignore the main focus of the Five Nations bit. Pretty much anything involving Xen'drik, for example.

Yeah, there are what, three?, other continents on Eberron that all have their own things going on. That said, each of them has a particular focus: psionics and the Dreaming Dark, dragons and more dragons, and dangerous jungle ruins.

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 2, 2014

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

potatocubed posted:

The Tome of Magic was cool. If only the mechanics they provided hadn't sucked.
I believe my gaming group legitimately spent a good 3 hours one night trying to figure out if becoming a Candle Caster had even one single advantage over remaining a Wizard indefinitely. I think we determined that as long as you did not care to keep gaining levels it could be cool to keep turning your future levels into more candles instead.

Mr. Maltose posted:

And as predicted the winning submission was the one that bent the setting design requirements to nearest their breaking point without actually breaking them.

No, I did not submit a campaign myself, that is not sour grapes. It was just so easy to see coming that it was hilarious when it happened. "No advanced technology." "NO, YOU SEE, THIS MAGIC IS MERELY SO ADVANCED AS TO BE MISTAKEN FOR TECHNOLOGY"

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 3, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Candle Caster was Complete Mage too, I think.

poo poo, did it even make it there or was it a TaB only joint?

EDIT:The best Tome and Blood class was of course the Mage Of The Arcane Order. Spend XP, get tenure.

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 2, 2014

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Halaster Blackcloak, the Mad Mage of Undermountain.

That guy had a crapload of clones and mad monsters and dungeons for the lulz. Agreed.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vanadium posted:

This owns, thanks for the post. If you're not sick of me yet:

How does Dragonlance compare to the Forgotten Realms, does anyone care about it these days?

Is everything in Faerun about equally statted up by now or is there a bunch of places where someone just went "eh, I'm gonna set my novels here but who cares about people wanting to play there"? How about places outside of Faerun? Is the idea, generally, that Faerun's civilizations/major political players have the setting completely figured out or is it mostly all unexplored, dangerous mysteries to people who don't own a copy of the campaign guide?

Is there more to the timeline than "and then all the published modules happened roughly in order, separated by timeskips between editions"? Are there any playable/statted up other time periods besides whatever The Forgotten Realm Book, Edition $X happens to describe mainly? Does the setting, ignoring between-edition resets, undergo any significant, overarching changes or is it just like a bunch of kingdoms or evil empires rising and falling independently when adventures pass by?

Does Ed Greenwood give a poo poo about other authors' contributions to the setting?

People sort of care about Dragonlance? It's nowhere near as big a property as the FR these days but there are fan communities out there and it's receiving at least lip service in the forthcoming 5e core rulebooks. Dragonlance is fairly different from the Forgotten Realms in that it was designed first and foremost to fuel a single epic storyline working on the standards of epic fantasy (the original Chronicles and its corresponding adventures); the campaign setting sort of just spread out from that. The Realms were designed as a living setting first for play, and only became prone to anything resembling epic fantasy as a result of large events handed down by editorial (which were promoted because they sold well - just think of them as the D&D equivalent of event comics for DC or Marvel where EVERYTHING CHANGES. That was basically the Avatar Crisis and everything since.)

There are a bunch of unexplored, undetailed places. Your example fits Hartsvale really well, which was given a little tiny bit of detail in the Giantcraft book and then expanded upon greatly by Troy Denning in a trilogy he did (the Twilight Giants trilogy.) Hartsvale has received little detail since (there was a paragraph on it in Silver Marches for 3e, and that's about it) so it's largely based in novels. Both novels and supplements have introduced new parts of the Realms, both of which get picked up on in various ways. RA Salvatore came up with the tiny area of Erlkazar for his Cleric Quintet series; it was then greatly expanded as an optional non-canonical area for play by Steven Schend in Lands of Intrigue; and that was boiled down into something canonical and moved forward in the 4e Campaign Guide. There was also another Erlkazar novel in 2e, and one in 3e. And it's so tiny it doesn't even exist on the 3e map of Faerun!

Most people in the world don't have the setting figured out, if that's what you mean. The Realms is too big for any one person - except for maybe Volothamp "Volo" Geddarm, travelling bard, writer, and general fuckup. Most people don't travel that far or know of everything. Even at the campaign setting level, there have always been places written as "this is unknown territory perilous to journey to and that people only know fables about." Sossal is a good example, a kingdom on the far side of the north of Faerun - merchants used to meet Sossrim midway at great peril, trading magics for exotic, seamless woodcrafts that sold for incredible prices back in the wealthier parts of Faerun. Of course. a merchant prince - Dabron Sashenstar - went at the wrong time and disappeared for ten years, reappearing with incredible tales. The Utter East - sort of south-east to Faerun - is much the same, or Anchorome to the west across the Trackless Sea. Even places that have entire supplements devoted to them - like the Endless Wastes, the giant steppe prairies to the east of Faerun - are incredibly dangerous and unexplored by Faerunians, only travelled by hardy merchants from far-off Kara-Tur. And this is just whole regions: there are places humans haven't been in Faerun itself, and plenty of room for exploration in pretty much any direction.

The playable, emphasized timeline begins with the first published campaign setting in 1357 DR, and extends until the end of 3e in 1374 DR. Then there's a gap, and it picks up again in 1479-1481 DR for 4e. That's said, there's plenty more to the timeline than that: so much so that there's an entire supplement, the Grand History of the Realms, which is just one giant timeline and supporting material. You can use that to track the rise and fall of nations, specific lineages and dynasties, or whatever you'd like. There was one attempt to provide an alternate setting to play in by time: the Arcane Age line, which was set in two of the more famous historical realms of Netheril and Cormanthyr. It wasn't great: it was for 2e, so the rules are really tortured, and the designer of the setting for Netheril was an infamously bad writer (he's responsible for all the crap about Elminster's space station we were going on about earlier, for example.) The Cormanthyr supplement was written by Steven Schend and is amazing; but it's not wonderfully playable so much as an excellent toolkit for games set in the Dalelands in the current-day Realms.

Kingdoms and whatever fall for reasons unrelated to adventurers or novels; a map of Faerun four hundred years ago looks significantly different from the map today. Most of the Realms' focus is on political and mercantile intrigue, so there's not much like and god smote the earth and suddenly the sky was red for fifty years stuff (except if it's between editions and the editors want to mix things up, like you said.) A good example are the Lands of Intrigue, which started to tear themselves apart in the end of 2nd Edition due to political pressures: Amn had overextended into its exploration of Maztica (basically spending too much time being conquistadors in not-Mexico), and Tethyr imploded in a civil war. Oh, and an incredibly charismatic group of monsters created a slave rebellion lead by an ogre mage. By the end of 3e, the ogre mage had his own realm named the Sothilisian Empire; by 4e, a part of Tethyr had split off due to geographic stresses and become its own city-state.

On the other side is the Dawn Cataclysm, which is one of the cooler things 4e did. The usual god of the sun in the Realms is named Lathander, and while many gods have histories and creation details, Lathander didn't. All the devs teased people with was a mysterious event called the Dawn Cataclysm shortly after the fall of Netheril, where the old sun god Amaunator disappeared, and Lathander appeared. In 4e, this played out: you see, the Dawn Cataclysm wasn't an actual change to the god. Instead, it was the natural progression of the sun: Lathander was the god of the sun at dawn, and Amaunator was the god of the sun at noon. During the time jump between 3rd and 4th editions, the celestial sun moved forward, and Lathander disappeared, replaced by Amaunator once more. In 5e, apparently it's happening again. It's a pretty cool idea, and it's nice that they took advantage of the time skip to update part of the cosmology in a believable, supported manner.

Ed Greenwood does respect other authors' contributions to the setting. It's a world he shares with everyone, and he knows and respects that. His own published Realms work never stands on anyone else's toes or disregards what other writers have written. Now, that isn't how he is personally - he speaks sometimes about how his own personal version of an area or an event differs, and his personal games run in "his" Realms instead of the published version (he's still running his games in 1e AD&D, actually.) But that's not what he does in terms of official contributions. The one book that doesn't follow this is Elminster's Forgotten Realms, which specifically noted as a selling point presenting Ed's Realms where it does not match the published Realms. There's not that much in there - it's actually a great book that spends more time talking about social sciences and how like people drink tea in Faerun instead of presenting alternate versions of things. It's an excellent supplement for anyone playing a game in the Realms ever.

Also in regard to your other post about Temptation of Elminster: That book isn't too difficult in terms of Realms knowledge required - it actually takes place sometime in the 1100s, I think? It's explicitly in the past and far away from other things. The problem is that it's actually the third book in a trilogy: you want to read Elminster: Making of a Mage and Elminster in Myth Drannor first. Neither of those take any other reading since they're set in the past; if you're familiar with fantasy standards like what a thieves' guild is, and you know that Mystra is the Goddess of Magic, you'll be fine.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vanadium posted:

That's a hard one!

Not that everyone's related to Elminster, just that there's a lot of good options. I'm going to go with something that's always caught my attention: the Gray Sorceress.

Here's the information on her, from Volo's Guide to All Things Magical:

"A persistent and widespread legend in the Sword Coast and the North on both sides of Anauroch is that mages who face peril alone are sometimes visited in their hour of greatest need by an unspeaking, ghostly image of a tall, graceful lady in robes. This apparition can heal injuries and restore cast and forgotten spells with her tingling touch. Supposedly, those who dare to gaze into her eyes see visions to guide them here and now, I have been unable to see this apparition myself or otherwise confirm these tales. Any reader who can is urged to contact me.9"

That 9 corresponds to a footnote from Elminster, which reads: "9 Elminster: This legend is also truth, but I am forbidden to tell ye who the lady is or the extent of her powers—save to say that she is neither Mystra nor the Magister."

That's the sort of thing that works as a plot hook in the Realms (and is explicitly presented as one among many.) It's an intriguing mystery, specifically laid out there for the DM to do what they'd like with, and there is no more detail on it besides conflicting rumours and uncertain ideas. Just like many plot hooks over the years, really.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Quarex posted:

It was just so easy to see coming that it was hilarious when it happened. "No advanced technology." "NO, YOU SEE, THIS MAGIC IS MERELY SO ADVANCED AS TO BE MISTAKEN FOR TECHNOLOGY"

Which is funny, because that's what a world with magic would be like. It was so refreshing to see a setting where people realized that you could use magic for something besides blowing up orcs.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

PeterWeller posted:

Come on, man. I just said that my first set of examples all came from the main campaign guides. And my second set came from widely popular and available supplements and novels. I specifically avoided pulling from region guides and less popular book series.

And fair enough. It sounded like you were trying to start a setting fight. I really like Eberron myself, and you're right that it's a lot thematically tighter than FR. But I don't see that as a qualitative difference, just a stylistic one. I don't see the Realms' breadth as a weakness. To me, it's a strength because it means I can run a very broad-based campaign that caters to a lot of different tastes and allows the group to explore many different themes over its course. With Eberron (or Dark Sun or Ravenloft or many others), I can run a more focused campaign, but I'll have to put a lot of ideas and inspirations on the back-burner because they won't fit, while I'll easily find a place for them in a Realms campaign. I've run every setting mentioned, and the choice has come down to what kind of stories my group wants to tell or what kind of characters my group wants to play, and when we can't find a through-line that points to a more thematically tight setting, we play in the Realms because we know we can find a place for all the characters and stories we want.

I don't mean to misrepresent you, I just feel that FR is really lackluster from the stock campaign guides alone, and that is what most people are gonna be playing. It gets more interesting with more of the lore, and I recently played through the 4E Neverwinter setting and it was great.

edit: I include Arivia in this, I don't mean to try to put words in either of your mouths, so to speak. The setting does expand hugely outside of the campaign settings, I've read all of the 2E-era books and a good few outside of that (including all of the Elminster ones, I really didn't care for Elminster's Daughter though) but I also play primarily with a group whose eyes just glaze over when I try to start explaining the expanded Realms lore so I guess I'm trying to argue from where they're coming from.

Darwinism fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 2, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Arivia posted:

That's a hard one!

Not that everyone's related to Elminster, just that there's a lot of good options. I'm going to go with something that's always caught my attention: the Gray Sorceress.

Here's the information on her, from Volo's Guide to All Things Magical:

"A persistent and widespread legend in the Sword Coast and the North on both sides of Anauroch is that mages who face peril alone are sometimes visited in their hour of greatest need by an unspeaking, ghostly image of a tall, graceful lady in robes. This apparition can heal injuries and restore cast and forgotten spells with her tingling touch. Supposedly, those who dare to gaze into her eyes see visions to guide them here and now, I have been unable to see this apparition myself or otherwise confirm these tales. Any reader who can is urged to contact me.9"

That 9 corresponds to a footnote from Elminster, which reads: "9 Elminster: This legend is also truth, but I am forbidden to tell ye who the lady is or the extent of her powers—save to say that she is neither Mystra nor the Magister."

That's the sort of thing that works as a plot hook in the Realms (and is explicitly presented as one among many.) It's an intriguing mystery, specifically laid out there for the DM to do what they'd like with, and there is no more detail on it besides conflicting rumours and uncertain ideas. Just like many plot hooks over the years, really.

I do like that your choice for coolest wizard with no connection to Elminster specifically has a footnote from Elminster saying "I totally know who this is but I pinky-swore not to say."

Concept is cool as hell, though.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

I do like that your choice for coolest wizard with no connection to Elminster specifically has a footnote from Elminster saying "I totally know who this is but I pinky-swore not to say."

Concept is cool as hell, though.

The thing is that Elminster was literally created as an unreliable narrator for the Realms. The best Realms stuff has always been written with unreliable narrators, and Elminster is just the most usual. It doesn't mean she's connected to him, it doesn't mean anything besides it's a book TSR printed at some point.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

PeterWeller posted:

No it was dumb whether you want to call it a rule or a guideline. They decided to limit the number of releases. I don't know where you got the idea I don't care about other settings or wanted them to get cut for more FR stuff. I wanted more Eberron and DS material too. They could release multiple books for multiple settings if they wanted to. They did so with Eberron and FR during the 3E years.
They published the number of books they published. You're just saying 'why didn't they make way more books'.

Well, because it would cost them way more money at the a time when even mainstream print is faltering. As it is, the schedule for 4e was pretty intense, especially since the books clearly took more work(at least some of them). They also did other excellent products, such as the Monster Vaults, which are the best monster books ever made. All that takes time, and money.

You're saying they were better off publishing more FR, than what, Madness at Gardmore Abbey? Heroes of the Feywild? Because that is what you're saying.

quote:

And stop this "Neverwinter is not really FR" bullshit. I get it: cognitive dissonance. How can Neverwinter be so great if FR is so crap? But the logo is right there on the book, and everything in that book is rooted in Realms lore. Yeah, you can pick it up and plop it in another setting. That doesn't stop it from being absolutely stuffed with Realms tropes.
Yeeh i'm a hater or whatever, who could possibly not want more FR over more Dark Sun or something. I must hate FR with a burning passion ect, ect.

Anyway, Neverwinter is a really good city book and much more self enclosed than say, 2e's Waterdeep for instance. It was clearly meant to be easy to insert. They repeatedly described it as such, stated it as a key goal, and it clearly plays that role.

Arivia posted:

Sure you can magically produce more material: that's what hiring people to make more products is! And until 4e there was an excellent brand team for the FR that would be happy to release more products - as they did in the later parts of 4e with Menzoberranzan and so on. They had plenty of release options: they just didn't use them.
They did use them. You just said they used them. But what they didn't do, is just make more and more of the book you like because you like it. They choose to take a pass at multiple settings, instead, and 4e is far better for it. Both the later FR books are clearly self enclosed settings. This worked well.

quote:

And no, the idea isn't to make people mix up the settings - part of the reason the FR goes first always is that it has by far the largest fan-base and the largest appetite for an update. There was an untapped market there WotC ignored for much of 4e, and it does the setting a disservice to not give it the details it needs to breathe: the same details they had been happily selling for 20 years at that point. Like the rest of the treatment of the 4e Realms, it was a reactionary decision planned out by people who didn't actually like the setting but wanted to subvert it to appeal to a grognard-quality opinion among the D&D fanbase.
They haven't been happily selling for twenty years, for one thing, for a large part for part of that 20 years TSR was a complete disaster from a financial point of view. As in 'nobody was even reading the ledgers' disaster.

Look I know some FR fans think 4e did some terrible dis-service, but you're arguing once again, that they can jut make more and more and more FR books. They had a fininte print run, and they spent it on other settings as well.

quote:

And no, Neverwinter wasn't a self-contrained campaign setting. Much of what's necessary to run a game in a given setting isn't repeated from the Forgotten Realms Campaign or Player's Guide; there's clear ties to other aspects and ongoing plotlines in the setting, with a lot of small details to actually make it fit the Realms in general.
Nothing fits the Realms. That's just a thing you say because a book has the right trademark on it. The Realms is a kitchen sink setting, that's part of why it's so popular, because people can hack it to pieces and nobody's asking why the Warlock Knights have all this magical iron when everyone else is using Chitin and ceramic coins.

As for needing the FR book, well, unless you're on DDI you need the FR book to make a Swordmage in any setting. That's the idea. A small number of books that are useful to anyone. What realms-specific stuff in the 4e FR books, was needed to run 4e Neverwinter?

quote:

It also contains a lot of ties to other parts of the Realms geographically, encouraging groups to move into the larger setting beyond heroic play. Its strongest elements are actually when it builds on other Realmslore, and its weakest parts are when it includes badly-tacked-on 4e additions or ideas that don't fit the context of Neverwinter and the Savage Frontier in general. There's a really, really good example but I'm not going to get into it since it's a major spoiler and I have players in my Neverwinter pbp reading this thread.
And yet in other posts on this page, you're saying it's good to chop and change the realms. Which is it?

Frankly there's nothing strong about a feature you need Realm Trivia to use. What's strong in the product is that it works well wherever you land it.

Now speaking of plot twists, here's one for you. The fact that we're now arguing for opposite positions about what is good in the book, means that we both got value from the book despite being after very different things. That shows how well this approach worked. Now you wanted WOTC to abandon people like me, and pander solely to people like you. Well congrats, because they're doing that now as of 5e. But in 4e, they were doing something better.

quote:

But! I can give a page reference, thinking about it. Compare Neverwinter Campaign Setting 104-109, especially page 107-108, with Lords of Darkness (3e) pages 108-116, especially page 111.
I don't have any 3e books left. I burnt them in a huge pyre while sobbing about the Injustices of the Tyrant Monte Cook.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Jesting aside, I find the idea that you can do whatever in the Realms go hog wild it said so back in the very first campaign set at odds with the idea that 4 books are not enough 4th Edition Did The Realms Wrong.
Yeah this isn't making any sense. Either the Realms can be chopped and changed easily and used however, OR it desperately needed better and more voluminous curation than 4e gave it. It can't work both ways.

Same goes for the claim that Neverwinter is at it's weakest when it's not plugging into existing Realmslore, put besuide the claim that Realmslore is flexible, accomodating, and easy to work with.

A Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 3, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Arivia posted:

The thing is that Elminster was literally created as an unreliable narrator for the Realms. The best Realms stuff has always been written with unreliable narrators, and Elminster is just the most usual. It doesn't mean she's connected to him, it doesn't mean anything besides it's a book TSR printed at some point.

Elminster in the Volo articles always came off as a dude who, instead of having an uncle who worked for Faeruntendo, was the swinging bachelor uncle who worked for Faeruntendo. Which is a great niche for him, I think.

Wasn't trying to disqualify your example or anything, just noting one of the quirks of the setting.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

A Catastrophe posted:

You're saying they were better off publishing more FR, than what, Madness at Gardmore Abbey? Heroes of the Feywild? Because that is what you're saying.
Yeeh i'm a hater or whatever, who could possibly not want more FR over more Dark Sun or something. I must hate FR with a burning passion ect, ect.

They could have replaced every single 4e adventure ever published and replaced them with VOLO'S GUIDE TO HAIRCUTS OF THE GREAT RIFT and nothing of value would have been lost.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Pages 210-223 of the Neverwinter Campaign Setting are not self-contained or easy to fit into another setting. They're world-spanning and as dependent on the Realms as anything ever.

Also I'm emptyquoting this because it's true:

Mormon Star Wars posted:

They could have replaced every single 4e adventure ever published and replaced them with VOLO'S GUIDE TO HAIRCUTS OF THE GREAT RIFT and nothing of value would have been lost.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

PeterWeller posted:

psionics and the Dreaming Dark

Those are legit the coolest poo poo going on in Eberron, and I will forever miss the game I was in that centered around it and the inevitable implosion of the group.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Also I am going to RUIN Eberron for each of you:

Storygaming caused the Mournlands. Thanks, Eladrin!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Arivia posted:

Pages 210-223 of the Neverwinter Campaign Setting are not self-contained or easy to fit into another setting. They're world-spanning and as dependent on the Realms as anything ever.

For the benefit of those of us lacking the book, what is that. Because 13 pages of content doesn't seem that difficult to deal with without more information.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

For the benefit of those of us lacking the book, what is that. Because 13 pages of content doesn't seem that difficult to deal with without more information.

I'm being vague because I have players in my Neverwinter PBP reading the thread and I'd rather not spoil it for them.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Do you not trust them with spoiler tags?

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Also I am going to RUIN Eberron for each of you:

Storygaming caused the Mournlands. Thanks, Eladrin!

The Lord of Blades KNEW! Nevar forget.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Slimnoid posted:

Those are legit the coolest poo poo going on in Eberron, and I will forever miss the game I was in that centered around it and the inevitable implosion of the group.

the only time I ever played Eberron was as a 'kalashtar' psiblade, a outcast quori from Dal Quor who possessed some drug-addled human bum in Sharn. His motivation was to get personal vengeance on the the rulers of Dal Quor; that group only played one full adventure, but we managed to pin a whole big breaking and entering heist on the Dreaming Dark before the end.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Arivia posted:

I'm being vague because I have players in my Neverwinter PBP reading the thread and I'd rather not spoil it for them.

I purposefully avoided spoilers when I was playing despite having easy access to the book, so just tag that poo poo! If they're gonna spoil it they've probably already done it, if they're not, spoiler tags are good enough.

edit: One thing I didn't share with my group because it would've devalued one of the baddies

LICHTITS V2.0 NOW WITH LESS TABLE BREAKING, try to take Valindra seriously now

edit: VVV poo poo

Darwinism fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 3, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Breaking tables with that spoiler, man. timg that.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Darwinism posted:

I don't mean to misrepresent you, I just feel that FR is really lackluster from the stock campaign guides alone, and that is what most people are gonna be playing. It gets more interesting with more of the lore, and I recently played through the 4E Neverwinter setting and it was great.

edit: I include Arivia in this, I don't mean to try to put words in either of your mouths, so to speak. The setting does expand hugely outside of the campaign settings, I've read all of the 2E-era books and a good few outside of that (including all of the Elminster ones, I really didn't care for Elminster's Daughter though) but I also play primarily with a group whose eyes just glaze over when I try to start explaining the expanded Realms lore so I guess I'm trying to argue from where they're coming from.

Right on, man. And sorry for misunderstanding you earlier. :) We'll just have to agree to disagree. Whenever I look through one of the main campaign guides, my eyes just gloss over with the possibilities.

A Catastrophe posted:

They published the number of books they published. You're just saying 'why didn't they make way more books'.

Well, because it would cost them way more money at the a time when even mainstream print is faltering. As it is, the schedule for 4e was pretty intense, especially since the books clearly took more work(at least some of them). They also did other excellent products, such as the Monster Vaults, which are the best monster books ever made. All that takes time, and money.

Anyway, Neverwinter is a really good city book and much more self enclosed than say, 2e's Waterdeep for instance. It was clearly meant to be easy to insert. They repeatedly described it as such, stated it as a key goal, and it clearly plays that role.

I'm saying they were better off publishing more FR, more Eberron, and more Dark Sun than more boring power splats that were rendered obsolete by DDI.

E: And you're misrepresenting Arivia's and my arguments regarding Neverwinter. The most interesting antagonists and plots in Neverwinter are those that build off ongoing FR antagonists and plots. That doesn't mean they can't be pulled from the broader and placed in another, but it does mean that they are highly informed by the broader setting and lead out from the Neverwinter campaign into it, especially that part Arivia alludes to.

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 3, 2014

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Setting chat is awesome and needs it's own thread.

Selfishly, is there a generic con thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I stand loving corrected, at least as far as the earlier modules go.
But some of the Later adventures such as Gardmore Abbey were pretty tight, yo.

• Locked thread