Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

elf help book posted:

In single player, once you get into the game, you can pause and there's a switch controllers button that lets you use wiimote or pro controller.

I think they were talking about how you can't use the gamepad to play coop with someone. You need two wiimotes or pro controllers to do two player. The only multiplayer with the gamepad is one person playing and the other "boosting" blocks in or whatever. It's loving weird and disappointing, unless I am just an idiot and couldn't figure out how to make it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
I finally started playing Pikmin 3. I've only been playing it recently and I think I've been playing about 5 hours a day. I rarely do that for any video game anymore. I just feel compelled to play it. Anyway, Pikmin 3 is really great but I'm sure 98% of you already know that.

It is a good feeling to be playing a game and have that "Man I want to just keep playing!" feeling. I don't get that feeling very often anymore; it is a good time :)

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Man I'm loving Wonderful 101 but this second Vorken fight is just stupidly unfair.

E: do I just suck? The only times I've died this entire game were on the first fight, and now this one.

E2: So he just doesn't telegraph his claw move at all that can break my block anyways and immediately incapacitate my entire group, okay then.

Austrian mook fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Aug 3, 2014

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Should I go ahead and import Taiko?

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Yeah mane

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Good enough for me.

Umlaut
Jan 15, 2009
You can rather easily fake something like this. Until you see a video of an exploit in action, just assume it's bogus.

Also: "New's" :lol:

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
What I don't understand is if "New's" is leet then why fail to use it a second time at the bottom of the image?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Somewhat helpful statement as to the Treasure Tracker delay in Europe.

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/08/nintendo-on-captain-toad-europe-delay/

quote:

A few days ago we told you that Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker would be delayed in Europe only, while the rest of the world would see the game release in Q4 2014. GoNintendo reached out to Nintendo and received a statement as to why the game was delayed only for Europe.

To make the best launch timing possible in Europe, it is now confirmed that Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is delayed in Europe until January 2015.

Remember that Nintendo of Europe is under-going several aspects of restructure, with several people being laid off after the company closed its office in Großostheim and moved all operations to Frankfurt. Nintendo has been actively restructuring its business strategy in Europe after several major retailers have been stocking minimal Nintendo products after tepid performance of the Wii U.

The delay of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker in Europe means there will be more breathing room for consumers this holiday season and the game has a better chance of being noticed if it is released in January or February versus October or November while going up against a huge title like Super Smash Bros., as well as the holiday rush of games from other publishers.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Huh. I wanted a hand-held long ago.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Umlaut posted:

You can rather easily fake something like this. Until you see a video of an exploit in action, just assume it's bogus.

Also: "New's" :lol:

I was already planning on importing Taiko for collection purposes (I own all the other games) but now I want to force myself to believe that I'll be able to unbox it and play it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

So a friend of mine got the Wii U. I was very negative on the whole thing initially but after playing it over a couple of weeks I really warmed up to it, although there are still issues.

Mario 3D World is actually a really fun game. Level by level not as good as Galaxy, but the multiplayer makes up for it. Trying to figure out how to get all the stars on some of the bonus levels is probably not intended for 3-4 people at once but dammit we made it happen.

Mario Kart 8 is neat but, and this is gonna sound crazy to most people, all of us preferred Sonic Racing All Stars (PC version). Sonic racing is a great game and the PC version is amazing. Personally I thought the racing in sonic felt better (except for the boats), but then there's the fact that the single player missions were really fun and varied on top of having a straight Grand Prix mode if you wanted that. If I got a Wii U myself I would probably skip this.

New Super Mario Bros Wii U: Bleh. I've played way too many of the New games for this to interest me and there's 3D world for multiplayer mario.

I do not like the tablet at all. The fact that I was able to play these games with the Pro controller probably helped, but the guy playing with a Tablet frequently had hand pain by the end. It doesn't feel well implemented either... why do I want offscreen play if I am playing local multiplayer on a TV with a bunch of friends? Also offscreen play looks terrible anyway. Can you turn on the system and play games without it? It always bugged me on the Wii how I had to turn on the wiimote to open smash bros even though we would use GC controllers for it.

The interface is kinda dumb but the Miiverse thing is cooler than I expected. It was really depressing seeing a Mii say "this game is really fun but mom and dad keep fighting". I like the little messages to occupy loading times, it's like a happier Dark Souls.

Personally I would like to see how Smash and Bayonetta turn out but I'm sort of interested in a Wii U now. It's just if past Nintendo consoles are any indication once I buy one games will stop coming out for it. I could always wait for Wii U2 and its backwards compatibility I guess :v:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
You had some misinformation in your post I had to correct. The tablet is actually great and the offscreen play is great :colbert:

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

"this game is really fun but there is war in the middle east" - princess01

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

the tablet is super comfortable so idk how you got hand cramps unless you get hand cramps from all controllers but either way welcome to the wii u brotherhood friend

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I find the Pro controller more uncomfortable than the tablet.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It's just if past Nintendo consoles are any indication once I buy one games will stop coming out for it.
How late are you buying in exactly? The Wii had years of service before its year or so of silence followed by death and as far as I remember Twilight Princess was the last GCN title and that released after the Wii did.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

When Club Nintendo says something is available "until August 3," do they mean it's available the rest of the day? Or do they flip over to new VC rewards today? I can never remember. :(

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It means you'll have an extra week to claim them because they're hopeless about sticking to their own announced schedule.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
They'll switch to the new rewards sometime this week usually. Sometimes they do it on time, but usually it takes a day or two after their own deadline.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
This is a really basic question but I can't seem to find a straight answer so apologies for something I should have been able to find myself.

I have a wii with 4 of basic controllers and the original "classic" controller that came at release. These are the <original> controllers; I haven't used my Wii since the motion plus accessory came out so they're the very basic controllers that came out of the box (with two nunchuck remotes)

I just ordered a Wii U which should arrive later this week. My question is, will my original wii controllers work with it? All answers I can find point to yes but when I dig a little deeper, all answers make reference to a "wii plus" remote but use that interchangeably with "wii remote". Is the wii plus remote the same as the original wii remote or does the wii plus remote have the motion plus attachment and do I need to purchase 4 of them to upgrade my wii controllers so they'll work on the WiiU? Or do I need to buy completely new wii controllers?

Will the Wii U still use my original wii controllers if I use to it play games that don't use the motion plus feature? I dug out my old copy of xenoblade chronicles and I'm pretty keen to play through it again but all I have are the basic wii controllers. I could order some "plus" attachments now if they'll work but when I visit ebay I see a lot of "plus" controllers that I presume have the motion plus pre-installed in the wii controller (without needing to buy the little bulky attachment that attaches to the bottom).

Thanks for the help! All the advise I can find online seem not to make a distinction between the wii remote with the wii plus attachment and just a basic wii remote.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
One bad thing about the tablet is that the rumble is loving terrible. It's not very strong but still rattles the casing so this loud "FZZZZZ" sound can be heard over the game audio every time it shakes.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

romanowski posted:

the tablet is super comfortable so idk how you got hand cramps unless you get hand cramps from all controllers but either way welcome to the wii u brotherhood friend

Tiny baby hands probably

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Well I actually bought a Wii along with Smash, Metroid Prime 3, and Galaxy so pretty early. I just never found anything nearly as good as Smash and Galaxy once I bought it :v: On the other hand the DS release schedule just got better and better as it went along, and the 3DS seems to be following suit. Near the end of my Wii playing days I had a really big issue with it being not HD too.

I actually never used the tablet, the hand cramping complaint was from 2 separate guys over multiple play sessions. The pro controller is good and I would probably use it to play smash even over a GC controller. I do have like 4 wavebirds sitting around though, if they can be used for more than just smash the adapter is probably worth it.

Personally I like the concept of offscreen play, if I was to get the system myself and hide the shame of Bayonetta 2 from my wife. I didn't like how the system forced us to use the tablet when all of us would have preferred the pro controller though, even if 3D world actually has parts that need the tablet to proceed. In that specific case (4 guys playing on a TV), the fact that you can't opt out of offscreen play is sort of dumb. Also it does not look very good!

ALSO, I really don't like that I need like, the tablet, a Wiimote, a sensor bar, and a pro controller all hooked up to play a mario game with a pro controller? Am I wrong about needing the wiimote and sensor bar hooked up?

I still don't know if I would get one but it's definitely looking better than it was a year ago for me.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Tiny baby hands probably
My hands are huge and I can never find shoes that fit me. Also I didn't actually use the tablet myself

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Serrath posted:

I just ordered a Wii U which should arrive later this week. My question is, will my original wii controllers work with it?
Yes. You don't need a plus unless a game specifically calls for it.

New wiimotes have the Motionplus built in, and you can upgrade old ones with the dongle. Some Nintendoland games require Motionplus (the Zelda one comes to mind) but if you don't play those games then you don't need them.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I actually never used the tablet, the hand cramping complaint was from 2 separate guys over multiple play sessions. The pro controller is good and I would probably use it to play smash even over a GC controller. I do have like 4 wavebirds sitting around though, if they can be used for more than just smash the adapter is probably worth it.

ALSO, I really don't like that I need like, the tablet, a Wiimote, a sensor bar, and a pro controller all hooked up to play a mario game with a pro controller? Am I wrong about needing the wiimote and sensor bar hooked up?

My hands are huge and I can never find shoes that fit me. Also I didn't actually use the tablet myself
So you don't like the tablet but you never actually used it

Also a Wii U Pro Controller is different from the Wii Pro Controller which required the wiimote.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

One bad thing about the tablet is that the rumble is loving terrible. It's not very strong but still rattles the casing so this loud "FZZZZZ" sound can be heard over the game audio every time it shakes.

I just turned the rumble off, it hurts the battery life and the tablet is too large for it to actually be felt. I don't really have issues using the gamepad as a controller, and I have tiny baby hands. I do get cramps or tired holding it vertically for Game and Wario or Nintendo land.

You shouldn't need a sensor bar and Wiimote unless you're actually using the Wiimote and it's IR pointer function. For playing NSMBU or Mario 3D world you should just be fine using the wiimote plain, and the Pro controller is a totally dedicated controller all on it's own.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 3, 2014

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Serrath posted:

This is a really basic question but I can't seem to find a straight answer so apologies for something I should have been able to find myself.

snip

Xenoblade Chronicles will work fine with vanilla Wii remotes, even if you play it on the Wii U. Wii games on the Wii U run through a special mode which basically turns it into a Wii. Everything works as normal from there.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Wouldn't it have been possible for Nintendo to upscale the games to some degree through vWii? I'm just really angry that everything looks so lovely and it don't needa. It don't needa.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Quest For Glory II posted:

So you don't like the tablet but you never actually used it

Also a Wii U Pro Controller is different from the Wii Pro Controller which required the wiimote.

There is no Wii Pro Controller. That is the Classic Controller Pro.

The Pro Controller is for the WiiU and owns, everyone should buy one.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

It is getting upscaled a little, since the Wii U scales all of it's output to whatever resolution you picked, but changing the internal rendering resolution is a messy hack that can break a lot of games. For maximum compatibility, they basically included an entire physical Wii inside the Wii U and just use that.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Casnorf posted:

Yes. You don't need a plus unless a game specifically calls for it.

New wiimotes have the Motionplus built in, and you can upgrade old ones with the dongle. Some Nintendoland games require Motionplus (the Zelda one comes to mind) but if you don't play those games then you don't need them.

Perfect, thanks!

quote:

Xenoblade Chronicles will work fine with vanilla Wii remotes, even if you play it on the Wii U. Wii games on the Wii U run through a special mode which basically turns it into a Wii. Everything works as normal from there.

You too, thanks. It's weird getting a new console and most looking forward to replaying a game from the last generation of consoles... it was such a great game...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Serrath posted:

It differs from game to game, basically. Some will require MotionPlus, some will work fine with just the standard Wiimote. It seems like the number of games that use and/ore require it is slowly increasing, but it's still quite low - Nintendo Land requires it for some games, Wii Sports Club requires it, I think the Mario & Sonic game requires it, but in most other cases it's optional.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I'm not sure if Wii games get upscaled or enhanced or whatever when playing in Wii mode in HD, but Metroid Prime Trilogy still looks great. :shrug:

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

whatever you do don't just buy dongles for your old remotes cause they're poo poo and they break all the time

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Serrath posted:

Everybody else has covered most of the info, but I'm gonna add some advice in the event you decide you want to upgrade to Wii Remote Plus controllers: the standard non-plus Wii Remotes are pretty much worthless in regards to selling them off since there are so many of them out in the wild and people want the Plus. Depending on your love of Wii light gun-style games, you can use your extra Wii Remotes on Wii Zapper shells and pretend they're dedicated light guns. Of course this also assumes you have extra nunchuck accessories as well but you can find those cheap enough I guess.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Nolgthorn posted:

That game is great but the controls are bizarre.

Monster Hunter takes the cake for that, you can load it up and play off the gamepad straight away; but you can't customise the HUD without being in TV mode.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Whatever you do, don't get impulsive and buy your wiimote plus at a retail store.. it came to $57 with the nunchuck

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

ethanol posted:

Whatever you do, don't get impulsive and buy your wiimote plus at a retail store.. it came to $57 with the nunchuck

Refurbished Wiimote plus with nunchuck is $25 on store.nintendo.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Uggghhhh... I want the new rewards to go up. This month's sucked and I have 1300 club points burning a hole in my pocket.

• Locked thread