Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

Ollu posted:

In my youth, I had a strange conversation with a neo-confederate relative in which he explained to me that I shouldn't use the word "cowboy" because that's what the black ranch-hands were called, but rather I should use the word "cattleman" as that was the term reserved for white folk.

I have no idea if this has any basis in fact.

Cattlemen are what you call the farm owners so that makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Rorus Raz posted:

Michael Savage went off on a tizzy about how the illegal kids are being kept in "camps" that are really luxury hotels with flat screen TVs, a pool, flat screen TVs, beds, and flat screen TVs (he REALLY wanted to drive that point home). Apparently some company is making MAD MONEY off the government by providing these facilities and...I guess I'm supposed to be outraged that government contracts are going towards helping brown kids instead of murdering them for once?

I dunno, it got into really tinfoil hat territory before it grew dull.

Alex Jones was running the same line, and was equally fixated on flat screens.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Ray and Shirley posted:

They think it's still the most extravagant cutting edge technology you can own. That's not bad - they're only like 5 years behind the times.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Anosmoman posted:

They think it's still the most extravagant cutting edge technology you can own. That's not bad - they're only like 5 years behind the times.

Yeah, now we're moving back to curved glass. :v:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Branis posted:

Cattlemen are what you call the farm owners so that makes sense
Yeah, there are Cattlemen Clubs and Cattlemen formal dinners and all that. The Cattleman is the guy in the big house with the nice suit who owns the herd, the cowboys are the ones in denim jeans and bandanas out there working them.

Anosmoman posted:

Way back in the 1980s and 1990s, a typical rant about how cushy prisoners had it would inevitably include mentions of how they sit around watching color TV all day (unlike you, the hardworking stiff who pays for it). The fact that they stopped producing black and white TVs years and years ago did nothing to change that rant. This is just an updated version of that.

See also: poor people now have cell phones so they're not really poor. It's aimed at old people whose ideas about technology were frozen in place long ago (color TV was an extravagance, cell phones are expensive and only businessmen can afford them, etc.)

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Anosmoman posted:

Any excuse to whine that poor people aren't poor.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
There are still conservatives out there who give the "color tv" line to this day.

StdNormDist
May 2, 2010
Not to turn this into a derail, but you'd be surprised how many people have old CRTs. Flat screens are ubiquitous and if you're getting a new TV it's a flat screen, but that's the outrage, that these undeserving wretches are getting NEW tvs instead of the poverty-level second-hand CRTs we deign to give them. That's why "color tv" was the go-to a couple of decades ago, because then they might be new instead of a lovely b&w set you could get at goodwill.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

MaxxBot posted:

What the gently caress does "nerd" and "hipster" even mean in this context? Half of the people on this list probably couldn't even tell you what a differential equation is, it's just a list of prominent liberal pundits. What do you even call someone who's good with science, math, and computers now days?

I think it's a good comparison actually. The hipster hate is a pretty good analog for the conservative "volvo driving latte sipping liberal" trope. Validity aside, it's useful to see how those cultural traits are seen from the other side.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

Yeah, now we're moving back to curved glass. :v:

But now it is concave, not convex :spergin:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Ron Jeremy posted:

I think it's a good comparison actually. The hipster hate is a pretty good analog for the conservative "volvo driving latte sipping liberal" trope. Validity aside, it's useful to see how those cultural traits are seen from the other side.
"Hipster" in this context basically means "young person who dresses in a way we don't approve of." Ha ha ha, stupid young person!

It's being mad that your cultural and fashion tastes are no longer universal, and that you're growing older and being replaced by a new cohort of young people who dare to act and dress and live differently than you. Hating the youngs, same as middle-aged people in the 1960s made fun of long hair and rock music.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Ray and Shirley posted:

I'll bet they even have refrigerators!

Mo0 posted:

Any excuse to whine that poor people aren't poor.

Dammit, shoulda expected this.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I have great hopes of a tiny virus giving us a veritable :ironicat: goldmine. Take Trump, for example:

Babby Formed
Jan 2, 2009

StdNormDist posted:

Not to turn this into a derail, but you'd be surprised how many people have old CRTs. Flat screens are ubiquitous and if you're getting a new TV it's a flat screen, but that's the outrage, that these undeserving wretches are getting NEW tvs instead of the poverty-level second-hand CRTs we deign to give them. That's why "color tv" was the go-to a couple of decades ago, because then they might be new instead of a lovely b&w set you could get at goodwill.

Of course even this doesn't really work out because if you're a little patient it isn't that hard to find a lcd at goodwill these days.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Anytime Donald Trump comes up this needs to be posted

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

StdNormDist posted:

I wouldn't be, it's under 30% these days, with a sharp dropoff since 5 years ago. Many of the remaining CRTs in use are secondary or even tertiary TVs for a household too, with the primary TV being a modern one.

Babby Formed posted:

Of course even this doesn't really work out because if you're a little patient it isn't that hard to find a lcd at goodwill these days.

Many Goodwills refuse to take CRT TVs anymore, since they already have way too many and no one will buy them.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Nintendo Kid posted:

Many Goodwills refuse to take CRT TVs anymore, since they already have way too many and no one will buy them.

Goodwill needs to make a deal with the speedrunning community, they'd love those TVs.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Babby Formed posted:

Might depend on where you live, because some states have started cracking down on dumping CRTs, using fines or allowing municipal garbage services to tack on extra fees for taking them. It's a pain to properly dispose of that much that much leaded glass. All the Goodwills I've been to over the past few years have tons of LCD TVs and monitors and a few plasmas and DLPs, because they refuse to take CRTs at all any more.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Nenonen posted:

I have great hopes of a tiny virus giving us a veritable :ironicat: goldmine. Take Trump, for example:

I just came here to post that. When I heard about what he said I thought the person who told me was using "suffer the consequences" as hyperbole. Nope, Trump is just THAT MUCH of an rear end in a top hat.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sir Tonk posted:

Goodwill needs to make a deal with the speedrunning community, they'd love those TVs.

No, the speedrunning community doesn't want deteriorated low-end CRTs for anything. The CRTs that are any good already get bought up, but noone wants granny's wood console set from 1981 with a fiddly tint knob.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Sunday Talk Show Roundup

FoxNews Sunday :foxnews:

Guests: Sen Marco Rubio talks immigration. Rep Steve King and Rep Hakeem Jeffries talk about Congress (why is King still allowed on TV?). Dr. Tom Friedan on ebola

Panel: Kimberley Strassel (WSJ), Ron Fournier (National Journal), Michael Needham (Heritage), and Juan Williams (liberal?)

George Will is probably out on a bow-tie purchasing excursion.

Meet The Press

Guests: Dr. Tom Frieden and Dr. Toby Cosgrove discuss our coming zombie ebola apocalypse. Riyad Mansour and Amb. Ron Dermer talk about I/P. Sen. John Thune and Sen. Menendez talk about the lovely Congress.

Panel: Rep. Keith Ellison, Mike Murphy, Kristen Soltis Anderson, Carolyn Ryan

Face The Nation

Guests: Dr. Tom Frieden on ebola. Sen. Saxby Chambliss explains why we shouldn't talk about torture and how he successfully tied a triple amputee veteran to Bin Laden so he could become a Senator! (just kidding, that second part didn't actually happen). United Nations official Pierre Krahenbuhl talks I/P. CBS News Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Jon LaPook on ebola (again).

Panel: David Ignatius, Michael Morell, and CBS News' Margaret Brennan.

This Week with George

Guests: Dr. Tom Frieden on ebola. Dan Pfeiffer and Sen. Tim Scott talk about Congress as well. A talk with Sen Tim Scott about being a black Republican (he's so optimistic :allears:). Vin Scully on his 65 seasons casting for the Dodgers.

Panel: Rep. Joaquin Castro :swoon:, Michael Needham :eng101:, Greta Van Susteren :eng99:, and Bill "check out my smile" Kristol :suicide:

This Week had SE Cupp last week, for some reason (with no leg shots, I'm not sure why she was there), and now they've got Van Sustren and Bill "I'm Wrong" Kristol at the same time. I thought this panel was going to suck, as the ones with Kristol usually do, but it got good with Van Sustren and Kristol tried to out-conservative eachother and Needham accused Kristol of supporting torture.

Also, Dr. Frieden is the head of the CDC, if anyone was wondering why he was on every show this morning.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 3, 2014

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Watching flat-screen color TV and eating cooked food that has been frozen: Lazy.

Watching black and white TV and eating food straight out of cans: Motivating.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Nintendo Kid posted:

No, the speedrunning community doesn't want deteriorated low-end CRTs for anything. The CRTs that are any good already get bought up, but noone wants granny's wood console set from 1981 with a fiddly tint knob.

Well yeah, they don't want lovely low level consumer TVs, but Goodwill could easily enough send out a list of models to look out for that SDA could post online or something, but that would probably be more work than they'd be interested in doing.

And those old wood box TVs were awesome, even if the knobs don't do anything anymore :colbert:

Internet Webguy posted:

Watching flat-screen color TV and eating cooked food that has been frozen: Lazy.

Watching black and white TV and eating food straight out of cans: Motivating.

What if you were planning on kicking the can in the nearest alley for an hour after eating?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Standard definition can be a powerful motivator.

StdNormDist
May 2, 2010
My point is, it's not about the fact that flat screens are common and cheap and if you have to buy in bulk it makes sense to get them. It's about status, and the reason that these people mention "flat-screen" is because the alternative is lower status and what the refugees "deserve".

(And, as an aside, you guys have much nicer thrift shops than I do. I don't think I've ever seen a non-crt screen at mine!)

StdNormDist fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 3, 2014

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

Well yeah, they don't want lovely low level consumer TVs, but Goodwill could easily enough send out a list of models to look out for that SDA could post online or something, but that would probably be more work than they'd be interested in doing.

Goodwill does sort through the stuff they get, and things that have a high enough value will be sold online or otherwise sold in a way to get the most cash. If you are ever in Portland Oregon, go to the Goodwill on Hawthorne and your mind will be blown. Friendly and helpful staff, clothing arranged into outfits and on display, theme weeks. The staff there told me that they do have of list for particular brands and items, and those things get sent to Goodwills like that one where Hipsters will pay top dollar.

A coworker of mine is really into Lego, and he use to get most of them from Goodwill. When he stopped finding them he asked why, and found out that they made of policy of parting them out on eBay because they could get way more money for them that way.

But when it comes to consumer electronics, no one really sends the good stuff to Goodwill. A perfectly functioning but otherwise old TV just gets put in the bedroom, or given to friends or family. By the time it is in a state that you don't want it in your house and none of your friends will take it, the buttons don't work right, it has Cheerios and toddler spit crammed into the speakers, and stinks of cigarettes and cat piss.

StdNormDist posted:

(And, as an aside, you guys have much nicer thrift shops than I do. I don't think I've ever seen a non-crt screen at mine!)

It helps if the state you live in (like Oregon here) makes it illegal to put them in a landfill. CRTs disappeared real fast, because no one wanted to be stuck holding one once the law forced them to pay specialized electronics recyclers to haul them off.

Beowulfs_Ghost fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 3, 2014

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Rorus Raz posted:

Michael Savage went off on a tizzy about how the illegal kids are being kept in "camps" that are really luxury hotels with flat screen TVs, a pool, flat screen TVs, beds, and flat screen TVs (he REALLY wanted to drive that point home). Apparently some company is making MAD MONEY off the government by providing these facilities and...I guess I'm supposed to be outraged that government contracts are going towards helping brown kids instead of murdering them for once?

I dunno, it got into really tinfoil hat territory before it grew dull.

This right wing dust up has been about a place called the Palm-Aire Hotel (Best Western) in Weslaco, TX. My in-laws are from there, and we often stay at that place. There is actually an article in their local paper about that mocks the thing mostly because the Palm Aire is a roach infested shithole that was built in the 70's and is awful (The locals like it thought because it was the only place in town for a long time, so they have a nostalgic appreciation for the place, but the new Holiday Inn Express next door has taken a lot of their business). Look up the reviews, it's really bad. However, they do have flat screen TV's because they put new furniture in their lovely rooms in 2011, and I'm sure getting old CRT's was a pretty tough get. There were articles on Breitbart, Fox, and Drudge about Palm Aire being a luxury resort for illegals or whatever which has been picked up by the talk radio folks. I find it hilarious.

As for cost, we can generally stay there over Christmas for about $50 a night. LUXURY HOTEL FOR ILLEGALS.

Edit: Also at a Starbucks down here that's about 60% Border Patrol agents right now.

Here is the article from the local paper about the Palm-Aire.

http://www.themonitor.com/news/local/after-controversy-what-s-next-for-the-palm-aire-hotel/article_96f9fccc-1ac3-11e4-946c-001a4bcf6878.html

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 3, 2014

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

If you are ever in Portland Oregon, go to the Goodwill on Hawthorne and your mind will be blown. Friendly and helpful staff, clothing arranged into outfits and on display, theme weeks. The staff there told me that they do have of list for particular brands and items, and those things get sent to Goodwills like that one where Hipsters will pay top dollar.

Heh, I went in there right when they opened that store and there was someone from a radio station interviewing shoppers on what they thought about "upscale thrifting". She insisted on asking my thoughts so I LF'd out like a total goon about how they pay blind people $.25 an hour while sitting on hundreds of millions in reserve cash and mentioned you could get better deals on nicer clothes up the street at the resale shops that actually pay people for their clothes.

Its a real bummer about how bad Goodwill has gotten. At one time thrift stores served the dual purpose of providing cheap goods to the poor while also generating revenue for charitable work. At some point revenue generation for its own sake became the prime motivator for Goodwill and Salvation Army so now anything that is actually useful or good is priced out of the reach of the poor who used to rely on these places. poo poo, H&M clothes are cheaper than Goodwill half the time. And what kind of charity work do they realistically do with all of that money if they can't even pay their employees a living wage?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I wonder if NPR will take Juan Williams back since he'll probably be looking for a new gig soon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMbfdYH0moU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

quote:

In the 1970s, Barry Obama would shout "Interception!" to them as he took a hit off a joint out of turn. This weekend, he shouts "fore!" with the reunited members of the Choom Gang.

The president spends his birthday weekend like so many other weekends of his presidency: playing golf. Mike Ramos, Bobby Titcomb, and Greg Orme--friends from Obama's high school daze in Hawaii--joined the president for a round on the links at Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland on Saturday morning. The foursome, according to the Associated Press, teed off with another eight players.

The president turns 53 on Monday.

As Israel exchanges fire with Hamas, a crisis continues to envelope the southern border, and the House of Representatives votes to sue the president for overreach, golf outings increasingly wear thin on the public even if they reinvigorate the president. A website dedicated to documenting presidential rounds of golf marks Obama's count as approaching 200. But Obama hardly stands alone among the other leaders to occupy the White House in finding a respite from the demands of office on the fairways.

Far more unique is the president's high school associations, brought together so much by marijuana that they named their group the "Choom Gang" in honor of the intoxicating plant. Dwight Eisenhower, Gerald Ford, and Bill Clinton shared a love of golfing. Who among the previous 42 men to hold the office came together with boyhood chums over a shared interest in burning dried hemp plants?

"As a member of the Choom Gang," David Maraniss explains in his presidential biography, "Barry Obama was known for starting a few pot-smoking trends." These included "roof hits," rolling the windows up and inhaling the last trails of smoke remaining in the Volkswagen van, and "total absorption," or "TA" for short. "TA was the opposite of Bill Clinton's claim that as a Rhodes scholar at Oxford he smoked dope but never inhaled," Maraniss tells. In their pot circle, smokers exhaling too soon "were assessed a penalty and your turn was skipped the next time the joint came around." Obama, a critic of football as president, imitated the elements of the game while pursuing his marijuana pastimes with his Punahou School friends. "When a joint was making the rounds," Maraniss explains, "he often elbowed his way in, out of turn, shouted 'Intercepted!,' and took an extra hit."

More than three decades later, a grayer, paunchier Choom Gang reunites to play a sport instead of spark up a joint. And to listen to one Choom Gang gang-banger tell it, the group always centered more around athletics than herb. Mike Ramos maintained in a conversation with the New York Times earlier this year that "we played a lot more basketball than we smoked pot."

And Bill Clinton never inhaled.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Oh god, he's using "gang" to invoke violent thugs instead of "group of old friends" isn't he

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

quote:

golf outings increasingly wear thin on the public

Do they? I'm pretty sure I've never heard about Obama golfing from someone in real life. I think I only hear about it in bad web articles and bad political cartoons. Maybe they talk about in on Fox News, I don't know.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Spacedad posted:

WARNING: Prepare for stupidity overload.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_qpnOYZ60E

There's a lot of stupidity on parade here, including the usual idiot's idiom of confusing Central Americans for Mexicans, but my personal favorite part is when they show they think a banana republic is a socialist state. (It's not.)

This isn't even about left vs right so much as stupid loving morons vs people without their heads up their asses.

For those watching: Khuner is a regular Savage substitute. AND OH MY GOD DOES HE SUCK HIS DICK SO HARD WHEN HE FILLS IN.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Rorus Raz posted:

Oh god, he's using "gang" to invoke violent thugs instead of "group of old friends" isn't he

He called one of them a "gang-banger"; I don't think there's any question of that.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

quote:

In the 1970s, Barry Obama would shout "Interception!" to them as he took a hit off a joint out of turn. This weekend, he shouts "fore!" with the reunited members of the Choom Gang.

Wait so, the Key and Peele skit was accurate?

:allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlxkcewBEe0

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Wait so, the Key and Peele skit was accurate?

:allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlxkcewBEe0

I thought the same thing, I thought that was just a made up thing

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Lycus posted:

Do they? I'm pretty sure I've never heard about Obama golfing from someone in real life. I think I only hear about it in bad web articles and bad political cartoons. Maybe they talk about in on Fox News, I don't know.

Anyway, it's bad enough that we had that one famous mixed race black-looking fellow playing golf, but at least Tiger had the decency to accept his proper place as an athlete and nothing more. Mister Obama insists on presidenting while playing golf, which is ten times worse since he's golfing casually while indirectly telling white people what to do.
(Is how I'd imagine the author feels)

If Americans can't stand Obama playing golf at his current rate, surely there were golf riots under Eisenhower and Wilson. I like that Obama playing basketball with enthusiasts gets him put in the spites-whitey picture frame, and throwing a baseball or firing a gun or biking gets him put into the effeminate spaz picture frame, but somehow him golfing is a real threat to Real America since maybe he's razing and salting each course to build FEMA camps after playing through?

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 4, 2014

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

comes along bort posted:

I wonder if NPR will take Juan Williams back since he'll probably be looking for a new gig soon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMbfdYH0moU

This guy, geez. Racist people sure do get upset when you call them out.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Sir Tonk posted:

This guy, geez. Racist people sure do get upset when you call them out.

Not mentioned in that clip but the upset guy is from Heritage Foundation, because of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I wish he had just said they're all racist since it's true