Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Splashing white for Graceful Antelope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012

Sarcastro posted:

Wouldn't it have been cool if at some point subsequently they'd printed a Flash creature with "whenever an opponent would draw a card, they draw seven cards instead"?

Yeah, or maybe just give YOU the cards instead? Like some sort of thief of notions? That would be so cool, surely people would play it.

:(

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
They should make a creature with planeswalkerwalk.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Ranpire posted:

Yeah, or maybe just give YOU the cards instead? Like some sort of thief of notions? That would be so cool, surely people would play it.

It definitely seems weird that Notion Thief has seen more play as an anti-Jace/Brainstorm card in legacy than an anti-Revelation card in standard.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Ranpire posted:

I am extremely skeptical that any kind of theoretical card could deal with Sphinx's Revelation, as we've seen it dominate time and time again with no resistance. If such a card did exist surely it would see play, considering the state of this UW menace.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

The real tragedy is that since Jund Walkers is such a good matchup, we'll have to deal with Ivan Floch playing a cool deck that takes a long time to win vs Jackson Cunningham, king idiot fucker that takes forever to decide if his wurm token is really going to die, representing nothing since his opponent has his goddamn deck list.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

It definitely seems weird that Notion Thief has seen more play as an anti-Jace/Brainstorm card in legacy than an anti-Revelation card in standard.

I remember people trying it at an SCG Open shortly after Notion Thief came out. It didn't really do anything.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Could Invoke the Firemind be reprinted to say "and"? Looking at Rakdos' return and Sphinx's revelation (and maybe debt to the deathless?), it seems like draw X cards, deal X damage wouldn't be too crazy.

Bare minimum it could be creature only. I'm just sad that the card seems so bad...

Also, is there a Black/blue card with the draw/discard X line? wondering how many cards have effects like this...

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Minority Deport posted:

I remember people trying it at an SCG Open shortly after Notion Thief came out. It didn't really do anything.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

How much did he get off that Notion Thief? 7?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Count Bleck posted:

It was in response to a Jace Brainstorm IIRC.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

3 off the Jace brainstorm, which drew him into a force to counter the guys hymn to tourach, allowing him to swords to ploweshares a Baleful Strix so his Notion Thief could attack and kill the Jace.

Then with the second game pretty much in hand, he flashes one in off a brainstorm cast off a Shardless Agent cascade trigger

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

BizarroAzrael posted:

And the other Sphinx's Revelations it draws. And the piles of degenerate combos like Quicken/sweeper it assembles with ease.

It's going to be funny when these people find they're not as good at Magic as they thought when it cycles out.

I don't get this sentiment. UW control isn't even the best deck in standard.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

clamiam45 posted:

I don't get this sentiment. UW control isn't even the best deck in standard.

Most people hate it because you have to work for your wins, harder than most decks have to.

Because usually the deck wipes the board once and starts to do its thing. Which is make sure you never stick another spell ever again and slowly kill you.

It's not fun to play against unless you absolutely crush it.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Ranpire posted:

Yeah, I know, but as long as I was imagining, I wanted to imagine something that didn't just steal the cards, but literally won you the game on the spot.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Oh, thank goodness, green white aggro pulls a second forest. Hopefully Cunningham can turn this right back around.

edit: WOO! Go green white!

Ramos fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 4, 2014

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
And U/W will take this tournament.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Ramos posted:

Oh, thank goodness, green white aggro pulls a second forest. Hopefully Cunningham can turn this right back around.

edit: WOO! Go green white!
Congrats, UW's gonna win.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
That semifinals was loving nuts.

Too bad the finals is gonna be awful.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I'll personally be rooting for Floch because I like him more as a person. He also plays his deck very quickly and efficiently, which is less offensive to me than an aggro player taking forever to make every single decision.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

YeehawMcKickass posted:

And U/W will take this tournament.

Yeah but the match will last until next morning, judging by the speed of the GW player.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Congrats UW, I'm out for the day.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Wow, this thread must be filled with black coffee, because it's bitter as hell.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Don't get me wrong, I want G/W to win this. Roughly the only way he's going to pull it off is to resolve AND monstrosity a Fleecemane Lion.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Don't get me wrong, I want G/W to win this. Roughly the only way he's going to pull it off is to resolve AND monstrosity a Fleecemane Lion.

Genesis Hydra for 2.

I don't think this deck is even running Genesis Hydra, unfortunately.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

There's no reason for him to run Genesis Hydra, he doesn't ramp mana like green devotion does. Anyway, it's going to be a difficult match for green white, but I think there's still a solid chance to pull off the win.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
U/W will probably take it down, but I'm fine with that. It's been awhile since an all-out control deck takes it, and I think Floch operates it about as fast as you can reasonably expect.

My original rooting interest was Pat Cox on Brave Naya for the Washington DC representation.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Too bad he doesn't have Dryad Militant over that Sunblade Elf.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Lurchington posted:

U/W will probably take it down, but I'm fine with that. It's been awhile since an all-out control deck takes it, and I think Floch operates it about as fast as you can reasonably expect.

My original rooting interest was Pat Cox on Brave Naya for the Washington DC representation.

Floch plays pretty fast from what I've seen. This won't take all night.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Its not that he plays slow, its that his deck has no win condition outside of his opponent conceding.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I missed it, does this UW list have literally any way at all to deal with a monstrous Lion? I realize having 5 untapped lands and and lion in play is non-trivial, but having that sort of silver bullet is sorta hilarious.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

YeehawMcKickass posted:

He has no major win con iirc, and the GW player will be hesitant and sweating bullets for five minutes before doing anything whenever Floch does something.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Boxman posted:

I missed it, does this UW list have literally any way at all to deal with a monstrous Lion? I realize having 5 untapped lands and and lion in play is non-trivial, but having that sort of silver bullet is sorta hilarious.

Azorius Charm and a ton of life gain.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Boxman posted:

Nyx-Fleece Ram and counter every Ajani which could put a counter on.

ShadeofBlue posted:

Azorius Charm and a ton of life gain.

Azorious Charm can't do anything to Lion.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Actually one of the rarely discussed wincons in the deck is that your opponent might get hit by a meteor during the course of the match. Few other decks can play to that out.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

Nyx-Fleece Ram and counter every Ajani which could put a counter on.

Azorious Charm can't do anything to Lion.

Yah I always forget the hexproof.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Double Mana Confluence. :gonk:

Granted, this won't really hurt all that bad against white blue.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Hey stupid. You know what jace +1 does. Play faster.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I'm glad I've chosen to do other things today instead of watch whatever you guys are watching (Pro Tour?). :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Hey stupid. You know what jace +1 does. Play faster.
b-b-but it's his first time at a pro tour!!!!11 :qq:

Cernunnos posted:

I'm glad I've chosen to do other things today instead of watch whatever you guys are watching (Pro Tour?). :v:
i envy you motherfucker

• Locked thread