Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Masterwork has a feature where you can protect yourself against hidden vampires, werewolves and other such dangers through Wards of Armok. These are effectively pets that you can pasture in well-travelled areas of your fort that will detect and purify night creatures. To get them you have to sacrifice one of your healthy dwarves to Armok. Having lost a couple of forts to Warlocks in the booze stockpile and werewolves anywhere (they are almost unkillable without silver) I've gotten proactive about getting the things.

In my most recent fort, following a few attacks, I've been having some trouble with the morale of my frontline troops. As they patrol the front gate they have to put up with being nauseated by the sun along with the usual military bad thoughts. Despite this, most of the squad has been in fairly high spirits aside from a few troublemakers. Getting tired of their gripes, I looked into the pair of whiners. A married couple, two of my original seven, they had had four children. One snatched, one dead in combat, two sacrificed to Armok to provide wards for the rest. And they still patrolled the entrance, day in day out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

my dad posted:

The morale bug is something he's working on. Making morale work well isn't exactly an easy task, particularly when you consider everything a creature AI needs to take into account. It's a small wonder that it works at all, as is. He's been tweaking it since the new version was released, so hopefully it will be goon enough soon enough.

I'm not entirely sure that the current state is worse than before. It used to be you could have a huge field of fetid corpses and corpse parts. Dead monsters, goblins, humans, elves, and even dwarven visitors piled high and rotting in the sun. Rats, flies, and maggots everywhere.

Nobody blinks. Nobody minds. Nobody even mentions it unless poorly placed bodies start generating miasma. Residents willingly wade through the field of putrid flesh to add another corpse to the far side of the refuse stockpile. Immigrants walk past without a word, only commenting on how nice your front door is. Merchants happily stroll past, even if the front of the heap contains the rotting corpses of last year's merchant expedition, "Oh, so that's what happened to Steve's group, I wondered what happened to that guy. Oh well, never liked him anyway."

The implications of that are really hosed up.

The main change I'd like to see is for everyone to become hardened faster. So within a few months the refuse haulers in your fort aren't bothered by walking past that human-that-used-to-be-a-weretortise skeleton, but newcomers still think it is hosed up to leave that thing lying next to the front gate.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
it will probably just end up being a mood thing "urist got to see a dead guy today!" "burist was forced to walk past decaying corpses" and then if the thing is very freshly dead, morale check against what it was, how gross it is, is it a scary bug etc

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Angela Christine posted:

The main change I'd like to see is for everyone to become hardened faster. So within a few months the refuse haulers in your fort aren't bothered by walking past that human-that-used-to-be-a-weretortise skeleton, but newcomers still think it is hosed up to leave that thing lying next to the front gate.

Invaders do need to have their initial hardening state increased; I really don't think that any sane nation sends in a greenhorn raiding party.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i really hope stuff doesnt get hardened to infinity by turtle shells and mule bones though

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

If you retire a necromancer with their undead minions, the undead minions will attack them when you unretire them. The worst part is I have no idea where I died so the slab is lost forever. :smith:

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 4, 2014

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zomborgon posted:

Invaders do need to have their initial hardening state increased; I really don't think that any sane nation sends in a greenhorn raiding party.

The first couple "invasions" by one or two squads could literally be some racist goblin teenagers out for a lark. The first sight of blood or danger and most of them freak out and gently caress off. But yeah, once the real organized armies start showing up with Elite soldiers, generals, and cavalry they should have enough discipline to get into real fights.

A bit of lingering moods would be good too. A dwarf can be overcome by horror or go into emotional shock, but there is nothing in the thoughts to indicate what they are so upset about. I used the dump trick to get a dead dwarf out of a cage, and then forgot about it until everyone walking past the dump tile started freaking out. Oh right, that guy, I need to unforbid his corpse so they will bury him.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Speaking of dwarfs in cages, I've noticed dwarfs actually bringing water to dwarfs in cages. :swoon:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've had a dwarf simultaneously unconscious and in a state of mortal fear in my main dining hall for an entire season now. All my other dwarves are happily drinking and eating around him.

He is being brought food and water.

:wtc:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

"Oh, that's just Old Screamin' Jim. We just gotta remind him to have a bite every now and then. His pitch changes with humidity."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Moridin920 posted:

I've had a dwarf simultaneously unconscious and in a state of mortal fear

Dwarven nightmares are the worst.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gimmick Account posted:

Really? Even just a 'the side with more soldiers wins automatically'-sanity check so that situations such as those unstoppable handful-of-men-armies don't occur anymore?
Keep in mind that fortresses you made actually have really low populations. A few versions back I became a necromancer and set out to exterminate at leasto ne civilization, and then after hours of killing hundreds and hundreds of people in a farming hamlet with no sign of their population dropping when I walked away and back to spawn more dudes out of the offscreen population I just loving gave up.

So anybody who could put together a decent sized force would still steamroll your forts when you looked away from them.

GorfZaplen posted:

If you retire a necromancer with their undead minions, the undead minions will attack them when you unretire them. The worst part is I have no idea where I died so the slab is lost forever. :smith:

Check legends for where you died?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

What do I have to type into dfhack to make a shell appear? I've tried every combination of items and materials in the createitem command but I can't get it to work. I'm surprised it's not a standard command since this problem probably accounts for like 30% of their downloads...

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Angela Christine posted:

Dwarven nightmares are the worst.

Dwarves have nightmares when they see the UI off to the side. The insanity of it instantly drives them mad. Dwarves that only saw a part of it pathologically climb trees, in an attempt to flee from it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Angela Christine posted:

I'm not entirely sure that the current state is worse than before. It used to be you could have a huge field of fetid corpses and corpse parts. Dead monsters, goblins, humans, elves, and even dwarven visitors piled high and rotting in the sun. Rats, flies, and maggots everywhere.

Nobody blinks. Nobody minds. Nobody even mentions it unless poorly placed bodies start generating miasma. Residents willingly wade through the field of putrid flesh to add another corpse to the far side of the refuse stockpile. Immigrants walk past without a word, only commenting on how nice your front door is. Merchants happily stroll past, even if the front of the heap contains the rotting corpses of last year's merchant expedition, "Oh, so that's what happened to Steve's group, I wondered what happened to that guy. Oh well, never liked him anyway."

The implications of that are really hosed up.

Oh, I completely agree with you, it certainly gives the dwarves a lot more humanity than they used to have, which is always a good thing.

I think that having a different reaction to a corpse based on whether it's from a sentient being or not would be good move.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I've been playing Masterwork while I wait for the break inbetween updates to become a bit longer, and I've been trying out all the races (Except dwarves since they never seem to survive world-gen.)

I'm playing a race that's supposed to have big above-ground stone palaces, but I always just dig out dwarf forts underground. Anyone got any tips on how to improve my stone -> block workflow, or build an aboveground fort? Last time I really sat down and played DF boulders weren't quite so heavy.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Tyty posted:

I've been playing Masterwork while I wait for the break inbetween updates to become a bit longer, and I've been trying out all the races (Except dwarves since they never seem to survive world-gen.)

I'm playing a race that's supposed to have big above-ground stone palaces, but I always just dig out dwarf forts underground. Anyone got any tips on how to improve my stone -> block workflow, or build an aboveground fort? Last time I really sat down and played DF boulders weren't quite so heavy.

Instead of digging tunnels build terraced quarrying pits instead. Dig squares straight down to the bedrock and stock up on wheelbarrows and maybe make a minecart network.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

v40.06 seems to have introduced a new bug: loose women. Early autumn of the first year and two three of my starting 7 have just given birth. They aren't married. They have never been married. They don't even have private bedrooms yet.

It is Scandalous.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Dorf sex.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

my dad posted:

Oh, I completely agree with you, it certainly gives the dwarves a lot more humanity than they used to have, which is always a good thing.

I think that having a different reaction to a corpse based on whether it's from a sentient being or not would be good move.

Power Goal 325: Some dwarves, on seeing animal carcasses, will convert to veganism and upload insufferable tumblr posts from your computer.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Angela Christine posted:

v40.06 seems to have introduced a new bug: loose women. Early autumn of the first year and two three of my starting 7 have just given birth. They aren't married. They have never been married. They don't even have private bedrooms yet.

It is Scandalous.

who are their fathers?

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
Is this new version unoptimised? I'm finding the DF2014 releases to run insanely slow, FPS wise, compared to previous versions.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

That's because now the entire world is running and updating in the background, while before time would only pass for your little fort

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Angela Christine posted:

It is Scandalous.

I wonder if what this is is dwarves having their histories being generated in the 2 weeks before the game starts proper?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Verviticus posted:

who are their fathers?

Oh, my.

The first one was fathered by the doctor.

And so was the second one.

And the third. Apparently 'Doc' Muscleseal is a huge slut. Dude just sprays his dwarf spores everywhere.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

that owns. i didnt even know that was possible (or im pretty sure it wasnt)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Does mothers' relationship screen mention the father?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

40.06 string dump status:

- New announcement tag: BIRTH_WILD_ANIMAL. That's one way to take care of that bug, let people decide if it's worth giving a poo poo about.
- Shorter interface blips for adventure mode: Slp!, VDrw, Drws, Strv and Hngr. The text cutting off was also a bug.
- New job cancellation reason: (needs) strand body part. Hair and wool.
- An all-new kind of wound: partially butchered. Has an entry both in the health screen and creature description wound listings. Don't ask me.
- Two errorlog messages for auto-fixing stuff in old saves.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kennel posted:

Does mothers' relationship screen mention the father?

All three list him as a friend.

e: I just checked on Doc and he actually has 4 kids. The last is with a lady that came in the first immigration wave, so that one is 3 months younger than the others.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Aug 4, 2014

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

What is he a 'doctor' of exactly :raise:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Interesting. In their relationship screens all his kids correctly identify their own mother and father, but they don't list each other as siblings.

If anyone is curious what a dwarfen Don Juan looks like:

The ladies just can't resist his wavy hair and sunken blue eyes.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Angela Christine posted:

Interesting. In their relationship screens all his kids correctly identify their own mother and father, but they don't list each other as siblings.

If anyone is curious what a dwarfen Don Juan looks like:

The ladies just can't resist his wavy hair and sunken blue eyes.

A meager feel for social relationships and a poor kinesthetic sense? Your dwarf ladies are falling for a shut in clumsy lover.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

He is quite durable.
He slept without a proper room recently.
He has been satisfied at work lately.

Doc Thumurvad, Accomplished Sexual Therapist.

Shame about his poor kinesthetic sense, but they don't seem to mind.

e: drat you! ^^^

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Tyty posted:

Dig a standard underground fortress, then excavate it. Sure it won't be block walls, it'll be even better: engraved walls!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

And don't just settle for a hole in the ground - carve up half of a mountain. Less soil that way, too.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Tyty posted:

Mass produce bricks. Or if you're a warlock have an ethereal forge churning out bricks 24/7. Bricks are your best bet to make ridiculous amounts of building materials.

Alternatively, start an Orc fortress and get that one building that lets you make bricks in batches of 40 for minimal resources. Then cackle insanely as you carpet the game world in your constructions.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

He leads a fast paced life, open minded, he doesn't care what people think about him, he is a friendly individual.

A charming poly dorf that doctor.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Tyty posted:

Put some stone stockpiles near your mason workshops, set the stockpile to non-economic stone, assign them wheelbarrows, then set the stockpile to give to the mason's workshops.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Warlocks have the easiest time because they can mass produce cheap blocks for free. Sit one warlock in the ethereal gate with Summon Ethereal Brick (in the colour of your choice) on repeat and you can basically construct anything you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

AXE COP posted:

Warlocks have the easiest time because they can mass produce cheap blocks for free. Sit one warlock in the ethereal gate with Summon Ethereal Brick (in the colour of your choice) on repeat and you can basically construct anything you want.

That has to be a boring, lonely life.

Sorry no breaks, we gotta meet ghost brick quota this week