Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I'm guessing that The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky can be played with controller only, and it doesn't have too demanding minspecs, making it a good game for lounging on the couch and playing on the TV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It's got a few controller issues that can be easily fixed with something like joy2key currently but otherwise should be fine.

Edit: you will have to use a mouse to configure the game's graphics and such. It can be controller only past the main menu.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
I had to mess with the settings for my 360 controller a bit, but it works fine.

Honestly, the keyboard and mouse controls seemed pretty good to me too.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
I'm assuming the cutscenes in Trails aren't supposed be all green and purple and double-vision-y? Because I quite like the aesthetic, but it makes no sense.

Any of you fine folks have some guidance on how to remedy the controller mess?

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Aug 1, 2014

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
No, its a fullscreen bug that they haven't been able to remedy quite yet. You can either put the game into windowed mode or watch the movies from the install folder directly. The only movies are the Falcom logo and the intro.

What controller issues exactly? I was able to use Joy2Key to get everything working how I wanted which is mostly just mapping direction keys to the d-pad.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Bobo the Red posted:

I'm assuming the cutscenes in Trails aren't supposed be all green and purple and double-vision-y? Because I quite like the aesthetic, but it makes no sense.

Any of you fine folks have some guidance on how to remedy the controller mess?

No, but the opening cinematic is the only one in the game so eh.

Also what controller mess? They patched it so that controllers work fine, so if your controller isn't working that's a new thing.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I've just picked up Bravely Default at last and I'm enjoying it so far--saving it for a long car ride that's upcoming, where I'll need ten hours to kill. A little worried about all the complaints about the second half in here. I've already been somewhat spoiled, based on in-game details and forum posts For instance, I know that our heroes--and at least Ringabel--are caught in some sort of stable time loop, since I have a diary of my whole adventure before it's begun.. But I'm loving the job system thus far!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Job System and the first two Time Loops and the last Time Loop are really really great, so is the reveal for the Lying Fairy that is hinted at in the title. However, there is a lot of repeating the exact same thing over and over in between those two parts that is totally unneccessary. They could have changed a lot more in between to make it more interesting. I really am looking forward the Bravely Second, because even with the terrible middle parts, the Battle System, Jobs, Start, and Finish are excellent.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Are we actually going to get Bravely Second or is Squenix gonna drag their asses like normal? I hope they leave in all the borderline broken poo poo, the best part of BD was how they expect and almost force you to abuse stuff like ninja dodge-counters.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Square Enix was surprised by how well Bravely Default sold outside of Japan (it even outsold XIII-3), so they'll probably release the sequel in a more timely fashion.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Mill Village posted:

Square Enix was surprised by how well Bravely Default sold outside of Japan (it even outsold XIII-3), so they'll probably release the sequel in a more timely fashion.

They're the only ones who were surprised.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Square has no idea why they're popular or what people want of them, shocking.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not hugely surprised to be honest. 4 Heroes of Light which was the spiritual predecessor to BD and had the FF name on it didn't do so hot, and Bravely Default has a lot of similar problems to that game. (Although not the huge party splitting, fortunately.)

BD did well because it has good advertising and a good demo and because it shits the bed in the second half so it was easier for good word of mouth to get out about it before people started complaining, but it's pretty reasonable to assume it would have been less successful than it was. Especially worth considering that we only got the Final Mix-alike version of the game and a lot of the features people praised were added in as a patch on the problems the original version had.

What S-E should take away from this is "people want those kind of games" and "actually advertise those kind of games," but we'll see what they actually take away from it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 2, 2014

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

What's the consensus on Radiata Stories? I remember being excited about it when I was younger because I really liked Star Ocean 3's combat, but I never got around to it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

What's the consensus on Radiata Stories? I remember being excited about it when I was younger because I really liked Star Ocean 3's combat, but I never got around to it.

It's a good game but slow to start off.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Mill Village posted:

There's a XIII-3? For the love of god, why :negative:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's pretty good, but takes a while to get going and open up, and like most games of its type a lot of the recruitments can be fairly obtuse or require you to talk to people at a very specific point in the story while meeting very specific conditions.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Catts posted:

There's a XIII-3? For the love of god, why :negative:

It's called Lightning Returns and is somehow even worse than the previous entries (so bad both Bravely Default and the HD port of FFX heavily outsold it.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

It's called Lightning Returns and is somehow even worse than the previous entries (so bad both Bravely Default and the HD port of FFX heavily outsold it.)

It's actually a better game in most ways. v:shobon:v The story is still terrible, mind, but it wasn't actually a worse game than FFXIII-2 in pretty much any way.

Also this

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 2, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

It's called Lightning Returns and is somehow even worse amazing than the previous entries (so bad both Bravely Default and the HD port of FFX heavily outsold it.)

Fixed that for you there.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Is that the game which has the armor of "Lightning straps about fifty moogles to her body"?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Zereth posted:

Is that the game which has the armor of "Lightning straps about fifty moogles to her body"?

Yep!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zereth posted:

Yes. You can play through the entire game wearing armor made of moogles with a pumpkin for a head if you want.

It helps make the cutscenes a lot more tolerable, but the combat design and general gameplay is honestly a step up from both the previous games. People freaked out over the time system but it's insanely forgiving, to the point you'll have too much time if anything.

The Valkyrie Profile team at Tri-Ace worked on the game and so it actually feels bizarrely like some mutant hybrid of VP and FF in both good and bad ways. It's unarguably janky but if it had been Valkyrie Profile 4 or whatever instead of a FFXIII spinoff/sequel you'd probably see different opinions on it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 2, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Yes. You can play through the entire game wearing armor made of moogles with a pumpkin for a head if you want.

It helps make the cutscenes a lot more tolerable.

As do the ultimate weapons, which are all fluorescent pink! They're having this "deep" discussion and here Lightning is looking like something out of Saints Row.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
My girlfriend played the entire game with Lightning having a dapper black moustache. It was the definition of polishing a turd.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Flytrap posted:

As do the ultimate weapons, which are all fluorescent pink! They're having this "deep" discussion and here Lightning is looking like something out of Saints Row.
If she acted like The Boss too, that would make me actually interested in it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

All I can think of when I see this is the Baby Shield. Only, I somehow doubt the villains are going to care if a few Moogles die.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

The Valkyrie Profile team at Tri-Ace worked on the game and so it actually feels bizarrely like some mutant hybrid of VP and FF in both good and bad ways. It's unarguably janky but if it had been Valkyrie Profile 4 or whatever instead of a FFXIII spinoff/sequel you'd probably see different opinions on it.

That's a cool bit of info I had no idea about. I'm glad they made a mediocre Final Fantasy instead of a mediocre Valkyrie Profile 3 though.

There's really only one good part of Lightning Returns:

:neckbeard:

Mooglesuit is pretty neat too I guess.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Neddy Seagoon posted:

All I can think of when I see this is the Baby Shield. Only, I somehow doubt the villains are going to care if a few Moogles die.

I've seen this image several times. Where does it come from? Google image search did not give me a definitive answer. A Batman comic?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Mark Waid's Insufferable, it's one of the free formerly free Thrillbent digital comics.

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 2, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Thanks.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Man, Bravely Default is friggin' hard. I wonder if I should be grinding more--I'm about level 18, 19, and I just beat Orthoros. The boss before him was way harder though, that was the first boss to wipe me multiple times and I ended up only beating him on the run where I failed to steal his item away so I'm a touch miffed at that.

Should I be doubling up on jobs more often or am I underleveled at this point of the game?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
You don't need to grind very often in BD I found. Generally if a boss is stomping your face in, you need to experiment with new job combos. I have a weird aversion to using 2 of the same job, and it never hosed me too badly. Treat bosses more like extended puzzles with health bars and you'll be fine.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Lotish posted:

I've seen this image several times. Where does it come from? Google image search did not give me a definitive answer. A Batman comic?

Only time I've seen this was with aatrek's face on it.

So, I am looking for...an RPG, obviously. A simple timesink, nothing too graphical advanced that thrives on getting better items. It should not really have an endgoal, any way to spend real money on it. I know this is oddly unspecific but I can't make my mind up.

The second thing would be a game like recettar, where you are the dude in the town, getting stuff, crafting poo poo and then selling it. Any ideas on that?

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Michaellaneous posted:

So, I am looking for...an RPG, obviously. A simple timesink, nothing too graphical advanced that thrives on getting better items. It should not really have an endgoal, any way to spend real money on it. I know this is oddly unspecific but I can't make my mind up.

The second thing would be a game like recettar, where you are the dude in the town, getting stuff, crafting poo poo and then selling it. Any ideas on that?

I had a good time with Weapon Shop de Omasse, one of Level-5's side projects for 3DS. You run a weapon shop and rent them out to NPC's and hero characters. It's not executed as well as it could have been, but it was a fun 15 hours or so.

E: I also got way into Metal Saga earlier this summer. It's a fairly aimless RPG focused on crafting vehicles and roaming wastelands, at least as far as I've gotten. There's an LP going on, I haven't read it but you could check that out too.

Factory Davey fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 3, 2014

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I had a good time with Weapon Shop de Omasse, one of Level-5's side projects for 3DS. You run a weapon shop and rent them out to NPC's and hero characters. It's not executed as well as it could have been, but it was a fun 15 hours or so.

Yeah I read about it, too bad it is a 3DS game, and I don't have one of those.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Michaellaneous posted:

If you have a PS3, get one of the Atelier games. They do have combat but they're largely based around collecting and crafting. The Dusk games (Atelier Ayesha and Atelier Escha & Logy) are the better ones available. E&L is the best of the lot but also has a somewhat greater emphasis on combat, although you can get past most of it just by crafting items that let you kill enemies quickly.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
Started my first (real) playthrough of FF12, decided to take a look at what chests I need to ignore for the Zodiac whatever because I've heard that's a problem.

Less than an hour into the game and it turns out I already broke it.

:fuckoff: squeenix

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Catts posted:

Started my first (real) playthrough of FF12, decided to take a look at what chests I need to ignore for the Zodiac whatever because I've heard that's a problem.

Less than an hour into the game and it turns out I already broke it.

:fuckoff: squeenix
Yeah I think in the first town area before you really do anything you have to not touch one out of a line of four chests.

It's super dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Michaellaneous posted:

Yeah, Atelier Escha & Logy or Atelier Ayesha would be great for you. Combat is present but fairly downplayed and snappy, there's an end goal but not one that's super heavily emphasized - it's not a plot driven epic, it's mostly just a few years in the life of an alchemist in a small town, and maybe they uncover a cool mystery along the way. You get stuff, you craft it, then you sell it or use it in combat.

There's some DLC but it isn't a F2P type cashgrind, it's just 'hey you can use these random NPCs in combat now if you wanna,' nothing necessary, especially if you aren't there for the combat to begin with.