Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best version of El?
This poll is closed.
Elminster 20 6.45%
Elmara 20 6.45%
Entwine 13 4.19%
GURPS 99 31.94%
El Kabong 153 49.35%
Elves 5 1.61%
Total: 310 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Wait did he get a copy of the book that was suddenly Dark Sun after the race section or something?

"Hmmm I live in a world with five nations of great economic power and many houses with vast resources...I better murder this random lovely robot to get scrap metal if I want to build something though."

Some people don't like heroic adventure, they like trying to steal a door because the GM made the mistake of saying it was gold colored.

(Which is fine if everyone's down with it, but usually this isn't the case)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."

Kai Tave posted:

I actually remember someone on RPGnet complaining about how unrealistic and bad Eberron was because it had airships but no tanks, and to illustrate his point he bought up RTS tech-trees as an example. "How did they jump from infantry to airships!?!?! It just makes no sense!"

Tanks were an explicit response to automatic fire and land mines.

Sure, steam-powered vehicles are available, and so are continuous tracks, and actual steam-powered, tracked military vehicles are historically documented as early as the end of the Crimean War. It isn't that hard to make them armored.

However, if you don't even have gunpowder, heavily armored vehicles just don't make sense strategically. There's little that can tear through a vehicle anyways, and the mobility loss is a significant disadvantage.

The real question is, can we expect mechanized infantry in Last War II?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Wait did he get a copy of the book that was suddenly Dark Sun after the race section or something?

"Hmmm I live in a world with five nations of great economic power and many houses with vast resources...I better murder this random lovely robot to get scrap metal if I want to build something though."

The worst/best part is that enough people were like "Can we strip a Warforged for parts if they have the Adamantine Body/Mithril body feats" that they put a specific FAQ entry that was basically "No. Also, gross."

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I remember that Dragon Magazine.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Lightning Lord posted:

Some people don't like heroic adventure, they like trying to steal a door because the GM made the mistake of saying it was gold colored.
I remember I nearly derailed our first Eberron? 3.5? campaign in a similar fashion. Our GM loves to start campaigns by having everyone play a solo adventure bridging between their character background and meeting the rest of the party; in mine, I escaped from a recently-overrun keep where I had been overlooked by being imprisoned in the dungeon. The last thing standing between me and finishing the adventure was the drawbridge over the moat that had been re-raised automatically by some sort of steam engine. The equipment list for the campaign clearly mentioned that any working complex machinery had significant value, so I used my craft skills to detach the drawbridge mechanism and take it with me. One other player was so mad that I started the game having hocked the machinery and made 1,000 gold pieces that he threatened to quit the campaign. Good times.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Lightning Lord posted:

An amateur move at best. Everyone knows the highest value/encumbrance ratio form of vandalism is prying the gems out of statue's eyes.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Hey guys:

Kai_Tave suggested TG could use a "self-publishing advice and discussion" thread (layout software, publishing tools, maybe how to Kickstart if that wouldn't overlap with the KS thread), and/or a thread about how to get freelance work making games.

I feel both threads would need a stronger opening post than I can be bothered giving them right now, though, so I am putting out a CALL. Any tradgoons who think TG could use such a thread and are able to write a solid OP, please do!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Ettin posted:

Hey guys:

Kai_Tave suggested TG could use a "self-publishing advice and discussion" thread (layout software, publishing tools, maybe how to Kickstart if that wouldn't overlap with the KS thread), and/or a thread about how to get freelance work making games.

I feel both threads would need a stronger opening post than I can be bothered giving them right now, though, so I am putting out a CALL. Any tradgoons who think TG could use such a thread and are able to write a solid OP, please do!

I don't feel qualified to OP a thread for self-publishing until my game is actually you know... published, but I'd be happy to contribute to such a thread.

I wouldn't mind seeing a work for hire thread like the one in creative commons but specifically for game related stuff (writers, designers, artists). RPG.net has an entire forum dedicated to freelancers, but I'd rather give my money to goons.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bucnasti posted:

I don't feel qualified to OP a thread for self-publishing until my game is actually you know... published, but I'd be happy to contribute to such a thread.

I wouldn't mind seeing a work for hire thread like the one in creative commons but specifically for game related stuff (writers, designers, artists). RPG.net has an entire forum dedicated to freelancers, but I'd rather give my money to goons.

Work for hire stuff would be a good inclusion as well. Basically we have an industry thread but that's more for kibbutzing about what various publishers do, and we have a "get off your rear end and finish your homebrew" that touches on some self-publishing aspects, but I thought it might be good to have an all-in-one "publishing and selling elfgame related works" thread given that a number of tradgames posters have direct experience in that regard (including Ettin, modest though he is). Things like how to organize and run a Kickstarter (and the pitfalls thereof), how to commission art and what you should expect to budget, how to register yourself as a corporation, things like that. And work-for-hire along with good people and places to look offsite for things like art, links to Creative Commons resources, etc.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Kai Tave posted:

Work for hire stuff would be a good inclusion as well. Basically we have an industry thread but that's more for kibbutzing about what various publishers do, and we have a "get off your rear end and finish your homebrew" that touches on some self-publishing aspects, but I thought it might be good to have an all-in-one "publishing and selling elfgame related works" thread given that a number of tradgames posters have direct experience in that regard (including Ettin, modest though he is). Things like how to organize and run a Kickstarter (and the pitfalls thereof), how to commission art and what you should expect to budget, how to register yourself as a corporation, things like that. And work-for-hire along with good people and places to look offsite for things like art, links to Creative Commons resources, etc.

Yeah I've gotten a lot of good advice from TG, but it's been scattered around on three or four different threads, having a single dedicated place to discuss and consolidate info would be great. If nobody else has the bandwidth to make such a thread I'll do it, I just feel like a lot of my info is still theory until I've actually put it into practice myself.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah I've gotten a lot of good advice from TG, but it's been scattered around on three or four different threads, having a single dedicated place to discuss and consolidate info would be great. If nobody else has the bandwidth to make such a thread I'll do it, I just feel like a lot of my info is still theory until I've actually put it into practice myself.

I'd just go ahead and do it - if there's problems with your info it'll be hashed out in discussion, and you can always edit the OP. You'd do a great job!

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
What the hell has happened, what did you people do to Winson?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
He got a real job.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"He gazed at the enormous collection of books. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of wonders were hidden beneath those covers. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the true meaning and heritage of roleplaying! But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. Winson loved D&D 5E."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lichtenstein posted:

What the hell has happened, what did you people do to Winson?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yYS0ZZdsnA

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Tollymain posted:

"He gazed at the enormous collection of books. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of wonders were hidden beneath those covers. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the true meaning and heritage of roleplaying! But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. Winson loved D&D 5E."

thought this was don quioxte for a second

winson irl, reading his gurps collection for dming ideas

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

never mind i like this idea better

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Mystic Mongol posted:

Follow the natural chain of logic to inventing guns and you get--wands of magic missile.

Which is fine.
Which is the most god awfully boring place you can take it. Its really my major problem with D&D in general in that when you have a tremendous amount of wiggle room to play with you just end up with what is the most boring safest option out there.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Ettin posted:

Hey guys:

Good luck, I asked for this thread for like two years and no one made it. MAYBE Y'ALL WILL MAKE IT FOR THE NEW GUY.

Actually, I hope so. That would be a neat thread.

Bucnasti posted:

Try it anyway, maybe use it as a LIVEBLOG for your KS experience. OH NO, TAXES. OH MY UNEXPECTED NONSENSE. And so on. People could follow your THRILLING KS DRAMA. Plus it would totes boost signal on the KS itself.

Forums Terrorist posted:

thought this was don quioxte for a second

winson irl, reading his gurps collection for dming ideas

THis picture owns hard.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I have that one saved as PendragonGM.jpg.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Kai Tave posted:

and we have a "get off your rear end and finish your homebrew"

Seizing the moment to say something vaguely related here. I've been trying to start up a thread on writing adventures (specifically for general use, rather than "for my gaming group"). So far not a lot of interest; is there another thread where this sort of thing belongs?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

MadScientistWorking posted:

Which is the most god awfully boring place you can take it. Its really my major problem with D&D in general in that when you have a tremendous amount of wiggle room to play with you just end up with what is the most boring safest option out there.

The various complaints about how Eberron should totally have guns aren't really any more creative though. As soon as a certain subset of nerd sees anything in a fantasy game that's even slightly more advanced than your standard Tolkienian pastiche they immediately leap straight to gunpowder and latch onto it singlemindedly.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Do like exalted and have guns that are actually tiny magic flamethrowers then.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Exalted also had like three kinds of magic rayguns because the First Age was actually a science fiction setting, and then Alchemicals can take Megaman's arm cannon.

edit; though actually Warforged can also take like an arm crossbow with infinite ammo so you can kinda get close to that.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kai Tave posted:

Exalted also had like three kinds of magic rayguns because the First Age was actually a science fiction setting, and then Alchemicals can take Megaman's arm cannon.

And people still bitched because only one of them fired solid bullets.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

And it kicked rear end so the court stands. Adjourned! *bangs gavel*

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Kai Tave posted:

The various complaints about how Eberron should totally have guns aren't really any more creative though. As soon as a certain subset of nerd sees anything in a fantasy game that's even slightly more advanced than your standard Tolkienian pastiche they immediately leap straight to gunpowder and latch onto it singlemindedly.

And any attempts at having firearms in D&D always end up being pretty horrible rules-wise, usually in the "this is functionally useless" category.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Some reborn Solar finds a glorious First Age relic buried deep within a tomb filled with the most treacherous traps and guardians known to Creation...a wand of magic missile with the serial numbers filed off and "implosion bow" written on it in marker.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Slimnoid posted:

And any attempts at having firearms in D&D always end up being pretty horrible rules-wise, usually in the "this is functionally useless" category.

Last year I ran a 3.5 game using the primitive gunpowder weaponry rules in the DMG, the group's halfing rogue was able to whoop pretty hard with his masterwork musket.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Slimnoid posted:

People always want guns in D&D, but they never want them to be as dangerous/deadly as guns. So they just wind up being crossbows that take longer to reload and explode when you take fire damage.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Slimnoid posted:

We're having a good time with them in our 4e Zeitgeist campaign, although I confess to a house rule or two.

Okay, so basically, they are better crossbows with longer reload times. They're Brutal 2, high crit, and match up with Hand Crossbows (pistols), Light Crossbows (carbines), and Superior Crossbows (muskets). All of them are Reload Standard, but you can speed that up to Minor with a feat. (Like the old version of Firearm Expertise, which we're using.)

My house rule is that your Attack and Damage for Ranged Basic Attacks with guns are equal to whatever you're best at, kinda like the Arena Fighter's feature. You get your best stat and best feat bonuses with them.

This has made them almost everyone's backup weapon, which is exactly what I was aiming for. It also encourages fire-and-forget flintlock tactics.

Now, I have one player who wanted to use a pair of pistols. Much to my surprise, there's literally no class that's a good idea for, in 4e. I was making a custom gunslinger class for her out of the Scout chassis, but in the end decided it'd be easier to just reskin a musket as the pair. And once she hit 5th level, they turned into six-shooters for her, so that works even better.

(And at 11th, she can turn them into loving RAY GUNS. :black101:)

Evil Mastermind posted:

People always want guns in D&D, but they never want them to be as dangerous/deadly as guns. So they just wind up being crossbows that take longer to reload and explode when you take fire damage.
:lol:

There's other possible rules in the book, including "add 2W to damage" and "get obscured by a cloud of smoke" but I found that my addition hits the feel I was looking for out of flintlocks.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 4, 2014

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

quote:

Now, I have one player who wanted to use a pair of pistols. Much to my surprise, there's literally no class that's a good idea for, in 4e.

Rogues get a feat that lets them attack again with an offhand hand crossbow if they're using them, plus there's some Drow support, but it's not terribly well supported.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

RPZip posted:

Rogues get a feat that lets them attack again with an offhand hand crossbow if they're using them, plus there's some Drow support, but it's not terribly well supported.
Yeah, I found some support for melee + pistol, mostly feats, but 2 pistols are a lovely option by default.

It works fine reskinned the way I did it, though. I'm totally fine with d10b2 high crit pistols, when used as a pair. If she were using a musket, it wouldn't be any different.

She's also a minotaur of all things, which I guess bears mention for the sweet visual.

Note, however, that there's a remarkable dearth of gunslinger minotaur miniatures.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Evil Mastermind posted:

The odd thing is, getting an arrow in the skull or a sword through the sternum isn't exactly healthier than getting shot with a pistol. A character with 20 Strength can technically bench 400lbs, and I don't know the exact formula for converting that into swing strength, but I'm pretty sure it means they could probably chop someone in half lengthways.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

We're having a good time with them in our 4e Zeitgeist campaign, although I confess to a house rule or two.

Unrelated to guns, how are you liking 4e Zeitgeist? I'm getting ready to run it and I'm curious how well the encounters work as written or if I'll end up having to re-balance stuff like I did with War of the Burning Sky.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fuego Fish posted:

The odd thing is, getting an arrow in the skull or a sword through the sternum isn't exactly healthier than getting shot with a pistol. A character with 20 Strength can technically bench 400lbs, and I don't know the exact formula for converting that into swing strength, but I'm pretty sure it means they could probably chop someone in half lengthways.

the lengthwise bisection can even happen in real life, Norman longeaxemen actually hacked through horses and riders with single strikes at the Battle of Hastings. Surely a fighter with the strength of a Hill Giant can do better.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
The problem is there isn't really a good way to have a dedicated firearm user in a setting/game that's primarily focused on classic D&D tropes. Single shot backup weapons are one thing, and a great way to do it if you're doing some kind of Renaissance or high seas or other emerging firearms setting, but it's pretty weird to have someone who uses something like reliable six shooters that are at least somewhat generally available and everyone else is still also using bows and swords.
I think at that point you need to start redesigning the game to a much greater degree, introducing more strongly mechanically represented reasons why guns haven't taken over everything the way they did in the real world, or just say gently caress it, reskin bows as guns, and move on.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Fuego Fish posted:

Well, the real benefits of guns are that, like crossbows, they fire fast and don't take a lot of training to use on a basic level...and they can punch through contemporary armor real nice. And then of course they become extremely light, safe and fast to reload eventually. Plus, they're easier to manufacture than crossbows and for the big ones don't require physical strength to reload.

'Lethality' is not really one of them when it comes to unarmored targets because...yeah, a sword or arrow in the right place kills a guy just as dead.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Getting chopped in half sounds deadlier than getting shot in the torso unless its like by a RPG. Or a point blank shotgun. Or an anti-material rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, I found some support for melee + pistol, mostly feats, but 2 pistols are a lovely option by default.

Kinda, yeah. I just went and looked it up since I was curious.

Two-Fisted Shooter
You can treat the hand crossbow as an off-hand weapon, and you can reload it one handed as a free action. When you score a critical hit and have a loaded hand crossbow in your offhand, you can make a ranged basic attack with that weapon as a free action.

I always interpreted this as being less "get into melee and then have a free attack with a crit", because it'll provoke OAs, and more "time to dual wield these", but it sounds like your solution was just as good if not better.

• Locked thread