Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Holy poo poo, got bored of the standard rapiers, spears and other junk weapons and took my Allone Greatbow out to Iron Keep PvP and had a stupidly good time. I am surprised at the number of people who just don't know what to do when you pull out a bow, rained pain on their sane train! Even got some ring out kills, I'll have to try and get into a tourny or something tomorrow and see how long that'll fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

THE PENETRATOR posted:

I haven't been invading anyone since I've been trying to get 30 medals for Sunlight Spear but for some reason I keep getting more and more sin. Is there really no way other than 1) invading as red 2) killing NPCs? The Lost Sinner's sword keeps getting worse and worse and I'm not even doing anything.

seems like a pretty cool place to fight.

Have you been killing any Arbiters while summoned? That might do something :shrug:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I love it when this happens.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Mr Dog posted:

One of these days I want to get invaded right by a fog gate, just so I can wave to the invader and then swan through the gate and waste their cracked red eye orb :owned:

Every time I try to do this, I get backstabbed before I get all the way through the fog. :(

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah, don't ever try to do that. If the invader gets to you he can just stunlock you to death and there's nothing you can do about it. Even a normal hit will stagger you and reset the animation for walking through the fog.

Harvey Wallbanger
Aug 15, 2009

gently caress. With. Me.

(drakeblood helm, lewellyn armor, drakeblood leggings, king's gauntlets)

fashion souls has probably kept me playing this game at least 100 hours past when i would have stopped otherwise. this poo poo is beautiful.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
You have a fairly decent interval between "Your summon sign has disappeared" or the other invasion tells and the invader appearing in your world. Then you've got about five seconds before he gains control. You can make it work.

Also does anybody else like to cast Chameleon during downtime in co-op boss battles? :haw:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harvey Wallbanger posted:

fashion souls has probably kept me playing this game at least 100 hours past when i would have stopped otherwise. this poo poo is beautiful.

Glad I'm not the only one :shepface:

Hilariously, I think I might have gotten gud at this game because of ~*fashion souls*~ since I make a new character with a new look, new name and new build every time I want to use a certain look.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Just farmed for like 4 hours to get the full Mad Warrior set. I win at games.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Just farmed for like 4 hours to get the full Mad Warrior set. I win at games.

It only took me about an hour thanks to the memory usage trick.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Iretep posted:

It only took me about an hour thanks to the memory usage trick.

Yeah, I used that too, but it still took ages for the drat things to drop. Now I'll never loving take it off, though, so that character is going to be stuck looking like samurai predator forever, but I'm probably okay with that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

You have a fairly decent interval between "Your summon sign has disappeared" or the other invasion tells and the invader appearing in your world. Then you've got about five seconds before he gains control. You can make it work.

Also does anybody else like to cast Chameleon during downtime in co-op boss battles? :haw:

You'll get through sometimes (better hope you never try this against someone with a bow or magic) but I don't see how being smug to some guy you've never met is worth the effort and all the deaths you'll go through failing. You could just go through the fog before they spawn in and it'd still be annoying if that's all you're trying to do.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Alabaster White posted:

Have you been killing any Arbiters while summoned? That might do something :shrug:

Not even once.

I think I haven't even killed one who invaded me recently, just ran from them into boss fog.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
You accumulate sin the longer you use the Lost Sinner Sword

nah just kidding. you don't...maybe

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

This is probably dumb, but for the [element] weapon spells, does it matter at all what catalyst I use, or can I just pick up whatever lovely staff I happen to have on me without affecting how well I do.

Update: I've become stuck in the wall at least three quarters of the attempts at smelter demon this time. gently caress this buggy bullshit boss.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 4, 2014

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

MooCowlian posted:

This is probably dumb, but for the [element] weapon spells, does it matter at all what catalyst I use, or can I just pick up whatever lovely staff I happen to have on me without affecting how well I do.

It only matters insofar as the staff is compatible with the spell. The damage added is based on the damage of the enchanted weapon, not the catalyst.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Isn't it like a 50 damage flat increase to the element of the spell plus an additional percent? Like Sunlight Blade is 50 lightning damage and a 30% increase to the total lightning damage the weapon is doing if I'm remembering right.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Manatee Cannon posted:

Isn't it like a 50 damage flat increase to the element of the spell plus an additional percent? Like Sunlight Blade is 50 lightning damage and a 30% increase to the total lightning damage the weapon is doing if I'm remembering right.

That is how it works, yeah.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

The Staff of Amana has both Magic and Dark damage (http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/staff-of-amana). Does that mean my Soul Arrows will do both Magic and Dark damage, or just that my Sorceries will be based on the Magic number and Hexes on the Dark number?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

The Wonder Weapon posted:

The Staff of Amana has both Magic and Dark damage (http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/staff-of-amana). Does that mean my Soul Arrows will do both Magic and Dark damage, or just that my Sorceries will be based on the Magic number and Hexes on the Dark number?

The 2nd one is correct.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Considering getting this because all the other manchildren are on about it. Should I play Demon's Souls/Dark Souls first?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You don't have to, the plot in all of them is fairly self contained. Most of it is left to the player to piece together. But yes, those are good games that you should play. They're cheaper anyway, so if it ends up being a mistake and you don't like them it'll be a less costly one. Demon's Souls is a PS3 exclusive though.

edit: oh yeah, and the PC port for Dark Souls 1 is trash and you'll need a fan patch for it. Look up dsfix if you buy it.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 4, 2014

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

THE PENETRATOR posted:

The 2nd one is correct.
Thanks

First Bass posted:

Considering getting this because all the other manchildren are on about it. Should I play Demon's Souls/Dark Souls first?
You don't need to at all, but Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition is less than half the price and a very similar experience. You can buy Dark Souls, and if you enjoy it, get DS2. If you like DS2 you'll want to go back and play DS anyways.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
If I'm going for a DEX build that doesn't pump INT or FTH, then should I make my weapon an elemental? I think I might go for something that strikes fast and put poison on it, but I'm more referring to my main "hit poo poo and cause damage" weaponry.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

First Bass posted:

Warning: if you play ds1 you may think ds2 is a bad sequel

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

First Bass posted:

Depends. I'd say overall Dks2 is the best game so far and tied with Dks for the most approachable to new players, but you won't understand any of the story/lore since it depends heavily on the original game's to make sense. The lore is tertiary to everything else so I'd say yes.

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Only if you're a sperg.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

THE PENETRATOR posted:

It was the opposite for me, I loved DS1 but it's hard for me to go back to it because everything is so unpolished compared to DS2. Then again Fromsoft revealed that the original people who made DS1 all went to work on Bloodborne instead so now we get to hear the stupid B team poo poo for every single Dark Souls DLC and Game forever.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Alexzandvar posted:

It was the opposite for me, I loved DS1 but it's hard for me to go back to it because everything is so unpolished compared to DS2. Then again Fromsoft revealed that the original people who made DS1 all went to work on Bloodborne instead so now we get to hear the stupid B team poo poo for every single Dark Souls DLC and Game forever.

I wasn't around for it but I'm told a similar thing happened when Dks first came out, with people saying it was completely inferior to DeS. Pretty lol

I find the same about Dks. Doing a playthrough of it now and it's ridiculous how awkward and lovely everything is compared to Dks2. All the animations just start and end suddenly and are very jerky, and everything you do takes forever. Not to mention being unable to roll cancel out of spells and gestures. It's kinda funny how you hear people complaining about the minor flaws in Dks2 a lot, but hardly anyone ever mentions the little quality of life things they added, like being able to roll out of gestures.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

First Bass posted:

I'd certainly recommend Demons Souls because it's cheap and it gives you a good idea of what the series is like. Pretty much everything in it's been polished a lot in Dark Souls but in essence it's the same gameplay.

Genocyber posted:

I wasn't around for it but I'm told a similar thing happened when Dks first came out, with people saying it was completely inferior to DeS. Pretty lol

To be fair I go back to playing Demons Souls now and then, I haven't touched the first Dark Souls since the second came out. I couldn't put my finger on why but I'm certainly more drawn to replay Demons than Dark.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Genocyber posted:

I find the same about Dks. Doing a playthrough of it now and it's ridiculous how awkward and lovely everything is compared to Dks2. All the animations just start and end suddenly and are very jerky, and everything you do takes forever. Not to mention being unable to roll cancel out of spells and gestures. It's kinda funny how you hear people complaining about the minor flaws in Dks2 a lot, but hardly anyone ever mentions the little quality of life things they added, like being able to roll out of gestures.

DS1 is carried a lot by it's boss design and level design, however if you look up the shear amount of stuff they cut out of the game or just never finished it makes you think how much better DS1 would have been if it wasn't pushed out to compete with all the other RPGs that were about to come out around it's release.

You are correct in that when DS1 came out their was a massive amount of angst about the fact it was a a downgrade in a few area's from Demon Souls (Mainly due to that whole unfinished business), but that quieted down when Dark Souls became fairly popular and came to PC. The most stupid complaint about Dark Souls 2 is the whole "You fight to many big men in armor" when Dark Souls 1 may have had cooler boss design but the actual boss fight's were questionable at best.

Bed of Chaos strikes me as a great example of just because something looks like a cool boss doesn't mean it will be a fun boss fight.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

I never thought I would agree this wholeheartedly with Genocyber, but here it is.

If you're going to play both Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2, don't play 2 first. I just can't go back to the first game because everything is so completely janky compared to 2, and Demon's Souls is even worse in some respects. Combined with the framerate, it just feels bad.
That said I still definitely like the world better in Dark Souls, the wonderful inter-connectivity, the lore, a few of the areas. But Dark Souls 2 is just a better game.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
You people are crazy, I jump between all three games all the time. The mechanics haven't changed nearly enough for it to be all that awkward to change games, barring the improved lock-on dodging that 2 has, but that's easy enough to get used to.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I did go back and play DkS1 again after beating DkS2 because I'd never seen the Artorias stuff (I'd played on PS3 around release and that DLC was released like two years later or something dumb like that) and you're being pretty harsh to the way that game plays. Undeservedly so, though it is definitely a slower game and the quality of life stuff in the sequel is much appreciated. Each of the three games has something it does better than the other two, with Demon's Souls it's the atmosphere (nothing has topped the Tower of Latria), Dark Souls has the best world, and Dark Souls 2 has the best mechanics. All of them are good games and very worth playing, though you should play them in order if you plan to play all of them.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Your Computer posted:

and Demon's Souls is even worse in some respects.

Amusingly enough I find the opposite to be true about Demon's. The animations still have the same kinda jank the Dks ones do, but overall it feels more like Dks2 than Dks (And when Dks2 first came out I was struck by how similar it feels to Demon's). Framerate doesn't bother me at all since as long as it's ~25-ish and smooth, I can acclimate to it in like half an hour.

Manatee Cannon posted:

and you're being pretty harsh to the way that game plays.

Not really. The animations are in Dks are just way way waaaay worse than Dks and make it a lot harder to play. They just begin and end so suddenly that it makes it very offputting.

Flytrap posted:

You people are crazy, I jump between all three games all the time. The mechanics haven't changed nearly enough for it to be all that awkward to change games, barring the improved lock-on dodging that 2 has, but that's easy enough to get used to.

That's the thing, it's the fact that they're so similar, but so different in the little things, that makes them awkward to transition between. I am super terrible at Dks PVE now that I'm used to Dks2.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 4, 2014

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

Amusingly enough I find the opposite to be true about Demon's. The animations still have the same kinda jank the Dks ones do, but overall it feels more like Dks2 than Dks (And when Dks2 first came out I was struck by how similar it feels to Demon's).

I think one of my main problems with it (and Dks as well) is the "instant forward momentum" roll. You just shoot off in the direction you're doding, it feels more like being shot out of a cannon than rolling. In Demon's you can even use it as a "jump" because it also defies gravity (allowing you to shoot off of ledges!)

Dark Souls 2 just feels so much more natural in its animations, it's like your character is actually rolling.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I think one of my main problems with it (and Dks as well) is the "instant forward momentum" roll. You just shoot off in the direction you're doding, it feels more like being shot out of a cannon than rolling. In Demon's you can even use it as a "jump" because it also defies gravity (allowing you to shoot off of ledges!)

That's pretty much how I feel about the roll, yeah. That + jumping also being on the same button has lead to many deaths for me from jumping when I mean to roll or vice versa.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Your Computer posted:

Dark Souls 2 just feels so much more natural in its animations, it's like your character is actually rolling.

It feels like that because they used motion capture, since Dark Souls has become very popular and their publisher is giving them a budget.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Lack of reverse roll in ds2 makes me sad but w the correct timing you can 2h or 1h out of a roll and do an unexpected attack

Glitches pwn

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Lack of reverse roll in ds2 makes me sad but w the correct timing you can 2h or 1h out of a roll and do an unexpected attack

Glitches pwn

IIRC you can do the reverse backstep thing in Dks2 by using the same sort of inputs for reverse rolling in Dks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
How much money have people spent on you genocyber? Its getting kind of ridiculous