Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Gasperkun posted:

Fragged Empire has about a day and a half left. It looks really great and if you haven't heard about it by now you might wanna check it out if you like sandbox RPGs, post-apocalypse stuff, space travel, etc. It's also gonna have minis combat with an alternate option for more "narrative" combat for those who don't like minis. Very high production values but also he's shipping from Australia so the price is a bit higher than what you might be accustomed to.

I've backed at PDF level for this, I love the art and it looks a solid idea. Shame I can't justify springing for the physical book - £40 is to rich for my blood for a single book.

I'm getting the PDF and the pdf expansion book though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Bucnasti posted:

If it was a regular Kickstarter or Indiegogo I would back it, but I don't care for the Patreon format. Hopefully they'll be successful and I can just buy the book when it's complete.

This is kind of something Patreon isn't intended for - Patreon's format encourages ongoing, endless production of content. They'll stop making money by completing the book. (And then presumably switch to making money from book sales, but that presupposes they'll actually want to stop their flow of guaranteed income.)

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Grey Hunter posted:

I've backed at PDF level for this, I love the art and it looks a solid idea. Shame I can't justify springing for the physical book - £40 is to rich for my blood for a single book.

I'm getting the PDF and the pdf expansion book though.

I'm in for the same. Assuming the playtest rules aren't a hot mess, I'm considering giving them a shot here, or if anyone else wants to run it, I'll gladly play.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Darksaber posted:

I'm in for the same. Assuming the playtest rules aren't a hot mess, I'm considering giving them a shot here, or if anyone else wants to run it, I'll gladly play.

I'd be up for trying them out.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
So I saw that this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/peternewland/wizard-dodgeball?ref=discovery

is now going for a physical release. Pitch in and make wizard dodgeball a reality!

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

Impermanent posted:

So I saw that this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/peternewland/wizard-dodgeball?ref=discovery

is now going for a physical release. Pitch in and make wizard dodgeball a reality!

Just wanted to say that the creator of this game is a good friend of mine and I helped playtest this. Great little 2-Player Ameritrash game. Good for a quick 20-30 minutes.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Dungeon Saga: The Dwarf King's Quest by Mantic, aka Dwarf King's Hold 4, is now live on kickstarter and already funded. CMON style pledge levels too, just one level, and one early bird (that I missed because time zones).

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Wow I really wanted this but unless there's a lot of stretch goals $100 is a little steep.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fenarisk posted:

Wow I really wanted this but unless there's a lot of stretch goals $100 is a little steep.

This is Mantic, you know there will be lots of stretch goals. It's already up to six additional minis, I would expect there to be nearer 50 by the end.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Jedit posted:

This is Mantic, you know there will be lots of stretch goals. It's already up to six additional minis, I would expect there to be nearer 50 by the end.

I kinda suspect there's going to be a bunch of addons, too, though.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

There almost has to be, since you're not going to reach stretch goals with new buy-ins alone.

I wonder if there's going to be an additional tier later, it seems silly to specify who gets the add-on when everybody gets the add-on.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

moths posted:

There almost has to be, since you're not going to reach stretch goals with new buy-ins alone.

I wonder if there's going to be an additional tier later, it seems silly to specify who gets the add-on when everybody gets the add-on.

I think they're maybe seeing how this one goes after Mars Attacks was less successful than they'd hoped due to its confusing structure. There's definitely meant to be a retailer only pledge level though.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm expecting that once they finish fleshing out the primary and advanced books with campaigns, tiles and bad guy minis, they'll open up new themed expansion boxes for additional money akin to Return of the Witchlord and Against the Ogre Horde from Heroquest - a dozen or so extra minis, 4 new tiles, and a new campaign book. They might offer some KS exclusive custom dice as well, seems like an easy way to raise a little revenue without having to include them in the final box too.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah I'm glad they're not going the MA route with the crazy option menus. I set some extra money aside for this one since dungeon crawls are my favorite tabletop.

As I was writing this I just got an update about the first buy-in, a pretty good chunk of Msntic undead for $30. I've already got them from KoW, but that's not too bad.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I can quickly see this one accelerating out of my budget at prices like that. Even if it's good value as minis go. There's a reason I don't play miniature-based wargames.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah, that would have been a better freebie - at least until the core box feels like a great deal.

The first MA and DBX buy ins were a bit crap, too.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Is there a reason DKQ doesn't include a gameplay preview? I would like one of these to feel like an adventure, not just move, kill, move, kill, deal with a trap, move.. And I didn't particularly care for SDE either.

What I think would really go a long way with one of these, though I have no experience with the system so maybe DKQ has it, is some continuity between campaigns. I remember being told that the Pathfinder card game has that and it makes or breaks the game based on whether or not you can expect to have the same crew for each game.

Also it's a shame all of these games end up with 5 players. I have a crew of 6 and it makes finding new and interesting board games to play downright impossible.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

signalnoise posted:

Also it's a shame all of these games end up with 5 players. I have a crew of 6 and it makes finding new and interesting board games to play downright impossible.
Zombicide supports up to like eight players. But I hear you - it's hard not to look at these games and realize that someone will be excluded. Maybe the Advanced rules will support more players (though I doubt it, based on the board size.)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

signalnoise posted:

Play a game of Diplomacy to cull the herd.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Say what you will about John Wick, but the man gets poo poo done.

I just got the tracking info for the hardcopy of Wield, which started funding in mid May and finished in late May. Of this year.

It started funding after most projects I backed, stopped funding. And it's being delivered just over 2 months after it funded.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/460966263/horrors-of-war-a-convenant-with-death

quote:

A collection of scenarios for the Call of Cthulhu role-playing game, set during the nightmare of the Great War, 1914-1918.

Pagan Publishing is a small, award-winning publisher of role-playing games, specializing in books and supplements for the Call of Cthulhu role-playing game.

Through this Kickstarter we intend bring a new series of Call of Cthulhu role-playing game books to life- Horrors of War!

No PDF option unfortunately, because John Crowe is a luddite who fears piracy.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

clockworkjoe posted:

No PDF option unfortunately, because John Crowe is a luddite who fears piracy.

You've got to be kidding me.

Anyway, yeah, I just got my tracking number for Wield as well. Should be arriving...tomorrow! Woo!

In other news, Tasty Minstrel just sent out another update with regards to their microgames. Basically the ship that held them pulled into port in Oakland and then just...sat there for a week. They didn't get any response from their contacts, but I guess the games are actually leaving the harbor today, so they've added an extra 10 days to delivery estimates. Sucks that they've hit another delay, but at least we're nearing actual delivery now.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Spincut posted:

You've got to be kidding me.

Anyway, yeah, I just got my tracking number for Wield as well. Should be arriving...tomorrow! Woo!

In other news, Tasty Minstrel just sent out another update with regards to their microgames. Basically the ship that held them pulled into port in Oakland and then just...sat there for a week. They didn't get any response from their contacts, but I guess the games are actually leaving the harbor today, so they've added an extra 10 days to delivery estimates. Sucks that they've hit another delay, but at least we're nearing actual delivery now.
Holy poo poo, my Wield + deck is coming today. I guess it took a while to get the tracking numbers out.

I feel sorta bad for TMG because they're missing gen con sales, but they got themselves into this gently caress-up, shipping delays or no.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

dwarf74 posted:

Holy poo poo, my Wield + deck is coming today. I guess it took a while to get the tracking numbers out.

I feel sorta bad for TMG because they're missing gen con sales, but they got themselves into this gently caress-up, shipping delays or no.

Yeah, I have to agree. They got themselves in too deep with too little planning and they're kind of paying the price for it now. I'm not really mad about it, though. It's only another week or two.

I got my first ever physical Kickstarter product a couple weeks ago: Province! I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet, though.

EDIT: Evil Hat has put up the Kickstarter for Designers & Dragons, a 4-book series on the history of roleplaying, starting in the 70s, and it has already funded. $25 gets you one volume (each of which covers a decade), and $85 gets you all four.

Spincut fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 4, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Designers & Dragons, the comprehensive history of the hobby, launched half a day early and has already funded. Backing even at the $1 level gets you volume 1 (the 70's) right away.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Does Dwarf King need to be played with a GM or is it entirely co-op?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
One player is the Necromancer.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

They've hinted at an AI deck, but nobody's seen how well that works in DZ yet.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I have some games that, if I got funding for them, could probably be released a lot quicker/with better quality. My problem is, the exact thing I want funding for (art & layout) is the thing that best attracts potential funders. Spitting out cool ideas only goes so far! Any advice on this?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Does Dwarf King need to be played with a GM or is it entirely co-op?

It's clearly a modern interpretation of HeroQuest/Advanced Heroquest/Warhammer Quest. Which makes me A) want it, because I love those games but also B) not want it because none of my friends have shown any interest in playing my copies of HQ/AHQ.

Also I am sort of burnt out on the generic fantasy thing. I'd be much more attracted if they invented new monsters and villains instead of retreading such thoroughly trodden ground.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Jon Joe posted:

I have some games that, if I got funding for them, could probably be released a lot quicker/with better quality. My problem is, the exact thing I want funding for (art & layout) is the thing that best attracts potential funders. Spitting out cool ideas only goes so far! Any advice on this?

If you can, get just enough art for the kickstarter, one good color piece and a couple of black and white will get you a long ways. You don't need to illustrate the entire game to get backers, you just need enough to get them excited and open their wallets.

It's going to be tough if you have zero budget. But even a small budget can get you something, as long as you're willing to compromise.

Also work on one KS at a time, use the success from one to bootstrap the next one.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Jon Joe posted:

My problem is, the exact thing I want funding for (art & layout) is the thing that best attracts potential funders.

Do you have an artist and layout person in mind? It might be worth commissioning him or her to do a spread or sample pages. Yeah you'll be paying up front, but it'll almost certainly be worth it.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Also is there a thread with general do & don't kickstarter advice?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Evil Mastermind posted:

Designers & Dragons, the comprehensive history of the hobby, launched half a day early and has already funded. Backing even at the $1 level gets you volume 1 (the 70's) right away.

I will still most likely back this, but there is no way it can surpass Peterson's work due to his primary source access if nothing else:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0615642047?pc_redir=1407011145&robot_redir=1

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Also I am sort of burnt out on the generic fantasy thing. I'd be much more attracted if they invented new monsters and villains instead of retreading such thoroughly trodden ground.

I'd rather they retrod this ground than made Kingdom Death 2.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
It's not like those are the only two options.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

That is one hell of a gun-to-the-head scenario, though.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Leperflesh posted:

It's clearly a modern interpretation of HeroQuest/Advanced Heroquest/Warhammer Quest. Which makes me A) want it, because I love those games but also B) not want it because none of my friends have shown any interest in playing my copies of HQ/AHQ.

I'm backing it because I loved Heroquest when I was a kid but was too young to really get much out of it so this game will allow me to indulge my nostalgia without trying to actually find a copy of Heroquest.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

cyberia posted:

I'm backing it because I loved Heroquest when I was a kid but was too young to really get much out of it so this game will allow me to indulge my nostalgia without trying to actually find a copy of Heroquest.

I was the same, but then I saw the contents and my enthusiasm dropped. Something about the generic undead monsters just aren't doing it for me, I was expecting a wider range of creature types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I was the same, but then I saw the contents and my enthusiasm dropped. Something about the generic undead monsters just aren't doing it for me, I was expecting a wider range of creature types.

There's a couple of expansions set for this one as later stretches I'm sure, but not sure what monsters they'll have in them. I think they're aiming for other types of creatures and tiles in future editions, they've made it clear in the lead up to this that the name change to "Dungeon Saga" meant they have many more sagas to tell, not just the Dwarf King and his struggles against the necromancer. I'm half expecting them to add more of the extras packs of Kings of War minis so people have more monsters to make use of the advanced rules, as they have stat lines for every fantasy mini they make - $25 for a mix of different Orcs and Goblins, Trolls and Ogres, Abyssal Dwarves, Twilight Kin, other kinds of undead, etc

It's all set in the Mantica universe of Kings of War so it needs to match the fluff it's expanding, but like most fantasy games it's their own take on Tolkien so yeah, not a lot of totally original and out of the box monsters. Still, better than a Wet Nurse right??

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Aug 5, 2014

• Locked thread