Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

CheeseFactory posted:

How many of the $500 gold mechs did they sell?

Enough that they put out an announcement about only having 50 left or some poo poo.

Edit because sane people will have trouble with the above: Yes, they literally put out a warning that they were down to limited numbers of things that exist as nothing more than lines of loving code in a loving video game.

Honestly just typing that makes me fear I'll contract cancer.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

armchairyoda posted:

robo-honoure.

Best Honoure.

e I did another duel private match and it was fun again. Still no dollars spent.

TeeMerk fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 4, 2014

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
They "sold out" on gold Timberwolves.

Anita Dickinme fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 4, 2014

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

UoI posted:

They "sold out" on gold Timberwolves.

Digital goods only have so much shelf life. :downs:

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
If I register here and don't pay a dime do these folks consider me retained?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

TeeMerk posted:

If I register here and don't pay a dime do these folks consider me retained?

CIG don't need to worry about retention rates as people have given them fifty million dollars already. And they gave most of that before there was anything playable.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Raised by Hamsters posted:

On Caustic Valley, the first alpha strike sets you to red, and, of course, the second explodes you. But! You can also explode yourself in about 3 seconds by firing a single Alpha strike, overriding the shutdown, and continuing to move forward. No need to fire the second volley. Incidentally after you fire that first alpha strike, if you let the Mech rest until it powers up on its own, it will take 31 seconds of downtime. I actually tested that twice, using a stopwatch, because I didn't believe the number I got the first time.

To be totally fair, this pretty much mirrors tabletop as well. It's one of the few mechs that can self immolate (okay, really it would just probably shut you down, gently caress your targeting, and potentially kill the pilot in TT) pretty much instantly. The Nova was basically designed to have a redundant arm, you don't ever really want to fire more than 6-8 at a time.

31 seconds is hilarious, though, holy poo poo. That's dumb as gently caress, and they really need to rebalance the heatscale. Along with everything else.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Reminder that one of the stated purposes of heat scale was to stop future clan mechs from being overpowered. Your nova is supposed to be broken. Hooray.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Fil5000 posted:

Reminder that one of the stated purposes of heat scale was to stop future clan mechs from being overpowered. Your nova is supposed to be broken. Hooray.

Some days I feel like they need to just do something drastic to Gauss and then get rid of ghost heat and this upcoming desync thing entirely. They're never gonna be able to balance a gun that's high damage, travels fast, and generates no heat. Especially the lighter Clan versions.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

They could just make it take ~10 seconds between shots.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Well because you bastards had to go and bring this up again, I've made myself "retained". Still have some funbucks left from my Founders package, so I bought a Nova-Prime. I knew ghost heat would gently caress it over entirely, but I wanted to see how bad.

With the default load out on Forest Colony, a single alpha strike while running will set your CT to orange. The second one makes you explode.

On Caustic Valley, the first alpha strike sets you to red, and, of course, the second explodes you. But! You can also explode yourself in about 3 seconds by firing a single Alpha strike, overriding the shutdown, and continuing to move forward. No need to fire the second volley. Incidentally after you fire that first alpha strike, if you let the Mech rest until it powers up on its own, it will take 31 seconds of downtime. I actually tested that twice, using a stopwatch, because I didn't believe the number I got the first time.

Oh well, time go stomp around until I get bored with this again. The Nova seems to actually make a pretty mean little bastard, 4 cER-Mediums in each arm gives a good one-two punch. I also filled it in with 12 cER smalls, with memories of the old Lunchback or whatever we called that Hunchback variant. Couldn't make this thing go fast enough though, and apparently you can't change out the clan engines? Who knows. UI 2.0 is confusing as poo poo. How the hell did they manage to make much of the interface worse than it was in the first place?

Fil5000 has a video of one of the trial mechs on caustic where, if you shut down by the caldera on caustic valley, you would never start back up ever again.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Aesis posted:

Clan mediums: Bring lots of weapons and pew pew like they're heavies. Warhawk is pretty good afaik.

The Warhawk is an Assault `Mech. If it looks like a medium to you, that tells me all I need to know about PGI's current level of competence.

Chronojam posted:

Fil5000 has a video of one of the trial mechs on caustic where, if you shut down by the caldera on caustic valley, you would never start back up ever again.

Ahh, the stock Dragon. 60 tons, 10 single heat sinks. You will always be the worst machine of 3025.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Those 5Ns were horrendous. 25 rounds of UAC ammo, 2 MLs and an LRM launcher and it was still too hot on caustic. I really hope the kerensky night stuff played some part in the move away from stock mechs as trials because gently caress 95% of stock mechs in mwo.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

The 5N was designed for Battletech players to gun down en masse while fighting Kurita.

The fact that new players had to ride around in an undergunned, underarmored, undersinked deathtrap was terrible, but then again, :pgi:.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

armchairyoda posted:

Somebody took that seriously as a design write-up.

Not to ruin the joke, but: http://www.snopes.com/humor/jokes/autos.asp

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

From the thread I take it that the :pgi: have no vision, otherwise they would have pulled an Earthsiege 2 and added $1000 aircraft ($1999.99 in gold) a long time ago. Just think of all the ghost heat magic and TT-true ammo count joy going on when you need rapid fire vs. fast movers. They're going to love balancing that while inventing ways to prevent the flyers from leaving the maps.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

SelenicMartian posted:

From the thread I take it that the :pgi: have no vision, otherwise they would have pulled an Earthsiege 2 and added $1000 aircraft ($1999.99 in gold) a long time ago. Just think of all the ghost heat magic and TT-true ammo count joy going on when you need rapid fire vs. fast movers. They're going to love balancing that while inventing ways to prevent the flyers from leaving the maps.

That's easy just add a collider cube (I think even CryEngine has something like this) to the map. And make the plane do a 180 when it collides with the invisible walls. Just make sure to not comment this ingame or in your not existing manual.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Warhawk is an Assault `Mech. If it looks like a medium to you, that tells me all I need to know about PGI's current level of competence.

They're pretty massive, I don't think anyone paying attention would mistake it for a medium. It's almost as big as a Dire Wolf. Both are kinda squat looking because of the boxy design and width, but they're still huge machines.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

The Gate posted:

Some days I feel like they need to just do something drastic to Gauss and then get rid of ghost heat and this upcoming desync thing entirely. They're never gonna be able to balance a gun that's high damage, travels fast, and generates no heat. Especially the lighter Clan versions.

Ardlen posted:

They could just make it take ~10 seconds between shots.

There's nothing at all fancy or complicated about balancing sniper weapons. You just plain make them do less dps than short range weapons, usually by making them fire quite slowly to punish misses/emphasize skill. All this ghost heat and de-synchronized firing bullshit is because they're literally unable to comprehend this single fact.

A weapon that does pinpoint long range damage must do (much) less dps than a short range or a rapid fire weapon. That is all.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I'm sorry but the quake 3 railgun :words:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Yeah gwaihir you are out of line go sit in the corner

(Paraphrasing actual PGI remarks)

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Oh god, this talk about Trial mech's reminds me when me and my team went all Trial Hunchback 4J's for funzies, that thing was a terrible build.

A single ton of LRM ammo on a mech built on having two LRM-10's is not acceptable at all, I'm amazed we managed to win against a full team of not-HBK-4J's considering that the thing barely had any heatsinks for the lasers, thank god we were on the forest map with all that water.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Koorisch posted:

Oh god, this talk about Trial mech's reminds me when me and my team went all Trial Hunchback 4J's for funzies, that thing was a terrible build.

A single ton of LRM ammo on a mech built on having two LRM-10's is not acceptable at all, I'm amazed we managed to win against a full team of not-HBK-4J's considering that the thing barely had any heatsinks for the lasers, thank god we were on the forest map with all that water.

God, I remember that round. We had no business winning anything in those things.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

God, I remember that round. We had no business winning anything in those things.

It's actually a bit sad in a way, the pubbies couldn't even win with those odds in their favor because those scrapheaps were absurdly bad.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Koorisch posted:

It's actually a bit sad in a way, the pubbies couldn't even win with those odds in their favor because those scrapheaps were absurdly bad.

Teamwork has always ruined MWO.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Teamwork has always ruined MWO.

A rare sighting of Mighty Dicktron with his original name intact.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Heavy Gear Assault really is a thing guys. Don't be not excited, yet! Thanks for all who got me referrals. I now have two closed beta keys. If 11 more people get me a referral I will give the other three away.

http://www.heavygear.com/register?ref=3ca731ae

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Isn't Heavy Gear Assault just an arena shooter?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

pixelbaron posted:

Isn't Heavy Gear Assault just an arena shooter?

Isn't MWO? :smugdog:

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Yeah, that's what I am saying.

Do we really need another one

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

pixelbaron posted:

Well, considering what a turd MWO has become maybe we do need another one.

Although that depends on how smart the developers are and if they don't piss people off with dumb poo poo like :pgi:

:e although it is more like Armored Core or Hawken in it's style so it's not quite the same I guess, not as big and stompy robots.

Koorisch fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 5, 2014

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

pixelbaron posted:

From what they say the initial game mode will be arena deathmatch and they'll be making new modes as they go along. I have no faith anymore in big stompy robots. However, I want HGA to be good.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
I have no faith or hope or positive thoughts for robot games either after PGI.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I'll probably try to play some HG2 online soon. I wish Exteel never went offline. I miss that game, too. gently caress me all robot games are DOOMED.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Can I spend 500 USD on a gold heavy gear Y/N?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

Can I spend 500 USD on a gold heavy gear Y/N?

Not yet.

Just, uh, read this:

What is the release plan for Heavy Gear Assault?

The Heavy Gear Assault development team plans to release HGA in the form of modules. Heavy Gear Assault will release in a series of modules, culminating with the launch of the Heavy Gear persistent universe with episodic single player warfare. Anticipated release dates for these modules are currently being finalized. However, the first module to be released is the Battle Module, which is planned for release by Q2 2014.
What does the Battle Module contain?

First and foremost, the Battle Module consists of the core gameplay mechanic. All of the major systems and sub-systems will be introduced which are necessary for core gameplay such as the movement, inventory, damage, & weapons systems. Our Community Warfare tools will also be introduced such as our community lobby system, our basic match making system, and our dedicated server system all supporting a certain level of world persistence. The Battle Module will feature our first world codenamed “Hydro” as well as our finest selection of Gears and Striders available at the time of release. Our focus is not on content with this module but rather mechanic and balancing.
What other Modules are planned?

We have many modules planned before final release of the game. Descriptions of these modules will be updated here over time. Right now you can look forward to seeing the Black Market Module – this is where we plan to introduce various aspects of HGA’s meta-game including the Black Market, Economy System, Arena Clowns, various Game Types, and an integrated world persistence. The Gear Bay Module – this is where we introduce complete control over the look and feel of your Gears, Striders, and Pilots and yes even your very own corner of the Gear Bay. Want to make your Gear look like a sports car? No problem. Want to make your Gear look like a WWII tank? No problem. The Weapons & Equipment Module – this is where we introduce a plethora of weapons from all weapons classes and an assortment of equipment in the Heavy Gear universe. The Intelligence Module – this is where we introduce our Intelligence and CPU systems. The Corporate Module – this is where we plan to introduce the concept of corporate sponsors and why they are soooo important to your success as a player in HGA. Over the course of the development cycle we may decide to roll together or split apart modules depending on the amount of time spent on particular features.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't know about you guys but I for one am really looking to forward to Arena Clowns.

Other than that the above post basically convinced me to never bother looking into Heavy Gear.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Kazvall posted:

What is the release plan for Heavy Gear Assault?

The Heavy Gear Assault development team plans to release HGA in the form of modules. Heavy Gear Assault will release in a series of modules, culminating with the launch of the Heavy Gear persistent universe with episodic single player warfare. Anticipated release dates for these modules are currently being finalized. However, the first module to be released is the Battle Module, which is planned for release by Q2 2014.
What does the Battle Module contain?

First and foremost, the Battle Module consists of the core gameplay mechanic. All of the major systems and sub-systems will be introduced which are necessary for core gameplay such as the movement, inventory, damage, & weapons systems. Our Community Warfare tools will also be introduced such as our community lobby system, our basic match making system, and our dedicated server system all supporting a certain level of world persistence. The Battle Module will feature our first world codenamed “Hydro” as well as our finest selection of Gears and Striders available at the time of release. Our focus is not on content with this module but rather mechanic and balancing.
What other Modules are planned?

Literally shaking over here

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Whenever a developer uses "module" to describe a major part of the game, it's a shitshow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

pixelbaron posted:

Literally shaking over here

yes, this is why I'll never spend money on this poo poo and will be convinced it's terrible until I eventually try it because I have some closed beta keys

• Locked thread