Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

Is this what SMG does?

SMG watches the films that he seeks to critique, which is a fine practice that I heartily recommend to Jamesman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Vermain posted:

SMG watches the films that he seeks to critique, which is a fine practice that I heartily recommend to Jamesman.

Except for all the times he doesn't and just reviews the movies based on the trailer. Which he has done, and admitted to having done.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

In the 2012 CGI animated series, April is a 16 year old girl who Shredder eventually trains to be a kunoichi. This is, self-evidently, a bad thing because Michael Bay's shame. No wait, he wasn't involved in that project.

Or was he? I just read reviews.

e: SMG consistently point out at the time that he was merely making predictions based on the trailer, which he (after viewing) pointed out were correct.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Amusingly enough for this conversation the Avengers was one of the movies he started reviewing before ever seeing it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Boogaleeboo posted:

Amusingly enough for this conversation the Avengers was one of the movies he started reviewing before ever seeing it.

To be fair, that ugly-rear end shot of Thor and Captain America fighting on the Seinfeld street was aaallll over the ads.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Boogaleeboo posted:

Here's the thing about that, and about all of this stuff whenever it comes up - he wasn't the only one saying any of it, nor was he the first.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The new turtles are a product of artificial insemination, the old ones were a Mistakes into Miracles accident.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I didn't realize so many people were going to care so much about TMNT. I only intended to make a passing comment, and it got dragged out because people got upset and I felt the need to explain my opinion. Sorry.

Here's the review I read.

If you wanna talk about something else now, we can talk about rumors of Sony planning a Spider-Man spinoff with a female lead character.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

"This shot, in the trailer, is a bad shot."
"But how can you tell it's bad? You haven't seen the movie!"

"This taste-tester of cheese is stale."
"Maybe it's SUPPOSED to be stale! You wouldn't know would you, you fucker? Buy the whole cheese and find out!"

Deciding what a film is about based on its trailer and if it's going to be good is something we all do whenever we watch a trailer. That is why we watch them.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hbomberguy posted:

e: SMG consistently point out at the time that he was merely making predictions based on the trailer, which he (after viewing) pointed out were correct.

So he went into a movie expecting to find certain preconceived notions in it and then found them? As if he was looking specifically for things to back up the ideas he had already formed, and wasn't ACTUALLY looking at the film from a neutral place? I'm shocked this happened.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Jamesman posted:

If you wanna talk about something else now, we can talk about rumors of Sony planning a Spider-Man spinoff with a female lead character.

It really says something that the Spider-Man plans look like a cynical cash-grab compared to the Marvel movies.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Jamesman posted:

I didn't realize so many people were going to care so much about TMNT. I only intended to make a passing comment, and it got dragged out because people got upset and I felt the need to explain my opinion. Sorry.

None of this review talks about the movie or why it's good or bad. It just impotently rages about the fact no one is Japanese, things have been updated and NOT MY CHILDHOOD.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Jamesman posted:

They did a great job with Gwen in both ASM movies so I'm all for this.

Edit: I hope it's Golden Oldie.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 4, 2014

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jamesman posted:

This is like "Why did they change things!?!?!?": The Review. I read through the three "Top Critics" reviews on RT, and while none of them were super positive about the movie, they had a lot better criticism than "This movie was not made by fans of Ninja Turtles".

Jamesman posted:

I mean, Sony at this point is just gonna throw some poo poo at the wall because "gently caress it", so why not have a female-led superhero movie? Marvel Studios and WB both seem to be allergic to the idea.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Hbomberguy posted:

"This shot, in the trailer, is a bad shot."
"But how can you tell it's bad? You haven't seen the movie!"

"This taste-tester of cheese is stale."
"Maybe it's SUPPOSED to be stale! You wouldn't know would you, you fucker? Buy the whole cheese and find out!"

Deciding what a film is about based on its trailer and if it's going to be good is something we all do whenever we watch a trailer. That is why we watch them.

No, I'm sorry. You're not allowed to form opinions on if you'd like to watch a movie or not until after you've watched the movie, apparently.

weekly font posted:

None of this review talks about the movie or why it's good or bad. It just impotently rages about the fact no one is Japanese, things have been updated and NOT MY CHILDHOOD.

Yoshifan823 posted:

This is like "Why did they change things!?!?!?": The Review. I read through the three "Top Critics" reviews on RT, and while none of them were super positive about the movie, they had a lot better criticism than "This movie was not made by fans of Ninja Turtles".

See, I didn't read it like that. Right off the bat, the review acknowledged all the different interpretations, and he doesn't seem to be looking to the one he's most familiar with to be shown on screen. When he comments on things that bother him in the movie, he's not dwelling on the fact that it's different. He's focusing on why it doesn't really make sense as a story. That's how I took the review, at least.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 4, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TheJoker138 posted:

So he went into a movie expecting to find certain preconceived notions in it and then found them?

What was different in the film?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TheJoker138 posted:

Except for all the times he doesn't and just reviews the movies based on the trailer. Which he has done, and admitted to having done.

A trailer is still closer to the actual film than a review though.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Here's the thing about that, and about all of this stuff whenever it comes up - he wasn't the only one saying any of it, nor was he the first.

I don't give a gently caress, I just like to imagine the reason he's doing the shot by shot "This is bad" run down of the Avengers right now is this is literally the first time he's seen the movie.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Jamesman posted:

No, I'm sorry. You're not allowed to form opinions on if you'd like to watch a movie or not until after you've watched the movie, apparently.

Waaaaaah my childhood is like the shittiest opinion to have.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Boogaleeboo posted:

I don't give a gently caress, I just like to imagine the reason he's doing the shot by shot "This is bad" run down of the Avengers right now is this is literally the first time he's seen the movie.

Like I say, I'm just waiting for one I disagree with.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

computer parts posted:

A trailer is still closer to the actual film than a review though.

Please write a review of The Grey based only on the trailer.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm shocked this happened.

I'm shocked that you are still on your weirdo hate crusade against SMg.

No wait, the opposite of this.

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I'm writing a pub film trivia quiz. If you've got a cinema question you'd like to see a drunk crowd tackle let me know and I'll put it in.
I did this a few months ago. As there's a Doctor Who TV film, you can ask how many actors have played him. Teams will be falling over each other to give the most knowledgeable/totally nerdy answer. Stick to the most obvious answer for maximum aggro.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I'll admit, SMG has swayed me into agreeing that the Avengers is shot very poorly, but I can't help but love it anyways. I mostly ignore his posts, because at this point it just seems like he wants to spoil something people like (Here's your lovely Avengers screenshot of the day!) because he can't stand that people like something he doesn't - but he's mostly harmless.

The Avengers was fun, exciting, and despite its flaws, is still my favorite of the series aside from the new GotG, which I'm still riding high on.

Also, the Avengers Captain America suit is still the best and you're all crazy. :colbert:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

weekly font posted:

Waaaaaah my childhood is like the shittiest opinion to have.

It's a good thing that's not what's happening here, then.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Jamesman posted:

It's a good thing that's not what's happening here, then.

Oh sorry. It's plot decisions. About characters that dance with rappers and go back in time.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TheJoker138 posted:

Please write a review of The Grey based only on the trailer.

The central image in the the trailer for The Grey (since they repeat it) is Liam Neeson's wife being snatched away from him in a dream and waking up in airplane wreckage. From this I know this is a film about grief, but that's cheating if you know the relevance to the real life Liam Neeson.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Jamesman posted:

There's a difference between seeing a trailer and reading someone else's review of the film, although both are equally valid means of deciding if a film is for you. (e: If you trust the critic?)

I wouldn't personally criticise the film itself if I hadn't seen it, disparaging it or whatever.

TheJoker138 posted:

So he went into a movie expecting to find certain preconceived notions in it and then found them? As if he was looking specifically for things to back up the ideas he had already formed, and wasn't ACTUALLY looking at the film from a neutral place? I'm shocked this happened.

Are you claiming now that the trailer for Sucker Punch does not accurately represent the finished product, or that trailers generally don't? Like, this isn't a conspiracy. Films tend to have shots and stories in them that also appeared in some form in the trailer, and a lot of the stuff that wasn't can be intuited from trailers in forming an opinion about whether you'll see it and what to expect. Again, that's why they're made. That's what they taught you in film school.

They presumably also taught you to put two and two together. The film being similar to, or matching expectations created by, the trailer is not a coincidence. I can see two shots in a trailer of the focal characters in locations A and B and intuit that they at some point journeyed between those two places. I could be wrong, but discovering that I was right isn't some feat of genius or prejudice. It is trailers and the human mind working in tandem.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Who could possibly care?

This but about random shots from the Avengturds 2 years after it came out.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DNS posted:

I find it kinda funny; find it's kinda sad.

I don't actually care about either, but I have no idea why April O'Neil having Turtles for pets is supposed to be self evidently bad. That's what I'm saying.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

That review taught me that Splinter uses tail based kung fu, but this is bad instead of awesome because you can't learn that in a book.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Movies will occasionally use marketing material to subvert expectations. Think Spring Breakers.

Summer Action Blockbuster X is showing you exactly what you're going to get.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

DNS posted:

I think it's actually been a good excercise in studying composition, to the point where someone should start a thread just for those types of discussion and expand it to be about any movie and include both good and bad shots. Although I think the shot of Cap in midair was actually a good one and this Thor one is just kind of mediocre rather than atrocious.

Jamesman, the review puts a negative spin on everything through it's language. While you might now know some specific events that occur in the film, we know very little about the presentation of these events. The reviewer seems preoccupied with the characters hitting on April. This reeks to me of the reviewers own personal hang ups getting in the way of an honest assessment. But whatever, I'm with you in that I don't actually want to go see the movie.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

weekly font posted:

Oh sorry. It's plot decisions. About characters that dance with rappers and go back in time.

So here's what I've gotten so far.

Plot points presented in reviews for the new TMNT movie seem to be badly done to me. People fall back on "You only hate it because it's different from your childhood!" as their excuse. Since they have nothing to back that up with, nor should they, since it's completely bullshit, they now have to rely on "Who loving cares it's all stupid anyway!"

It's you. You care. You care so much.

Maybe I'm wrong about TMNT and it'll be completely awesome. I'll be wrong, but you'll still be the one who cares.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

weekly font posted:

Movies will occasionally use marketing material to subvert expectations. Think Spring Breakers.

Nice avatar by the way.

Messing with people's expectations in marketing campaigns is cool precisely because it reminds us how much we take what they depict for given. But, that is the practice. Being pleasantly surprised is cool though, Crank's trailer was if I recall very generic, and in retrospect is clearly the work of someone trying desperately to make it seem like it wasn't insane. It made the resulting film an amazing experience.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Jamesman posted:

It's you. You care. You care so much.

Maybe I'm wrong about TMNT and it'll be completely awesome. I'll be wrong, but you'll still be the one who cares.

:pusheen:

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

I find it kinda funny; find it's kinda sad.

I don't actually care about either, but I have no idea why April O'Neil having Turtles for pets is supposed to be self evidently bad. That's what I'm saying.

Yeah I hear you. I don't get it either. I mean nothing about it sounds good either but it's a little late in the game for pearl clutching reactions.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
I want to watch her gently caress a turtle.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

General Ironicus posted:

I want to watch her gently caress a turtle.

You're on the internet right this second. The world is yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

weekly font posted:

You're on the internet right this second. The world is yours.

This Ain't TMNT (Unless You Mean Turtle Men, Naked, Thrusting)

• Locked thread