Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Hirayuki posted:

I would think you don't want to be too far away from your vehicle when you unlock it, lest some uninvited passengers sneak in before you get there.

Lifehack: Need a ride somewhere but don't have a car? Hang out in a parking lot and look for someone smugly holding a keyfob to their face. Get to their car before them and duck down in the back seat. Free transpo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Karma Monkey posted:

Uh, can someone please explain this one?

This one actually works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jACSPipPSE

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

This one has the explanation from a British scientist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uqf71muwWc

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

FutonForensic posted:

I guess it's that time again where this video gets posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cppOojKBNko

I saw the video length and thought it would be a joke, but no, they're just making Doritos consomme. Ugh.

Though that reminded me, HowToBasic would be good for this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHnt56NewQs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0OrZobhSQE

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

axolotl farmer posted:

This one has the explanation from a British scientist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uqf71muwWc

So British people have skulls full of water? Explains a lot. Just kidding! That's pretty cool. Still, not sure I need to unlock my car from half a mile away unless chased by zombies. Might be a cool trick to mess with kids. "I'm unlocking the car with the POWER OF MY MIND!"

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

I think this one is actually pretty neat.

This is good up until you figure out you can't see your dashboard at lights and the cops pull you over and book you for it.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Wanamingo posted:

I saw the video length and thought it would be a joke, but no, they're just making Doritos consomme. Ugh.

Though that reminded me, HowToBasic would be good for this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHnt56NewQs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0OrZobhSQE

I remember when this guy first started making videos they were all very innocuous and pretty boring, but then you actually got to see a perceivable descent into madness.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Drone_Fragger posted:

This is good up until you figure out you can't see your dashboard at lights and the cops pull you over and book you for it.

What? Why wouldn't you see your dashboard? The post its are behind the dashboard. You can still see all the gauges etc just fine.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

you're putting a piece of coloured paper between the lights in your dashboard and you. If you can't read your dashboard because of this regardless of how pretty it looks it isn't safe.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

The lights are on in the second picture. You see the dash just fine.
The problem with it, is that it's incredibly tacky and stupid.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'm also reasonably sure that that mask is a student design project and not something real. If it is real I doubt that it would work very well, if at all.

All energy has to come from somewhere. For comparison's sake, here is a device that you can crank to produce power for your phone. According to those specs, one minute of cranking at 110RPM (two turns a second -- pretty fast) makes enough power for a one-minute phone call.

http://www.amazon.com/NXG-Technology-NX-POWER-2600-CRANK-Hand-Cranked-Smartphones/dp/B00EIM8D28

So, you just have to extract the same amount of energy from your breath. Seal the mask around your face and put a positive-displacement pump inside so that you can't inhale or exhale without spinning the fan. Gear the fan down to a similar level as the hand crank and I'll bet you couldn't even make it turn without blowing so hard you pop your eyes out of your head.

It's completely impossible.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Karma Monkey posted:

Lifehack: Need a ride somewhere but don't have a car? Hang out in a parking lot and look for someone smugly holding a keyfob to their face. Get to their car before them and duck down in the back seat. Free transpo!

Next level: Need to get somewhere, but don't have a car? Beat a person up and steal their keys!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Karma Monkey posted:

So British people have skulls full of water? Explains a lot. Just kidding! That's pretty cool. Still, not sure I need to unlock my car from half a mile away unless chased by zombies. Might be a cool trick to mess with kids. "I'm unlocking the car with the POWER OF MY MIND!"

I think it might be more useful if you forgot to lock it and you've already walked away. :ssh:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

stratdax posted:

The lights are on in the second picture. You see the dash just fine.

Not to mention how much time/work is involved taking apart the dash to get the gauge cluster out, then taking the gauge cluster apart just to put in a bunch of paper covered in intentionally weak glue that will probably fall off the first time the car gets parked in the sun. All so that you can make your car look like it was designed for a 5 year old.

...and this assumes that the bulbs in your particular car are bright enough to transmit sufficient light through paper that wasn't meant to be used as a light filter or that it won't interact badly (i.e. looking ugly or blocking all the remaining light) with the filter that's already in most gauge clusters to make the numbers the factory color.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Cat Hatter posted:

Not to mention how much time/work is involved taking apart the dash to get the gauge cluster out, then taking the gauge cluster apart just to put in a bunch of paper covered in intentionally weak glue that will probably fall off the first time the car gets parked in the sun. All so that you can make your car look like it was designed for a 5 year old.

...and this assumes that the bulbs in your particular car are bright enough to transmit sufficient light through paper that wasn't meant to be used as a light filter or that it won't interact badly (i.e. looking ugly or blocking all the remaining light) with the filter that's already in most gauge clusters to make the numbers the factory color.

Or just maybe light your dash on fire. Heck this can happen just from putting in higher wattage bulbs.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

pik_d posted:

I think it might be more useful if you forgot to lock it and you've already walked away. :ssh:

True enough. Or if you forgot where you parked and are finding it by light and sound. I guess this one is useful. I was just amused by how dumb it looks to hold your keys to your chin. I think holding up a gallon jug of water and pointing your keys at it like a hostage at gunpoint looks cooler. :c00lbert:

Lifehack: Always carry a gallon of water on your keychain.

Cat Hatter posted:

Yea, the major dissuasion for me is I can't be assed to go through that much effort for that result. Not to mention heat and light degrade colored paper horribly. It'll look "cool" for how long before it turns to poo poo? My scientific evaluation: Not very long at all.

rock rock posted:

Or just maybe light your dash on fire. Heck this can happen just from putting in higher wattage bulbs.

Lifehack: Fire extinguishers make great gifts for DIYers!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

twistedmentat posted:

Wait, whats the point of this? Disposable razors come with handles.

If you're not shaving so hard the handle breaks, you're life hacking wrong.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Cat Hatter posted:

For what it's worth, that's a dash from a Scion TC. The console pops open and it's 4 screws to remove the faceplate. The job there is done in about ~15 minutes if you're clumsy/detailed. I haven't done this, but I was inspecting my LEDs to see what I would need to do to swap out this horrid amber coloring with something better.

Mr. Beefhead
May 8, 2003

I can make beans into peas.

Karma Monkey posted:

Yea, the major dissuasion for me is I can't be assed to go through that much effort for that result. Not to mention heat and light degrade colored paper horribly. It'll look "cool" for how long before it turns to poo poo? My scientific evaluation: Not very long at all.

FWIW, a buddy of mine used some crinkly tissue paper stuff he got from a scrapbooking store in this manner to turn the amber lights in his Nissan blue. close to five years later, it still looks good, just like it did the day he did it.

stratdax posted:

One could argue that cars in general are already incredibly tacky and stupid looking. At least this adds some fun to things.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

This was the first episode I saw of the series and I've rarely laughed as hard as I did at a grown man crying and saying "You hosed up, Steve! You hosed up!"

What magical show is this?

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Morpheus posted:

Yeah I have no idea why people think there'd be a mode to give you free soda, like, if the maintenance guy wanted free soda he'd take out his key, open the drat thing, and take some soda.

At the hotel I worked, the soda machine guy would use tokens to test the machine as the coin deposit is kind of a vital part of it. He'd also leave me some tokens when we chatted and had coffee once. Godspeed soda machine guy.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

rock rock posted:

Then use theatre gels, they'd be better to use anyway since that's exactly what they're made for.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Anatharon posted:

What magical show is this?

Doomsday Preppers. Watch it, it's magical. Doubly so because when local wildfire teams go out on big fires the first thing they see is a bunch of crazies like this screaming, ":qq: My complex is two clicks to the east! Save my house, government funded teams! :qq:"

Somehow things like lightning strike fires don't factor into these guys' plans.

Razorwired has a new favorite as of 18:50 on Aug 5, 2014

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Lifehack: Instead of looking for a job that you find fulfilling, continue half-assing the job you hate until you and your loved ones are consumed in a black miasma of your self-loathing.

Advanced Lifehack: Don't save any money from your dead-end job for any attempts at future happiness, and spend it all on Oreos (or chocolate wafers) and weed. This will leave you without the resources to better yourself while giving you an excuse to continue consuming cookies while stoned.

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana

BlueGrot posted:

At the hotel I worked, the soda machine guy would use tokens to test the machine as the coin deposit is kind of a vital part of it. He'd also leave me some tokens when we chatted and had coffee once. Godspeed soda machine guy.

Lifehack: Be the soda machine guy, get free soda.

Of course, the company I work for doesn't use tokens, I just open the machine up with my keys.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

LawfulWaffle posted:

Lifehack: Instead of looking for a job that you find fulfilling, continue half-assing the job you hate until you and your loved ones are consumed in a black miasma of your self-loathing.

Advanced Lifehack: Don't save any money from your dead-end job for any attempts at future happiness, and spend it all on Oreos (or chocolate wafers) and weed. This will leave you without the resources to better yourself while giving you an excuse to continue consuming cookies while stoned.

Long-term Lifehack: Miserable people live longer, so out-live the rest of your family on the brink of suicide for the next 100 years, and hope to weasel your way into a few wills along the way! Cheerful millionaire charity organizers are the most likely to die young from lose a courageous 8-year battle with recto-spinal ebola, so stay on their good side!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

this owns

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Excuse me, this is the thread for stupid life hacks. Post the Wu-Tang pizza where it actually belongs, tia.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

is this the fabled wu-tang secret?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

DoctorWhat posted:

Well if it is, it's not like anyone's going to reveal it, idiot.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

No, this has olives and gently caress a loves :colbert:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Coffee Wolf posted:

Lifehack: Be the soda machine guy, get free soda.

Of course, the company I work for doesn't use tokens, I just open the machine up with my keys.

Lifehack: steal the soda guy's keys, get free soda.

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

Lifehack: steal the soda guy's keys, get free soda.
Hold the soda guy's key to your head to depense free soda from across the street.
Hold it next to a can of free soda to extend the range even further!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

That . . . that actually doesn't seem dumb at all. Oh god, the life hacks have finally gotten to me.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Angela Christine posted:

That . . . that actually doesn't seem dumb at all. Oh god, the life hacks have finally gotten to me.

Sucks that you don't have x-ray vision like the rest of us. Loser.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Angela Christine posted:

Its not really dumb but then why not just use a piece of paper and marker where the holes are on it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Angela Christine posted:

Sorry, it's supposed to say "take a slide photo of the back, have it developed and use a projector to project it on the wall, use an improvised drill made of a screwdriver, kitchen mixer and parts of an actual, working drill to drill the holes. Do 20 backflips before hanging up the box."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Angela Christine posted:

This actually works, unless your scanner is dumb and scales things for some reason (like mine does) the bottom of my desk has so many holes in it now.