Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Seems like we'll soon see be able to experience Nintendo on smartphones: Apparently, Iwata is on the hot seat - and his replacement likely isn't going to be any better for the company.

quote:

A report published on Japanese website Business Journal details alleged turmoil within management at Nintendo.

The article claims that there’s a shared recognition of Iwata being the culprit among management. While there is a strong desire to bring games/franchises like Mario to smartphones, Iwata is strongly vetoing the idea. Iwata reiterates that “Nintendo’s strength is in unified development of game hardware and software”, stubbornly rejects the “net” (seems to reference how smartphones don’t use physical media since they download games), and fixates over “game consoles” – perhaps in light of his pride as a former developer.

Hiroshi Yamauchi, the previous president of Nintendo, passed away last fall. Apparently, no one remains who can defy Iwata. There are also rumors of management scheming to get rid of the president.

Another insider quote shared by Business Journal claims that there’s cultural friction based on how Iwata comes from outside the company (maybe given his origins at HAL Laboratory?). He continues to be involved with software development even after becoming president and there is a feeling of helplessness among “native” Nintendo executives.

Another point worth mentioning: supposedly, managers who oppose Iwata would want Yamauchi’s first son to become Nintendo’s president
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=867206

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Someone in that thread said that the source of that article was itself based on a NeoGAF thread so I don't think it's accurate. They did just re-elect the dude in June, you'd think if they were going to replace him it would have happened then. He even had a health situation that would have made forcing him to 'step down' easier.

Plus I really doubt that anyone inside of Nintendo of Japan would go against the flow because it's a super conservative Japanese company. Everyone there sings the same tune.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 5, 2014

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Thought I heard Iwata's confidence/approval ratings were higher than they had been last year?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

Seems like we'll soon see be able to experience Nintendo on smartphones: Apparently, Iwata is on the hot seat - and his replacement likely isn't going to be any better for the company.

Octodad. Towerfall Ascension. Mercenary Kings. Don't Starve. Resogun. Transistor.

mick foley forever
Dec 15, 2013

Chronojam posted:

Thought I heard Iwata's confidence/approval ratings were higher than they had been last year?

they have been. why are you reading fame douglas posts m8

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Fame Douglas posted:

I'm a virgin

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

I lol'd

Not gonna lie, it's a crying shame we never got any pictures of dicks in this thread

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Chronojam posted:

They were. Either the people that voted against him are very loud or "crafty Japanese business men said they approve of him but they all hate him."

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

mick foley forever posted:

they have been. why are you reading fame douglas posts m8

Oh poo poo phone posting gets the best of me, I keep avs off on the app

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
i was reading that post thinking "this sounds like a bunch of dumb bullshit that didn't happen" and then i saw who posted it, and the pieces fell back into place.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Shut up you dumb retard

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I really want them to have more than one guy voice Mario, Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi. I mean he can pick one, but he can't do all 4.

Because none of them sound Italian at all or even have a New York accent. The Super Show voice of Mario was the most fitting and the most authentic sounding. He sounded like a guy who would beat you senseless if you stepped on his azaleas.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

There's some kid out there whose uncle actually does work for Nintendo and no one will believe a thing he says

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Quest For Glory II posted:

There's some kid out there whose uncle actually does work for Nintendo and no one will believe a thing he says

The Oracle of Delphi never left us.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

The Taint Reaper posted:

I really want them to have more than one guy voice Mario, Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi. I mean he can pick one, but he can't do all 4.

Because none of them sound Italian at all or even have a New York accent. The Super Show voice of Mario was the most fitting and the most authentic sounding. He sounded like a guy who would beat you senseless if you stepped on his azaleas.

You don't need to have an "off the boat" accent to be Italian you know.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

whaley posted:

It looks exactly like a first person shooter that plays like Unreal Tournament. I agree. If the game was as manly as Warframe I would be all over it. Color is for freaking children.
Don't get me wrong, I like the gameplay concepts in Splatoon and I'd like it to succeed. But I doubt it will get the chance it deserves. Sorry if I swung a bit too hard with the snark.

And for what it's worth I think Warframe looks creepy and weird, and that's only the beginning of its problems.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Yeah I love Splatoon as a concept, and I really want it to have an online community, at least for a few months since it's the a shooter that actually looks really loving fun, in a genre that hasn't made something interesting in a long time. That said, I just don't see it happening. The kind of people who play multiplayer shooters aren't the kind to own a WiiU, much less play something that looks like this. It's a shame, really.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Splatoon will bomb hard. Then the next Battlefield or Call of duty will take the gameplay concept and make it brown and gray and it will be v. successful.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Wheany posted:

Splatoon will be the bomb.

yeah it will!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Wheany posted:

Splatoon will bomb hard. Then the next Battlefield or Call of duty will take the gameplay concept and make it brown and gray and it will be v. successful.

Battlefield allows vehicles though, we really have very minimal info on what splatoon allows other than paint and if you can switch between first and third person at will. Because if it's able to be played entirely in third person it's going to be similar to Ratchet and Clank.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Austrian mook posted:

Yeah I love Splatoon as a concept, and I really want it to have an online community, at least for a few months since it's the a shooter that actually looks really loving fun, in a genre that hasn't made something interesting in a long time. That said, I just don't see it happening. The kind of people who play multiplayer shooters aren't the kind to own a WiiU, much less play something that looks like this. It's a shame, really.

(Wrong thread)

It's OK because if I'm gonna get it, I don't want to play it online with the kind of people who play multiplayer shooters. It doesn't even seem like a real shooter to me. It's a shooter in the same way Jet Set Radio was a graffiti writing game.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

http://www.p4rgaming.com/what-splatoon-can-learn-from-call-of-duty/

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

10 things Splatoon can learn from Call of Duty.

1. Make another Call of Duty game.

2. Sell it.

Thanks for the insight, dude!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fremry posted:

10 things Splatoon can learn from Call of Duty.

1. Make another Call of Duty game.

2. Sell it.

Thanks for the insight, dude!

P4rgaming is The Onion of video games.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Quest For Glory II posted:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

ImpAtom posted:

Actually it is the most trusted name in video games journalism.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Wheany posted:

Over my dead body will Splatoon bomb. I'll play the game forever, even if its just me and like 10 other people. I'll play splatoon until the day I die

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Mercury Crusader posted:

Actually it is the most trusted name in video games journalism.

Truly great praise.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

ImpAtom posted:

You're no fun. Oh well. The rule that's used in the political cartoons thread in D&D for Kelly from the Onion, that "it's satire and that making people believe that it's serious has long since stopped being funny," should probably apply to P4RGaming too ... but I still can't help but crack a smile every time it happens.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

PrBacterio posted:

You're no fun. Oh well. The rule that's used in the political cartoons thread in D&D for Kelly from the Onion, that "it's satire and that making people believe that it's serious has long since stopped being funny," should probably apply to P4RGaming too ... but I still can't help but crack a smile every time it happens.
If it hits close enough to fool people then they're doing their job. News and even journalism in general has annoyed me for so long in so many ways that I relish every time someone falls for the trap. Not even because I want to see people look foolish but because it proves what garbage the real stuff is.

p.s. open the blood gates :gibs:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

PrBacterio posted:

why would you go to D&D

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Austrian mook posted:

why would you go to D&D

why would you re-reg

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Austrian mook posted:

why would you go to D&D
For my daily two minutes hate, duh.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

CrashCat posted:

Not even because I want to see people look foolish but because it proves what garbage the real stuff is.

ClickHole is not nearly as funny because it is pretty much exactly the same as real clickbait sites. The Onion actually has better headlines than real news sites these days, because they have to summarize the joke in the headline instead of trying to trick you into clicking the link.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Austrian mook posted:

why would you go to D&D

Because you give a poo poo about things outside of virtual reality

Like, I loving love Nintendo, but

mick foley forever
Dec 15, 2013

PrBacterio posted:

hi,im a humorless human being too

mick foley forever
Dec 15, 2013

instead of laughing at obvious satire id much rather say "wow... just wow... i cant even" and when someone points out that its satire i can respond with "well yeah but pepole really believe this!!!"

mick foley forever
Dec 15, 2013

wait i get what youre trying to say never mind lol

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
hi,im an illiterate bigot too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dataisplural
Oct 27, 2013

a stream of poo and urine