Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
...Aren't there some friendly Changelings in our space, also? I forget. Not just Odo. Something about the Cardassian storyline.

Random:What energy type can we expect to see from the Delta Quadrant? One of the oldies, or a whole new one?

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, the New Link or whatever.

FuturePastNow posted:

Plus Odo has been osmosing into the other Founders for 35 years now, who knows how much that has affected them.

They probably all absolutely love the Bijorans now.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I haven't been following my usual threads outside of GoonDoc/PI/LAN for about a month--is there a good place to catch up/read about all the nitty-gritty re: this upcoming expack?

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

Trebuchet King posted:

I haven't been following my usual threads outside of GoonDoc/PI/LAN for about a month--is there a good place to catch up/read about all the nitty-gritty re: this upcoming expack?

Just reddit and the official forums, there are no Dev Blogs yet.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
My ex thought Voyager was the best Star Trek series and I would be lying if I said his wrongness wasn't at least a small factor.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
So uh, how is this game without a subscription? Some FTP games are just dumb as hell without it, but in some like The Secret World there's not really any noticeable difference even if you go unsubbed.

Thought I'd take a short look at STO again. I played it shortly with SFD at launch but quit since the game really wasn't all that good. Just made this small fat clawhobbit. Forgot how good the character generator is :allears:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lorak posted:

Voyager is more consistent with STO gameplay, however, given the "magic reset button" of respawning, the pitiable strength of the Borg, no persistent ship damage (unless at higher difficulties), and pillaging the loot out of your fallen enemies.

All we really need is a new crafting tree: coffee.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Tuskin38 posted:

Just reddit and the official forums, there are no Dev Blogs yet.

I see, I guess when I get home from work I'll teach myself how to navigate reddit and try and get a better handle on what's coming down the pipeline.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bloodly posted:

Random:What energy type can we expect to see from the Delta Quadrant? One of the oldies, or a whole new one?

Flicking through Memory Alpha, Kazon were phasers, Hierarchy polarons... Vidiians and Malon only ever used torpedos, Talaxians were never specified... who else will we be seeing.

Fewd posted:

So uh, how is this game without a subscription? Some FTP games are just dumb as hell without it, but in some like The Secret World there's not really any noticeable difference even if you go unsubbed.

The game is actually surprisingly reasonable so far on this front. You'll notice pay stuff, but you won't be crippled without it.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Fewd posted:

Thought I'd take a short look at STO again. I played it shortly with SFD at launch but quit since the game really wasn't all that good. Just made this small fat clawhobbit. Forgot how good the character generator is :allears:

It's really good without a subscription. Most of the best equipment comes from playing (grinding) in-game missions, keeping the p2w stuff pretty minimal. And you can buy any of the real money stuff by earning in-game currency too, so you really won't notice any problems by going unsubbed.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

MikeJF posted:

Flicking through Memory Alpha, Kazon were phasers, Hierarchy polarons... Vidiians and Malon only ever used torpedos, Talaxians were never specified... who else will we be seeing.

Undine, Borg, Hirogen. Oh, wait.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

MikeJF posted:

The game is actually surprisingly reasonable so far on this front. You'll notice pay stuff, but you won't be crippled without it.
Yeah, it's honestly one of the best F2P schemes around. You can play start to endgame without spending a cent and there's enough inventory slots and stuff that you won't feel too cramped. It's probably a good idea to drop a few dollars eventually (for the space gold cap increase and maybe a duty officer cap increase) but that's stuff that you'd only need to worry about at endgame and presumably you'd know whether you'd want to bother by then.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
The standing recommendation is to subscribe (or buy a Limited Edition box copy if you can find one. Amazon might have them) for a month as you're leveling up. Each month you're subscribed, you also get $5 in Zen. As you rank up, you get more inventory slots, retrain tokens, and other miscellaneous crap. All that stays in place after you go free. Take your Zen stipend and buy the credit cap booster, and you're pretty much golden.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FuturePastNow posted:

Plus Odo has been osmosing into the other Founders for 35 years now, who knows how much that has affected them.

From a purely creative point of view, the dominion would make for a great faction or point for expansion. It was established that the Dominion is a sprawling empire, larger than the Federation. They could have dozens of client races but we only saw a few because either the Dominion was at war with the Federation so we only saw their military related races or those are the client races in Dominion space near the wormhole.

After Odo's merging with the Founders and the Dominion's encounter (and probably first defeat in a very long time) with the Alpha Quadrant alliance there could have been a political shift in the Dominion that allowed the client races to branch out into new roles. Vorta now don't have to be Administrators, Jem'harar have been granted freedom and released from their Ketracel Addiction. There would have to be races in the Dominion that handled peaceful Administration, crewed non warships, handled engineering and science that we never saw.

I would think Cryptic would be happy to explore that space because it give a lot of creative freedom to work outside of established cannon.

I thought about this way too much.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
That's all good with regarding the subscription then. Don't they even charge for bigger content packs/expansions and such though? Do they even make those? I haven't followed this game at all and not sure how the development is these days.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
They make expansions and they're free. They had a pack that contained all the new ships for the last expansion which was a fairly decent deal if you had money to burn (compared to all the other terrible deals if you have money to burn like burning it on crafting or the lovely trap Zen ships or lockboxes). I wonder if they'll do another "all the Delta Quadrant Zen Ships Pack".

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

DatonKallandor posted:

I wonder if they'll do another "all the Delta Quadrant Zen Ships Pack".

I'll be amazed if they DON'T have a $150-$200 pack for everything.

Oh man. I bet we'll get a liberated Talaxian Borg boff this time around. loving sweet. "Resistance is futile. You will enjoy this fine tenjikan soup. Your culturally appropriate drink will require a coaster."

andurilprime
Nov 4, 2009

Korgan posted:

You're both invited to TheNextGooneration and just checking, SA_anduril doesn't exist on the wiki but SA_andurilprime does. That's your name, right?

whups. It is indeed SA_andurilprime

UpfrontSalmon
Nov 4, 2011

I prefer the term "Battle FROG."

kzin602 posted:

From a purely creative point of view, the dominion would make for a great faction or point for expansion. It was established that the Dominion is a sprawling empire, larger than the Federation. They could have dozens of client races but we only saw a few because either the Dominion was at war with the Federation so we only saw their military related races or those are the client races in Dominion space near the wormhole.

After Odo's merging with the Founders and the Dominion's encounter (and probably first defeat in a very long time) with the Alpha Quadrant alliance there could have been a political shift in the Dominion that allowed the client races to branch out into new roles. Vorta now don't have to be Administrators, Jem'harar have been granted freedom and released from their Ketracel Addiction. There would have to be races in the Dominion that handled peaceful Administration, crewed non warships, handled engineering and science that we never saw.

I would think Cryptic would be happy to explore that space because it give a lot of creative freedom to work outside of established cannon.

The Dominion had those cool non-Ferengi merchant dudes like Not-Zephram Cochrane that helped Quark disable that torpedo stuck in the Defiant. Those guys would own (and then sell). It's settled, make the Dominion happen because that guy ruled. He even won at dabo I think.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

kzin602 posted:

I take back what I said earlier, Cryptic could feasibly pull this off. The campaign could take place after the awful cardassian arc where the founder is returned and DS9 is free of the Jem'hadar. Due to ICONIANS and odo being a pal the dominion does an alliance of convenience with the alpha quadrant, have the dominion do a similar "pick your side" for feds or kdf, release 30 or so missions to level up etc. Of course almost all the lock box and lobi stuff is dominion themed but just make it all t6 or mkiv gear.

Edit: You can still keep in place the 'good guy' cardassian government as the playable faction and write off the bad guy true wayers as rogues/renegades the dominion has no time for (iirc that's basically how their arc ends anyways. When the dominion shows up they basically don't care about invading the alpha quadrant anytime soon)

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 5, 2014

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Berke Negri posted:

I take back what I said earlier, Cryptic could feasibly pull this off. The campaign could take place after the awful cardassian arc where the founder is returned and DS9 is free of the Jem'hadar. Due to ICONIANS and odo being a pal the dominion does an alliance of convenience with the alpha quadrant, have the dominion do a similar "pick your side" for feds or kdf, release 30 or so missions to level up etc. Of course almost all the lock box and lobi stuff is dominion themed but just make it all t6 or mkiv gear.

Edit: You can still keep in place the 'good guy' cardassian government as the playable faction and write off the bad guy true wayers as rogues/renegades the dominion has no time for (iirc that's basically how their arc ends anyways. When the dominion shows up they basically don't care about invading the alpha quadrant anytime soon)

Umm. When weren't the Cardassians the good guys?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Acer Pilot posted:

Umm. When weren't the Cardassians the good guys?

When they made O'Brien a killer. (oh wait that's still awesome!)

Johnny!
Sep 24, 2007
Can i get wiki access and an invite to the channel please? I'm on the wiki as Zebrakong and in the game as Spork@Zebrakong

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Dirty posted:

Me: "Oh, really?"
Him: "Yes, I've seen every episode of the original series, every episode of The Next Generation and every episode of Voyager so far" (it was 1997). (And yes, he listed each series like that.)
Me: (I had to ask) "Oh. What about-"
Him: "I don't consider Deep Space 9 to be true Star Trek"

I will never understand the hate for DS9. Personally it's my favourite series.

I can get the hate for Voyager and Enterprise, even though I don't dislike them too much, but DS9? that was the poo poo.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Danaru posted:

I will never understand the hate for DS9. Personally it's my favourite series.

I can get the hate for Voyager and Enterprise, even though I don't dislike them too much, but DS9? that was the poo poo.

"It's too dark" "They don't go anywhere!" "Star Trek is about exploring space" "I can't just jump into an episode" "Star Trek isn't about war and guns" "Boring, too political" "WTF, he's space Jesus?"

Some valid complaints, some not

Personally, I find the quality of acting and writing in DS9 to be leaps and bounds above VOY and ENT. It's kinda amazing that they were able to go around the producer's backs and get away with the stuff like season long arcs and introspective politics.

Burning_Monk fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 5, 2014

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah DS9 is the most continuity heavy of the various Star Treks by far so you don't really get the best it has to offer by catching random episodes in syndication, which is how a lot of people watched trek in the 90's. So there's a large contingent of people who haven't watched it beyond watching some random episodes out of order which is why the you always get these stock complaints.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Personally, I think DS9. Is basically babylon 5 averaged. None of the real stinker episodes, but less of the really good ones.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
"I don't like/get DS9" is a pretty good way to tell if someone is one of those lovely nerds that just mindlessly consumes media because they can't stand thinking too hard about anything

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Tighclops posted:

"I don't like/get DS9" is a pretty good way to tell if someone is one of those lovely nerds that just mindlessly consumes media because they can't stand thinking too hard about anything
I think it's more the sort of nerd who jumps to dumbass conclusions about media, possibly without even watching it, and never changes their opinion ever even if it's complete hyperbole. Which is a far more obnoxious problem since that sort of mindset tends to feed into cliquey online discussions.

Really, DS9 was rather atypical for Trek and I can't entirely fault folks for being put off by it when it aired. The first season had a lot of rough episodes, the Bajorans were obnoxious shits, and let's be honest about the fact that starships are way cooler than space stations. There was definitely a bit of industry pushback too since syndication was still huge then, and serials during prime time was something that really came back into favor in the early 00's. The thing is, DS9 has definitely aged the best out of the series, had the best antagonists by far, and it feels a lot more like a modern show due to the writing decisions they made for it. Anyone who still bitches about it hasn't seen it since it aired and is just nursing a a 15-year-old idiot nerd grudge, as noted above.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Asimo posted:

The first season had a lot of rough episodes
Even that isn't really a strike against it when every other Trek had the same fault. God knows TNG's early seasons were some banal poo poo.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Even that isn't really a strike against it when every other Trek had the same fault. God knows TNG's early seasons were some banal poo poo.
It is when it's playing opposite TNG's best seasons though. Since nerds.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Oh, true, but DS9's first season aired opposite arguably TNG's best, so the comparison would've made for a huge letdown.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

Personally, I think DS9. Is basically babylon 5 averaged. None of the real stinker episodes, but less of the really good ones.

That's generally why I didn't care much for DS9: in broad strokes, it felt like B5 given a thorough pounding with a Trek stamp. The episodes my friends loved, with the fleets and the phasers flying all over were crap: senseless fizzing and special effects wankery filling in a quarter of an episode. The ones I did like were where they made honest effort to pull up the rug and look at what was underneath Roddenberry's utopia. gently caress the arguments over whether the Defiant is a ripoff of the White Star, let's watch an actually good time travel episode or two to look at the chaos of the 21st century or pull a chair out for the pulps-- and not in that sanitized way Picard always did in his holodeck cosplays. That hilarious exchange between Garak and Quark, comparing the Federation to root beer. gently caress, Sisko bloodying Q's nose.

Eh, okay. While I didn't really care for DS9 as a series, it was head and shoulders above what came afterward. When the original actor for Janeway quit, they claimed she hadn't realized the rigors of episodic filming. I think it was the apparent lack of a series bible and the whiplash of characterization from episode to episode that made her decide her integrity was worth more than the paycheque.

az
Dec 2, 2005

I'm coming up on 50 on my tac romklank, should I start building a cannon warbird or a beamcruiser? Speaking of which, are cruisers used in STFs now outside of comedy options?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

az posted:

I'm coming up on 50 on my tac romklank, should I start building a cannon warbird or a beamcruiser? Speaking of which, are cruisers used in STFs now outside of comedy options?

Most people fly cruisers.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Bieeardo posted:

Eh, okay. While I didn't really care for DS9 as a series, it was head and shoulders above what came afterward. When the original actor for Janeway quit, they claimed she hadn't realized the rigors of episodic filming. I think it was the apparent lack of a series bible and the whiplash of characterization from episode to episode that made her decide her integrity was worth more than the paycheque.

It's more likely because she was loving terrible and managed to suck whatever limited energy there was out of every scene she was in, seriously if you don't believe me go find the footage on youtube it's rank as hell

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'll take your word on it. I don't want to live with having seen definitive proof that Voyager could have been even worse.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Voyager's interpersonal problems cranked up a notch once Jeri Ryan started dating Brannon Braga. Nothing makes actors pissier than the idea their costars are getting favored because they slept with the boss.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Acer Pilot posted:

Most people fly cruisers.
The only real option for this for Romulans is the Scimitar or the D'deridex. If you have a scim, yeah gear up for that since there won't be a better option for the foreseeable future (until at least S10 I guess). Otherwise grab an escort warbird and go to it there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Some pubbie fat fingered a Xindi carrier and posted it for 25 mil instead of 250, and I got it. That's going to be one salty pubbie later :cawg:

• Locked thread