Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Make sure you ask to get admin access on your computer next, that will show them you are really tech savvy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

hanyolo posted:

Make sure you ask to get admin access on your computer next, that will show them you are really tech savvy!

Then remove domain admins from the local admins.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
We've come full circle!

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

e: I mean really, if I don't let you know how smart I am, who will??

Today's reminder of why I YOTJ'd out before a full year brought by Fruit Stripe!

Content: if I'm going to be a pretentious goon with a beer, what kind of pretentious glass should I get? I bought a sharing-size and have every intention of sharing at work Friday afternoon.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

meanieface posted:

Today's reminder of why I YOTJ'd out before a full year brought by Fruit Stripe!

Content: if I'm going to be a pretentious goon with a beer, what kind of pretentious glass should I get? I bought a sharing-size and have every intention of sharing at work Friday afternoon.

Tulip shaped glasses or snifters work well for many high end beers.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I've gotten to the point where I drink straight from the growler. If I'm feeling fancy I take it out of the paper bag first.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

meanieface posted:

This one.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Ryzic posted:

Recruiters.

I'm okay getting linkedin spam. In fact, I'm open to it, because I'm planning on leaving this job in a few months.

I just got a phone call, transferred from the front desk (our company is 10 people), from a recruiter looking to place me an exciting position. He apparently found me on linkedin, clicked the company name, called the front desk number, and asked for me.

If you really wanted me to not tell you to gently caress off, you probably could have sent me a linkedin message, an email, send me a connection request... I don't really care, but calling the company I work for and asking and trying to recruit me is super not okay.

I once spent some time trying to explain to a recruiter that trying to recruit me through my no doubt monitored work email address is a poor idea.

Then again my company tried to get everyone to use their work email to sign up to LinkedIn. My reaction wasn't printable.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Speaking of LinkedIn, looks like they also don't like to pay their workers overtime..

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/08/04/3467347/linkedin-labor-violations/

I can understand doing a bit of extra unpaid work if you *really* like the job you're doing or are trying to make a good first impression, but you really need to put your foot down somewhere...

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Antioch posted:

I've gotten to the point where I drink straight from the growler.

I am guessing that in your country, 'growler' means a bottle of some kind?

Cause in mine, it means 'a lady's bits' and I am all confused and want to come to your parties.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

spog posted:

Cause in mine, it means 'a lady's bits' and I am all confused and want to come to your parties.

In mine it means an ewar jet. I don't recommend drinking directly from them.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

spog posted:

Do lady bits growl like a territorial dog where you're from? I cannot imagine the origin of that phrase... :stare:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I had someone who would remove all accounts from the local admin group but her account periodically. We simply had a meeting with her to tell her to stop and then made a group policy object to enforce certain accounts to the local group by policy. I believe she still continued to delete them but then we just turned up the refresh rate of group policy to her machine and she eventually gave up.

So in recent news, gently caress backup exec. Its been really poor performance wise for some unknown reason for a few months. Super slow data transfer speeds on a server that seems to perform fine in anything else but backup exec. After some failed support tickets I wipe backup exec out and start over from scratch on the same server. Its now transferring data at speeds 8x what it was before. What dumb software.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Lync is a piece of garbo trash that I was forced to reinstall by my superiors yesterday, so far it is stolen focus five times and freezes Word whenever I click the Review tab every single time.

Also it doesn't save conversation history even though I have it turned on to do so, oh you need something someone said to you a couple hours ago? Nope.

Why can't we all just adopt Skype (which is free and does not need to be wrestled with by our IT team) and be happy?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

hanyolo posted:

Speaking of LinkedIn, looks like they also don't like to pay their workers overtime..

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/08/04/3467347/linkedin-labor-violations/

I can understand doing a bit of extra unpaid work if you *really* like the job you're doing or are trying to make a good first impression, but you really need to put your foot down somewhere...

I know someone who works for LinkedIn and they make seriously mad cash between salary and stock; as far as I know they don't get paid overtime. They're not even that high a level.

Q for recruiter person: what's the appropriate level of communication we should have with the company? Sometimes I've wanted to ask "hey what's the status" after a tech screen but I also don't want to feel like a desperate stalker.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

monster on a stick posted:

I know someone who works for LinkedIn and they make seriously mad cash between salary and stock; as far as I know they don't get paid overtime. They're not even that high a level.

Q for recruiter person: what's the appropriate level of communication we should have with the company? Sometimes I've wanted to ask "hey what's the status" after a tech screen but I also don't want to feel like a desperate stalker.

I think I see why he doesn't get paid overtime.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

MF_James posted:

Salary doesn't always mean that.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

MF_James posted:

Outside of the restaurant industry, I have never worked a salaried job where I didn't get overtime (which I could chose to take in time off or have paid in cash).

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Outside of the restaurant industry, I have never worked a salaried job where I didn't get overtime (which I could chose to take in time off or have paid in cash).

I work a salaried job where I don't get overtime. I think it is all above board though technically. IT people are often screwed.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

Ryzic posted:

Recruiters.

I'm okay getting linkedin spam. In fact, I'm open to it, because I'm planning on leaving this job in a few months.

I just got a phone call, transferred from the front desk (our company is 10 people), from a recruiter looking to place me an exciting position. He apparently found me on linkedin, clicked the company name, called the front desk number, and asked for me.

If you really wanted me to not tell you to gently caress off, you probably could have sent me a linkedin message, an email, send me a connection request... I don't really care, but calling the company I work for and asking and trying to recruit me is super not okay.

Modbus and everything that it stands for can be purged from this planet.

Ahahahaha, are you in the greater Boston area, by any chance? Somebody did that to me at my last job and I went off on him. Especially since I didn't have a closed office, so anybody could have heard the conversation if I was starting.

I think my exact words were "unprofessional and alienating, give me your company name so I can make sure to never do business with you."

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So my boss is wondering why my number of tickets resolved a day has gone down since making me the only person in my building that does first line support and won't budge on moving me up.

Gee whiz, I wonder why i'm doing less work. It couldn't be that i'm ever so slightly pissed off that i'm being left behind.

E: To clarify, everyone in my building now does either 2nd or 3rd line work, is a sysadmin, a developer or is supporting our new software. First line work is being outsourced and my manager is just saying "soon" when I ask him about further training. I've doubled my resume sending already, this is just silly.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 5, 2014

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

spog posted:

Half gallon glass jugs of delicious tap fresh draft. There's a number of places here in town (Edmonton, AB) that fill them for around $11-$20 depending on the beer. Mostly I just get mine filled with the local lager, Yellowhead, because I am a simpleton that appreciates a simple beer.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Antioch posted:

Half gallon glass jugs of delicious tap fresh draft. There's a number of places here in town (Edmonton, AB) that fill them for around $11-$20 depending on the beer. Mostly I just get mine filled with the local lager, Yellowhead, because I am a simpleton that appreciates a simple beer.

They look nothing like a vagina.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Moey posted:

loving HP iLO is ruining my Monday. Setup an IP address on the loving thing, it pings fine but no web interface loads. NMAP shows no loving ports are open. Verified all network/switch settings, everything seems fine. Running some old rear end iLO firmware, but since I cannot get the web interface up, I cannot update the firmware.

gently caress you HP.

The best printer HP made was the LaserJet 4. That was a loving tank. I retired a 4 that had printed over a million pages in it's lifetime.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 5, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I like the Laserjet Enterprise range. The P3015dn seems like the spiritual replacement to the 4000 series.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

dogstile posted:

So my boss is wondering why my number of tickets resolved a day has gone down since making me the only person in my building that does first line support and won't budge on moving me up.

Gee whiz, I wonder why i'm doing less work. It couldn't be that i'm ever so slightly pissed off that i'm being left behind.

E: To clarify, everyone in my building now does either 2nd or 3rd line work, is a sysadmin, a developer or is supporting our new software. First line work is being outsourced and my manager is just saying "soon" when I ask him about further training. I've doubled my resume sending already, this is just silly.

Do you trust your boss? I'm being blunt because this could help you move up. Is there someone you trust at work that can give you insight into why your expectations aren't being met?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Manslaughter posted:

Lync is a piece of garbo trash that I was forced to reinstall by my superiors yesterday, so far it is stolen focus five times and freezes Word whenever I click the Review tab every single time.

Also it doesn't save conversation history even though I have it turned on to do so, oh you need something someone said to you a couple hours ago? Nope.

Why can't we all just adopt Skype (which is free and does not need to be wrestled with by our IT team) and be happy?

If you are a SOX shop, I'm not sure Skype passes regulations. I know CTO's and CIO's who have vetoed Skype.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

tango alpha delta posted:

If you are a SOX shop, I'm not sure Skype passes regulations. I know CTO's and CIO's who have vetoed Skype.

Not really, since it can't be centrally logged and it's impossible to make sure internal traffic doesn't go outside your network unless a Skype proxy exists which handles that (I don't know of one, but it's possible).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've found out that people who email things to themselves is a pretty good litmus test for how likely they are to piss you off when attempting simple tasks.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Volmarias posted:

Do lady bits growl like a territorial dog where you're from? I cannot imagine the origin of that phrase... :stare:

Because when you eat her out, you growl at the badger.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Do you trust your boss? I'm being blunt because this could help you move up. Is there someone you trust at work that can give you insight into why your expectations aren't being met?

I don't trust my boss due to him saying I should have been trained in March.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

IM has been out of scope on our SOX audits but I don't know if that was pushed from our end or the auditors. I want to get away from Skype (we were on Live Messenger so we had to migrate to Skype) because I'd rather have something in-house with a central address book and accounts I can manage. People keep forgetting their Live password and the reset process is annoying.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

dogstile posted:

If the situation is exactly as you describe it the writing on the wall is pretty clear. Do you butt heads with your boss often? Sounds like you are the social pariah of the group.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Was onsite in a pretty rural area for some dude with a bunch of big dogs which seemed friendly enough. Paid well, too. On my way out the door, though, he mentions to stay close to him because he's been involved in a couple lawsuits because of the dogs being poorly trained and biting people.

:stonk:

I think that would've been relevant information before I came inside, right?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Just got my dick slammed in the door by the owner for spending too much money on a website that was finished 3 months before I started :tizzy:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That is priceless

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Sounds painful.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

Sounds painful.

This guy would totally know. Thanks for asking.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

dogstile posted:

I don't trust my boss due to him saying I should have been trained in March.

gently caress. Is there someone else that you trust who can give you honest feedback? Please say yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

dogstile, it sounds like you work for my old employers. I was voluntold to take on more responsibilities and pretty much said "nope, not without sitting down and talking about my title, job description, salary". Waited 7 months for them to half-rear end it and tell me I was overpaid (lol. Also I'm an idiot for waiting that long).

An organisation that rotten isn't worth trying to make work for you.