Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Speaking of powers chat, which iconic powers are good for a a terrible mental/martial arts user?

Edit:

My psn is EffEmmEll if you end up on ps3 vvvvv

OxMan fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
So I'm looking to get back into this game after playing it like crazy at release. I can play either the PC or the PS3 version though I believe I have the light power DLC on ps3 (not sure if it carries over) Is anyone looking for some one to play with?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

At what point can I zip-line up buildings instead of.. whatever the gently caress I'm doing now with Acrobatics? Because it looks hilariously silly.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
From memory it's in the Lv8-10 range, I forget when it unlocks thanks to them merging the travel powers together.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They did what? How does that work?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
If you upgrade your speed with acrobatics and jump next to a building you shoot a zip line up.

your glide also becomes a zip line.

Zip lines everywhere.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Aphrodite posted:

They did what? How does that work?

There used to be 2 or 3 different zip line 'powers' in the acrobatics tree. They got consolidated into one power pick (along with the rocket-assisted flight thing).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh. The post made it sound like they merged the 3 travel powers somehow.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
zip lines were merged in with rocket-propelled glide. basically, if you're facing a wall when jumping hold the appropriate button and you'll zip to it.

if you're hanging onto a wall, hold that same button to zip up it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Yeah, each movement tree had all of their "upgrades" merged into a single point since they went "You're right: this is dumb."

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Anyone still playing this? I am thinking about trying it on the PS4.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I booted it up earlier today and discovered this week's patch removed walkins while giving huge quality of life stuff.

But I'm on PC and I have graveyard shifts all weekend, so both of these things mean I cannot join you. :(

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

If anyone cares, today is the end of the Summer Sale (50% off a few things).

I've been playing again lately and I'm really enjoying the weapon combo additions. And maybe it's just me, but people have been a lot less complainy about heals/power/tank/lack thereof or whatever.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Are you on console or PC? I've been having a blast on the PS4 but haven't run across any other goons that play.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

PC Heroside mostly.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

mastajake posted:

weapon combo additions

Is this just the multi-combo stuff they've been talking about forever or did they add even more stuff? I haven't even checked anything DCUO out for a while.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

The combos from shield into two-handed or dual pistols, etc. The combos actually do a ton of damage and if you time a power to when it hits you get a bonus to it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Similar to that: I think it's the next major patch? is removing damage limits from non-DPS roles. Healers and Tanks can now just do 100% damage while still doing their jobs.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

mastajake posted:

The combos from shield into two-handed or dual pistols, etc. The combos actually do a ton of damage and if you time a power to when it hits you get a bonus to it.

Oh, yeah, the last time I really checked on the forums people were throwing fits because they couldn't clip everything and still get that bonus.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Just joined Villainside as Joey Jokes.

Edit: Just quit, groupmaking sucked!

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 26, 2014

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

If you don't own any of the following, the Ultimate Edition Bundle is 33% off on Steam:

Fight for the Light (Hard Light powerset)
Lightning Strikes (Electricity powerset)
The Battle for Earth (Earth powerset)
The Last Laugh (Shield weapon)

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've been hungry for games in the DC Universe, so I picked this up again and been having a good time. Well, except for Bane. gently caress that boss so hard.

I'm kind of at a loss what to do other than grind the Area 51 alert for drops, or if I should respec or not. Been using dual pistols as a Gadgets hero, which seem lackluster, but maybe that's just me.

Also, there's this loving god awful audio bug that creeps up every now and again and is driving me absolutely mental. I have to shut down and then restart anything that uses sound to fix it, it's annoying as gently caress.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
I'm thinking of making a Light (or Rage) character, but I haven't played since well before this weapon mastery business went into effect. Is the assessment of weapon sets in the OP still good, or has the received wisdom changed?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Hey for some reason on PS4, the screen is bigger than my actual TV so a lot of stuff is cut off. I can't figure out how to fix this. Any help?

Edit: Nevermind, had to play with my TV settings. It's strange, this is the only game that's effected by that.

Celoth
Jun 21, 2014

Technically, Tribbles can't say No.
Noob Goon here - Anyone have a suggestion on what DLCs to purchase as a noob? I'll hit 30 tonight (I think) and the only DLC I have is Fight for the Light. From the OP, it sounds like from a PVE perspective the next thing I should pick up would be Lightning Strikes, to open up more CR options and Central City, but I'm such a noob I may be looking at it all wrong.

Also - any tips for a noob light/staff controller?

(Also - My character name is Celoth and I play on PC)

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Alaemon posted:

I'm thinking of making a Light (or Rage) character, but I haven't played since well before this weapon mastery business went into effect. Is the assessment of weapon sets in the OP still good, or has the received wisdom changed?

I probably should have asked this as well, ha.

I made a Rage Dual Pistol dude and he owns. :D

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd

Celoth posted:

Noob Goon here - Anyone have a suggestion on what DLCs to purchase as a noob? I'll hit 30 tonight (I think) and the only DLC I have is Fight for the Light. From the OP, it sounds like from a PVE perspective the next thing I should pick up would be Lightning Strikes, to open up more CR options and Central City, but I'm such a noob I may be looking at it all wrong.
lightning strikes and home turf. maybe some battle for earth on the side.

quote:

Also - any tips for a noob light/staff controller?
you're just going to do what you want, but consider this

nehezir posted:

If you go hard light, there are extremely tangible bčnefits to picking the slowest weapon classes, brawling and 2 handed.

Construct combos have their own animetion speed but use the combo tiers from your weapon, thus letting you get faster power regen with less combo hits.
for the most part, HL doesn't need weapon combos, so you don't have to take a fast weapon if you're playing mostly the assault tree and it's combo options. it's one of the few powers where it's very arguable that you are imposing a trouble on yourself by doing so by requiring yourself to make many more hits to reach certain power regen combo tiers, which is most of the point of weapon combos.

other than that, staff+light is really self-apparent so you won't need tips. just find omarr's HL dpsing flowchart and you'll know what to spec.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.
Any goons on the villian/pc side still playing?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I came here wondering the same thing. Doesn't look like it.

Mimsy
Oct 25, 2008
I very occasionally still play on PC villain. I'm even still in legion of goon.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I was considering getting some of the DLC stuff since it's 75% off on Steam but the community seems pretty dead.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's the character creator. If they had made a more elaborate one people would still be playing.

They'd never leave Brainiac's ship but they'd be logged on making costumes for hours.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Dugong posted:

I was considering getting some of the DLC stuff since it's 75% off on Steam but the community seems pretty dead.

I'm not sure on PC side of things but other than goons the Playstation community is huge. I can get into groups pretty quickly and the cities are packed. This is West Coast semi-late night so I can only imagine what it's like during primetime.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

It's the character creator. If they had made a more elaborate one people would still be playing.

They'd never leave Brainiac's ship but they'd be logged on making costumes for hours.

It's also the ridiculous post-30 grind, doing the same instances over and over and over and over with the frankly toxic as all hell playerbase.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

WarLocke posted:

It's also the ridiculous post-30 grind, doing the same instances over and over and over and over with the frankly toxic as all hell playerbase.

This is a large part of why I stopped playing. Trying to build up enough welfare tokens to get a set of outdated gear was an insane grind of instances I was tired of. My main character only has half a set of whatever the lowest tier armor set was and then one or two pieces of a higher tier set. I never even got to Central City (the Flash's city) I was so low geared.

Damned collections and their associated costume unlocks should have been account wide as well.

I loved flying around though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, the endgame won't keep people playing their high levels and the boring costume creator (and non-global unlock system) doesn't keep them making alts.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, the endgame won't keep people playing their high levels and the boring costume creator (and non-global unlock system) doesn't keep them making alts.

Just so everyone is clear on this, you do not like the character creator?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The huge 75% off sale has convinced me to grab Home Turf, maybe the powers sets, and see if I'm willing to F2P my way past the first few hours. I always did like how Acrobatics was basically SPIDERMANS and hearing they lumped together QoL travel upgrades is a good sign.

Read the other page that fire is "bad at tanking", but is it still at least half decent for space lava man giving no fucks in general PvE as he burns things and uses what weapon he thinks looks "coolest but not hand crampingly button clickly"?

jabro posted:

Just so everyone is clear on this, you do not like the character creator?
I can get used to the three color limit, and no slider bars for body parts. But the sorting of parts is blah (Wait, WHICH hair+facial hair combo was this random name again? Oh wait it kicked to login screen for taking more than 7 minutes during character creation) and no global unlocks for costume parts, not even cash purchase ones, is pretty disheartening.

EDIT: vvv Huh, I vaguely recall things like "Batman baseball hat!" warning that they were per character last I looked a while back. Maybe they changed that?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 6, 2014

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Section Z posted:

and no global unlocks for costume parts, not even cash purchase ones, is pretty disheartening.

I'm pretty sure the cash shop ones are global, you just can't grab them until you get to a mail terminal. I know the weapon skins are, I can't see why the costumes wouldn't be.

I'm the idiot who bought all the remaining DLC from when he stopped playing even though I don't have the time to go back to playing it right now. And I'll probably buy the next one at launch because New Gods. Help me, I have a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On3moresoul
Apr 22, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I just started playing recently (mental/fists (martial?)) and am impressed at how full at least the starting area is of players. Give a since of vibrancy to the community. Despite the warnings about post-30 hell, I may pick up the Ultimate pack since it's 75% off Steam only for a couple more hours. I would like to be able to make a Latern Corps character.

Just for some perspective, where does this game generally fall in peoples comparison to City of Heroes/Villains? I agree I wish there were more customization options when you make a character. I did see some badass level 30 in Metropolis PD HQ with some cosmic pants and hand pieces, I could see space and stars through it, was impressive.

E:

Looks like Halls of Power pt. 1 came out yesterday, http://store.steampowered.com/app/315800/ I wish it were on sale like the rest of DLC.

On3moresoul fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 7, 2014

• Locked thread