Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best version of El?
This poll is closed.
Elminster 20 6.45%
Elmara 20 6.45%
Entwine 13 4.19%
GURPS 99 31.94%
El Kabong 153 49.35%
Elves 5 1.61%
Total: 310 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
One of the things that's going somewhat ignored is that bigger, newer weapons are not what people want right now. Not the kings, not the Houses, not anyone. Nobody wants a war, because everyone is terrified of the Mourning.

One of the things Baker talks about often whenever asked about the Mourning is that it genuinely does not matter how it happened. What matters is that everyone thinks it can happen again. Imagine if WWI ended with a spontaneous nuclear explosion that nobody could track back or understand how it went off. That's why the Last War is, so far, the Last War; everyone thinks The Other Guy has something that can cause Mournings. It's mutually assured destruction, except nobody actually knows who has the nukes, but they're sure as hell not going to risk pissing off whoever that may be.

The other thing to point out is that each House is a monopoly ensured by, well, genetics. This is what's holding back that industrial revolution; you cannot have a great forge without an actual blood relative of House Cannith running it. You cannot run airships without someone with the Mark of Storm. This is what essentially stops "and then everyone has a gun;" any such invention wouldn't just be kept a secret, they'd be unusable outside the House that invented it.

Also consider that most the grand technologies require multiple Houses and at times governments to work together - something they're not going to do if war breaks out and it's time to make weapons. That train uses House Cannith-made conductor stones, an element bound by Zilargo, and then controlled by House Orien. Airships are the same - House Lyrander controls them, Zilargo does the elemental binding, and likely Cannith does most of the actual airship creation. With shards bought for ALL of these things from House Tharashk.

Others have mentioned Shadowrun, which actually is probably what you should look the Houses. The Houses absolutely cannot openly war against each other, nor can they officially ally themselves with any nation. Sure, this is only by a single law, and sure, any House could theoretically break it, but the second those Edicts are broken, all hell breaks loose. So everyone plays nice, nobody tips the boat, and they stick to cutthroat negotiations away from the limelight. And that's not even touching what kind of horrible politics exist inside each House. Imagine Shadowrun style office politics, except now everyone's related at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Reene posted:

Efficient gun technology wasn't and isn't purely about firepower though. For a long time after the initial advent of firearms people were still using crossbows, longbows, and polearms. Which you wanted to use depended a great deal on the situation and level of training of the people using them.

Plain bombs and explosive power sure, but I'm not sure you can hop straight from harnessing lightning to efficient firearms because those are completely different feats of engineering.
I'm surprised Winson hasn't stepped in and pointed out that firearms are a thing in Eberron. Completely forgot my most favorite part of the setting is that you could literally fire off your arm as a projectile weapon as a capstone to the Self Forged paragon path. Its my favorite part of 4E just because I can't not think of bionic commando when I imagine the rocket fist going off.
EDIT:
In hindsight I'm also surprised Forgotten Realms 4E got gunpowder bombs and weaponry.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 5, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
FR has always had gunpowder, it just has to literally be blessed by the god Gond in order to work and thus only works for his priests.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
"That's why we call it the great unequalizer."

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

ProfessorCirno posted:

FR has always had gunpowder, it just has to literally be blessed by the god Gond in order to work and thus only works for his priests.

That's not true. The Lantan Gondish have a monopoly on designing and building small arms, but smokepowder is not actually magical and has been in use for a long time. Mulhorand and Thay have used siege bombards for a few centuries. Shou Lung has made rockets, both weapons and fireworks, for a few centuries.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

MadScientistWorking posted:

The lightning rails is proof enough that you have enough technology to make a devastating weapon. You have the ability to harness a force of nature that is pretty much on the level of bomb let alone gun and yet you have crossbows.
EDIT:
Right. I forgot the technology to bind elementals is a trade secret.

Aside from what everybody else has said there is literally nothing supported by any of the text in any Eberron book that supposes that bound elementals can be harnessed in a handheld, easily usable device for propelling tiny chunks of metal super-fast. The two prominent examples of bound elementals being employed in the setting are:

A). Giant train engines, and

B). Even bigger airships.

Both of which work by taking an extremely angry elemental, shoving it into a kind of containment matrix, and then using it as a racehorse. Nothing about that immediately suggests "oh, right, modern firearms are right around the corner, it was so obvious all along." If there's something on the level of a devastating weapon going on there it's because a pissed off elemental is an extremely dangerous thing to be messing around with, not because of anything inherent in the design of the vehicles themselves.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

I thought it was a split between forcing elementals into stuff and bargaining with them so that they'd do it of their own volition, just to tone down the creepy slavery aspect some?

edit: Also aren't there wagons powered by elementals, too? It doesn't seem too outlandish to me that someone would tinker with a way to bind lesser elementals into smaller stuff, since it takes pretty drat huge, powerful ones to power airships and lightning rail.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm not 100% on the exact metaphysics of it but elementals aren't really like full-fledged sentient beings, they're more just primal forces of nature with with intellects on the animal side of things. I'm pretty sure elemental binding isn't meant to be a kind of unspoken monstrous act because it's not like the setting's shy about pointing out, for example, that "monstrous races" visiting Sharn need to apply for special "I'm actually people" badges or else they have no implicit right to not be murdered, so I think if airships and trains were run on cruel slavery it would be kind of a bigger deal.

As far as getting elementals to do what you want, that's where Dragonmarks come in. If you want to pilot an airship or conduct a Lightning Rail engine you have two options...either grab hold of the wheel or reins and have an ongoing battle of wills with a seething vortex of raw elemental power or have a Mark of Storm or Passage respectively.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

EDIT: i r dum

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kai Tave posted:

I'm not 100% on the exact metaphysics of it but elementals aren't really like full-fledged sentient beings, they're more just primal forces of nature with with intellects on the animal side of things.

If so, it feels like a cop-out by the setting writers. What early 20th century metaphor is complete without heinous exploitation of labor?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
There's still tons of that without making coal sentient.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Reene posted:

Efficient gun technology wasn't and isn't purely about firepower though. For a long time after the initial advent of firearms people were still using crossbows, longbows, and polearms. Which you wanted to use depended a great deal on the situation and level of training of the people using them.

Plain bombs and explosive power sure, but I'm not sure you can hop straight from harnessing lightning to efficient firearms because those are completely different feats of engineering.

Yeah it wasn't firepower or deadliness that prompted the switch to firearms, it was training time. Until the introduction of the minie ball in the 1840s longbows were more accurate at longer ranges and just as deadly to lightly armored opponents, but it took two years to train a malnourished peasant to be an efficient longbowman, whereas it took a day to train them to fire a musket as part of a firing line.

Cannons on the other hand, were devastating almost immediately and changed everything about warfare. Once a setting has cannons, proper castles (a staple of most fantasy settings) suddenly start becoming obsolete.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

zeal posted:

If so, it feels like a cop-out by the setting writers. What early 20th century metaphor is complete without heinous exploitation of labor?

We'll have to make do with the Warforged, an entire species created simply to serve on the front lines and now being told there's no place for them in this world so they should just gently caress off.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Kai Tave posted:

Aside from what everybody else has said there is literally nothing supported by any of the text in any Eberron book that supposes that bound elementals can be harnessed in a handheld, easily usable device for propelling tiny chunks of metal super-fast. The two prominent examples of bound elementals being employed in the setting are:

A). Giant train engines, and

B). Even bigger airships.

Both of which work by taking an extremely angry elemental, shoving it into a kind of containment matrix, and then using it as a racehorse. Nothing about that immediately suggests "oh, right, modern firearms are right around the corner, it was so obvious all along." If there's something on the level of a devastating weapon going on there it's because a pissed off elemental is an extremely dangerous thing to be messing around with, not because of anything inherent in the design of the vehicles themselves.

There are plenty of small-scale examples of elemental binding. You can bind an elemental to a sword, bow, whatever. But that said, like you mention none of the effects of elemental binding indicate that they'd be in any way suitable for creating firearms. And given the expense of elemental binding, it's hardly that efficient or cheap. Equipping any significantly sized force with elemental weapons would be very, very cost prohibitive (for example, a burning weapon is the equivalent of a +3 weapon)

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Elemental binding seems incredibly expensive, even for the most minor item. Engineering a device to propel a bit of metal is probably doable with some kind of air elemental or whatever, but it wouldn't be any cheaper or more lethal than a +2 longbow (or something).
Endless wands and magewrights are probably the closest in-universe Eberron thing to the historical introduction of firearms.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

A wand of magic missile is pretty much a gun but actually better because even though it deals dinky damage you can't possibly miss.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Also considering most normal people in 3e have something like 4-6 hp (if anything that's high), a device that allows you to unerringly deal 1d4+1 points of damage is a fairly effective murder machine.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Goddamn. I never really thought about just how fragile all of civilization is in Elfgamia.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I remember when I played a game 6 years ago and I made a gatling wand by taping a shitload of wands together and rotating them by magic.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Pro strat right there.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I liked to play a warforged, take the wand-gauntlets from whatever 3.5 splat and load them with magic missile and fireball wands and pretend I was Iron Man.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Alien Rope Burn posted:

"That's why we call it the great unequalizer."

"Some other god made men, but Gond made his priests equal" or something.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

I want an earth elemental powered railgun now

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Get some Boots of Strafing and Swooping and you'd be all set, Antonius Starke.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 5, 2014

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Sagan posted:

Goddamn. I never really thought about just how fragile all of civilization is in Elfgamia.
One wraith or shadow escapes their crypt, attacks a nearby village of poo poo farmers, and all civilization inevitably crumbles as they spread exponentially.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Swagger Dagger posted:

I liked to play a warforged, take the wand-gauntlets from whatever 3.5 splat and load them with magic missile and fireball wands and pretend I was Iron Man.

Although era-and-tone-wise Eberron would be closer to having early JSA style "mystery men", superheroes would slot into the setting pretty easily. Especially in an Avengers "putting aside everything for the common good" way.

Man, I wish I still had that old 4vengers poster that had everyone's classes on it now...

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Darwinism posted:

Snake, try to remember the basics of BAB.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Darwinism posted:

Peasant elementals

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Swagger Dagger posted:

Was there ever a bionic commando arm equivalent in the 3.5E splats? I know there was a prestige class that gave you the battlefist but I never really bothered to figure it out as to whether or not you could fire the dam thing like a gun in 4E.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

How hard is it to say that your warforged's grappling hook and fifty feet of rope are hidden in his arm?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

How hard is it to say that your warforged's grappling hook and fifty feet of rope are hidden in his arm?

How hard it is is up to your DM.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

zachol posted:

How hard it is is up to your DM.

if your GM would say no I think you need a better GM

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

everythingWasBees posted:

As much as I love the original Bionic Commando, I say screw the Commando arm, gimmie a Fantasy version of the Instinct Leash from Bulletstorm. :black101:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

everythingWasBees posted:

This is why I love my group, if we ever said something like 'yea my Warforged has a grappling hook but it's not in his bag it's loaded in his arm' I'm 100% sure everyone else'd say 'yea man Bionic Commando fuckin rules, good choice' and have no fear of someone being all 'uh but that can only be done with this feat listed in a five year old splatbook and requires 20 CON for some reason' or whatever.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Much as I appreciate that that is how a lot of people want to play, that sort of thing is like way too goofy for me to ever want to encounter in a game I was playing.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
The best character idea I've never ran was a halfling pretending to be a warforged (mechanically a warforged) with a bunch of gadgets attached, Iron Man style.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

PeterWeller posted:

As opposed to being an actual D&D weapon that has actual mechanical effects its rather lackluster. That and I'm more curious who came up the idea because as Neongrey rightly pointed out its goofy in a way that is so uncharacteristically D&D. Its a literal hand canon and there is no way to argue against the fluff. I think the only weaponry that is more goofier are the pneumatic weapons which were included in a setting that takes place primarily in water.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

neongrey posted:

Much as I appreciate that that is how a lot of people want to play, that sort of thing is like way too goofy for me to ever want to encounter in a game I was playing.

I think it depends upon the group, I can see myself going both ways really. But I think a lot of people here play D&D a bit looser and sillier than you and I.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

neongrey posted:

But that's the entire point, knowing what goes and what doesn't in a game you're playing. If you're playing high tales of true love and high adventure in Eberron, having a grapplinghookhand would probably fit with the tone. If you're doing the noir detective Eberron (more people should play this, it's awesome), your gritty hardened warforged detective is more likely to have a bottle of brandy hidden in his arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Arivia posted:

I think it depends upon the group, I can see myself going both ways really. But I think a lot of people here play D&D a bit looser and sillier than you and I.
I'm really sorry but this is canon to Eberron therefore it shall exist always. :colbert:
EDIT:
In case this doesn't get through that was sarcasm.

• Locked thread