Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That's too bad, but these one-off Mazdas really are technology tests I guess :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
My MS6 is approaching 90k, no real issues beyond me grenading my transfer case, and an intermittent CEL.

Some rust is starting to appear in the rear wheel wells though. Heartbreaking.

Sink Michigan. Call it the Great Lake (singular).

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Hello Mazda thread, I am looking to get a quick sanity check and then maybe after that I will be posting here! I'm fresh back to the states, I currently own no car, and I need a smaller car that I can use for a 30-minuteish commute to work every day that is both fun to drive and can still accommodate a child seat if necessary (welp). The Mazda3 looks like a great option and I had a good time driving my friend's '09.

I have a rental car that'll last until the end of August, so it seems like probably the best move is to wait until the 2015s come out and see what's up with those. Otherwise I think getting a 2014 model with the 2.5L engine is probably the way to go - I sacrifice a little efficiency but I think it's a worthwhile tradeoff. Is there any other outstanding reason why I shouldn't go with either the '14 or '15?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Get the Skyactive. You'll regret it in the long run if you don't.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Rhyno posted:

My poor 2011 :(

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Prop Wash posted:

Hello Mazda thread, I am looking to get a quick sanity check and then maybe after that I will be posting here! I'm fresh back to the states, I currently own no car, and I need a smaller car that I can use for a 30-minuteish commute to work every day that is both fun to drive and can still accommodate a child seat if necessary (welp). The Mazda3 looks like a great option and I had a good time driving my friend's '09.

I have a rental car that'll last until the end of August, so it seems like probably the best move is to wait until the 2015s come out and see what's up with those. Otherwise I think getting a 2014 model with the 2.5L engine is probably the way to go - I sacrifice a little efficiency but I think it's a worthwhile tradeoff. Is there any other outstanding reason why I shouldn't go with either the '14 or '15?

There shouldn't be much difference between the 14 and 15 models, so you are safe there. You still pull good MPG with the Skyactiv 2.5L too, don't worry about that

Rhyno posted:

The 2.5L is a Skyaciv engine, it just doesn't come with a manual :(

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

Nodoze posted:

There shouldn't be much difference between the 14 and 15 models, so you are safe there. You still pull good MPG with the Skyactiv 2.5L too, don't worry about that

The 2.5L is a Skyaciv engine, it just doesn't come with a manual :(

Yes and yes, no big difference between 14 and 15. Couple of tech stuff added to the lower trims, but nothing I think is major. 15s are getting shipped out soon.
No 2.5L on the manuals :(.

If you're going to buy one, hit me up. If you buy one this month, I can get you a good discount. After this month, I can still hook you up but the discount won't be as big.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Nodoze posted:

There shouldn't be much difference between the 14 and 15 models,

With the '14s being the lead year of their generation there might be some minor kinks worked out with the '15s. Only reason I could think of to hold out for one.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008

Stolennosferatu posted:

Yes and yes, no big difference between 14 and 15. Couple of tech stuff added to the lower trims, but nothing I think is major. 15s are getting shipped out soon.

If you're going to buy one, hit me up. If you buy one this month, I can get you a good discount. After this month, I can still hook you up but the discount won't be as big.

I shot you a PM, if you dont have PM's is there a way to contact you via email?

In other Mazda news, does anyone know anything about the delayed 6 Diesel? All I can scrounge up is it will come out sometime between now and never. My commute these days really would not take advantage of a diesel, but it would still be nice to know more about it.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

The Rev posted:

I shot you a PM, if you dont have PM's is there a way to contact you via email?

In other Mazda news, does anyone know anything about the delayed 6 Diesel? All I can scrounge up is it will come out sometime between now and never. My commute these days really would not take advantage of a diesel, but it would still be nice to know more about it.

Diesel? It's a mystery to everyone...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah I read at some point in the recent past (maybe Zoom-Zoom Magazine?) they still said calibrating for emissions or something.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Any advice for changing out headlight bulbs on a first gen MS3? The driver's side lowbeam on my brother's '08 burned out the other night...I was able to remove the battery & battery box, unbolt the engine compartment power distribution box and roll it to the side to get at the bulb. I'm assuming the passenger side bulb will follow shortly but it doesn't look like there's any such shortcut on the passenger side short of removing the washer fluid bottle (which may be easier than taking the front bumper off to pull the headlight assembly.)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Get a mirror on a stick thing. I freaking hate the metal clips.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

So I'm moving about 1,200 miles and I need to carry a bike.

Woot has one of the strap/hanger style racks on sale, and Yakima says it will fit: http://www.woot.com/offers/quickback-3-bike-trunk-rack?ref=cnt_wp_0_8

Anybody know if I can safely save some bucks and use one of those without damaging my 3 Hatch? Or should I spend the extra $400 (ouch) and get a full roofbar system?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

Or should I spend the extra $400 (ouch) and get a full roofbar system?
I have no comment re: the Woot rack, but for $400 I'd go the hitch + rack mount rather than roof racks on my 3. Maybe that's just me.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geoj posted:

Any advice for changing out headlight bulbs on a first gen MS3? The driver's side lowbeam on my brother's '08 burned out the other night...I was able to remove the battery & battery box, unbolt the engine compartment power distribution box and roll it to the side to get at the bulb. I'm assuming the passenger side bulb will follow shortly but it doesn't look like there's any such shortcut on the passenger side short of removing the washer fluid bottle (which may be easier than taking the front bumper off to pull the headlight assembly.)

HIDs or regular bulbs? HIDs you have to pull the housing out of the car, no loving way around it that I ever found.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Regular halogens. I already have the driver side bulb removed, just curious if there's an easier method for the passenger side beyond "remove bumper, then headlight assembly" as I suspect the bulb on that side will blow relatively soon.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
On the N/A I know it can be done without removing anything but boy do I hate it. Don't know if the MS3 has more hardware in the way or not. I think the dealer said they go in through the wheel well?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Cygni posted:

So I'm moving about 1,200 miles and I need to carry a bike.

Woot has one of the strap/hanger style racks on sale, and Yakima says it will fit: http://www.woot.com/offers/quickback-3-bike-trunk-rack?ref=cnt_wp_0_8

Anybody know if I can safely save some bucks and use one of those without damaging my 3 Hatch? Or should I spend the extra $400 (ouch) and get a full roofbar system?
Uhm, why would you do this for a one time thing, when you can UPS a bike for about $100?

nm fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 5, 2014

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

nm posted:

Uhm, why would you do this for a one time thing, when you can UPS a bike for about $100?

It's a vintage, fragile bike worth a whole lot of money and I would prefer to keep it with me. Plus then I've got a bike carrier if I ever need one.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I have no comment re: the Woot rack, but for $400 I'd go the hitch + rack mount rather than roof racks on my 3. Maybe that's just me.

I always hear those are poo poo on a car's paint, is really the only reason I'm not considering one.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Cygni posted:

It's a vintage, fragile bike worth a whole lot of money and I would prefer to keep it with me. Plus then I've got a bike carrier if I ever need one.
Just buy a Trico iron case. It will do a lot better than strapped to the back of a car. At that point, you haven't saved any money (the first time), but your bike will be in much better shape.
Also, you won't have to worry about it being stolen every time you buy food.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Which of the 30k mile services are really necessary? Of course any shop would love to sell you several hundred dollars worth of services, but I don't know mazdas that well. The fuel injection/system cleaning seems worthwhile because I've been noticing the throttle isn't quite as responsive, etc.
(2011 3 hatch). Also going to have to do my headlight lenses already, kinda bummed about that.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 9, 2014

Tahm Bwady
Aug 7, 2008

Its 1 thing to jump and be able to land on 2 feet but I had no idea I was landing in Heaven.Hope all is well on this good Friday
Found a 2006 MS6 for 5500. I feel like that's unusually low so is there anything on these I should really look for? I just wrecked my old car so finding such a good price has me relieved but also really suspicious.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Tahm Bwady posted:

Found a 2006 MS6 for 5500. I feel like that's unusually low so is there anything on these I should really look for? I just wrecked my old car so finding such a good price has me relieved but also really suspicious.

Get a compression test/inspection before you buy it. How many miles?

Tahm Bwady
Aug 7, 2008

Its 1 thing to jump and be able to land on 2 feet but I had no idea I was landing in Heaven.Hope all is well on this good Friday

Google Butt posted:

116K but just as a go to look at the listing, it's gone :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Google Butt posted:

Also find out if the timing chain recall has been done.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rear diff mounts/bolts and second gear synchros getting shredded from bros doing fully sick launches are also something to look for.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why

Stolennosferatu posted:

Hey I'm in the market for a car and am heavily leaning towards a 3. I don't know if it'll be happening this month and I might just wait until the 2015 3's come out (seems like end of this month or next month) but it'd be great if you could help me with the monies. I don't have PM's but if you could shoot me an email at username@gmail, I'd be grateful!

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

hmmxkrazee posted:

Hey I'm in the market for a car and am heavily leaning towards a 3. I don't know if it'll be happening this month and I might just wait until the 2015 3's come out (seems like end of this month or next month) but it'd be great if you could help me with the monies. I don't have PM's but if you could shoot me an email at username@gmail, I'd be grateful!

I just left the office so I'll shoot you a message tomorrow with pricing and poo poo.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

Which of the 30k mile services are really necessary?

I guess I will re-phrase this a bit then and ask whether, say, any of these can be reasonably done on my own, ie does the fuel injector cleaner you put in your gas tank work worth a drat or is it necessary to have them do the full flush, etc in the shop?

I don't have a good, safe, level spot to do much else on my own so I am trying to figure all of this out.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Do you have a Skyactiv 3 or the old-school MZR? Any variety of "fuel injection service" will be near worthless on the direct-injection Skyactiv - I never heard of a MS3 having dirty injectors, and the Skyactiv should run a good deal cleaner than the DISI does. The only cleaning you can do is to blast the back of the intake valves and that's not what anyone doing a "fuel injection service" is going to be doing.

If you've got a port-injected MZR... wouldn't hurt to run a bottle of seafoam through the tank or possibly a vacuum line.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I don't follow the MazdaspeedForums at all (I got pissed off at a large portion of the user base), but is anyone talking about having their intake valves media blasted or otherwise cleaned off? That's been one of my concerns since buying the car-- knowing that direct injection engines are prone to get carbon buildup on the valves.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Do you have a Skyactiv 3 or the old-school MZR? Any variety of "fuel injection service" will be near worthless on the direct-injection Skyactiv - I never heard of a MS3 having dirty injectors, and the Skyactiv should run a good deal cleaner than the DISI does. The only cleaning you can do is to blast the back of the intake valves and that's not what anyone doing a "fuel injection service" is going to be doing.

If you've got a port-injected MZR... wouldn't hurt to run a bottle of seafoam through the tank or possibly a vacuum line.

Mine is a 2011, so just before skyactiv (odd to think of that as old school haha). How do you get to the cabin air filter on that model 3? I figured through the glove box but I was told you have to get in through the dash. I'd like to take care of anything I can on my own (probably need to rotate the tires again too) rather than pay several hundred dollars.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

Mine is a 2011, so just before skyactiv (odd to think of that as old school haha). How do you get to the cabin air filter on that model 3? I figured through the glove box but I was told you have to get in through the dash. I'd like to take care of anything I can on my own (probably need to rotate the tires again too) rather than pay several hundred dollars.

Here's a guide I found when I went to do mine. Very easy, one filter slides in then you push it up until it stays, then the second filter slides in below it so they're stacked.

http://www.mazdaspeed-diy.com/2012/05/2010-mazda-3-mazdaspeed-3-cabin-air.html

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Search is down, so how do you guys feel about weighted knobs? Has anyone tried a heavy knob and disliked it?

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Aug 24, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Google Butt posted:

Search is down, so how do you guys feel about weighted knobs? Has anyone tried a heavy knob and disliked it?

They're cool and all, its just a pain that you have to wait for the swelling to subside before you can really enjoy the benefits.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Viper915 posted:

Here's a guide I found when I went to do mine. Very easy, one filter slides in then you push it up until it stays, then the second filter slides in below it so they're stacked.

http://www.mazdaspeed-diy.com/2012/05/2010-mazda-3-mazdaspeed-3-cabin-air.html

Had to order from amazon but looks easy enough, will try next weekend. Anyone have suggestions for a good sun shade? I still have my super old one from my last car which fits great but doesn't do poo poo to keep it cool. The top one from amazon doesn't seem like the right dimensions (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00E5OUOCQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1408980715&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40) - I measured like 53" by 32". Obviously I haven't bought one in ages so I don't know what's decent nowadays.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Ordered the jbr rsb, pretty excited to see how much of a difference it's going to make. Still working up the courage to do the AT internals myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhoge
Sep 10, 2008
Looking to buy a 2014 MS3 sedan, any consensus on which package I should be looking at? The iSport seems to be all I really need, but I haven had a chance to test drive all the different models. From calling arolund a couple dealerships near me, it looks like I can get a new one for around ~$18500 here in Northern California, but I haven't really pushed any salesman hard on that number. Any thoughts on whether that's reasonable?