Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

There are people in the LGBT community that think the last couple should be dropped because bisexuals are fake and trans people are insane perverts. There are extremists on every side of every issue, it doesn't mean "screw the whole thing" is a viable option.

I am not nor have I ever advocated "screwing the whole thing" re: feminism, just pointing out that toxic attitudes in feminist circles exist beyond "kids on the Internet!!!" it's a real problem and it needs to be addressed instead of dismissing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Zedd posted:

I own this book, I used to think it was a good book, It actually is a pretty bad book that makes a few decent points in the smuggest dick dorkins way possible. But at least I never got close to this level of Delusion :vince:

I once got in an argument on a friend's status about Richard Dawkins (she was a religious studies major who found him very annoying). I was pointing out how he compared the plight of atheists to that of homosexuals, and a gay Indian guy who worships came in and said, unironically, that he comes from a country where people are imprisoned for being gay and he still agrees with Dawkins, "but feel free to straight white boy educate me." I have never been so taken aback by a Facebook argument, and just let it go.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Cathy Brennan and her kind are lovely people for sure, but I don't think someone who buys into the idea of feminists as ugly man-hating lesbians knows or cares about TERFs. Hell, they'd probably agree with them.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

PresidentBeard posted:

That's true, but claiming that groups don't need to self police is stupid. Doubly so if you engage in no true scotsman arguments while doing so. Acknowledge that there are lovely feminists but that it's more lovely to throw the baby out with the dishwater.

The gently caress are you talking about?

Segmentation Fault posted:

I am not nor have I ever advocated "screwing the whole thing" re: feminism, just pointing out that toxic attitudes in feminist circles exist beyond "kids on the Internet!!!" it's a real problem and it needs to be addressed instead of dismissing it.

It is what she's doing, though. I understand that lovely elements of feminism exist and should be called out, but this woman's argument appears to be that feminism is bullshit because not all feminists are good people.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Slime posted:

No joke, I'm a huge loving dork poindexter nerdling and I when I look at him, I get the weirdest urge to stuff someone into a locker. He's awakening bully jock instincts buried deep within.
I would be tempted to help you, though more than anything my brain is trying hard to reject the idea that this person exists in real life, and cowering in feat from imagining what a conversation with him would even be like.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Richard Dawkins is the "Old man yells at cloud" of the atheist community.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The gently caress are you talking about?

Basically the same thing as Segmentation Fault. I'm just worse at saying it.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon
Hate to interrupt social justice chat, but how about some idiots on social media?

First, if you haven't subscribed to Lowtax's YouTube channel, you should probably do so because it produced this gem some time ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVUjVqKKmoI

... followed by this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDHuRQbnTo4

... and this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF6uEvwyTeg

Basically, this Steward HK Lar Lover guy is kinda nuts. The best part is that he showed up in the comments. Either someone told him that someone made some videos about him or he just wandered over. Here's one example:

Seriously, :wtc:

Taaaaaaarb! has a new favorite as of 00:15 on Aug 6, 2014

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
Doesn't know who Kojima is but just name drops MDickie like it ain't no thang. Steward HK Lar owns. Or is also MDickie. Or both!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Segmentation Fault posted:

But the thing that started this was obviously just using these groups as an easy way to dismiss feminism as a whole.

So this whole derail is dumb.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Hate to interrupt social justice chat, but how about some idiots on social media?

First, if you haven't subscribed to Lowtax's YouTube channel, you should probably do so because it produced this gem some time ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVUjVqKKmoI

... followed by this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDHuRQbnTo4

... and this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF6uEvwyTeg

Basically, this Steward HK Lar Lover guy is kinda nuts. The best part is that he showed up in the comments. Either someone told him that someone made some videos about him or he just wandered over. Here's one example:

Seriously, :wtc:

He has to be a troll. There is no way he can complain about violence in mgs, and then say MDickie is the greatest developer of our time. That's too obvious.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vanrushal posted:

Doesn't know who Kojima is but just name drops MDickie like it ain't no thang. Steward HK Lar owns. Or is also MDickie. Or both!

Does Metal Gear Solid ring a bell at all?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

LoonShia posted:

Richard Dawkins is the "Old man yells at cloud" of the atheist community.

Here's some more recent tweets from Dawkins where he continues his hobby of being an insufferable rear end on twitter

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Broenheim posted:

He has to be a troll. There is no way he can complain about violence in mgs, and then say MDickie is the greatest developer of our time. That's too obvious.

I dunno. All his uploaded content is Steward HK Lar Lover songs and whatnot. Besides, it's not like the guy is intellectually consistent or anything.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Steward HK Lar Lover is probably MDickie, because that's the only person who likes MDickie.

Edit:

"Mild rape." Just let that phrase sink in for a second.

Laocius has a new favorite as of 00:30 on Aug 6, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Amused to Death posted:

Here's some more recent tweets from Dawkins where he continues his hobby of being an insufferable rear end on twitter

Date rape has the same rating system as taco bell hot sauce.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Laocius posted:

Is there a rape scale like the one at the bottom of Thai menus?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Is "mild pedophilia" where that nymphet seduces you so you're the real victim of her prepubescent wiles?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Is this the same guy that got hell dumped a few years ago under the name "pastor Lucas" or something? Or just another cliche neckbeard?

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Is this the same guy that got hell dumped a few years ago under the name "pastor Lucas" or something? Or just another cliche neckbeard?
You're thinking of Pastor Travis: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2919060 (needs archives)

EDIT: the waffleimages links in that thread are all dead, but here's a link to the paper he still writes for - they're having a contest where the prize involves accompanying him (this guy vvv) to a local Joan Jett gig.

Zero Star has a new favorite as of 01:37 on Aug 6, 2014

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Date rape has the same rating system as taco bell hot sauce.

It also has those cute little quotes on the package.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Zero Star posted:

EDIT: the waffleimages links in that thread are all dead, but here's a link to the paper he still writes for - they're having a contest where the prize involves accompanying him (this guy vvv) to a local Joan Jett gig.

I don't even want to know what second place gets.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Centripetal Horse posted:

I don't even want to know what second place gets.

Second place gets a small baggy containing the portion of his neckbeard meant to cover his chin.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Zero Star posted:

You're thinking of Pastor Travis: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2919060 (needs archives)

Ah thank you! I was pretty close.

That thread is a great read, if you haven't already folks.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Amused to Death posted:

I just had a friend post this on facebook with "he may not be everyone's favorite person, but i have to admit I see the point he is getting at."

When I pointed out that if he wanted a logical discussion he would/should not have used inflammatory statements on Twitter to change hearts and minds rather than, say, a well-referenced book on the topic, I was told that as a woman, I can't be logical about this topic.

Time to prune. I'm over Dunbar's number anyway.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dienes posted:

I just had a friend post this on facebook with "he may not be everyone's favorite person, but i have to admit I see the point he is getting at."

When I pointed out that if he wanted a logical discussion he would/should not have used inflammatory statements on Twitter to change hearts and minds rather than, say, a well-referenced book on the topic, I was told that as a woman, I can't be logical about this topic.

Time to prune. I'm over Dunbar's number anyway.

You should ask what exactly rating them accomplishes. I mean from a judicial point of view sure, but that isn't his place.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

CharlestheHammer posted:

You should ask what exactly rating them accomplishes. I mean from a judicial point of view sure, but that isn't his place.

Wayyy ahead of you. Dawkins is right to insist on ranking because it is part of logically and rationally discussing it! I mean, there are philosophical thought experiments on morality in which we discuss if it is worse to kill one person to save 5 or to let the first 5 die, this is no different. And since Dawkins is a scientist, he is a master of logical argument, regardless of topic.

Ah, but as a woman I am 'too emotionally invested to be logical about rape.' Thank goodness men are there to do the logical work for me, apparently.

Its really sad, the guy never had an iota of this nonsense in his posts until today. Dick Dorkins just brings out the best in people.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

Excels posted:

Most of my knowledge only goes up to about a month after Jon left, that's when I unsubscribed. I don't care about Danny at all, I find his voice annoying to listen to. He sounds too fake, and repeats his bad jokes ad-nauseum. Jon and Arin just seemed very genuine, Danny and Arin sound like a couple of gross, sleazy douchebags.

WOLFJOB

I agree with all of this post, but Dan settled in pretty good since that time period, and Jon leaving allows for Steam Train to have a rotating cast (GG was originally going to continue with Jon and Arin, and ST going to be just Ross and Dan). I mean, they have a pretty big delay between recording and release so feedback takes a while before it has a noticeable affect.

Someone should start a business and just charge these internet famous chucklefucks to be their community managers/PR people, Phil Fish coulda used it too.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I can't find any of them now because of Youtube's stupid comment system, but the funniest thing about Jon's departure were all the fake Jontron accounts calling Danny an unfunny hack and begging Arin to fire him even though they're all friends in real life.

Dishonorable Disco
Dec 22, 2009

the sun always shines on TV

There are extremists on every side of every issue, it doesn't mean "screw the whole thing" is a viable option.

Can we get this engraved in stone over the entrance to the U.S. Capitol building? (Preferably in Latin.)

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Laocius posted:

I may have committed some light treason.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Your honor, I stand before you a man accused of violent murder, but I move that the charges should only be mild murder as the victim was drugged at the time!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

If larceny can be petty, cannot also aggravated sexual assault? I only rubbed my glans 'gainst her labia, officer, is that really very much rape at all?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
"Everything is bad if you don't take it in Moderation. It was only a little rape. Hell it might even be healthy for you!"

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick

Zero Star posted:

That thread was the best. Where is the link to the paper?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

DrProsek posted:

Your honor, I stand before you a man accused of violent murder, but I move that the charges should only be mild murder as the victim was drugged at the time!

The victim is only mostly dead!

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Holy poo

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon
So, who wants more Steward HK Lar Lover? Bonus :siren:MISANDRY:siren: at the bottom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

So, who wants more Steward HK Lar Lover? Bonus :siren:MISANDRY:siren: at the bottom:

This isn't the kind of batshit crazy you get from spending too much time in echo chambers. I've got no idea what the gently caress his deal is, but I doubt he's an MRA or anything like that.

• Locked thread