Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

:stare:

The teenage pregnancy rate in the USA is so high that multiple pregnancies in one grade at one high school is considered below-average?

edit: Apparently it's two and a half times higher than in Canada.

There's a reason shows like "16 and Pregnant" and "Teen Mom" are Things here.

The prevalence of southern accents on those shows is also a bit telling. Which isn't to say its restricted to the south, but that belt of low-income red states with abstinence-only "sex ed" doesn't really help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
So this actually made me curious about were my school actually stood. The CDC says that teen pregnancy rates are around 30 per 1000, which is down significantly over 20 years ago when that rate was 60 in 1000. So yeah, we still have a big problem and poo poo heads are attacking and trying to stifle the methods we've used to successfully cut down on the problem, namely comprehensive sex ed and easy access to birth control.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Spoeank posted:

Oh trust me, it was in lieu of other services. Among other things, my Health teacher tried to convince us that when he was working his way through college as a janitor (16 hour days combined) that he would eat only a loaf of bread with a jar of peanut butter and a jar of jelly a month. And he wasn't a crazy old man, he was probably 40. What a terrible institution.

I don't have a ton of examples since it was only two weeks, but it has a reputation for being a poo poo pit.

Even so, the far more typical solution is for the high schools to pressure teenage mothers to drop out.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

I knew a a guy who had a huge DVD library and kept all the R-Rated/rare stuff in a walk-in closet with honest to god velvet rope poles lining it.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I don't know if it was intentional, but Cuisinart is an American brand.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

This is comedy, right here.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

I dont know posted:

Even so, the far more typical solution is for the high schools to pressure teenage mothers to drop out.

That was the solution in my (rural, Southern) district in the 90s. But uh, let's be clear here, you're saying "high school" but this happened in "junior high" and "middle school" as well. 6th grade was the first time I had a pregnant classmate never be seen or heard from again.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Fief world problems

You glorious, glorious bastard. May you never die.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I freaking love ye fowl herald.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

How are you so good at this?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

How much do I have to donate for a physical book of like a hundred of these?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Scratch another one off the list of "Reagan Accomplishments"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

StarPilot87 posted:

That car must have some sentient rust or something, it's never in the same place.

It's just iridescent like drunky duck. Totally intentional. Nine hours.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

You can't call it a cold war every goddamn time we have poor relations with a country, otherwise we would have been in ones with Iran, Venezuela, and N Korea for decades.

Oh wait, the country we have poor relations with happens to be named Russia? :derp: COLD WARRR :derp:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I skipped a shitload of this thread to catch up, what's this about nine hours?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

TetsuoTW posted:

I skipped a shitload of this thread to catch up, what's this about nine hours?

Muir claimed on Facebook that he "lost nine hours of work" when his computer crapped out in the middle of creating a strip. It's the new 60 hours of research.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Plague of Hats posted:

Muir claimed on Facebook that he "lost nine hours of work" when his computer crapped out in the middle of creating a strip. It's the new 60 hours of research.
Makes sense. And don't undersell Tinsley's commitment - it's 80-90 hours of research.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Properly citing your source* on a news item doesn't just happen, it takes work!

*abcnews.com

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

Makes sense. And don't undersell Tinsley's commitment - it's 80-90 hours of research.

Looking hitting F5 on the Drudge Report for five days straight takes commitment.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

This has been posted, right? What the gently caress do the first two panels have to do with the rest of it? Did his computer crash after creating them and he just did something else with the rest?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

OAquinas posted:

There's a reason shows like "16 and Pregnant" and "Teen Mom" are Things here.

The prevalence of southern accents on those shows is also a bit telling. Which isn't to say its restricted to the south, but that belt of low-income red states with abstinence-only "sex ed" doesn't really help.

Fun fact: both of these shows resulted in lowered birthrates among teens: http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/13/health/16-pregnant-teens-childbirth/

So, yeah, sexual education in American public schools is less informative and helpful than a reality TV show that airs on MTV. Make of that what you will.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sir Tonk posted:

This has been posted, right? What the gently caress do the first two panels have to do with the rest of it? Did his computer crash after creating them and he just did something else with the rest?

Yeah, the way Muir structures his sunday strips is weird. I think he's trying to do a thing like Sunday newspaper comics, where the title panel and extra first panel have nothing to do with the rest of the comic. The end result of this is that his sunday strips are weird and disjointed, because they're effectively two separate comics.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

I think it's a Sunday strip, so the first row of panels is a self-contained joke irrelevant to the rest of the strip. Because that's what Doonesbury (and most newspaper strips) do on Sunday.

e: to the f to the b

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

I don't speak fluent Muir, but I think the implication is that Holder is such a knee-jerk reactor that he thinks even the animals are spouting racial slurs, which is then followed up by what Muiry Sue and Waifu perceive to be proof that, in fact, the hatred toward Obama is not racism at all.

As always, the tl;dr is that Muir is a shithead.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Sir Tonk posted:

I assumed the strip was an edit until I got to the end and it wasn't funny.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ZDar Fan posted:

I think it's a Sunday strip, so the first row of panels is a self-contained joke irrelevant to the rest of the strip. Because that's what Doonesbury (and most newspaper strips) do on Sunday.

e: to the f to the b

And the newspaper strips do it because those panels get cut for space a lot of the time.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

First, they came for the cupcakes, and I did not speak up, because I did not eat cupcakes...

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I like to imagine all these anti-healthy eating people are covert fat fetishists.

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.

The threat of impeachment is just a big intangible ball of gas. A Pokemon Cartoon.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hope 'n Change is like if the US Collective Dad Anima made a political cartoon.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Helmets are for pussies. What we need is President Gary Busey is what we need. Look deep into your navel and guts to see what the universe is telling you is true.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

If Obama wasn't wearing a helmet the same people would probably criticize him for setting a bad example for the kids or something along those lines.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
But he'd still be on a bicycle, not a horse or tank or whatever manly men like Putin would ride around in

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

zoux posted:

Hope 'n Change is like if the US Collective Dad Anima made a political cartoon.

It's pretty much a rip off if "get your war on" from Rolling Stone in the Bush years, yet somehow even less funny.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
The War that Was

We don't know if the war is over yet but it's not too early to mull over some things we learned.
Labels: Gaza, Hamas, Human Shields, Israel, Palestine, Terrorism, UN, UNRWA

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

uncleTomOfFinland posted:

If Obama wasn't wearing a helmet the same people would probably criticize him for setting a bad example for the kids or something along those lines.

Obviously I understand what you are trying to say here and generally it's true but no. You have no idea how hard conservatives hate helmets. I've seen a dad call his 7 year old boy a fag for wearing a helmet. Helmet hatred would probably transcend Obama hatred in that case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

JaggerMcDagger posted:

The War that Was

"Every school had a bomb shelter! Which is good, because we did indeed bomb the crap out of some schools."

• Locked thread