Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.
Yeah no poo poo. Simpson and his donkey were known for helping wounded soldiers, not making them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Mad Katter posted:

The photo is of Wyatt Roy, who was the youngest Australian elected to parliament back on 2010.

Sam Dastyari posted it on Facebook and called him out, but Wyatt Roy come along and posted that he he took it to commemorate the first world war or something: https://m.facebook.com/senator.sam.dastyari/photos/a.280027748812387.1073741829.269334213215074/341317172683444/?type=1&source=46

gently caress knows how waving a gun around is an appropriate way to commemorate the enormous and senseless waste of life though.

I keep telling you people about Howard years history education.

It bad.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Israel have caused otherwise ambivalent people to become actual anti-semites, in the same way that Al Qaeda have caused people to become Islamophobes

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Yeah look I've read Manufacturing Consent a few times and I'm not particularly daft. Jim is talking dumb poo poo about this bus situation.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Well I haven't so I don't know the nuances. How does it not fit for these children to be "worthy victims" in the eyes of some propagandaMurdoch rag?

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Haters Objector posted:

Israel have caused otherwise ambivalent people to become actual anti-semites, in the same way that Al Qaeda have caused people to become Islamophobes

Also this. Not just islamophobes, but just generally more racist towards Arabic and Asian peoples.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Captain Pissweak posted:

It bad.

Howard taught us that WWI/ANZAC remembrances are rallies where we go and cheer our soldiers who fought for our freedoms; it's like Australia Day for soldiers. With that in mind, you can see how that picture would make total sense to young Wyatt.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mad Katter posted:

The photo is of Wyatt Roy, who was the youngest Australian elected to parliament back on 2010.

Sam Dastyari posted it on Facebook and called him out, but Wyatt Roy come along and posted that he he took it to commemorate the first world war or something: https://m.facebook.com/senator.sam.dastyari/photos/a.280027748812387.1073741829.269334213215074/341317172683444/?type=1&source=46

gently caress knows how waving a gun around is an appropriate way to commemorate the enormous and senseless waste of life though.

It fits, since Wyatt Roy is a senseless waste of a life.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Amoeba102 posted:

Well I haven't so I don't know the nuances. How does it not fit for these children to be "worthy victims" in the eyes of some propagandaMurdoch rag?

In my interpretation, you don't apply the concept until there's appreciable media coverage. So, not just when a terrorgraph link has been up for 4 hours. It's about the culture, not one article, and if anyone in the media persists with this story they'll have to admit that they're dealing with white supremacists so it will derail the whole narrative. So these children won't exist in the narrative, but they will exist as traumatised kids outside of it who were manipulated by their parents and propagandists and mocked by idiots for absolutely bullshit reasons which had nothing to do with ensuring their wellbeing.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Not to mention how grotty it is that someone's response to a bunch of preteen kids who go to a religious school getting threatened by neonazis in a metal box is 'hmm problematic that this is reported, reeks of propaganda amirite'

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Seriously, stop whatever you're doing and watch the full interview. The guy who thinks of himself as the smartest man in Cabinet (if not the parliament) takes literally five minutes to stammer and stutter his way through explaining the difference between a website and a webpage. "We're not monitoring your web surfing, just the addresses of the sites you visit"

Clark & Dawe are out of a job.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tokamak posted:

Howard taught us that WWI/ANZAC remembrances are rallies where we go and cheer our soldiers who fought for our freedoms; it's like Australia Day for soldiers.

God its always depressing to see people happy cheering away at war remembrance events, or just for war in general.

War is poo poo. Its purpose is pretty much just to destroy lives as fast as possibles. Even those who don't die often carry the trauma of it for the rest of their lives. Why the hell would any one ever cheer for that. Even in the rare wars where some good resulted -and by something good results I mean preventing something even worse from happening, usually a genocide or less directed mass civilian slaughter- that still doesn't make it good, it just makes it slightly less terrible.

Humanity can often be pretty awesome, but some aspects of it are just straight hosed up.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Didn't get a chance to catch Ferguson vs. Pyne on 7.30 tonight and it isn't up on iview yet. Was it satisfyingly brutal?

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

ABCNews23 @ABCNews23 · May 21
#breaking Frances Abbott expected to make full recovery from first degree burns.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Captain Pissweak posted:

It bad.

I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but when I did history in year 6-10 we were taught that Gallipoli was a great victory for Australia and our soldiers were hard men who fought against ten times their number and managed to get away cleanly by being ingenious.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Murodese posted:

I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but when I did history in year 6-10 we were taught that Gallipoli was a great victory for Australia and our soldiers were hard men who fought against ten times their number and managed to get away cleanly by being ingenious.

I didn't learn we lost at school.

A movie taught me that.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Less a loss and more batting out till the end of day 5 despite injuries, a fixed pitch and biased umpires, is the message I got from school.

BloatedCorpse
May 11, 2005
Downstairs

webmeister posted:

Seriously, stop whatever you're doing and watch the full interview. The guy who thinks of himself as the smartest man in Cabinet (if not the parliament) takes literally five minutes to stammer and stutter his way through explaining the difference between a website and a webpage. "We're not monitoring your web surfing, just the addresses of the sites you visit"

Clark & Dawe are out of a job.

(edit: broken image)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Captain Pissweak posted:

I didn't learn we lost at school.

A movie taught me that.

I seem to say this every month, so time to get it out of the way early this time:

Similarly, I didn't know we lost at Gallipoli until seeing the actual movie; it was apparently more important that we know what an Australian trench looked like, down to specific details, than whether or not we won in them.

The worse one to me is still Eureka, though. I didn't know it was a failure until last year, when explaining the name of the Australian mech from Pacific Rim to an American friend of mine. Guillermo del Toro indirectly taught me more Australian history than my actual Australian history course.

That lovely Howard history curriculum REALLY hosed up my sense of both perspective and actual historical fact. Not only did it gloss over our failures and shady poo poo (of which there were many; Australia hasn't exactly had the most glorious history), the overfocus on what little we do have meant that I had a twisted grasp of the history of the rest of the world in comparison.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

I was at school during the Howard years and I learned we lost :shobon:

They even showed us Gallipoli

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

Fruity Gordo posted:

In my interpretation, you don't apply the concept until there's appreciable media coverage. So, not just when a terrorgraph link has been up for 4 hours. It's about the culture, not one article, and if anyone in the media persists with this story they'll have to admit that they're dealing with white supremacists so it will derail the whole narrative. So these children won't exist in the narrative, but they will exist as traumatised kids outside of it who were manipulated by their parents and propagandists and mocked by idiots for absolutely bullshit reasons which had nothing to do with ensuring their wellbeing.

It's the front page story for today's Telegraph.

I was going to write something more but I'm just too tired to articulate it.

Ler fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 6, 2014

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Whatever you learned about Gallipoli or Eureka in school prior to or during the Howard years is informative of how awful your teachers were. Nobody ever changed the curricula to say "tell them we won."

Also some guy on the bus just flicked open his copy of the Terrorgraph to what looked like a section heading saying "SMH IN CRISIS." Before I choke him for giving money to Rupert, are they seriously dedicating pages, plural, to making GBS threads on Fairfax?

:stare:

Smegmatron fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 6, 2014

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/terror-touches-down-20140806-3d8wj.html

quote:

Rampant visa fraud and migration crime involving people flying into Australia are going unchecked while the government focuses on stopping boats, according to secret government files detailing entrenched Immigration Department failings.

Hundreds of pages of leaked confidential departmental documents obtained by Fairfax Media reveal that Australia's national security is being compromised by wide-scale visa rorting and migration rackets operating with impunity, including some with links to terrorism or organised crime.

The confidential Immigration Department files reveal repeated internal warnings over several years that widespread visa fraud is "business as usual yet remains largely untreated" because the department's investigation and enforcement capacity has collapsed.
loving lol

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

That you, Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a fucking dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us.

duck monster posted:

Its yet another groupsicle to come out of the "national alternative" which split up a while back. @ndy slackbastard will probably do a write up at some point soon.

Duck Monster: in your opinion, what is the state of play w/r/t the vitality of fascist/racist/fuckhead groups in Australia today? On the rise? Dying a slow death? Maintaining a toehold?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yes, Minister on metadata.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FRVvjGL2C0

Murodese posted:

The retreat and evacuation at Gallipoli was by far the most successful part of the operation.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 7, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

re: the schoolkids and the neo-nazis:

quote:

Police arrested five of the teenagers at Dover Heights, in Sydney's eastern suburbs, at 3:30am on Thursday after residents recognised them from publicity over the attack.

The teenagers were taken into custody but were too drunk for police to interview.
:australia:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-07/teenagers-arrested-for-bondi-school-bus-abuse/5654108

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

That you, Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a fucking dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us.

Cleretic posted:

I seem to say this every month, so time to get it out of the way early this time:

Similarly, I didn't know we lost at Gallipoli until seeing the actual movie; it was apparently more important that we know what an Australian trench looked like, down to specific details, than whether or not we won in them.

The worse one to me is still Eureka, though. I didn't know it was a failure until last year, when explaining the name of the Australian mech from Pacific Rim to an American friend of mine. Guillermo del Toro indirectly taught me more Australian history than my actual Australian history course.

That lovely Howard history curriculum REALLY hosed up my sense of both perspective and actual historical fact. Not only did it gloss over our failures and shady poo poo (of which there were many; Australia hasn't exactly had the most glorious history), the overfocus on what little we do have meant that I had a twisted grasp of the history of the rest of the world in comparison.

Truth. At my high school, we certainly got a little bit of "war is fatalistic hell" from a broad philosophical point of view, but the actual details got glossed over to a degree I am only just now beginning to realise.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yes, Minister on metadata.

Completely unrealistic in the Australian political context. Someone in the Prime Minister's Office knows what they're doing.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Teens too drunk to interview. Great work Australia

Not going to watch that Brandis interview, no matter how hilarious or gut wrenching it is.

However here's a photo of everyone's favourite punchable face at the Free Speech conference today:

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A former Canadian politician turned financial advice author/blogger has some advice for an Australian senator. Can one of you give him a shout?

http://www.greaterfool.ca/2014/08/06/no-kidding/

You probably want to steer clear of letting people pillage their retirement saving for house down payments.

E: ugh phone posting

ocrumsprug fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 7, 2014

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
My History education was pre-Howard to early days of Howard.

We were taught that we lost valiantly at Gallipoli but only because the British dumped us on the wrong beach. We are taught that our poor ANZACs were slaughtered coming off the boats into machine gun fire. The thing is, we probably landed on the correct beach as the one that we were supposed to land on had ten thousand Turkish troops sitting there waiting for us. If the ANZACs had tried to land there, they would have been an utterly slaughtered.

The actually beach landing was one of the most successful in history with only a half dozens casualties in the first hour. The main reason the Turkish were able to pin them down was that Ataturk (i.e. the father of modern secular Turkey) defied orders from his superiors and the Germans to move troops in the way of the advancing ANZACs (the Germans thought that it was a feint and wanted the troops to stay at the beach where they were "supposed" to land).

Sorry to :goonsay: out - but it's one of those little myths that piss me off

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Freudian Slip posted:

Sorry to :goonsay: out - but it's one of those little myths that piss me off

Nah that's really interesting, don't apologise! I got taught the same bullshit about it all being the pom's fault.

Splode fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 7, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Can't have that, it paints turks as people who have agency and positive characteristics such as bravery and skill, rather than as a barbarous swarthy tennis ball machine.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

poo poo man, you can put anything on Newspapers these days and the most punishment you'll get is your article displayed on some ABC program.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
yeah the british who did land at the "correct" beach got loving slaughtered

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I suppose Gallipoli is easier to pronounce than Pozières or a bit more exciting sounding than The Battle of Mouquet Farm. Though back then troops dubbed it "Moo-Cow Farm".

Then again pretty much all my war history came well after high school thanks to the Internet. We were only given a cursory pass over in "Aus Studies", which was a separate class from "history" during the height of the Howard era when ANZAC was ramping up to be a jingoistical rock concert.

Gallipoli was pretty much summed up as "we believed Germans were killing nuns and kittens in Belgium, so we went over there because the Poms told us to, and we didn't really do very well. But we celebrate the "Aussie Battler Spirit" as a result."
And watching The Lighthorsemen, Gallipoli and Breaker Morant, for some odd reason - we had no idea what the Boer War was, and just assumed it was something from the first.

I don't think I even learnt why or how WWI was started, I had to have the joke "Franz Ferdinand found alive, First World War a mistake" explained to me. Let alone the other global events that were occurring that weren't on a beachfront in Turkey.

BogDew fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 7, 2014

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
From the Arse-tralian:

quote:

Sex workers to have to wait longer to get dole

SEX workers and table-top dancers who lose their jobs will not be eligible for a reduction in the number of months they have to wait before they can get the dole, sparking accusations the Abbott government is imposing moral judgments on the social welfare system.

Even unemployed people who claim they have worked by running for public office will have to wait longer than others to get the Newstart Allowance.

Welfare Rights has written a submission to the government, declaring its outrage at the “moral judgments” being made in new rules.

Other concerns raised by Welfare Rights in its submission include new rules that make unemployed people spend their savings — before the six-month waiting period for the dole even begins. Welfare Rights says the treatment of the Liquid Assets Waiting Period (LAWP) is particularly unfair.

Under changes unveiled in the May budget, those younger than 30 will be cut off the dole for six months. If they enrol in a course, they can apply for a lower welfare payment to study.

The waiting period for New­start will reduce depending on past employment. The reduction will be a month for every year of prior work, except for school leavers; otherwise no income support will be provided. Part-time employment would also be recognised on a pro-rata basis.

In the explanatory memorandum for the bill circulated by Social Services Minister Kevin Andrews, the waiting period for “gainful work” would operate differently for different categories of work.

“Gainful work is defined to mean any work for financial gain or reward,” it says. “As examples, the minister could provide that particular kinds of gainful work do not cause a reduced waiting period if the work: does not involve a substantial degree of consistent personal exertion; consists of domestic or gardening tasks in relation to the place of residence of the person or a member of their family; consists of the management of financial investments in which the person or a member of their family has an interest; involves nudity or is in the sex industry; or is for the purpose of achieving election of the person to public office.”

In its submission, Welfare Rights says it is alarming that the minister may determine that there is no reduction for gainful work for a myriad reasons.

“In our submission, it is objectionable to allow moral judgments to enter the Social Security Act and determine something as important as length of waiting period.,” it says.

“If the work is lawful and gainful, then it should reduce the waiting period. This debate should not be about whether or not this is condoning such work (the law does that elsewhere — it is legal after all). Rather, it is about equity.”

Mr Andrews said “part-time employment will also be recognised on a part-time basis”. The minister did not address questions about legal sex work.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Who was it that asked for meta-data to be stored in paper format? I read it a few days ago but didnt save it!

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Closing the loopholes to make it perfectly clear that yes we do in fact want you destitute and starving for 6 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Kat Delacour posted:

Closing the loopholes to make it perfectly clear that yes we do in fact want you destitute and starving for 6 months.

Actually I think in this case it's the Coalition wanting to dodge very real and accurate accusations that they may be encouraging/forcing women into sex work because of their changes.

• Locked thread