Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

Archonex posted:

I really need to play this more often. The computer I had my install on had a hard drive crash and I never got around to reinstalling it. Which I guess is a bit lovely of me since I made the OP and got a fair number of people interested in it. :stonk:

But yeah, 7 Days to Die is a mecca of griefing potential. Think early era Age of Wushu levels of tears if you want an idea of it. I was the one who posted the story about the underground city sitting beneath a lake getting that same lake dropped on top of it, leading to all of it's occupants dying a horrifying death thanks to careful demolition work and a bit of panic. It's only gotten crazier since then.

Plus the community has that right level of creativity, general intolerance, and potential berserk fury to go with the insane tools the devs give you to be a post apocalyptic jackass. Couple in actually decent combat mechanics and you can sometimes get situations where there's an hour long siege of your base by pubbies who are so angry at you loving with them that they sound rabid.

I remember that at one point early on in the thread Murderchurch had at least like 15 pubbies just dying and rushing the place for two hours against our fortified defenses. They weren't even armed. They'd just ram themselves onto our wooden pungi stick traps to try and clog them down with corpses, advance through withering machine gun and sniper fire to wear down our ammo supply, and at one point literally sapped our walls by clawing the dirt under it out with their bare hands, all so they could close on us and try to beat us to death with their fists in a blind rage.

This was because over the course of a week or two we made their lives a living hell by constantly chasing them through the woods with scoped rifles like we were that hunter in The Most Dangerous Game, occasionally popping off wild shots to keep them running forever. Or we'd just invite them inside Murderchurch, make them think they were welcome, then offer to baptize them which meant a shotgun blast to the head as a way to join our ranks. Or we'd find their home and place a high explosive mine right inside the doorway so that they'd step on it when trying to bring loot back to their base. Or just turn entire towns and buildings into explosive death traps that'd collapse on top of you the moment you set off a booby trap.

Due to our dickery we were pretty much the only people with guns, or even anything like the basic amenities to survive. Eventually the pubbies all just kind of snapped at the hellhole we made out of the server and formed the closest thing a game can get to a barbarian horde to try and bring us down and take our poo poo. Some dude even tried to ambush me outside Murderchuch at one point with a makeshift axe made out of a sharp rock he had tied to a stick.

Ahh yes, I remember this pubbie swarm. There were so many of those idiots just running in trying to dig under the walls and get to our weapons that they lagged the server pretty hard. There was only like 3 or 4 of us but we must have held them off for a good while before they had sapped the entire base and I had to grab our weapon caches and hide it deep underground in our secret grave tunnels. I quit after the hacking got so bad that I couldn't build or grief on our server because a hacker would come on and lag the whole game by spawning a magnum pistol that shot out 300 blocks of terrain every shot. Maybe it's time to reinstall though, there were so many ways to have fun creating pubbie tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

-Zydeco- posted:

Server came back up.

Coming up from the south this is the first thing you will see.
SW corner

SE corner

at the very center of all this is their base.

Their views from the inner wall.

Same and a view of Molo's DMZ art installation "Dick with a Dick".

Scenic DMZ wildlife viewing tower.

Also, and update on the Batman saga from a few days ago, he finally came back. Unfortunately, in this game if your bed or sleeping bag is removed or destroyed while you are offline your spawn will be fixed until you lay another bag or bed down. This means that Batman's spawn is perpetually about 30 feet up over a pit of spike leading to his untimely and since he keeps spawning in midair due to no access to a sleeping bag or place to put it, repeated death. We have named the site the "Batman memorial crater" in his honor and in recognition of the endless entertainment he provided.

I really wish I still had time to play PC games. That's just fantastic.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Inkel posted:

Ahh yes, I remember this pubbie swarm. There were so many of those idiots just running in trying to dig under the walls and get to our weapons that they lagged the server pretty hard. There was only like 3 or 4 of us but we must have held them off for a good while before they had sapped the entire base and I had to grab our weapon caches and hide it deep underground in our secret grave tunnels. I quit after the hacking got so bad that I couldn't build or grief on our server because a hacker would come on and lag the whole game by spawning a magnum pistol that shot out 300 blocks of terrain every shot. Maybe it's time to reinstall though, there were so many ways to have fun creating pubbie tears.

That entire siege was pretty ridiculous given how many of them lost their poo poo and just rushed the place all at once. I don't think i've ever seen so many people simultaneously get so angry over griefing a game before.

They were outright throwing themselves onto landmines (Which always kill just as many careless goons in every incarnation of Murderchurch as they do pubbies.) and spike traps to get at us. I think that one goon who was sniping racked up like 30 or 40 kills due to their enraged persistence and numbers by just standing on the roof as a lookout.

To elaborate on them sapping us, at one point they had literally undermined and clawed their way underneath the church to try and get at us. We ended up discovering that when a goon stopped shooting long enough for him to literally hear the sound of them scrabbling at the blocks underneath the floor like some sort of horror movie monster. It turned out there was a whole team of them down there trying to cause the church to collapse in some sort of suicidal (and futile, we had moved the loot) bid to ensure we all suffered together. :stare:

The good news is that the hacking is mostly fixed now. Pretty sure the servers are VAC protected and they've done some work to deal with the Minecraft rejects who kept doing unfunny griefing like that. So if you gently caress around with hacks on the game you stand the risk of getting VAC banned off of Steam. Which from what I was told has cut down on the number of people doing that immensely.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 26, 2014

wuat
Jul 12, 2009

Archonex posted:

That the entire siege was pretty ridiculous given how many of them lost their poo poo and just rushed the place all at once. I don't think i've ever seen so many people simultaneously get so angry over griefing a game before.

They were outright throwing themselves onto landmines (Which always kill just as many careless goons in every incarnation of Murderchurch as they do pubbies.) and spike traps to get at us. I think that one goon who was sniping racked up like 30 or 40 kills due to their enraged persistence and numbers by just standing on the roof as a lookout.

To elaborate on them sapping us, at one point they had literally undermined and clawed their way underneath the church to try and get at us. We ended up discovering that when a goon stopped shooting long enough for him to literally hear the sound of them scrabbling at the blocks underneath the floor like some sort of horror movie monster. It turned out there was a whole team of them down there trying to cause the church to collapse in some sort of suicidal (and futile, we had moved the loot) bid to ensure we all suffered together. :stare:

The good news is that the hacking is mostly fixed now. Pretty sure the servers are VAC protected and they've done some work to deal with the Minecraft rejects who kept doing unfunny griefing like that. So if you gently caress around with hacks on the game you stand the risk of getting VAC banned off of Steam. Which from what I was told has cut down on the number of people doing that immensely.

well "vac banned off steam" isn't really correct, you'd be just get banned from 7d2d, and that's only if they're actually running vac. A lot of games say they are but don't

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The new steam game Velvet Sundown is OK. You're all on a boat, either a thief or an oil consultant. You're seeking info on rival oil companies and can pay top dollar for the info. It's free and it looks nice.

The griefable bits:
Each round lasts 34 minutes, even if the win conditions are met.
The voice to text. "Hey, how are you" subsides within minutes to "596736423511 semi colon semi colon".
You can't interact with someone who isn't online and get their files.

Ergo, if you log on, get the data always in an open dresser downstairs, 15 seconds from any spawn, and log out (or simply refuse to chat with anyone), you've rendered the game unwinnable.

For half an hour.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The best part is the people playing the game can't actually quit that match. If they log off or quit out of the client and try to get back in, they will be in the same match until it ends. So it takes about 15 seconds of work to gently caress people for 30 mins.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
To cut down on the end-of-round accusation circuses in TTT a lot of servers have a mod that lets players report their aggressors, who in turn get a chance to give their side of the story so an admin can make an informed decision. In practice everyone is too mad to do this, so at the end of a round spent griefing you invariably are flooded with an inbox of confusion and rage:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
TTT confuses me to no end. If everyone bitches about Random Deathmatching then how can the actual traitors do their job if nobody wants to accept dying? Same thing with all roleplayers never wanting their characters to die except in this game there is no customization or attachment.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Lunethex posted:

TTT confuses me to no end. If everyone bitches about Random Deathmatching then how can the actual traitors do their job if nobody wants to accept dying? Same thing with all roleplayers never wanting their characters to die except in this game there is no customization or attachment.

I assume it's somehow connected to that other Half-Life mod where guards try to find excuses to shoot prisoners and if the prisoners manage to somehow fight back, the guards call for them to be banned.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
The biggest flaw with TTT is that being innocent is pretty boring. You are basically waiting around to get ambushed. When you finally roll traitor you get to manipulate, stealthily kill, etc. The fun parts. This is why it's so easy to get great reactions from people in ttt. When you've been waiting for twenty minutes for your 'turn' and someone then immediately murders you with a banana, it is upsetting. Amusing for everyone else though!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Dramicus posted:

I assume it's somehow connected to that other Half-Life mod where guards try to find excuses to shoot prisoners and if the prisoners manage to somehow fight back, the guards call for them to be banned.

God, playing that Gmod map is just griefing yourself. It always ends up being some 12 year old kid giving orders over VOIP and shooting anyone that tries to do anything interesting.

Why are those servers populated? I have no idea.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

God, playing that Gmod map is just griefing yourself. It always ends up being some 12 year old kid giving orders over VOIP and shooting anyone that tries to do anything interesting.

Why are those servers populated? I have no idea.

S&M fantasies?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
People play it because it's free with Garry's Mod and because they are hoping for their own chance at being the king retard.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Spaced God posted:

S&M fantasies?

My time cruising and griefing Blockland taught me the reason is "to feel like the guy at the top of the scoreboards" and maybe be seen as a good enough player to win the server host's approval and thus become the fabled rank of Admin.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
https://soundcloud.com/stephanosrex/honk-honk-butt

I found this gem.

I don't know where it came from.

I'm dying over here.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Butt plans.

:colbert:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Cannon_Fodder posted:

https://soundcloud.com/stephanosrex/honk-honk-butt

I found this gem.

I don't know where it came from.

I'm dying over here.

It's from the Space Station 13 thread, which is a treasure trove of stories of goofy hijinks even if you don't play SS13. After a while (or if you ask questions) you get the hang of the lingo and can understand all the stories. Random one:

dogstile posted:

Ah well, I had a cool round after that. I was a changeling and I accidentally spat on the HOS while trying to examine him. I shook him awake and apologized for my breath being so pungent while promising that i'd brush my teeth later. He let me go without any warnings.

Changelings are an antagonist role (think like traitor in TTT except a morphing, carnivorous alien that wants to eat you and suck the fluids out of your dead body) that gets a really nasty acid spit. Head of Security, or HOS, is a job that you have to get added to a whitelist of 'non-poo poo players' to play, and anyone cool will let you go if you bullshit your way out of a situation. So if you accidentally changeling acid spit in the HOS's face, just start talking and making poo poo up and you can probably get away with it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The story in question can be found right in this very thread!

Another quick SS13 anecdote: Don't play Russian Roulette with The Devil

A little while back, I logged in as a Security officer named The Devil after not playing for some time, and I guess one of the admins recognized me because I immediately sprouted horns and started to glow ominously. I then abruptly caught fire and began to die. After a brief, confused exchange with one of the admins, it was determined that he was trying to make me burn eternally without, you know, burning to death, but the vagaries of SS13's code meant that there was no way to achieve this without making me completely invincible.

So he shrugged and gave up made me completely goddamn invincible, because there's no way an indestructible cop who is also The Devil could possibly create problems. He did politely ask me not to bother the Wizards that were terrorizing the station, though, since it would be unfair to ruin their antagonist round with an unstoppable flaming supercop. I had planned to be a useless piece of poo poo rent-a-cop all round anyway, so I cheerfully agreed.

I wandered into the Bar and began eating and drinking everything in sight. This made me stupendously drunk and caused an impressive amount of involuntary farting, vomiting, and twitching, but left me otherwise unscathed. Emboldened by my fortitude, a nearby Assistant devoured two slices of cake, farted and screamed continuously for about a minute, and promptly died in a puddle of his own vomit. This is unsurprising, since the Bartender is notorious for brewing up hellpotions and the Chef is even more notorious for deep-frying things in weaponized kuru and baking them into cakes frosted with angry ants, but it's usually safe to partake if you watch someone else do so without serious consequence. Unless that person is an invulnerable everburning fiend from the depths of Hell. I gave the Assistant's corpse a ticket for littering in the Bar.

During this, the Chaplain began beating me with his Bible and screaming. I smashed a plate over his head and stole the Bible. Then someone murdered him. I gave the Chaplain's corpse a ticket for littering in the Bar.

The Bartender then placed his Russian Revolver on the bar. It's basically what it sounds like - you can't shoot people with it, but you can use it to play Russian Roulette. A couple of guys played with it until one of them blew his own head off. I gave his corpse a ticket for littering in the Bar. Then I picked up the revolver and tested the limits of my invincibility.

After a full minute of watching me repeatedly and continuously blow my own brains out several times per second with no apparent ill effects, one of the other patrons became convinced that it was a clever trick and told me to give him the revolver. I quite honestly told him that he was going to kill himself, but I handed it to him anyway, because I do not understand the concept of responsibility. He laughed, said, "yeah, right," and immediately put a bullet through his skull.

I gave his corpse a ticket for littering in the Bar.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 5, 2014

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Space Station 13 continues to be the best game I will never play. Thanks for the stories!

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Klungar posted:

Space Station 13 continues to be the best game I will never play. Thanks for the stories!

If it's any consolation, these stories come with about a million rounds where nothing interesting or funny (no matter how hilarious some admins think they are) happens.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

SpazmasterX posted:

If it's any consolation, these stories come with about a million rounds where nothing interesting or funny (no matter how hilarious some admins think they are) happens.

Much like EvE Online stories.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

SpazmasterX posted:

I don't know, every round i'm a traitor I try to do some new gimmick. Recently i've been setting plagues of guardbuddies on the station, letting them taze and handcuff everyone in sight. Filling rooms with plasma, etc. Why, only a few days ago I was tied to a chair, left some wirecutters in a room with bomb. The guy who caught me told me I could try and escape if I liked, letting me try my absolute hardest to save my life.

SS13 is what you make it.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I had a round happen in SS13 where someone called me to the mail chute near botany because he was going to load several hundred potatoes into it and fire them out the other end to test their physical force. I pulled the lever on the other end and...the server slowed to a halt. Choice quotes from chat:

quote:

Colten Miller [145.9] says, "turn it on and shoot"
Dave Lister [145.9] says, "Flipped it on"
Dave Lister says, "Flipped it on"
The OOC channel has been globally enabled!
OOC: SailorDave: noooo
OOC: Das Pirate: Lag?
OOC: SailorDave: stoooop
OOC: Stealthy Cupcakes: oh my god
OOC: Nepereta: horrifying lag?
OOC: RAWK_LAWBSTAR: all the lag
OOC: Zeether: Space lag
OOC: MaximusRex: Ok, the patatoe shotgun is NEVER happening again.
OOC: Stealthy Cupcakes: What the gently caress happening
OOC: PyromaticTabby: I blame the spud cannon

OOC: MaximusRex: Me and my fellow botanist.....we loaded like 500 potatoes into the mailchute and mailed them to info.

OOC: SailorDave: I BELIEVE IN TATER RIGHTS

OOC: PyromaticTabby: The only time I've lagged the server this bad is with 5 11x11s, and you've done it with potatos *clap*

OOC: MaximusRex: A chainsaw also ended up in there somehow. And some weed seeds.
OOC: Stealthy Cupcakes: The chute has potato diarrhea.
OOC: MaximusRex: Colten, whoever the chainsaw hits wins.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Zeether posted:

I had a round happen in SS13 where someone called me to the mail chute near botany because he was going to load several hundred potatoes into it and fire them out the other end to test their physical force. I pulled the lever on the other end and...the server slowed to a halt. Choice quotes from chat:

Reminds me of that EVE Online story where someone loaded up freighters with wads of paper, went to a crowded hub and told everyone to gather round for free loot. I'm pretty sure they managed to crash the server, or come very close, but I can't find the story right now.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Reminds me of that EVE Online story where someone loaded up freighters with wads of paper, went to a crowded hub and told everyone to gather round for free loot. I'm pretty sure they managed to crash the server, or come very close, but I can't find the story right now.

How does that work, exactly?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Pope Guilty posted:

How does that work, exactly?

Object overload I'm sure. The "wads of paper" is probably literal. "Paper" is in fact an in game item, and its weight and value is so low that it may as well not have either. So it would be both extremely cheap to purchase and extremely easy to fill millions of them inside a freighter.

So now you have hundreds of pubbies (in addition to the usual high population of a market hub) lured by the promise of loot, and then an increasingly large of cloud of canisters floating around with a single scrap of paper in each. Eventually the combined amount of players and objects grows too great and the server collapses.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

Object overload I'm sure. The "wads of paper" is probably literal. "Paper" is in fact an in game item, and its weight and value is so low that it may as well not have either. So it would be both extremely cheap to purchase and extremely easy to fill millions of them inside a freighter.

So now you have hundreds of pubbies (in addition to the usual high population of a market hub) lured by the promise of loot, and then an increasingly large of cloud of canisters floating around with a single scrap of paper in each. Eventually the combined amount of players and objects grows too great and the server collapses.

If the last big war didn't crash a server, I doubt paper will.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Chomp8645 posted:

Ahhh, I was not clear on the "millions of individual pieces of paper" bit. That's great.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Thumbtacks posted:

If the last big war didn't crash a server, I doubt paper will.

Well the last war was after years and years of server improvement and, more importantly, the addition of Tidi. Tidi is really the big thing keeping EVE servers online during stress. If this stunt was pulled before Tidi was implemented I could easily the node crashing.

Edit: I'll explain Tidi since the fact that it's necessary is so funny it's basically a grief against gaming.

Tidi is short for "Time Dilation". You see, the fact of the matter is that EVE nodes cannot stay online with hundreds or thousands of players battling it out. Or rather, they cannot stay online with a normal flow of time. When an EVE node gets overloaded then the region goes into Tidi, which means that everything there is actually moving slower than the pace of normal time. If Tidi is at 50% then everything is slowed to half speed. One second in the world is only half a second in the game. The lowest possible Tidi before a crash is 10% (or is it five!?). This means that yes, those battles you read about on Destructoid or Kotaku or wherever when some huge thing goes down involve a bunch of spaceships nerds staring at their screen for 10 hours to watch a one hour battle play out at an agonizing pace.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 6, 2014

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I remember that story. They were ordered to change their name because an IRA or something had taken a similar acronym or whatever, and they objected and decided to go out with a bang. "The server crapped itself, fell over, burst into flames and died" is how I remember it. CCP changed how crates and items were organized after that.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pubbies in Eve Online are so broken that groups of them will purchase huge freighters (which cost the equivalent of $20 in real life dollars, if you purchase PLEX in bundles) and fly them into Jita during Burn Jita. We fly cheap, high damage ships and suicide into these freighters. They claim victory because the freighters are empty when we destroy them, whereas most of our victims contain tons of high-value loot (which we promptly destroy before anyone can loot the wreckage)

They get so mad at us that they'll hire mercenaries to kill our cheap sacrificial ships during Burn Jita. This doesn't stop us from destroying any freighters, but the mercs are happy to oblige. Most of the time they wait until right after we've blown up a freighter, when the NPC police are about to come and kill us anyway.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Pubbies in Eve Online are so broken that groups of them will purchase huge freighters (which cost the equivalent of $20 in real life dollars, if you purchase PLEX in bundles) and fly them into Jita during Burn Jita. We fly cheap, high damage ships and suicide into these freighters. They claim victory because the freighters are empty when we destroy them, whereas most of our victims contain tons of high-value loot (which we promptly destroy before anyone can loot the wreckage)

They get so mad at us that they'll hire mercenaries to kill our cheap sacrificial ships during Burn Jita. This doesn't stop us from destroying any freighters, but the mercs are happy to oblige. Most of the time they wait until right after we've blown up a freighter, when the NPC police are about to come and kill us anyway.

It could only get better if the mercenaries were also secret goon alts, charging way more than the target ship's replacement cost and paying for his buddy to get blown up.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Slime posted:

It could only get better if the mercenaries were also secret goon alts, charging way more than the target ship's replacement cost and paying for his buddy to get blown up.

This actually was the case I believe, a few people who weren't a part of goonfleet but were still very much goons took some money to take out other goons. One of the guys I used to go to college with did it and charged an absurd amount to "escort" the pubbies.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Honestly, given the ethos of goonfleet, I'd think they'd be all for griefing the pubbies from both ends.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

new business proposal: during burn jita, get a gang together and claim that for a sum of money, you will escort a group of pubbies through the system. Arrange to meet just outside the system in question.

Then, when they are all ready to go, kill them all and take their stuff.

I don't play eve, so doable/not doable/worth getting into eve for?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I've never played EVE, but my limited understanding is two things:

1. No matter how hare-brained the scam, there will be schmucks who fall for it.

2. Nothing is worth getting into EVE for.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Heffer posted:

Honestly, given the ethos of goonfleet, I'd think they'd be all for griefing the pubbies from both ends.

One of my favorite EvE stories was when the Goons started a resource war to drive up prices and then made money hand over fist by selling said resources to their enemies.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Dramicus posted:

One of my favorite EvE stories was when the Goons started a resource war to drive up prices and then made money hand over fist by selling said resources to their enemies.

Isn't that what the whole "Hulkageddon" event was/is? I've never played EVE, but it's my understanding that at some point goons put a large bounty on some sort of large, expensive freighters that pubbies love. Lots of freighters get blown up, some people get rich shooting things, and lots of pubbies cry. On top of getting their ships destroyed, goons have a monopoly over the supply of a mineral that is required to produce the freighters and they actually make a profit while paying out bounties because people have to pay goons to replace their ships.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Wild T posted:

I've never played EVE, but my limited understanding is two things:

1. No matter how hare-brained the scam, there will be schmucks who fall for it.

2. Nothing is worth getting into EVE for.

The only goon I know to talk to who was into it for a while spent a lot of the time tabbed out playing unreal tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Sammus posted:

Isn't that what the whole "Hulkageddon" event was/is? I've never played EVE, but it's my understanding that at some point goons put a large bounty on some sort of large, expensive freighters that pubbies love. Lots of freighters get blown up, some people get rich shooting things, and lots of pubbies cry. On top of getting their ships destroyed, goons have a monopoly over the supply of a mineral that is required to produce the freighters and they actually make a profit while paying out bounties because people have to pay goons to replace their ships.

Yeah, that was it. The story is even better now that I remember all the info. Goons had a monopoly over the resources to build the freighters and I think they had a huge portion of the actual freighter production facilities and just made a financial killing for very little work on their part. The bounties they paid to the pubbie mercs were a pittence compared to how much money they made in the process of constructing and selling a new freighter.

• Locked thread