Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I am shocked that so many studios are so liberal with their director choices in big budget blockbusters. I guess I was more cynical with the industry.

Well his previous movie did gross plus 150 million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Marvel hires directors that they can easily control. :tinfoil:

That's less :tinfoil: and more exactly what they do. See Antman. They found a formula that easily sells their product to a wide audience to vast critical acclaim and if you want to be a part of it, you got to play by their rules.

Marvel movies are now basically what James Bond used to be.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It's also easier and cheaper to hire a hungry young director/tv guy and plug them into the machine than it is to chase established talent who may not mesh with your production style or want to do franchise work.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Judging from the previews, this movie looked like the stupidest bottomfeeding comicbook crap ever. Well, it did have some weird tone issues. It starts at an emotional low, and there's an awful lot of jabbering about killing and dying and suiciding in the middle. The baddies and the world are introduced too hastily. Drax was a pretty useless character. The voice actor for Rocket didn't work for me.

Those points aside, it was pretty awesome. I wish every million this movie makes would jam another cock in George Lucas's stupid, fat, lazy, hairy rear end. That's how you write a Star Wars movie, you dipshit.

Chris Pratt stole every scene and if this movie makes him a star and Harrison Ford of our generation, then he deserves it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

pigdog posted:

Chris Pratt stole every scene and if this movie makes him a star and Harrison Ford of our generation, then he deserves it.

Agree totally with this even if you dissed Bradley Cooper as Rocket. :colbert:

I was kind of sad that they didn't use the 'obscene gesture imminent' thing in the line-up scene. Just the idea of having predictive software for THAT is hilarious on its own level.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

I can guarantee this. I would not be surprised if his dad has volume 3.

Tony Stark gives him an iPod in a cameo.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

I am shocked that so many studios are so liberal with their director choices in big budget blockbusters. I guess I was more cynical with the industry.
So many studios? Any examples other than Marvel?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Josh Lyman posted:

Godzilla 2014 is from Warner.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Josh Lyman posted:

People listed Jurassic World and Godzilla.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Marc Webb did Spider Man straight after 500 Days of Summer. Rian Johnson is doing Star Wars VIII. Joe Cornish has been associated with various big-ish franchises and will probably do one once he's offered something he wants. Josh Trank is doing Fantastic 4 and a Star Wars spin off. None of those are Marvel.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 6, 2014

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I think it's partly because the old big name directors are not as prolific as Marvel/Disney/WB/whoever needs and are by and large picking their own projects. I mean you look at Michael Bay and he's doing big movie small movie big movie small movie and he's worth a fortune, Cameron's doing a movie every like 17 years or something, what was the last Spielberg thing anyway, Ridley Scott's doing Prometheus->Exodus->Prometheus 2 or whatever.

At this point, with the Russos, Rian Johnson, Gunn, etc., I less think of it as "studio needs directors under their thumbs" as more of "holy poo poo we need to develop the talent pool for directors".

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

e X posted:

Eh, I don't think it matters, there is no way we would ever gotten enough movies to get his character close to like he is in the comics.

I'm just saying, I'm really becoming a fan of the character in the comics more so than I enjoyed him as a villain in the movie. And I really liked Pace's performance as Ronan in the movie too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

api call girl posted:

what was the last Spielberg thing anyway,

Lincoln 2 years ago. In 2 years he is doing BFG

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

bobkatt013 posted:

Though 3 years ago he did 2 films (War Horse and TinTin).

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

I don't know what this actually stands for in this case, but I'm going to imagine Spielberg is making a movie based on the best gun from Doom.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

I don't know what this actually stands for in this case, but I'm going to imagine Spielberg is making a movie based on the best gun from Doom.

It's Roald Dahl.

And about drat time we had more Dahl adaptations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bobkatt013 posted:

I read this as "Lincoln 2," and was wondering how they'd retcon the assassination.

TheJoker138 posted:

I saw it as Battle Fleet Gothic.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
It's a Roald Dahl story about giants who travel to earth at night to eat children.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Friendly_Giant

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Iron Crowned posted:

I read this as "Lincoln 2," and was wondering how they'd retcon the assassination.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

computer parts posted:

Though 3 years ago he did 2 films (War Horse and TinTin).

Also 39 years ago he did Jaws and 21 years he ago he did Jurassic Park.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The idea that Steven Spielberg, James Cameron, or Ridley Scott would show up in a discussion about guns-for-hire in a serialized movie series is completely bananas. James Cameron was once in talks to do a Spider-Man movie... which he wrote himself, drew the storyboards for, and would have had near-complete control over. WB/DC felt they had to let Christopher Nolan conclude a popular franchise his way, and he's not exactly on the level of these guys.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

e X posted:

It's a Roald Dahl story about giants who travel to earth at night to eat children.

Holy crap THIS story? Oh man I am excited and terrified.

Also I'm seriously thinking of doing a double header on Friday and seeing TMNT and seeing GOTG for a second time.

Also, what story line in the comics does Drax go from being a Hulk look-alike to his current incarnation?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

The idea that Steven Spielberg, James Cameron, or Ridley Scott would show up in a discussion about guns-for-hire in a serialized movie series is completely bananas. James Cameron was once in talks to do a Spider-Man movie... which he wrote himself, drew the storyboards for, and would have had near-complete control over. WB/DC felt they had to let Christopher Nolan conclude a popular franchise his way, and he's not exactly on the level of these guys.

Cameron's Spider-Man movie would have featured Mary Jane loving Spider-Man (in full costume and without knowing his true identity) on a big web, by the way.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Holy crap THIS story? Oh man I am excited and terrified.

Also I'm seriously thinking of doing a double header on Friday and seeing TMNT and seeing GOTG for a second time.

Also, what story line in the comics does Drax go from being a Hulk look-alike to his current incarnation?

Drax the Destroyer miniseries.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I put off purchasing and reading Infinity Gauntlet for years because everytime I leafed through it at a store I saw characters I didn't know and lots of crammed pages and figured it would be tough to follow. I finally read it after Guardians and man, I was wrong. It was a great story and I couldn't put it down til the end. It's batshit crazy in a very good way and I really enjoyed Thanos' arc. I can't see how they pull some of that off on the big screen but at this point I guess I'd be stupid to doubt them.

My thoughts are that they're going to do the 'Infinity Gauntlet' (shame they never got the Fantastic Four or Silver Surfer back from Fox) story for Avengers 3. This is after we get Dr. Strange and GotG 2 and who knows what else Marvel has cooking.

After all, we've seen a good amount of the Infinity Stones now. Space (Captain America), Power (GotG), Reality (Thor: The Dark World) and Mind (The Avengers). All that are missing are Soul and Time, which can be peppered within any number of movies from now to 2017-2018. But the fact is that the set-up for the story line is really almost done, so who knows what they are cooking.

It really makes me want every property back under Marvel Studios. This is because the only really competent, recent other Marvel superhero movies have been Days of Future Past and X-Men First Class. And Marvel has been doing its cross-over stuff really well.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Drax the Destroyer miniseries.

Thank you (loving this marvel unlimited thing).

Electromax
May 6, 2007

pigdog posted:

Those points aside, it was pretty awesome. I wish every million this movie makes would jam another cock in George Lucas's stupid, fat, lazy, hairy rear end. That's how you write a Star Wars movie, you dipshit.

This stuff always makes me roll my eyes, internet nerds can't help but pause whenever Star Wars comes up to rant aside about George Lucas, usually with some allusion to either being raped by him via their childhood, or by wishing HE would be raped by something. Isn't it enough that he made a few of the most beloved movies ever, came back 15 years later, made more, had them critically bomb, became hated by much of his fanbase, was disgraced and saw his creation wrested out of his creative control for those who "know better" to make them? He has basically been thrown from grace and exiled by sci fi nerds, why does he need sticks up his butt on top of that?

Guardians was good. The old Star Wars are also good. I don't get the urge to go find someone and rub in their face that you liked this other thing better than their thing. Lucas isn't making Star Wars 7 so you got your wish already! Nerds don't need to froth with rage about Lucas any longer! You're safe from him!

Anyway, the only things that really fell flat for me with GotG was that Ronan, despite looking very cool, sounded and generally was boring and lame. Agree with others that he and the guy from Thor 2 are both non-entities. More memorable villains would've been nice, hopefully Thanos comes off better than that. The other thing was "I am Groot" which had its moments and is from the comics, but got old after the first couple times (just as Quill worried about). Don't see how that has the legs for another 2-3 movies with no lines, which is too bad since I really liked the other aspects to Groot's character. It is functionally the same as Chewie's growls I guess, but I thought they might've returned to that well a couple too many times.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

As fun as Guardians of the Galaxy is, it's no Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, or Return of the Jedi. It doesn't have to be to be good, but it probably should be before you write insane nonsense like "That's how you write a Star Wars movie, you dipshit" about the guy who wrote those.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

As fun as Guardians of the Galaxy is, it's no Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, or Return of the Jedi. It doesn't have to be to be good, but it probably should be before you write insane nonsense like "That's how you write a Star Wars movie, you dipshit" about the guy who wrote those.

Yeah, it's not those movies. It's better. That's right, I said it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Drunkboxer posted:

Also 39 years ago he did Jaws and 21 years he ago he did Jurassic Park.

I'm just saying, 3 films in two years is prolific by anyone but the film version of Brandon Sanderson (though compared to his late 90s early 2000s work it's very few and far between).

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

I think the point people are making is that Lucas, largely, did not write those. Star Wars, apparently, was a huge mess until Lucas' wife sat down and re-edited it, and Lucas had very little say in directing Empire, right?

When Lucas DID get a chance to make 'his' movies the way he wanted them made, we got the prequel stuff.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsElqAo7qgQ

Nice little tour

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

OP can confirm or deny it, but I think his comment was referring to, you know, the prequels. I know we have a lot of Lucas defenders/prequel fans on this forum but I don't think it's insane or nonsense to think Guardians captured the atmosphere of a fun space opera movie better than the three most recent Star Wars films did.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

WarLocke posted:

I think the point people are making is that Lucas, largely, did not write those. Star Wars, apparently, was a huge mess until Lucas' wife sat down and re-edited it, and Lucas had very little say in directing Empire, right?

When Lucas DID get a chance to make 'his' movies the way he wanted them made, we got the prequel stuff.

Most of the stuff about Lucas not deserving credit for the OT only came about once people hated the PT so I don't really give it much credence. All films are a collaborative exercise and it's not a coincidence that the extent of his contribution got aggressively minimized by the fan community around the time the new movies came out.

No Mods No Masters posted:

OP can confirm or deny it, but I think his comment was referring to, you know, the prequels. I know we have a lot of Lucas defenders/prequel fans on this forum but I don't think it's insane or nonsense to think Guardians captured the atmosphere of a fun space opera movie better than the three most recent Star Wars films did.

Yes, and I'm saying ignoring that Lucas also made the OT is stupid when you're making a "here's how to make Star Wars movies" comment. And I'm not part of the PT-defending crowd, they're largely garbage.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

No Mods No Masters posted:

The only "fun space romp" film in the Star Wars series is A New Hope.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

computer parts posted:

The only "fun space romp" film in the Star Wars series is A New Hope.

And that movie has an entire planet destroyed, presumably killing billions.

Let's not do the "Lucas did this, didn't do that" argument. There are threads for that. All Star Wars fans should just be happy GotG exists (I know I am), and not attack Lucas at the same time.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

GotG : Star Wars :: Galaxy Quest : Star Trek

(I think that's how you put that to text?)

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

e X posted:

Ah, finally, the Attack on Titan movie we deserve

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

morestuff posted:

It's also easier and cheaper to hire a hungry young director/tv guy and plug them into the machine than it is to chase established talent who may not mesh with your production style or want to do franchise work.

Or may want too much money or creative control which they can argue for given their filmography and name recognition.

The plus for the young directors is they get to put "made a movie that broke a monthly box office record" on their resume and get a leg-up in their career. Everyone wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I fully went into this expecting Rocket Raccoon to be a joke but somehow he was one of the most well-rounded characters in the cast.

How do you get away with that?!

• Locked thread