Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
I dunno, I was one of many last week to get a threat of real-life physical violence, I think we're still trucking along OK in the insane pubbie hate department. It's just a more leisurely paced experience than it used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Melchior posted:

Doing this means I have to do a rep and equipment grind on a fifth character as all my others are fed and ker'rat is just full of fed farmers :v:

Just get your best DPS fed and hop into the queues then. Also roll a klank ganker, killing Fed farmers is fun as poo poo.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lagomorphic posted:

Just get your best DPS fed and hop into the queues then. Also roll a klank ganker, killing Fed farmers is fun as poo poo.

I kill plenty of people in Ker'rat without being PvP optimized. Just play smart and save up your damage buffs for an alpha strike, be ready to scram when things go south.

If there was a way to queue for ker'rat without having to actually fly out there, I'd do it all the time.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

AcidCouch posted:

Where the hell are the Goon Rushes, mass pvp zone fuckery, and general mass goon dickbagery? I know I have been gone for a bit, but people are forgetting us, and the new blood knows nothing of us. Is this the legacy we wish to leave? To all those new and old, its time to herd the cats once more towards the light of the dieing pubbie rage and reignite that flame.

Dictated but not written by
AcidCouch Grand High Wizard of NoP

I'll still most likely kick you in the morning.

Preaching to the choir. Our last "goon rush" netted a grand total of four Denalts. Pretty sad.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

AcidCouch posted:

Where the hell are the Goon Rushes, mass pvp zone fuckery, and general mass goon dickbagery? I know I have been gone for a bit, but people are forgetting us, and the new blood knows nothing of us. Is this the legacy we wish to leave? To all those new and old, its time to herd the cats once more towards the light of the dieing pubbie rage and reignite that flame.

We all got spoiled by the disco balls (they were like easy-mode for trolling). Now that the people most bothered by them can turn them off, we need to figure out other ways to drive them crazy.

Also, there's no good in-game reasons to play right now. Summer's over, season 9.5 was a bust, there's a glut of unrefined dil thanks to the recent dil weekend, and any equipment you get now will be obsolete in a few months. I've started doffing in sectors that I don't normally visit just to give myself something to do that takes more than a few minutes a day.

Nymix
Mar 3, 2013

What kind of stuff are people speculating will be obsoleted? Surely not everything?

If I have to grind fleet gear again, I'm probably gonna die a little inside. I can deal with rep stuff being made redundant, but the thought of grinding out 3+ sets of vulnerability locators, as well as another shield and warp core is horrendous. :smith:

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Nymix posted:

What kind of stuff are people speculating will be obsoleted? Surely not everything?

If I have to grind fleet gear again, I'm probably gonna die a little inside. I can deal with rep stuff being made redundant, but the thought of grinding out 3+ sets of vulnerability locators, as well as another shield and warp core is horrendous. :smith:

Anything with a Mark [XI/XII] in the name.

So ya, happy grinding! Also those fleet ships? Ya those too. Though, it remains to be seen how much it will be worth it and the good fleet and purple XII stuff will most likely still be viable.

Burning_Monk fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 6, 2014

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Burning_Monk posted:

Anything with a Mark [XI/XII] in the name.

So ya, happy grinding! Also those fleet ships? Ya those too. Though, it remains to be seen how much it will be worth it and the good fleet and purple XII stuff will most likely still be viable.

I just got my tacrom a Scimitar today, and I feel like it's going to be obsolete very soon :froggonk:

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013

Danaru posted:

I just got my tacrom a Scimitar today, and I feel like it's going to be obsolete very soon :froggonk:

Given that there is no fleet version of that, the bortas, or the oddy, it's safe to assume Cryptic will be lazy and give us fleet versions of them as T6 ships.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
It really depends on the stats and Boff layout on this guy:

Whether it is genuinely better than the Scimitar depends on a few things, most of which are total unknowns. What are the new toys the T6 ships will have? If it's as disappointing as the Thalaron Pulse, then never mind. Will it have a hanger? They're not exactly mandatory but awfully nice to have. What's going on with this new class of Boff? How will that affect things?

It's a loving pretty ship though.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
I'm hoping for a Tier 6 Atrox... you know for laughs.

And considering people still putter around in the D'kyr I'm thinking tier 6 won't matter too much.

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013

Burning_Monk posted:

I'm hoping for a Tier 6 Atrox... you know for laughs.

Watch everything at T6 grow a third nacelle. The Gal-x gains a fourth.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Goat Pillager posted:

Given that there is no fleet version of that, the bortas, or the oddy, it's safe to assume Cryptic will be lazy and give us fleet versions of them as T6 ships.
They're Fleet-level ships by definition. The Odyssey was the first 10-console ship, and the fleet thing was invented to sell modules and force people to buy ships by character rather than account bring other ships up to that level. :ssh:

But yeah there'll be a whole new tier in October and presumably they'll be getting a upgrade variant of some kind like all the other current ships.

g0del posted:

We all got spoiled by the disco balls (they were like easy-mode for trolling). Now that the people most bothered by them can turn them off, we need to figure out other ways to drive them crazy.
It's kind of a bad time to mess around too. The population's dropped a bit after the summer event, especially since 9.5 had a tepid response and the expansion's still months out. PVP's been kind of on a downswing too, especially after assorted nerfs to dilithium rewards and drop values have driven away some of the dumber easily-enraged carebear sorts.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Is it Cryptic's amazing PR department in charge of the whole "not hyping their own expansion" that hasn't even got a simple one-page blurb on the loader?

I mean, are they holding off telling the whales their stuff is poo poo to milk all the crafting dil they can before they tell them they just blew $500 on nothing?

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Danaru posted:

The scimitar is so over powered that you shouldn't have to worry. They've already said that there will be ways to make the current ships competitive. And even new level 60 ultra-elite STFs will need to be tuned for the average player, so if you actually know how to build a ship you should be fine. I wouldn't spend any fleet credits on equipment right now, though. It might even be a good idea to hold off on getting rep equipment, assuming that they'll introduce mark XIV versions of all that.

I am kind of curious to see how ridiculous the DPS numbers will get once we can upgrade everything. There's already multiple ship builds that can push 20k+ DPS already, what will they be like with all upgraded equipment? And are they planning to update all the current STFs, or can we look forward to 1 minute ISE runs becoming the new normal?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Dely Apple posted:

Is it Cryptic's amazing PR department in charge of the whole "not hyping their own expansion" that hasn't even got a simple one-page blurb on the loader?

I mean, are they holding off telling the whales their stuff is poo poo to milk all the crafting dil they can before they tell them they just blew $500 on nothing?
Perfect World apparently handles what articles appear on the website and by all accounts (and gently caress, just looking at how they handle billing) they're absolutely incompetent about it. Some of the folks at Cryptic did some public grousing when 9.5 was rushed they they couldn't even put up the advertising articles about the lockbox to build interest a week beforehand like they usually plan to because PWE didn't pull the right levers.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
It's just utterly bizarre to me that they publicly announced a new expansion and haven't even put up an announcement article online. This is a strategy I'd use if I was trying to bury the announcement. Feels like a big difference from the way Legacy of Romulus got announced and promo'd.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=18461671&postcount=1

They want feedback on the current Space Metagame.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
I wouldn't be at all surprised if doff reliant builds like aux2batt get the axe when the expansion drops. Hopefully they'll add/redesign abilities to make up for that.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

They're asking for player feedback in the place most filled with whining morons. Doesn't bode well.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Dootman posted:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if doff reliant builds like aux2batt get the axe when the expansion drops. Hopefully they'll add/redesign abilities to make up for that.
Cryptic's made repeated mentions lately that A2B is getting killed "in the near future" (and I think at least one confirmation that it'll happen by the expansion at the latest) so it's not really a surprise. Now's a good time to grab a few of the doffs required for the more advanced builds.

There's a few things at work here. A big one is that Geko's admitted that they don't like having doffs with guaranteed effects and prefer them to be "chance on <thing>" effects instead. Which is hilariously loving stupid because chance-based builds means you have to balance around it happening every opportunity and it removes a lot of player skill from the equation due to the randomness, but it's their game so whatever. There's also the fact A2B's an old build that's really only suitable for certain ship types and has been mostly superseded these days by builds that don't tank Aux power, but the pubs have finally caught on and are whining. Then, well, there's the thing Cryptic doesn't want to admit where A2B is the only endgame build that you can get by regular doffing rather than buying overpriced gambling DOFF packs or paying people who bought them, so of course they want to kill it. :tinfoil:

DAVE!!!(c)(tm) posted:

They're asking for player feedback in the place most filled with whining morons. Doesn't bode well.
Pretty much.

Dingdong914
Jul 31, 2014

SKY COQ posted:

It's just utterly bizarre to me that they publicly announced a new expansion and haven't even put up an announcement article online. This is a strategy I'd use if I was trying to bury the announcement. Feels like a big difference from the way Legacy of Romulus got announced and promo'd.

I really want to troll the devs and act like I have no idea what they are talking about since the last official announcement was "we're gonna make an announcement!!!!" If there's no dev blog, it didn't happen.

And in the meantime, I love watching the forum continue to piss themselves/freak out due to lack of information, conjecture and the always annoying "my opinion is valid because feelings about fictional spaceships and you can't tell me how to feel!" :sparkles:

I guess I don't have much going on if this is passing for entertainment.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

AcidCouch posted:

Fun fact: I built my new computer today. My old one's PCI-E slot on the motherboard magically died. I should be back in the game tomorrow, so I'm down for some stupid poo poo.

:shepicide:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Asimo posted:

Perfect World apparently handles what articles appear on the website and by all accounts (and gently caress, just looking at how they handle billing) they're absolutely incompetent about it. Some of the folks at Cryptic did some public grousing when 9.5 was rushed they they couldn't even put up the advertising articles about the lockbox to build interest a week beforehand like they usually plan to because PWE didn't pull the right levers.

Didn't it get to the point where some Cryptic dev basically was like, "this is all some PWE dipshit community manager's job and as you can see...he is awful at it" on the forums?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

Didn't it get to the point where some Cryptic dev basically was like, "this is all some PWE dipshit community manager's job and as you can see...he is awful at it" on the forums?
Literally, yeah. If not in those exact words. :v: It's clear Cryptic was pissed off by it though, and for good reason; it cost them a lot of hype and probably some sales.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

A couple of Cryptic devs (mostly art people, it looks like) have been trying to do amateur PR to calm people and reassure them, but since they're clearly banned from giving actual info, it's going over about as well as you'd expect.

And then the PWE community people are just gone. Like they went on vacation or something.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

SpikeMcclane posted:

Giving this a try again after I tried to play way back at launch.
SpikeMcclane@SpikeMcclane in game.
Registered on the wiki as SpikeMcclane too. Keeping it simple.

All sorted.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Re: lack of talk about upcoming stuff.

I'm going to propose that it's quite plausible that with an upcoming panel and "season 9.5" being about as lackluster as possible that those on the hook to provide a panel needed something, anything to talk about thus getting the okay to drop some vague hints about the next expansion. There aren't more details because those likely don't exist yet and don't be shocked come October that half the poo poo vaguely hinted at never materializes, this game has a long history of unfulfilled promises and horribly inaccurate dev. timelines. Still waiting patiently for that sci ship revamp. (Lol did we say sci ship revamp, no no no, were putting out new revamped sci ships with 2 deflectors, all those old lovely ships? Nah, no 2 deflectors for those, maybe next season!)

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Cyberball 2072 posted:

(Lol did we say sci ship revamp, no no no, were putting out new revamped sci ships with 2 deflectors, all those old lovely ships? Nah, no 2 deflectors for those, maybe next season!)
This baffles me, I admit. It took like six months to add the flanking thing to birds of prey after the winter event, and the secondary deflectors still haven't been added to science vessels. I can understand waiting a month or two to see if the balance is fine and I imagine itemizing secondary deflectors would be annoying (drops? Rep versions? Add them to the crafting revamp as a draw?) but going this long is just sort of baffling, especially since science ships are still on the weak end.

The Sensor Analysis change was drat nice though. Maybe they can solve it forever by making the Target Subsystem powers passive buffs a la cruiser commands. :v:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Re: lack of talk about upcoming stuff.

I'm going to propose that it's quite plausible that with an upcoming panel and "season 9.5" being about as lackluster as possible that those on the hook to provide a panel needed something, anything to talk about thus getting the okay to drop some vague hints about the next expansion. There aren't more details because those likely don't exist yet and don't be shocked come October that half the poo poo vaguely hinted at never materializes, this game has a long history of unfulfilled promises and horribly inaccurate dev. timelines. Still waiting patiently for that sci ship revamp. (Lol did we say sci ship revamp, no no no, were putting out new revamped sci ships with 2 deflectors, all those old lovely ships? Nah, no 2 deflectors for those, maybe next season!)

At the panel, they provided the name of the expansion, the setting, the races we'll be encountering and what looks to be about a dozen pieces of ship art. That's enough for an announcement post at the very least - I wouldn't start going into detail until about 6-8 weeks out from launch anyway.

The weird thing about their PR strategy for this is that they don't seem to have one, unless you count 'announcing it at a panel in Las Vegas and then not talking about it' as a strategy. I don't think it's a deliberate attempt to kill enthusiasm. More likely, their PR/community management team are either hopelessly inept or stuck behind dumb corporate restrictions about what they can say. It's just so odd.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

The Sensor Analysis change was drat nice though. Maybe they can solve it forever by making the Target Subsystem powers passive buffs a la cruiser commands.

They're halfway there, given the things appear on the weapons bar. No need to keep them on your main bar.

Sarcastical
Sep 6, 2011
Can i get access to the wiki and a channel invite?

Wiki:gen_raven
Game:Raven@pergrin

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Asimo posted:

This baffles me, I admit. It took like six months to add the flanking thing to birds of prey after the winter event, and the secondary deflectors still haven't been added to science vessels. I can understand waiting a month or two to see if the balance is fine and I imagine itemizing secondary deflectors would be annoying (drops? Rep versions? Add them to the crafting revamp as a draw?) but going this long is just sort of baffling, especially since science ships are still on the weak end.

The Sensor Analysis change was drat nice though. Maybe they can solve it forever by making the Target Subsystem powers passive buffs a la cruiser commands. :v:

And even more weird, the Dyson ships already have secondary deflectors.

Also love that idea about passive subsystem targeting. Cryptic Do This! (also don't make them rely solely on beam weapons.)

LordCo
Jun 25, 2005

DonDoodles posted:

Geographical mistakes and annoying capitalization aside (Abidjan is in Ivory Coast), this could amount to Dental's greatest PR challenge to date. The connection between Dental and Ebola has been made, only a matter of time before this tongue and cheek post is picked up as undisputed fact among STO pubbies.

What have you done, LordCo??

Link for context: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=18446991&postcount=29

Yes, it is all true. For some time now I have been stealthily attaching Ebola to all my West Africa bound email.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Burning_Monk posted:

And even more weird, the Dyson ships already have secondary deflectors.

Also love that idea about passive subsystem targeting. Cryptic Do This! (also don't make them rely solely on beam weapons.)

You could even tie it in with Sensor Analysis - you can hit subsystem targeting, but only on a target you've chucked analysis onto.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I was thinking that they could also make it so that the proc rate of your weapon's special effect varied with your Aux power, as a way to allow science ships with high Aux to get compensated more for that in combat.

You'd have to limit it to one special effect, though, or hybrid weapons would be dramatically better than normal ones.

I dunno lately, though, that would've worked better back in the old days when we all had to portion out power more carefully, but nowadays with cores and everything we have so much power it'd just end up taking the well-geared people overboard.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I was thinking that they could also make it so that the proc rate of your weapon's special effect varied with your Aux power, as a way to allow science ships with high Aux to get compensated more for that in combat.

You'd have to limit it to one special effect, though, or hybrid weapons would be dramatically better than normal ones.

Make it a random chance to proc one of the two effects on offer.

Theorycrafting and coming up with changes is fun.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What they really need to do is make tactical consoles matter less, but it's too late for that. :ssh:

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

MikeJF posted:

What they really need to do is make tactical consoles matter less, but it's too late for that. :ssh:

Would your average pubbie even notice the difference?

Of course not, that row is filled with universals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Would your average pubbie even notice the difference?

Of course not, that row is filled with universals

They can't fill it entirely with universals!

Borg console v Mine Damage console, I think the choice was clear.

• Locked thread