Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Westy543 posted:

Well tree and I just took credit for a 25-48 vs 25-48 which Recursion (among other outfits) was at. Only two people in my outfit online, us. We were using a Canister Harasser.

What I'm saying is IT'S TIME :getin:

This was loving beautiful. We gave a GINYU FORCE RULES and someone else yelled ATRA LIVES and then some Recursion guy yelled "I hate you Westy!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

Someone made the poor decision of giving me access to NC command chat. So I decided to educate them. Some weren't sure if I was serious.

I was extremely serious.

IRSmurf
Mar 27, 2010

Decided to log-in and check out the state of the game, after a six month break. After adjusting my .ini file, everything was extremely smooth. I was logged in for six or seven hours. About 260 kills, two captures, and twenty-something defends. Knocked out a lot of directives. Bought a few implant packs and crafted two tier 3 implants. (Hold breath and health regen) PS2 seems to be performing far, far better than it used to. Sniping feels infinitely less laggy than it used to. This is good. Can't wait to play more tomorrow.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

SAHChandler posted:

Someone made the poor decision of giving me access to NC command chat. So I decided to educate them. Some weren't sure if I was serious.

I was extremely serious.

Careful with that. Last guy to do that was in GOON. He spammed cat facts in /orders and got banned for a while.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

IRSmurf posted:

Decided to log-in and check out the state of the game, after a six month break. After adjusting my .ini file, everything was extremely smooth. I was logged in for six or seven hours. About 260 kills, two captures, and twenty-something defends. Knocked out a lot of directives. Bought a few implant packs and crafted two tier 3 implants. (Hold breath and health regen) PS2 seems to be performing far, far better than it used to. Sniping feels infinitely less laggy than it used to. This is good. Can't wait to play more tomorrow.

Welcome back! Sorry I killed you a couple of times. :ohdear:

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Tei posted:

What this game need is to put AMS on Galaxies, remove the lanes idea (that create a lot of stagnation in the game) and give a flametrower to max.

I played yesterday, and in 5 hours, I only defended one place, in-game days passed, and nobody conquered the enemy base in front of our base, nor they our base.

The lattice lanes were actually added post release. What you're asking for was already tried and didn't work. You really do not want it removed, ask anyone else who played back in 2012.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

KakerMix posted:

If you played in beta/early in PS2's life you'd have had all these things. Galaxies did have AMS for a while, but it turns out having a flying, deployable vehicle meant everyone just parked it on a cliff and dumped mans into fights and it was awful. The lattice system (aka lanes) was added because there was no direction to fights or the map in general, aka awful. And finally, MAXes did have flamethrowers but they weren't effective weapons and caused people to have all sorts of graphical slowdown and issues, and SOE was never able to fix it so they were removed.

Biolabs sure were something when you could just put up a spawnable base with tons of HP on the air pads.

Though, who knows it might not be terrible now with the deployable restrictions? Makes sundies a lot better.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Lattice solves the problem of fights actually existing rather than people ghost/backcapping constantly and having no ability to really coordinate where fights go.

Also you can squad spawn into a Galaxy piloted by a member of your squad! AMS-lite! :eng101:

wei
Jul 27, 2006
warning gun spergery

Nakar posted:

ASSAULT RIFLES
Gauss Rifle Burst: 0.14-0.14 @ 0.28
NC1 Gauss Rifle: 0.175-0.175 @ 0.4

T1B Cycler: 0.17-0.17 @ 0.4
T1 Cycler: 0.225-0.225 @ 0.5

Equinox VE2 Burst: 0.16-0.16 @ 0.4
Pulsar VS1: 0.2-0.2 @ 0.7

NS-11A: 0.2-0.2 @ 0.6

This really feels like an error on the developers' part. There's no conceivable reason for the Pulsar to have that horizontal tolerance. They even managed to get the numbers of the burst variants right, but it somehow jumps from 0.4 to 0.7 when it gets automatic fire.

This annoys me because the Darkstar has actually been fun to use but it's based off a not-good gun. Regardless of how you feel about 3.4x scopes, the Compensator, Grip and HVA are attachments that actually make sense on an AR. The TR and NC versions are definitely worth working towards, because the base guns are great and the special attachments give it a new, well-defined role.

I think the carbine and LMG directives are not really worth pursuing. The Betelgeuse is good at short ranges, but the extra bloom is significant at medium range and beyond. It's not terrible or anything so I'll probably aurax it and go back to the Orion. I'd be happier with the Eclipse if it had a Grip instead of the Laser Sight. If I wanted a hipfire carbine I'd use the 800+ RPM ones I have, and even then I run Grip on those. The underbarrel shotgun seemed like a fun gimmick but unfortunately it currently doesn't work on the Eclipse.

Still working on the SMG directives, so nothing to report yet.

Nakar: Could you please pull tolerance stats for the directive guns? I can't get the asset browser thing to not crash on me. Curious to see if Forward Grips affect Tolerance, since you can sort of infer what various attachments do by comparing guns and their directive variants.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

wei posted:

Nakar: Could you please pull tolerance stats for the directive guns? I can't get the asset browser thing to not crash on me. Curious to see if Forward Grips affect Tolerance, since you can sort of infer what various attachments do by comparing guns and their directive variants.
I can't find Directive gun fire modes in the API. I suspect they're just stock firemodes getting their different stats from the special attachments they have, and I don't know where in the API to find the attachment effects. I can find their descriptions, but not a section that outlines what they actually do.

A Tartan Tory posted:

I find the good old traditional 'good fight' tell works wonders after abusing said cheese weapons.
It's almost guaranteed after a pump kill or rocket primary on a BR of 50 or greater.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I'm trying my best not to spend money but I really want coyote missiles. Are they as cheesy as people on the forums claim?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

hemale in pain posted:

I'm trying my best not to spend money but I really want coyote missiles. Are they as cheesy as people on the forums claim?

Don't listen to the insufferable airspergs. Coyote missiles make for easy, close range dogfights and pare up great with the PPA. However, default noseguns and rotaries beat it in TTK if you can land shots very well.

I think it takes 2 or 3 clips to take down an ESF. If they're running away or farther than 'close range,' the slow projectiles would make it very difficult to hit.

TLDR; Coyotes are for nooblord skypeople like me. Airspergs can still beat you with the default noseguns though.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

hemale in pain posted:

They are fantastic for players unable to fully rely on personal skill in nosegun dogfighting (completely understandable) at a steep price. I found reload speed on coyotes was one of the few weapons upgrades worth investing since you can plink away with your nosegun as it reloads. Even a skygod will go away to repair if you hit them with multiple salvoes. Better yet, you don't have to fly so close that friendly ESFs crash into you.

I say they're worth the price if you can pick up a kill occasionally when you pull your skytaxi out. It shouldn't come as a surprise though that a solid weapon tailored for newbies (and anyone else who isn't completely insane) is rather expensive.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I'm not so great at hitting people swooping around me in close up dogfights, so yea I think I'll get them.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So I was making 64,000 SPH just killing off sunderers in an AP prowler last night, thanks Higby.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Did some number crunching- for those who drive Harassers, composite armor requires enemies to land about an extra magazine's worth of bullets (30ish bullets) on you to kill you. Inside max damage or against 200 damage guns, it's roughly 20 rounds.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
What about explosives? How much does composite armor help against that?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

hemale in pain posted:

No one ever sends me hate tells :(

If you notice a player constantly hanging around one area (LA on a certain roof, sniper on a hill, etc.) just keep killing them. Dedicate the entire fight to killing just them every time they go into their chosen camping spot. Hell you don't even have to do it multiple times, killed by a stalker infil hiding in a corner? Just come right back and rocket primary that corner, if he didn't move you'll get him. Guaranteed hate tell.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Status update: I'm still psyched about being able to wear dollar bill camo in a week or two.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

hemale in pain posted:

I'm not a big fan of them. You have to be really close to use them effectively and as far as ESF weapons go they don't feel like they deal out damage all that quickly. I think I still prefer regular A2A lock-ons to Coyotes since they let you hang back and deal heavy damage while others engage your target.

Recently I've taken to forgoing AA weapons entirely on my Scythe and instead just rolling with PPA+rocketpods because at close range it's pretty easy to hit ESFs with them and they do shittons of damage when they connect.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Bought Sunderer deploy shield level 1 for 50 certs.

Dropped a sundy which proceeded to print me 450 certs over the next 2 hours.

Money well spent I think :v:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fart Car '97 posted:

Bought Sunderer deploy shield level 1 for 50 certs.

Dropped a sundy which proceeded to print me 450 certs over the next 2 hours.

Money well spent I think :v:

I have a maxed out sundie shield. Last night a lightning was super surprised when he started shooting at me and I was able to get him to critical damage with him doing almost no damage.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Eonwe posted:

I have a maxed out sundie shield. Last night a lightning was super surprised when he started shooting at me and I was able to get him to critical damage with him doing almost no damage.

That sounds horribly broken.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Honestly if two people are attacking an undefended shield sundy, they can take it. It just stops the annoying 1 person taking down your main spawn point into an area. Any kind of sustained push on a sundie and it actually dies quicker because there isn't blockade armor on it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

The game is miraculously running great while looking fabulous, the directive things are neat (in as much as hey, Force Recon is actually pretty close to how I already play), and being able to Mag-Scatter folks is nostalgic and hilarious. Hooray!

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Hajj Podge posted:

That sounds horribly broken.

Its loving wonderful, no longer can 1 dude harass a sundy until he blows it up. 1 guy can still destroy it but hes gotta work for it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Does the sundie shield take damage from small arms and AI machine guns?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Haha, the smart choke makes my mag-scatter's reticle bigger. Good job, SOE!

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Cabbit posted:

Haha, the smart choke makes my mag-scatter's reticle bigger. Good job, SOE!

Well yeah, that's what it does. It makes ADS accuracy better, but hipfire worse.

Nookovian-Red
Sep 13, 2002
I WILL NOT CLOSE THREAD IN Serious Hardware / Software Crap

NihilCredo posted:

Does the sundie shield take damage from small arms and AI machine guns?
Great question. Its hard to test because you can't see damage the shield sustains but the shield does flash like its taking damage when it takes small arms fire. I haven't tried testing it to see if it'll drop the shield completely though. The only way you can tell the shield is down is if its not flashing anymore and damage starts to creep through but Sundies are invulnerable to small arms fire so you'd have to really pay attention to the shield flashes and then throw some explosive damage out when you think the shield might be down.

Nookovian-Red fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 7, 2014

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Gonkish posted:

Well yeah, that's what it does. It makes ADS accuracy better, but hipfire worse.

ADSing a shotgun pistol doesn't seem like the best idea.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Cabbit posted:

ADSing a shotgun pistol doesn't seem like the best idea.

It's for stalker-infils who ADS before uncloaking.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Nookovian-Red posted:

Great question. Its hard to test because you can't see damage the shield sustains but the shield does flash like its taking damage when it takes small arms fire. I haven't tried testing it to see if it'll drop the shield completely though. The only way you can tell the shield is down is if its not flashing anymore and damage starts to creep through but Sundies are invulnerable to small arms fire so you'd have to really pay attention to the shield flashes and then throw some explosive damage out when you think the shield might be down.

Just went into VR and emptied 2200 Mutilator rounds into a Sundy. Shield kept flashing as up the entire time - pretty sure that it didn't go down.

e: To rephrase my methodology: I put two tank mines under the Sundy, fired off 2000-ish rounds into the shield (staggered so there was no pause) and then shot the mines. Sundy took no damage. That's fairly good evidence, I'd say.

Tempest_56 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 8, 2014

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Segmentation Fault posted:

What about explosives? How much does composite armor help against that?

I tried calculating this but it's easier to just run in to VR and test it. No real difference on any of the major infantry launchers. Decimator goes from a 2 shot kill to a 3 shot kill (2 shot puts it into 1% HP so it just burns and dies). 2 with comp armor puts you just at red so you can repair or fire suppress it off. Two lockons set one on fire without composite armor, you're a little above burning. So comp armor saves you from going into burning mostly.

roxxor5678
Jan 17, 2005
Sniper chat: I grinded out the last 600 kills to aurax the Gauss SPR last night and unlocked The Moonshot this morning. Unsurprisingly, the gun is disappointing and total garbage - an ultra long-range sniper rifle with a tiny 6x scope stuck to it that can't be switched out.

That said, doing so much sniping over the last couple of days to aurax things has temporarily returned me to MLG pro-gamer sniper levels, so I'm completely wrecking shop despite the gun being absolute trash. The amount of ragetells this thing attracts more than makes up for its awful attachments.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Tempest_56 posted:

Just went into VR and emptied 2200 Mutilator rounds into a Sundy. Shield kept flashing as up the entire time - pretty sure that it didn't go down.

e: To rephrase my methodology: I put two tank mines under the Sundy, fired off 2000-ish rounds into the shield (staggered so there was no pause) and then shot the mines. Sundy took no damage. That's fairly good evidence, I'd say.

Try it on PTS, remember that blast damage doesn't work in the VR.

Cpt. Murphey
Mar 12, 2007
Wait, titles can have text in them? Well I'll be...

o muerte posted:

Try it on PTS, remember that blast damage doesn't work in the VR.

Just tried it on PTS and small arms do not appear to do anything other than make the shield light up.
Used the same method as Tempest_56 did, just outside the warpgate.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

SAW S auraxium in the bag. Trip report:

It's a very solid gun. Not really bad at anything, but after some use I think it's got a bit of the issue the pre-PU02 GD-22S had. It's got a somewhat low (but not cripplingly so) DPS so movement is really nice to buy yourself a bit of time, but it's a gun that punishes movement. I think I can't really imagine a scenario where I'd want the SAW S instead of a GD-22S, despite the SPA and exmags.

Which isn't to say don't use the SAW S! I enjoyed it, even with exmags it maintains fantastic accuracy provided you burst, and with exmags/spa it's an extremely good close-mid range gun. The problem is that the GD-22S is just that loving good

All that is left now for me is the Anchor, which I'm on the fence about as far as how much I like it. On the one hand it's a solid gun once you get the FSRM down, and it's pretty much a Gauss Rifle LMG variant. I tend to leave SPA off though and run a grip so I think it's going to end up being something more akin to a longer reload GD-22S :/

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Trust me dude, just run it with 2x/SPA/Grip and treat it like a big loving Gauss Rifle. If you liked the GD-22S, you'll love the Anchor. Its even better at close-mid range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I don't know when they put in ribbons for Recon, but holy Christ I just did like 36k score per hour attacking Regent Rock by just keeping sensor dongs down and blasting the errant runner with my mag-scatter.

• Locked thread