Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I'm going to assume they gambled with Dead Souls purely because Zombies Are Popular, Right Guys? :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Im honestly shocked that we even got that many. I got hooked on Yakuza 2, from that I bought Yakuza 3 and played through it. I came to the conclusion that Yakuza 3 sucked, and it kept me from buying Yakuza 4 until recently. But then again, I mainly play these games for their story, and Yakuza 3 had a story that took forever to get anywhere, and then when it did, they explained the whole story in a plot dump.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Yeah but gamers say Heavy Rain is a good story, so writing quality isn't really a concern when localizing a game. I've seen tons of people say Yakuza 3 had the best story in the series. (Much to my bewilderment)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Croccers posted:

I'm going to assume they gambled with Dead Souls purely because Zombies Are Popular, Right Guys? :downs:
Yeah, and to test the waters for Binary Domain probably.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, and to test the waters for Binary Domain probably.
Binary Domain came out before localized Dead Souls though.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Yeah but gamers say Heavy Rain is a good story, so writing quality isn't really a concern when localizing a game. I've seen tons of people say Yakuza 3 had the best story in the series. (Much to my bewilderment)

Which is loving odd, because barely anything happens of note until you get invited to speak to the Diet office. Thats pretty much when they tell you the whole entire plot line for the whole game. I honestly got to the last chapter and didn't realize that it was the end of the game because I was expecting more.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Croccers posted:

Oh huh, didn't remember that. So much for that theory.

I mean, I'm pretty sure that's why they MADE Dead Souls, but I guess not why they localized it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Croccers posted:

It was less than a month between them, from what I remember, or thereabouts also.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Yeah, not really enough time to test the waters. JPN Dead Souls might of laid the foundation for Binary Domain but neither seemed to have an effect on localization itself. Considering how closely they were released I'm betting they were translated around the same time.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I am not normally one to say that things in marketing are simple but this time I think they are: Yakuza games are stupid expensive to localize, and leaving aside the beatemup gameplay, the content is very Japan-specific and doesn't appeal to enough people out here.

Also, one reason it's so popular in Japan in the first place is because of the bazillions of product tie-ups they have, which would all be meaningless here. Basically, I don't know how I would present a good business case for localizing any more games. I don't really understand how they made the case for 4.

Whoever did got totally owned because it sold quite poorly.

Croccers posted:

It was a shooter instead of pure JRPG. That's about all the justification that's necessary in my mind.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

Im honestly shocked that we even got that many. I got hooked on Yakuza 2, from that I bought Yakuza 3 and played through it. I came to the conclusion that Yakuza 3 sucked, and it kept me from buying Yakuza 4 until recently. But then again, I mainly play these games for their story, and Yakuza 3 had a story that took forever to get anywhere, and then when it did, they explained the whole story in a plot dump.

I liked the story in Yakuza 4, particularly the side stories for each of the characters. Akiyama's interactions with his clients are some of the best moments in the game for me, and it kind of boggles my mind that they are completely optional.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Quiet Python posted:

I liked the story in Yakuza 4, particularly the side stories for each of the characters. Akiyama's interactions with his clients are some of the best moments in the game for me, and it kind of boggles my mind that they are completely optional.

Yakuza 4 had an amazing story. I loved it

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

blackguy32 posted:

Which is loving odd, because barely anything happens of note until you get invited to speak to the Diet office. Thats pretty much when they tell you the whole entire plot line for the whole game. I honestly got to the last chapter and didn't realize that it was the end of the game because I was expecting more.

I actually liked Yakuza 3 story and didn't mind the slow start. Then again, my favorite part about the series is just doing kind of a themepark workaround while beating various thugs into submission and visiting the stupid stores. That said, I did like Okinawa and the beach even though not much happened. It was certainly no Yakuza 2 or 4, but still very good.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Policenaut posted:

A big problem is not so much getting a game translated and put out onto discs and/or the PSN, but rather the fact that most localizations require the original development team (in some capacity) to be present to recreate the game with said localization. Sega of America localizes the game then sends it to Team Yakuza who then rebuilds the game with their work, and apparently Nagoshi really wanted to go make Yakuza: Samurai JRPG of a Million Features instead of stick around with Yakuza 5. You know that ISHIN and 5 aren't on the table because Nagoshi and Team Yakuza are already balls deep in on another game.

At the same other companies managed to figure it out somehow. Look at Atelier series, look at Tales recently, etc... It all can be done if the game is designed with localization in mind. The problem is that neither Yakuza team nor SEGA couldn't be bothered even though their home market is shrinking and the rest of the world is growing in importance even to other Japanese publishers (hey there MGS). If Nippon Ichi can manage to get their yearly Neptunia games translated while doing other poo poo at the same time, there is no excuse. And yes, I realize that average Yakuza game has a lot more script then Neptunia (not sure how much text is there) but Atelier and Tales have decent amount of storyline to translate.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Good news, the yakuza are getting translated into English after all!

:v: :suicide:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Actual Yakuza organizations are more internationally minded than SEGA. :negative:

oblomov posted:

At the same other companies managed to figure it out somehow. Look at Atelier series, look at Tales recently, etc... It all can be done if the game is designed with localization in mind. The problem is that neither Yakuza team nor SEGA couldn't be bothered even though their home market is shrinking and the rest of the world is growing in importance even to other Japanese publishers (hey there MGS). If Nippon Ichi can manage to get their yearly Neptunia games translated while doing other poo poo at the same time, there is no excuse. And yes, I realize that average Yakuza game has a lot more script then Neptunia (not sure how much text is there) but Atelier and Tales have decent amount of storyline to translate.

Let's not pretend people weren't praying for miracles out of Bamco until Graces F showed them that people outside of Europe wanted good Tales games. SEGA wasn't the only company afraid that their own efforts would be wasted, it just currently the only company that apparently can't do anything to remedy this because its Western branch is deader than Dead Souls.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Crabtree posted:

Actual Yakuza organizations are more internationally minded than SEGA. :negative:

Let's not pretend people weren't praying for miracles out of Bamco until Graces F showed them that people outside of Europe wanted good Tales games. SEGA wasn't the only company afraid that their own efforts would be wasted, it just currently the only company that apparently can't do anything to remedy this because its Western branch is deader than Dead Souls.

They may pull a Capcom and just give up on us like what they did with the Gundam VS series.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Who's ready to do this poo poo again?

The newest Yakuza title will be unveiled on August 24th. From what I can gather, only the game's title and "visual" will be revealed, and the rest is presumably coming to Tokyo Game Show the following month. Could it be a new PS3 game? Is Team Yakuza making the jump to PS4? Or is this that weird Vita game they said they were making like 2 years ago and haven't brought up.

Oh, and Atlus reps met with Sega and Nagoshi to talk about their title line-up over the next three years and possible collaborations.

So, anyone import ISHIN! yet? I'm probably going to plunk down the cash because holy poo poo the game is only $40 used now for PS4 on eBay.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

So, anyone import ISHIN! yet? I'm probably going to plunk down the cash because holy poo poo the game is only $40 used now for PS4 on eBay.
Yep, I played through Ishin. I don't think it's one of the best games in the series (among other things, the gunplay part of it is just hosed and no fun at all) but it's still Yakuza and there are still lots of street thugs who need justice inflicted on them.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Yeah, I thought the different weapons and the dungeon minigame threw off the combat balance a bit too much. It's just too easy to sit back with a gun that hits multiple targets and jam on the fire button in most situations. I enjoyed the story though, and they came up with some very cool set pieces.

Speaking of combat balance, I still need to do the RGG5 Amon fight. Urghhhh.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

uiruki posted:

Yeah, I thought the different weapons and the dungeon minigame threw off the combat balance a bit too much. It's just too easy to sit back with a gun that hits multiple targets and jam on the fire button in most situations. I enjoyed the story though, and they came up with some very cool set pieces.

Speaking of combat balance, I still need to do the RGG5 Amon fight. Urghhhh.

The single sword is by far the most powerful style in my opinion. Real easy to guard/counter anyone who attacks you and you can do a lot of damage, especially when you start doing a lot of quests and getting exotic swords.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Policenaut posted:

Who's ready to do this poo poo again?

The newest Yakuza title will be unveiled on August 24th. From what I can gather, only the game's title and "visual" will be revealed, and the rest is presumably coming to Tokyo Game Show the following month. Could it be a new PS3 game? Is Team Yakuza making the jump to PS4? Or is this that weird Vita game they said they were making like 2 years ago and haven't brought up.

Oh, and Atlus reps met with Sega and Nagoshi to talk about their title line-up over the next three years and possible collaborations.

Probably a Persona tie in. Remember, SEGA like Capcom has given up on the west completely and made sure anyone who tries to follow be punished for being a international fan.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
So what was the plot of 5? How does it stack up to previous entries? What happens to the major characters?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cyra posted:

So what was the plot of 5? How does it stack up to previous entries? What happens to the major characters?
The theme of 5 is "dreams". Haruka wants to be an idol, Kiryu wants a life away from crime, the new guy Shinada wants back into pro baseball, and so on. It's way different than the previous ones, and has no real connection to anything else, but I really liked it.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yep, I played through Ishin. I don't think it's one of the best games in the series (among other things, the gunplay part of it is just hosed and no fun at all) but it's still Yakuza and there are still lots of street thugs who need justice inflicted on them.

Yeah, I got a copy for $50 including fast shipping for PS4. Probably won't start for a while though. I still think Sega is just leaving money on the table, especially on PS4, but Sega is going to Sega.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Samurai Sanders posted:

The theme of 5 is "dreams". Haruka wants to be an idol, Kiryu wants a life away from crime, the new guy Shinada wants back into pro baseball, and so on. It's way different than the previous ones, and has no real connection to anything else, but I really liked it.

Isn't Kiryu some tazi driver now as well or something?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Crabtree posted:

Isn't Kiryu some tazi driver now as well or something?
Yeah, that's the job he works to stay away from crime, and send money back to the orphanage. He just drives a taxi for the entire game and never gets in fights with gangsters or anything.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, that's the job he works to stay away from crime, and send money back to the orphanage. He just drives a taxi for the entire game and never gets in fights with gangsters or anything.

I thought we were beyond Yakuza 4 at this point! :derp:

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Sega does own the rights to Crazy Taxi, and they did put A Car in a fighting game before. You could make a super interesting Yakuza game without taking him out from behind the wheel.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

What happens to Majima in Yakuza 5?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Skeezy posted:

What happens to Majima in Yakuza 5?
Not to him directly, but Haruka's manager, Mirei Park, is his ex-wife, so he kind of gets sucked into that

edit: you know what is always interesting to me about the Yakuza series? It's pretty drat nationalist, and lots of nationalists in Japan hate Koreans, but Koreans often feature prominently and sympathetically in the games, especially 5.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 7, 2014

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Not to him directly, but Haruka's manager, Mirei Park, is his ex-wife, so he kind of gets sucked into that

edit: you know what is always interesting to me about the Yakuza series? It's pretty drat nationalist, and lots of nationalists in Japan hate Koreans, but Koreans often feature prominently and sympathetically in the games, especially 5.

So where does that newspaper article about Majima getting killed come in?

I seem to remember someone posting that in relation to Yakuza 5.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Skeezy posted:

So where does that newspaper article about Majima getting killed come in?

I seem to remember someone posting that in relation to Yakuza 5.
My memory is a bit dim but I think that was just a reason to link the story to Mirei, and to not have him appear in most of the game.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

My memory is a bit dim but I think that was just a reason to link the story to Mirei, and to not have him appear in most of the game.

Oh wow so Majima isn't really in the game? That's a drat shame.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I dunno if this was posted before or is helpful in anyway, but I saw this playlist of Yakuza's 5 cutscenes subbed in English that goes halfway through before stopping suddenly. I dunno if it's good translations but I figured it might be interesting for some people?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Skeezy posted:

Oh wow so Majima isn't really in the game? That's a drat shame.
After this revelation Japan can keep Y5.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

gyrobot posted:

More like angry and bitter at how crap from NISA and XSEED keeps coming over here while good games like Yakuza and SB4 isn't because Capcom and SEGA are more sensitive to the opinions of Journalism than the pedo pandering crap from Compile Heart who can live on the wallets of a tall fandom.

This is hands-down the most incomprehensibly awful argument I have ever seen someone make on these forums. Is there some corner of the internet where these insane and completely unsubstantiated assumptions you're making are accepted as common knowledge?

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

This is hands-down the most incomprehensibly awful argument I have ever seen someone make on these forums. Is there some corner of the internet where these insane and completely unsubstantiated assumptions you're making are accepted as common knowledge?

Don't worry about it too much. It's well established by now the gyrobot is some kind of conspiracy theorist.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Ryoga posted:

Don't worry about it too much. It's well established by now the gyrobot is some kind of conspiracy theorist.

I consider myself a spiteful NISA and Compile Heart hater in whom to focus my hate on.

And most former fans of Japanese pop culture often take it out on creepy fandoms to be honest. I wish I still had that quote from some guy who talks about Japan's lovely tastes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

gyrobot posted:

I consider myself a spiteful NISA and Compile Heart hater in whom to focus my hate on.

I consider you a loving idiot, because that's what you are.

• Locked thread