Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Ragequit posted:

Do you think you could get it under 30k so tyi can make it his avatar here? Thanks.

This made me laugh. Both at the joke and the realisation that this forum hasnt changed its avatar size limits for 14 years :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Arkanomen posted:

In my defense most of that time was the game alt-tabbed waiting for dumb crops to grow while I did other poo poo.

I think the idea is you're supposed to play with building blocks while waiting for that.

Or go kill something and eat it.

Did you accidentally download farming simulator instead?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

goodness posted:

So if you had your 20bux back, would you be happy now?

Yeah you played 100+ hours. You just need a mod so you can play as a baby ingame.

What big crawled up your rear end? I don't want my money back, but I'm not buying another chucklefish game again. Basically the game is dead. I'm disappointed because I contributed more than that to game I felt excited about. However the devs have shown inexperience and I don't have confidence they will produce anything that will revive the game. The dev doc screen cap was another wasted opportunity to prove the game had life. I don't think I'm off are here. It's basically mass effect 3 all over again.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Arkanomen posted:

What big crawled up your rear end? I don't want my money back, but I'm not buying another chucklefish game again. Basically the game is dead. I'm disappointed because I contributed more than that to game I felt excited about. However the devs have shown inexperience and I don't have confidence they will produce anything that will revive the game. The dev doc screen cap was another wasted opportunity to prove the game had life. I don't think I'm off are here. It's basically mass effect 3 all over again.

Why do you keep saying the game is dead? It's updating consistently in the nightly builds.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Arkanomen posted:

What big crawled up your rear end?

You insulted Starbound.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Arkanomen posted:

It gets nightly updates, daily devblog posts, has an extremely active community, and is available for purchase.

I am not sure how much more alive a game is capable of being, short of gaining sentience?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Arkanomen posted:

E: basically anything that would have shown that starbound isn't a dead game with no dev future
Updating almost every night is literally not enough to prove that your game isn't dead and abandoned

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

OwlFancier posted:

It gets nightly updates, daily devblog posts, has an extremely active community, and is available for purchase.

I am not sure how much more alive a game is capable of being, short of gaining sentience?

No, you see, you are the Starbound!

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

Updating almost every night is literally not enough to prove that your game isn't dead and abandoned

Nightly updates aren't REAL updates because of
:goonsay:

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

djw175 posted:

It's updating consistently in the nightly builds.

OwlFancier posted:

It gets nightly updates...

Vib Rib posted:

Updating almost every night...

I'm waiting on stable builds and have no idea if they do patch notes for the nightly updates, what big changes or improvements have been added to the game in the nightly build and how long have they been doing it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kly posted:

I'm waiting on stable builds and have no idea if they do patch notes for the nightly updates, what big changes or improvements have been added to the game in the nightly build and how long have they been doing it?

The nightlies have been going for probably a month or two, but they will contain most of the changes since the last stable.

I honestly can't list all the stuff they've added because they usually post some new feature or other every other day on the starbound website. Off the top of my head they're overhauling all combat mechanics, adding upgradable spaceships, adding a bunch of new dungeons, reworking all the monsters, adding unique 'planets' that are actually purely dungeons, essentially space hulks, and adding some proper, scripted progression into the game.

If you head to the starbound website and read backwards on the frontpage you'll find new features basically every few posts.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Could somebody link me to some riveting nightly discussion?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Magmarashi posted:

This has been explained to loving death but please never let facts get in the way of shitposting.

Tiy asked about how dirt should be handled, and it was an overwhelming vote towards separate dirts for aesthetic poo poo, and a piddling trickle of people for the idea of unified dirt.
Hmm yes, your aesthetics certainly justifies my inventory woes. If only there was some mechanic that could have resolved this...

But no, painting doesn't work - that would destroy the immersion of visiting all these planets individually just to dig dirt!

Jackard fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 7, 2014

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

OwlFancier posted:

The game load is down to 5k people, nearly all the multiplayer servers are dead or empty, no stable builds mean no mod updates and the community is an poo poo show right now. I've seen bigger games in this state die and it's sad because that means starbound is dead, barring a miracle, which I don't see happening.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Jackard posted:

Hmm yes, your aesthetics/immersion certainly justifies my inventory woes. If only there was some mechanic that could have resolved this!

You seem to be a little frustrated about Video games.

Vexed.

Perturbed.

Incensed.

Perhaps a little...Mad.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Have we then reached the "U MAD" point of the discussion? Glad that's out of the way.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Arkanomen posted:

The game load is down to 5k people, nearly all the multiplayer servers are dead or empty, no stable builds mean no mod updates and the community is an poo poo show right now. I've seen bigger games in this state die and it's sad because that means starbound is dead, barring a miracle, which I don't see happening.

So you're judging the game being alive based on how many people are playing multiplayer?

Starbound is an mmo?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Arkanomen posted:

If I had to hypothesise, a lot of people are probably playing unstable, or modded, which would cause issues with large scale multiplayer. Also the game isn't really an open multiplayer kind of game, it's more a 'play with your friends' kind of game, so organising a group to play with would probably be your best bet for any sandbox game. The community is always a shitshow, which is why we spend so much time making fun of them. And I'm not sure 'pushing the nightly to stable' counts as 'a miracle' really.

It's a game in development, it's not 'dead' because it hasn't got stable updates, it's normal for games not to have stable updates during development, because making stable updates requires doing things you then trash when you start developing again. Games are normally unstable for the majority of the development cycle. I would understand if the game was dead because the devs hadn't been heard from in a month, but there are literally devblogs every day, and you can play the latest build every night.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 7, 2014

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Magmarashi posted:

You seem to be a little frustrated about Video games.

Vexed.

Perturbed.

Incensed.

Perhaps a little...Mad.

I'm really glad that this how this thread responds to any level of criticism against Starbound.

Just because someone out there is being unreasonable about the game doesn't mean people who aren't being unreasonable are any less valid, y'all. Going WOW YOU'RE STARTING TO SOUND A LITTLE LIKE THOSE 4CHAN BABIES every time someone criticizes the game is dumb as hell.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Varinn posted:

I'm really glad that this how this thread responds to any level of criticism against Starbound.

Just because someone out there is being unreasonable about the game doesn't mean people who aren't being unreasonable are any less valid, y'all. Going WOW YOU'RE STARTING TO SOUND A LITTLE LIKE THOSE 4CHAN BABIES every time someone criticizes the game is dumb as hell.

Well, when I see a reasonable complaint posted in the current discussion I'll be sure to give them a loving cookie for not being bad.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Arkanomen posted:

When the Arkanomen emerges, he will either see a miracle, or his shadow. If he sees a miracle the game will be a success, if he sees his shadow, 6 more months of development.
This is an especially important Arkanomen day for the folks at Chucklefish.
We take you, live, to the Arkanomen hole.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Off the top of my head they're overhauling all combat mechanics, adding upgradable spaceships, adding a bunch of new dungeons, reworking all the monsters, adding unique 'planets' that are actually purely dungeons, essentially space hulks, and adding some proper, scripted progression into the game.

So if I download the latest nightly right now it'll have completely different combat mechanics, upgradable spaceships, a bunch of new dungeons, reworked monsters, unique 'planets' and some proper, scripted progression into the game?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Varinn posted:

Someone made this post awhile back in the thread, and I think it super speaks for the game's biggest weakness atm

It's really fun to find a bizarre weird new biome in Starbound, but when you realize that all you're getting is a different color of sand, or a new ground block, it takes away some of the excitement.

I hope the material spread gets changed around as well because the current set of "every 2 levels a new iron is swapped in" along with the sudden appearance of actual ship fuel makes the start a terrible slog. Then you start unlocking different techs and suddenly you need durasteel or titanium or iron and have to go warping around sectors to find it. I was tempted to make a skyrail until I saw just how much durasteel it required for each piece.

The 3D printer needs to accept more stuff. Including materials. If I want to burn a ton of pixels to print out a mountain of titanium for my skyrail then let me. It's weird to be able to 3D print complex things and not base materials. Plus I always end up with hundreds of diamond and platinum when on high level planets and being able to turn those into pixels and then in to giant piles of low tier materials would be handy as hell.

Arkanomen posted:

Not really. I was hoping with the nightly updates and some opening up of the behinds the scenes some new life would be blown into this dying game but doing something like this shows there is not not will there be any transparency into the development of this game. I had my fun but there's not going to be anything else. I've been lurking the drama around this game in various venues and honestly it's sad. Basically that tweet is the coffin nail for starbound that it now shares with mass effect 3 and Sim City 5. Take the money and run I guess.

I want to believe your just trolling and not this much of a self-important idiot. Your later posts in the thread show that you are, unfortunately, a moron.

Devour or Fire posted:

Wow being a game dev sounds tough.

There's support groups and high burnout rates in the industry because one can only take so many years of dealing with the average gamer before deciding "you know what, gently caress this industry I'm going to go work a less exploited industry, like coal mining." This thread having someone cry because after having spent 100+ hours in the game they haven't seen any updates even though they can get nightly builds with changes in them, is so sad it's funny.

Varinn posted:

Yes, being unreasonable is less valid than being reasonable. When someone complains "THERE'S NO UPDATES!!!!!:qq:" when they have the option to grav nightly builds, they are being unreasonable and their complaint is less valid than if Tiy said "the next patch is on X date and will have Y feature" with X date coming, the patch being late without explanation, and Y feature not being in it without explanation.

The first complaint should be ignored, or mocked if the person keeps doubling down on stupidity. The second would warrant an explanation and reflect poorly otherwise.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Sedisp posted:

So you're judging the game being alive based on how many people are playing multiplayer?

Starbound is an mmo?

No 5k is the total people playing based of steam stats.And yeah sandbox is more fun in multiplayer.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Devour or Fire posted:

Could somebody link me to some riveting nightly discussion?

Keep moving those goalposts; the cardio is good for you.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
You're acting like 5k people playing a game is some huge blow to an indie developer. That's better than standard really. Especially when the game's still in EA.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Jackard posted:

Hmm yes, your aesthetics certainly justifies my inventory woes. If only there was some mechanic that could have resolved this...
You like it one way, other people like it another way. If it bothers you, just take a few seconds during the unskippable warp between planets and trash the extra dirt. It's not like you need to save it up for anything anyway.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kly posted:

So if I download the latest nightly right now it'll have completely different combat mechanics, upgradable spaceships, a bunch of new dungeons, reworked monsters, unique 'planets' and some proper, scripted progression into the game?

I honestly couldn't tell you, I don't use the nightlies, those are all features that are being worked on/have screenshots of them, but I don't know if they're merged into the nightly branch currently. A game's codebase is a bit odd, you don't have everyone hacking away at a single big codeheap simultaneously, everyone checks out their own little copy and works on it, then it gets merged back into the main one later, which can take a while as your coders need to make their changes work with each other, which is much easier to do after you've finished working on them, but which still takes a while.

I don't know if they've hooked the new spaceships into the game yet either, the assets are done and ingame, but I don't think the game has any provision for giving them to the player yet.

Arkanomen posted:

And yeah sandbox is more fun in multiplayer.

As in, public multiplayer?

Because that's extremely surprising to me, playing with pubbies is utterly dire in every sandbox I've ever tried.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

See, if none of these changes are actually implemented in a functional way in the nightly build then all these arguments of "it gets nightly updates!" kinda fall flat when they're not actually adding anything. My stable version is in pretty much the exact same state it was a week after EA release and it sounds like the nightly build isn't much farther either.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Arkanomen posted:

No 5k is the total people playing based of steam stats.And yeah sandbox is more fun in multiplayer.

A game that still is in development isn't decided to be dead based on how many people playing it. I shouldn't have had to explain that to an adult of normal intelligence.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

quote:

Evil Fluffy

Honestly I'm not trying to change anyone's mind nor tell the devs how to do their job. I'm just saying personally I'm disappointed and my hopes for playing it like I did a year ago are dead.

Sedisp posted:

A game that still is in development isn't decided to be dead based on how many people playing it. I shouldn't have had to explain that to an adult of normal intelligence.

Minecraft did it just fine.

Arkanomen fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 7, 2014

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Arkanomen posted:

Honestly I'm not trying to change anyone's mind nor tell the devs how to do their job. I'm just saying personally I'm disappointed and my hopes for playing it like I did a year ago are dead.

Oh ok, later!

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

An update literally doesn't count as a "real" update until it can be applied to the Steam version without wiping worlds/saves. This isn't my standard for it, this was literally what Tiy said after the last big wipe patch a monthish after EA release. I think the idea of unstable nightly builds is really cool, but you have to understand that its for diehard fans, not the general consumer, which most EA purchasers are, whether you like it or not. Being on the frontpage of steam is a double-edged sword.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yes, being unreasonable is less valid than being reasonable. When someone complains "THERE'S NO UPDATES!!!!!:qq:" when they have the option to grav nightly builds, they are being unreasonable and their complaint is less valid than if Tiy said "the next patch is on X date and will have Y feature" with X date coming, the patch being late without explanation, and Y feature not being in it without explanation.

The first complaint should be ignored, or mocked if the person keeps doubling down on stupidity. The second would warrant an explanation and reflect poorly otherwise.

That's not what I meant! What I mean is that any time someone brings up an issue they have in here, everyone makes sure to tell them that maybe they should consider all these assholes out there and how the team obviously can't say anything about X because of 4chan/reddit, and how dare you whine, etc etc. Which is ridiculous. What I'm saying is that valid criticism shouldn't be lumped in with invalid complaints.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kly posted:

See, if none of these changes are actually implemented in a functional way in the nightly build then all these arguments of "it gets nightly updates!" kinda fall flat when they're not actually adding anything. My stable version is in pretty much the exact same state it was a week after EA release and it sounds like the nightly build isn't much farther either.

...No, it gives concrete proof that the development is continuing.

Again, dev-talk for a moment, a nightly is literally 'we leave the server on all night and it compiles automatically at midnight, posts it to the main branch, and uploads it to the server for you to download too, you play whatever we're currently working on, in whatever state that is'

The point of a public nightly isn't to provide a playable experience for users, the point of it is to showcase development progress, which it does. Anything in the nightly will be accessible the same way it is to the developers. There won't be a questline to upgrade your ship, but you can probably use a dev command to load into one and have a look at it.

As an argument against the game being dead it's fairly incontrovertible, a game under active development is not dead, a game with nightly builds which are constantly changing is a game which is under active development.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 7, 2014

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
http://starbounder.org/Version_History/Nightly

This really wasn't hard to find. Also it doesn't touch on a lot of changes.

e: You can use admin commands to see the ship upgrades pretty easily

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
Starbound - My hopes for playing it like I did a year ago are dead.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Arkanomen posted:

Minecraft did it just fine.

That doesn't even make sense.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Also Minecraft is a one in a million phenomenon and shouldn't really be used as a standard for anything.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

Also Minecraft is a one in a million phenomenon and shouldn't really be used as a standard for anything.

But mincraft did it just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Would anyone be interested in a mod where you can plug in pixels for some of the lower grade materials, (ala durasteel, skyrails, things like that?) If so, do you have a list of things you'd like to see built?

• Locked thread