Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best version of El?
This poll is closed.
Elminster 20 6.45%
Elmara 20 6.45%
Entwine 13 4.19%
GURPS 99 31.94%
El Kabong 153 49.35%
Elves 5 1.61%
Total: 310 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Impermanent posted:

I advice anyone looking to quit smoking to do what I did and spend a winter on top of the Appalachian mountains. You can't smoke if you can't stand to be outside for more than 30 seconds at a time.

Probably not going to work for me. I picked up this habit while doing my military service during one of the coldest winters in recent memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alouicious posted:

don't e-cigs make mold and poo poo grow in your lungs from the water vapor

never shower, it's the only way to be safe
:goonsay:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Alouicious posted:

don't e-cigs make mold and poo poo grow in your lungs from the water vapor

Water is super toxic to humans.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

That's why I only drink Mountain Dew, water's not gonna get ME

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how is mountain dew a popular drink anyway :barf:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

Water is super toxic to humans.

well it's more that you're inhaling water vapor directly into your lungs in the same way you're inhaling smoke directly into your lungs when you smoke a regular cigarette is the problem there chief buddy guy jack

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tollymain posted:

how is mountain dew a popular drink anyway :barf:

Because it's water-flavoured sugar and pairs well with a classic selection of taco bell

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
Smoking is the only habit where I've had people who're deep into it say "You really don't want to do this." Which is just as well because when I'm around cigarette smoke pretty much my whole respiratory system starts telling me to get away. I can't speak to the effect it has on them, but coworkers getting into e-cigs at least made my lungs stop hating their smoking breaks.

My day job has started providing milk and cereal, so my breakfast is usually cinnamon toast crunch and tea. (Darjeeling lately, though I have around a dozen kinds of tea at my desk.)

So here's an actual TG type question: What nifty stuff is going on in the way of PbtA games? I'm finding it really striking how although there's some standard gaming stuff (Dungeon World, Tremulus, etc.) there's also games where someone is taking a really unconventional concept and executing it pretty well in as a PbtA game, like Sagas of the Icelanders and The 'Hood.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

if you eat watermelon seeds they will grow into a full sized one inside your body

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Alouicious posted:

well it's more that you're inhaling water vapor directly into your lungs in the same way you're inhaling smoke directly into your lungs when you smoke a regular cigarette is the problem there chief buddy guy jack

Ban steam showers :tinfoil:

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Alouicious posted:

Its propylene glycol or vegetable glycerine (and flavoring and nicotine), not water. Stephen Dorff lied to you.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Well, there's not much point to ecigs when second-hand smoke is a myth anyway.

Ewen Cluney posted:

So here's an actual TG type question: What nifty stuff is going on in the way of PbtA games?

I'd like to know too. Reminded that I need to take a look at my kickstarted draft of Worlds in Peril and see what I think of it!

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Dagon posted:

Its propylene glycol or vegetable glycerine (and flavoring and nicotine), not water. Stephen Dorff lied to you.
There is some degree of irony if you are right in having a cigarette substitute in which a major ingredient is something that the big corporations says you really shouldn't be inhaling.
Edit:
Leave it to Tarnowski to be a moron about everything.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 7, 2014

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

This quest from Chuubo's Magical Wish-Granting Engine is my new favorite thing:

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

"I found a study that supports my (crazy) beliefs, therefor it is the only credible study on the topic that has ever been performed" is depressingly common everywhere

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ewen Cluney posted:

So here's an actual TG type question: What nifty stuff is going on in the way of PbtA games? I'm finding it really striking how although there's some standard gaming stuff (Dungeon World, Tremulus, etc.) there's also games where someone is taking a really unconventional concept and executing it pretty well in as a PbtA game, like Sagas of the Icelanders and The 'Hood.

You know we have a PbtA thread where people talk about that kind of thing.

(Not much right now, though, there's been a bit of a lull in PbtA hacks)

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

if you eat watermelon seeds they will grow into a full sized one inside your body

this is true, inferior-celled ones

Swagger Dagger posted:

Another Jenna Moran thing to put on the wishlist

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Swagger Dagger posted:

Alright, what's the deal with Chuubo's Magical Wish-Granting Engine? I suddenly care about it. Is there a thread?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Mystic Mongol posted:

Alright, what's the deal with Chuubo's Magical Wish-Granting Engine? I suddenly care about it. Is there a thread?

As it happens, there is!

As of the day before yesterday Chuubo had gone from 99% to 99.9% done. I think we're just waiting on the final cover and some corrections to the sponsor list.

Chuubo is both a great setting and has some fairly unique mechanical innovations but maybe I should let someone else describe them?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I feel like it's a bait and switch, I go to find out about the dog kung-fu, but I'm afraid then I'll get stuck reading twenty pages about what type of china plate my spirit monkey champions.
the answer is Flora Danicaaaaaa

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Ewen Cluney posted:

At some point I should probably do something with the hack I wrote for last year's August competition. I mean, it won and the runners up, Titan World and Legacy, actually got finished, with Legacy actually being available for sale on DTRPG. It's stuck in between drafts of 'the basic moves are quite poo poo and a couple of the playbooks don't do what I want them to do'. The people I got to playtest it did say it was fun though so maybe I should just go for it. We have those publishing indie RPG threads now, too.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
titan world would make an amazing fantasy dungeon meatgrinder game with some modifications

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, there's not much point to ecigs when second-hand smoke is a myth anyway.

Ugh why did you remind me of that poo poo.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Effectronica posted:

Another Jenna Moran thing to put on the wishlist

I got it for 1 dollar on KS but on retrospect i should have pledged more b/c its p good

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Slimnoid posted:

Man I love it when he's baldly hypocritical. He's doing exactly what he's decrying all in the same blog post: cherry-picking the poo poo out of stuff and leaning hard on unclear second-hand reporting. Bonus for linking to a subscription-based article that cuts off halfway into a sentence about how, yes, actually there are instances of increased cancer risk in X really broadly applicable group. The full article is amusingly enough available on the Ron Paul forums who have similarly batshit things to say about it.

EDIT: Anyway Jenna is an amazing writer and you should definitely give Chuubo's a try.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Slimnoid posted:

That guy's brain is a bag of cats, you can smell crazy on him.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Error 404 posted:

I don't know if I could smell it past the cheap rank-rear end pipe tobacco smoke that hovers around him.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

hosed up, but true.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Error 404 posted:

Well said, or quoted anyway. I just caught up on his non-blog rants courtesy of G+. Yikes. The blog stuff was kinda funny in a "this guy needs help if he isn't trolling" way, but he's far, far worse than I had imagined.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

mllaneza posted:

Well said, or quoted anyway. I just caught up on his non-blog rants courtesy of G+. Yikes. The blog stuff was kinda funny in a "this guy needs help if he isn't trolling" way, but he's far, far worse than I had imagined.

Yeah, I had to touch the poop a bit and call out his latest We are the REAL victims G+ post there a whopping irony.

I'm pretty sure his fan club don't understand irony, because nobody's really jumped on me.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
SPEAKING OF FRANK! Frank's best bud seems to be going around spruiking his 'debunking' of the fail forward piece anywhere it's been mentioned.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
He and Zak S are truly sad people.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Cassa posted:

SPEAKING OF FRANK! Frank's best bud seems to be going around spruiking his 'debunking' of the fail forward piece anywhere it's been mentioned.

Frank?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Cassa posted:

Who is that?
EDIT:
Also who the hell mentioned Frank?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Isn't pundit's real name frank trollman?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Cassa posted:

No...not that I know of.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Cassa posted:

No. Its John Tarnowski.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Frank's an entirely different insufferable dude who makes bad games, he pretty much entirely sticks to The Gaming Den because that's where his limited pool of sycophants (the ones that praised After Sundown :v:) are.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

No. Savage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MadScientistWorking posted:

No. Its John Tarnowski.

It's Kasimir Urbanski going by the G+ post where I got schooled hard for making the same mistake.

• Locked thread