Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best version of El?
This poll is closed.
Elminster 20 6.45%
Elmara 20 6.45%
Entwine 13 4.19%
GURPS 99 31.94%
El Kabong 153 49.35%
Elves 5 1.61%
Total: 310 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

mllaneza posted:

It's Kasimir Urbanski going by the G+ post where I got schooled hard for making the same mistake.

Pundit has a thing about letting English speakers know his real name, but he goes by John Tarnowski and has done so for years in Spanish-language RPG communities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Good to see the Doxxnet working fast enough to find their names.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
And yet he has no problem with calling out others by their real names.

Makes ya think, don't it :tinfoil:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Effectronica posted:

Pundit has a thing about letting English speakers know his real name, but he goes by John Tarnowski and has done so for years in Spanish-language RPG communities.

Ok.

But based on the screenshots I saw, Urbanski is a real piece of work.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I would like to apologise for my mistake in associating someone with a name they do not go by.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Slimnoid posted:

And yet he has no problem with calling out others by their real names.

Makes ya think, don't it :tinfoil:

He probably wouldn't be so concerned about his own real name getting out there if he wasn't cognizant of the harm he does.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Good to see the Doxxnet working fast enough to find their names.

much like you're posting.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Evil Sagan posted:

He probably wouldn't be so concerned about his own real name getting out there if he wasn't cognizant of the harm he does.

Well, supposedly the RPGPundit is all an act, but it's pretty hard to maintain that when he's being treated as a serious consultant, and also when he's bloviating about how he's the defender of all minorities in the RPG hobby, but you know, details.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Slimnoid posted:

No. Savage.

It's all in the numbers. Number one: that's Tarnowski.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cassa posted:

I would like to apologise for my mistake in associating someone with a name they do not go by.

Trollman and Pundit hate each other, so I enjoyed it.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Solomonic posted:

It's all in the numbers. Number one: that's Tarnowski.

Number two: that's Tarnowski.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Evil Sagan posted:

What kills me is that he didn't even use his real name in the credits for Next. It's straight-up TheRPGPundit.

Effectronica posted:

Well, supposedly the RPGPundit is all an act, but it's pretty hard to maintain that when he's being treated as a serious consultant, and also when he's bloviating about how he's the defender of all minorities in the RPG hobby, but you know, details.

Yeah his "I'm their ally, YOU aren't" stance is the biggest pile of poo poo because no, you don't get to claim to be an ally, other people will call you that and only if you actually make steps towards being one and actually walk the walk. Tarnowski is the complete opposite of inclusive, cover of an RPG be damned.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Error 404 posted:

much like you're posting.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Effectronica posted:

What's the difference between your real personality and a character that you never break out of

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Effectronica posted:

That still confuses the hell out of me because the last thing I would want to do when I'm concocting a pseudonym is to provide any sort of identifiable information that people could use to found out who I am. Then again in the past couple of weeks he's managed to do all that while engaging the "outrage brigade".

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Am I member of the Outrage Brigade? I never received a card.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Tulul posted:

Number two: that's Tarnowski.
Grognards ruling the world.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

frankenfreak posted:

Grognards ruling the world.

I'll take the GEP gun, a silent takedown is the best. I'll take the GEP gun.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Evil Sagan posted:

Am I member of the Outrage Brigade? I never received a card.

If I tell you that you're not, will you be angry?

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

I think that just posting here makes us part of the Ettin hivemind, so yeah we're definitely part of the Outrage Brigade

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Darwinism posted:

I think that just posting here makes us part of the Ettin hivemind, so yeah we're definitely part of the Outrage Brigade

I find this Outrageous sir! Pistols at dawn!

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Error 404 posted:

I'll take the GEP gun, a silent takedown is the best. I'll take the GEP gun.

Get the hell out of here, Error 404!

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
Out of dread curiosity, does anyone actually own Lords of Olympus? I noticed it when I was glancing at the Pundit's site and my immediate reaction was :psyduck:, because it is a game that bills itself with "The focus is on roleplaying and the story, fostering creativity."

Then I noticed that A) It has Diceless Roleplaying in the title and B) "Players bid for ability classes, so they get a say in how powerful their characters are in certain areas" is the second part of the blurb.

Am I correct in my assumption that this game just switches from D&D groggery to Amber groggery?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tulul posted:

Am I correct in my assumption that this game just switches from D&D groggery to Amber groggery?

AFAIK it's basically Amber with the serial numbers filed off. Like to an almost litigious degree.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Tulul posted:

Out of dread curiosity, does anyone actually own Lords of Olympus? I noticed it when I was glancing at the Pundit's site and my immediate reaction was :psyduck:, because it is a game that bills itself with "The focus is on roleplaying and the story, fostering creativity."

Then I noticed that A) It has Diceless Roleplaying in the title and B) "Players bid for ability classes, so they get a say in how powerful their characters are in certain areas" is the second part of the blurb.

Yes. It's pretty much Amber. Which falls exactly into the storygame category that Pundowski always rails against only it was made by his personal hero Eric Wujcik and you see he runs the official Amber forums so its okay if he rips a system off.

This is fine because

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

From what I understand it is totally just Amber Diceless with the serial numbers filled off.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Because Wujick's GMing advice in Amber is about as awful as anything you'd find in an OSR viking hat game, complete with dumb "Players want to help define or explore setting mysteries? gently caress 'em, Trumps now run on Trump juice and their deck is out!" stuff.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Slimnoid posted:

Yes. It's pretty much Amber. Which falls exactly into the storygame category that Pundowski always rails against only it was made by his personal hero Eric Wujcik and you see he runs the official Amber forums so its okay if he rips a system off.

This is fine because

You have to understand that Pundit, and theRPGSite in general, advocate for a very adversarial GM style, and Amber is about as adversarial as you can get. So it becomes an honorary real RPG.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

unseenlibrarian posted:

Because Wujick's GMing advice in Amber is about as awful as anything you'd find in an OSR viking hat game, complete with dumb "Players want to help define or explore setting mysteries? gently caress 'em, Trumps now run on Trump juice and their deck is out!" stuff.
Don't forget "Screw your players! What, they bought, with precious limited character generation points, the ability to not be screwed over in that way? SCREM THEM OVER EVEN HARDER"

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Error 404 posted:

That guy's brain is a bag of cats, you can smell crazy on him.
Everything you post is now narrated by Mark Ruffalo in my head.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Slimnoid posted:

This is fine because
If I remember right (why do I have this crap in my brain) he claimed he was personally acquainted with Wujcik so it's totes cool. Legally as long as you don't plagiarize the actual wording or trade dress or whatever, you can totally copy game rules, which is why OSRIC and that clone of the old TSR Marvel game are able to exist. Mostly I have a hard time caring, because I was so excited about the idea of a diceless RPG, and then so disappointed to find it was basically, "Eh, compare the two numbers and make a judgment call."

Mostly, Pundit is just actively hostile to innovation (after a certain cutoff date to allow stuff like Amber in), and apart from one of his D&D clones having a mythic Indian setting, he basically does nothing that isn't a rehash of what's come before.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Guilty Spork posted:

Mostly, Pundit is just actively hostile to innovation (after a certain cutoff date to allow stuff like Amber in), and apart from one of his D&D clones having a mythic Indian setting, he basically does nothing that isn't a rehash of what's come before.

This is why my general tack with him is to remind him of these things, and in the face of all this "swine" this and "pseudo-activist" that, I pretty much refer to his "design" as cargo cult game design, with him in the place of a pseudo-designer. It's shut him up* pretty well a few times now.

*reduced him to even more incoherently enraged gibbering.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Wasn't Arrows of Indra just a vague Indian-ish setting forced tortuously to fit into old D&D cliches?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Guilty Spork posted:

Legally as long as you don't plagiarize the actual wording or trade dress or whatever, you can totally copy game rules, which is why OSRIC and that clone of the old TSR Marvel game are able to exist.

Well, OSRIC and most early retroclones are OGL games.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darwinism posted:

Wasn't Arrows of Indra just a vague Indian-ish setting forced tortuously to fit into old D&D cliches?

from what i recall yes

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Darwinism posted:

But it had a TRANNY on the front and was therefore totally PROGRESSIVE

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is that a thing that was actually said in some form :stare:

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Guilty Spork posted:

"Ugh. These Oriental Adventures are a little too oriental... I know, I can nudge them just so toward the Occident and..."

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Clearly his diluted pseudo-India setting is a meta commentary on the present and historical entitlement white men have felt to pillage and harvest all the interesting doo-dads from cultures they've domineered and put them on display with no understanding or respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Tollymain posted:

is that a thing that was actually said in some form :stare:

I don't think he ever slurred it like that but yes. Yes he did. It was his reason why he's totally not transphobic guise.

• Locked thread