Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arstan
May 30, 2012

Thanks Cinco
I like Erin's D&D stylings and thought everyone fawning over Dana Carvey's impressions was dull as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Arstan posted:

I like Erin's D&D stylings and thought everyone fawning over Dana Carvey's impressions was dull as hell.

Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt this way. I like Dana and all but all he was doing was talking in funny voices. They acted like he had split the atom on stage.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Honestly I got the feeling he was surprised as well. Dan really idolizes Dana to a huge degree.

I'm being too harsh. Dan and Erin were too drunk to meet someone they admire and not embarrass themselves.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 8, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
At least they didn't drag out the Tenacious D appearance.

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I take that back I like Jeff.

Jeff is the only guy on the show I wouldn't be embarrassed to associate with.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

What about kumail? I love that dude in almost everything he does and he seems pretty nice.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Erin just needs to chill out. I try to like her, but then there are moments where you can tell everyone is just waiting for her to finish whatever it is she is doing that won't pay off.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I've probably re-listened to Spencer's impression of Greg Proops like ten times now.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

CPColin posted:

I've probably re-listened to Spencer's impression of Greg Proops like ten times now.

When was that and from which episode?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

TontoCorazon posted:

What about kumail? I love that dude in almost everything he does and he seems pretty nice.

Yeah, but then he talks about being rude to people who try to talk to him at the airport and reminds me of the guy at the party you have to explain to people.

"Oh, that's just Kumail. He doesn't like talking to people, but he's a really nice guy if you get to know him."

Its just not worth the effort.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Unmature posted:

When was that and from which episode?

It's in http://harmontown.com/podcast/109, starting around 1:55:30.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

CPColin posted:

It's in http://harmontown.com/podcast/109, starting around 1:55:30.

Thanks! I musta missed this or stopped listening or something.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, but then he talks about being rude to people who try to talk to him at the airport and reminds me of the guy at the party you have to explain to people.

"Oh, that's just Kumail. He doesn't like talking to people, but he's a really nice guy if you get to know him."

Get outta here Jeff

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Kumail is a great guy for podcasts but he's not someone anyone should want to meet socially. Because he doesn't want to meet you. I'm as incredulous as Jeff is whenever that topic comes up.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Not wanting to talk to a stranger on an airplane is a pretty common thing. Kumail's nice and normal and Jeff's a weirdo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0KFY6o6unw

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Man it's not just airplanes come on listen to the podcast.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

It wasn't? I don't wanna dig through the whole hour again but the anecdote he was talking about was some old lady at an airport, right? Regardless, Jeff trying to get all into people's business is super not the norm. Kumail doesn't have to talk to people if he doesn't want to. I mean he doesn't have to be rude either but leave the guy alone.

edit: Jesus Christ now that I think about it Jeff was the one who suggested Kumail tell people to shut the gently caress up. What world does he live in.

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Aug 9, 2014

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
I'm pretty sure Kumail said something like "I've literally never initiated a conversation with a stranger".

And I nodded.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Why in the poo poo would anyone wanna talk to a stranger?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
To meet interesting people, hear interesting stories and potentially expand your circle of friends and acquaintances.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Nah.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Taking to non service people strangers is weird. I've only done or when we are all there for a common pretty defining reason, like at university when I entry to an event for computer scientists. I should now travel does not count, cause travel is... I dunno but travel is weird/strange/necessary enough for everyone why would I want to interact with them when I just want to get somewhere.

Wisenheimer
Jul 11, 2001
Kumail addressed the not talking to strangers thing when it first came up here.

kumailnanjiani posted:

I'm gonna get ahead of everybody on here jumping on me for saying talking to strangers is weird: it was a comedy stance I took because I thought it would be funny to counteract Jeff's rabid friendliness with strangers. Of course I don't ignore people. But he goes out of his way to talk to people he doesn't know, and, since comedy is about conflict, I chose to embody the exact opposite viewpoint. I figured the tension would be funny, and I believe it was. I'm a comedian and I try and create comedic scenarios when I'm on stage. If you really think I'm that unfriendly, you clearly don't know me. If you notice, Jeff said the same exact thing. "But you seem so gregarious" or something to that effect. Me taking the opposite viewpoint gave us something to talk about. People agreeing with each other is not comedy. It's boring.

Ok, you guys can go back to personally attacking me now.

edit: another example of me taking a comedic point of view would be the "game recognize game" thing. It is obviously a stupid phrase. But it's funny if I'm there saying I think it's awesome and that it's vitally important to me that I work it into conversation. Dan & Jeff obviously take their cue and realize what their comedic POV should be: that it's a dumb phrase that makes no sense and it's dumb of me to think so highly of it. Do I back down? No. Why? Stakes. The stakes are that I really NEED that phrase to be cool, because then saying it will make me cool. I set myself up to me the whipping boy in that comedic bit. So I'm just saying there's a lot going on on stage that leads to a fun show. Everyone on stage is constantly looking out for bits, and then realizing what the game of the bits should be. Am I against this argument? Am I for it? Not only does it make for a funnier show, it makes for a more interesting conversation.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Anyone who seriously thought Kumail sat and stared straight ahead and ignored people when they spoke to him is being very dopey, almost as dopey as him feeling like he had to explain the bit and apologize for it. The guy's a working actor, comedian, and television personality, plus a fairly well acknowledged Nice Guy, not Richard Kuklinski.

e: Also, he didn't think Beef Fungus Bill was trying to poison everyone in the theater, in case you were confused.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Aug 11, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Alright, Kumail's back on my friends list. When he's not wearing a video game themed t-shirt, that is..

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Aug 11, 2014

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

Alright, Kumail's back on my friends list. When he's not wearing a video game themed t-shirt, that is..

Yeah, No one's gonna go put of their way to change your mind on that one.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Latest episode: http://www.castmate.fm:8080/h/a/r/harmontownpodcast/HARMONTOWN%20111%20MAIN.mp3

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Yeah I take back what I said about Kumail. I knew it was unlikely but it was really fun picturing such a successful comedian refusing to talk to anyone. Plus the guy has an X-files podcast, he get's no benefit of the doubt.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I'd coincidentally just listened yesterday to the Harmontown where Bobcat and Robin Williams dropped in while Robin was there buying comics. It was such a fun, silly appearance. Next week's show is gonna be a bummer. I know McGathy in particular was very, very fond of him. It's not like the worst thing to come from someone's death is a downer episode of my favorite podcast, but Dan really gets to me when he starts going down that rabbit hole of sadness. It's so silly, but I bet Dan's gonna beat himself up over all the times he made fun of him. He doesn't deserve to, but the big goof's a sensitive guy like that.

I feel awfully for Robin's family, and for Bobcat. I had no idea they were so close until I heard him talk about Robin on Harmontown. So sad. :(

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
I hope the next episode has 30 minutes of Dan talking about how much Good Will Hunting sucks.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I hope they point out how Robin Williams stole Erin's D&D bit.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

I hope they point out how Robin Williams stole Erin's D&D bit.

Edit: never mind. Good one.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
112 - Popeye Is Our Lord And Savior

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Dan, I "let it sink in," and I still don't understand #Didn'tTellRobin.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love

Brocktoon posted:

Dan, I "let it sink in," and I still don't understand #Didn'tTellRobin.

Be sure to tell people how much you appreciate them, because you never know when it might suddenly no longer be an option.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Davedave24 posted:

Be sure to tell people how much you appreciate them, because you never know when it might suddenly no longer be an option.

Also it sort of suggests that the guy who tweeted that thinks that Dan might be suicidal.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

"That's Adam Goldberg, he's God's offensive gesture. He's the human middle finger."
(Sorry Adam but that was hilarious.)

Great episode imho

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
"When there's a riot, side with the rioters."
-Dan Harmon, from his gated compound in the Hollywood Hills

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

"When there's a riot, side with the rioters."
-Dan Harmon, from his gated compound in the Hollywood Hills

MAN, that's a dumb opinion. "How DARE an influential person with the platform to broadcast to lots of people have an opinion about a place in which he does not currently live."

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Its more an issue of a wealthy individual three steps removed from the problems of the lower classes preaching anarchy as if anarchy has benefited anyone ever. The riots have shut down businesses, schools and services--vital things for the people living in Ferguson. And here we have some loving loudmouth bemoaning his inability to afford a Tesla telling people to keep it up. Dan is 100% in the wrong about this and hearing him preach anarchy to people who just want to live their lives makes my blood boil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Irish Joe posted:

Its more an issue of a wealthy individual three steps removed from the problems of the lower classes preaching anarchy as if anarchy has benefited anyone ever. The riots have shut down businesses, schools and services--vital things for the people living in Ferguson. And here we have some loving loudmouth bemoaning his inability to afford a Tesla telling people to keep it up. Dan is 100% in the wrong about this and hearing him preach anarchy to people who just want to live their lives makes my blood boil.

Harmontown is a moon colony where there is zero hierarchy. People take out the trash, clean bathrooms, and maintain the oxygen systems on a regular schedule of when they feel like it, but there is zero accountability or oversight.

"Who the gently caress cares what Dan Harmon thinks? He hardly ever bathes and he lives in a Mansion with his 24 year old girlfriend" - Dan Harmon