Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'm seeing an entirely new side to Fantasy Football. I always assumed it was, y'know, D&D for your jersey-sporting uncle, but if it's big enough to be actually griefable then I may have a new purpose in life.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'm seeing an entirely new side to Fantasy Football. I always assumed it was, y'know, D&D for your jersey-sporting uncle, but if it's big enough to be actually griefable then I may have a new purpose in life.

It is still D&D for your jersey-sporting uncle

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Just knowing that these people fake draft for their fake football is almost good enough. That's the dumbest poo poo ever.

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Without even trying I destroyed a FF league because I did not want to have Michael Vick on my FF team. At the start of the season in 2006 he was part of my draft, and I dropped him because I did not want him to spread Herpes to the rest of my team. I did that as a joke, but he got scooped up in 3 seconds by another person in the league.

I also dropped players whose names I did not like, and again, they got scooped up. I was aiming to have the worst team in the league, and used the pic of that giant black guy eating a giant hamburger as my team logo.

It fell to pieces after that, and the person who ran the league banned me because I broke the entire season.

FF is serious business and can be griefed as I found even unintentionally.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
There are a lot of fantasy sports leagues require you to put in money for prizes to be awarded at the end of the season, so it attracts a lot of armchair quarterbacks/degenerate gamblers who get way too into it. I dig actual sports, but serious fantasy sports guys tend to be really off-putting.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

It is still D&D for your jersey-sporting uncle

Part of the problem might be underestimating the size of the jersey-sporting-uncle demographic.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Sammus posted:

Isn't that what the whole "Hulkageddon" event was/is? I've never played EVE, but it's my understanding that at some point goons put a large bounty on some sort of large, expensive freighters that pubbies love. Lots of freighters get blown up, some people get rich shooting things, and lots of pubbies cry. On top of getting their ships destroyed, goons have a monopoly over the supply of a mineral that is required to produce the freighters and they actually make a profit while paying out bounties because people have to pay goons to replace their ships.

It was Exhumers (a type of mining ship), and not freighters, but you're otherwise dead on. Eve Goons had formed a cartel with other entities in-game to control the supply of Technetium, which was used in ample amounts in basically every end-game vessel in the game. Not only were we killing ships, but we were making a significant profit whenever anyone replaced the ship we had killed.

e: And for the sake of including more content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYB12TepL4A&t=340s

In case the link doesn't work, skip to 5m 40s. A group of pirates have set up a blockade on a warp gate (an endpoint for significant FTL travel). A would-be griefer decides that he'll attempt to grief the pirates; he fits a cloaking device to a ship and camps the scene of the blockade, streaming the blockade in real-time on Twitch. The pirates use the live stream to roughly triangulate where the streamer is, and then warps in a smartbombing battleship; this works something like a depth charge, indiscriminately damaging everything in a certain radius. They end up being precise enough that the smartbombs not only instantly crush his cloaked ship, but destroy his escape pod as well, forcing him to respawn back at the station. The last thing you hear from the stream is "loving bastards."

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Aug 8, 2014

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

For those who don't know what an Exhumer is, it's a mining vessel. EVE Online pubbies love shooting space rocks

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
They especially love doing it AFK in Exhumers that are fit to mine as quickly as possible and have absolutely no tanking modules equipped, making them about as sturdy as a tissue paper space ship

taels
Oct 19, 2012

K:CID:X
I played wwii online for a decade.

A professor at a tech school In Colorado gave a video lecture that devoted some 25 minutes to the story of our epic 6 month grief in Jessie. Unfortunately I can't find the video since I formatted. Figured this was the best spot

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

There's a free game on Steam right now called Robocraft, it's kind of like World of Tanks without an RNG for your shots and it's actually fun, and you can build your tanks from the ground up too I guess. What I've been doing is, instead of building a big cube with every gun in the whole world on it, like most people, I've been building really long, really tall walls with the best armor I can grab and 1 tiny gun. The grief is three-fold:

-I'm driving in front of friendly players and completely blocking them from shooting at enemies. I can usually block off two or three people at a time in chokepoints. While this is also protecting them, the collision physics are really weird so it's also preventing them from moving around too much so that's the trade-off. I've flipped several people so far and they just lay there helplessly.

-I'm dead weight to the team as I have almost no capacity for offense.

-The tier system is primarily determined by guns, so my lack of shooteyness lets me make the biggest, dumbest walls I can while still being able to stay in the bracket that has the least chance of dismantling my griefmobile.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

taels posted:

A professor at a tech school In Colorado gave a video lecture that devoted some 25 minutes to the story of our epic 6 month grief in Jessie. Unfortunately I can't find the video since I formatted. Figured this was the best spot

Thanks for letting us know you griefed some dudes some time. I'm sure it was sweet as hell. Maybe one day we'll get to hear about it.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

taels posted:

Oh come on, you don't just say you pulled off a 6-month grief and not explain it.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

DreamShipWrecked posted:

If you ever need any inspiration just watch The League (now on Netflix) and do everything the character "Taco" does.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Enallyniv posted:

Oh come on, you don't just say you pulled off a 6-month grief and not explain it.

Maybe that post was the start of his 6 month grief on this thread.

Unstoppabro
Jan 2, 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

There's a free game on Steam right now called Robocraft, it's kind of like World of Tanks without an RNG for your shots and it's actually fun, and you can build your tanks from the ground up too I guess. What I've been doing is, instead of building a big cube with every gun in the whole world on it, like most people, I've been building really long, really tall walls with the best armor I can grab and 1 tiny gun.

Could you post a screenshot of your griefmobile? I tried making one but it keeps tipping over.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I've been griefing my mother and father for roughly 26 years so far. Maybe I can find the home videos and such to show you guys.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Unstoppabro posted:

Could you post a screenshot of your griefmobile? I tried making one but it keeps tipping over.

Just increase the size of the base. Make a cross with wheels under it. Also, as you level up, you gain the ability to add more parts to your robot, so your grief wall can get progressively bigger.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah that's basically it. I'll post a picture if I remember to when I get home tonight. Also remember to make it bottom heavy.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah that's basically it. I'll post a picture if I remember to when I get home tonight. Also remember to make it bottom heavy.

Honestly you're missing a trick here, I'd make it a giant Christianity or Islam symbol.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Cryohazard posted:

Honestly you're missing a trick here, I'd make it a giant Christianity or Islam symbol.

Have one star and crescent face off against a Star of David, neither side doing anything useful but blocking their own team.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Kazinsal posted:

Have one star and crescent face off against a Star of David, neither side doing anything useful but blocking their own team.

This will just get you banned. Devs decided no religious symbols are allowed.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Cryohazard posted:

Eh, make it a giant Bitcoin billboard.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ron Paul billboard would be kind of retro at this point but still awesome

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Downloading it now in hopes of making robodickbutt.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Dramicus posted:

That's alright, it's f2p. Just churn out a new account every time you get banned. Pretty sure accounts aren't linked to Steam since there's a register button on the game's website.

Hmm. I wonder if you could do goatse...

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Buried alive posted:

Part of the problem might be underestimating the size of the jersey-sporting-uncle demographic.

At least 300 pounds?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Kazinsal posted:

That's alright, it's f2p. Just churn out a new account every time you get banned. Pretty sure accounts aren't linked to Steam since there's a register button on the game's website.

Hmm. I wonder if you could do goatse...

I don't know if the steam version is linked to your steam account, but if you want to make sure, you can download an independent client from the developer's website.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
Robocraft stuff:

I'm pretty bad at this game. I'm really, really bad at it. I'm bad at building stuff, I barely know how to use the building tool, and the tech tree is just barely understandable to me. But it's still fun to build poo poo.

Anyway, to help my teammates out I developed the most educational vehicle I could come up with after 2 beers:

The only weapon on RoboBus is a single gun that takes the place of the STOP sign on a normal short bus. The vertical fins on each side are vehicle stabilizers, which come in handy about 5 times per map. This is not a graceful vehicle.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Lonjon posted:

Robocraft stuff:

Oh wait from the description before I didn't realize this was basically Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts. Huh. Maybe I should look into this.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Lonjon posted:

Robocraft stuff:

I'm pretty bad at this game. I'm really, really bad at it. I'm bad at building stuff, I barely know how to use the building tool, and the tech tree is just barely understandable to me. But it's still fun to build poo poo.

Anyway, to help my teammates out I developed the most educational vehicle I could come up with after 2 beers:

The only weapon on RoboBus is a single gun that takes the place of the STOP sign on a normal short bus. The vertical fins on each side are vehicle stabilizers, which come in handy about 5 times per map. This is not a graceful vehicle.

Please change your in-game name to MS FRIZZLE

taels
Oct 19, 2012

K:CID:X

Enallyniv posted:

http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2003/07/war_of_the_jess.html

http://alphavilleherald.com/2004/09/essay_a_history.html

Yadda yadda

We hat robots, the reichstag, a furry holocausts and some huge hitler

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
This is why you should be careful about private tournaments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EE7pBoPejE

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dramicus posted:

I was running around with this for awhile (the end got shot off earlier). Less of a grief and more me being age 5 though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I take it the "K" was shot off? :v:

Also, you should put it backwards, so the people you're shooting at can read it properly while you shoot them. Unless that is a front view, in which case, carry on.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Thumbtacks posted:

This is why you should be careful about private tournaments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EE7pBoPejE

Want to point out the dude doing this griefing uploaded a video of him destroying a Purple Heart he bought just to be a dick.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What does a purple heart do?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If you're joking, I don't get it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_heart

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

RatHat posted:

Want to point out the dude doing this griefing uploaded a video of him destroying a Purple Heart he bought just to be a dick.

I thought Purple hearts had to be awarded to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I thought you meant some video game thing.

• Locked thread