Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

bef posted:

I bought a pro controller from that best buy deal so I shouldn't have a reason to get a Wiimote

I didn't own a wii last gen so I don't see the point of getting one until now

Yeah, I still have a bunch lying around from my Wii. Need them for BC still!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Just get one of those crazy Wii Classic Controller / Wiimote controllers that look kinda like SNES-style controllers.

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Controller-Wii-Nintendo-U-6304900/dp/B009O3WU2A/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_16

There, 30 bucks. It's a Wii classic controller-style controller that is its own Wiimote. It's nutso and rad.

EDIT - Also not... exactly the BEST quality controller. But it's an interesting niche and looks cool.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bef posted:

I didn't own a wii last gen so I don't see the point of getting one until now

You have access to huge library of games that you haven't played, and you don't want to get the controller that will let you play them?

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Random Stranger posted:

You have access to huge library of games that you haven't played, and you don't want to get the controller that will let you play them?

My little brother has a wii and we played almost every first party title that came out soo :shrug:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Dunban posted:

Good luck with Champion's Road

I cheated and watched a video of it, and yeah, that looks somewhat brutal. I made that post when I had just gotten into the extra worlds, which is precisely when the game takes the concept of a gradual difficulty slope and throws it out the window. I was also pretty bummed to find out that to really 100% the game, you have to beat every level with each of the 5 characters. That's just tedious. Then again, if all of the levels have been completed, it probably doesn't take long at all to just plow through all of them. Boss Blitz with Peach is probably going to suck. A lot of the levels played as anyone other than Peach is probably going to suck.

I'll at least go for all the stars, golden flags, and stamps (from levels, anyway.) I'm starting to get the feeling that I have to do that anyway to unlock Champion's Road.

enojy fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 8, 2014

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It's not worth it to clear each level 5 times. All you get is a stamp for each character you clear all courses with.

Just reach World Crown and beat those courses and call it a day, because that's enough of an achievement.

e: Also yeah good luck with Champion's Road, I think it's the toughest Mario level ever. Much harder than The Perfect Run or S8-Crown anyway.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Since the topic is at hand. I inquired about getting those 3rd party Classic Pro knockoffs off eBay a while back in one of these threads, I never got around to it and just found some legitimate ones on eBay the other week for roughly $20 per controller so I got a couple. I've never seen a Classic Pro before so I was very impressed with the quality, I just really really wish I could remap buttons. I got these primarily for Smash 64, and the regular attack / special attack buttons are switched. I also regularly have trouble double-tapping the analog stick to dash. I'm sure it's definitely just a "feel" thing that I'll get used to eventually though. It really is a nice controller, just very different from the N64 controller I was using earlier this week. I'm very glad I decided to hold out. I got a Wii at launch but never got N64 games on it so I'm very timely to be excited about this.

Now that I've gone out of my way, mark my words. Nintendo will launch N64 Wii U VC support next month. That's what usually happens when I get off my rear end and buy something like this.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

enojy posted:

I was also pretty bummed to find out that to really 100% the game, you have to beat every level with each of the 5 characters. That's just tedious.

Well you can cheese it pretty easily if you have some spare controllers: just join the game with everyone while you stand around the flagpole, then hit the pole and you've "beat" the level with each character present. Takes it down from 5 to 2 runs per level. Or, for less cheese, play with friends.

quote:

Then again, if all of the levels have been completed, it probably doesn't take long at all to just plow through all of them.

I'm in the middle of it right now. It's a nice return to the game; I'd finally beaten Champion's Road a few months ago and swore off the game for some time, having no desire to dive back in and finish it up. Watching this excellent LP made me want to play it again, and it made sense to work towards the last stamps in the process.

quote:

I'll at least go for all the stars, golden flags, and stamps (from levels, anyway.) I'm starting to get the feeling that I have to do that anyway to unlock Champion's Road.

Trust that feeling!

RyokoTK posted:

It's not worth it to clear each level 5 times. All you get is a stamp for each character you clear all courses with.

And a fifth shiny star on your file. (Not saying that makes it worthwhile, but let's be clear of all the "benefits"!)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

It's such a bummer when you don't get anything for 100%ing a game, like getting all stars in Yoshi's Island...

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
You get 100% which is your most favorite thing ever

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
You also get a baby rash because you haven't gone outside all day.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Crossposting here:
Adventure Mode's Trailer (It's just the intro we saw with new music)

Full costume trailer for Ganondorf (Get it via Club Nintendo!)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Here's some new footage of Bayo 2

(Unless I'm mistaken)

The wonder toys :allears:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

(Unless I'm mistaken)

I was trying to figure out why that guy (or anyone, really) would have mounted artwork of Raving Rabbids, when my eyes fixated on the picture of the badminton-playing rabbid lifting its skirt to scratch its rear end. Come on dude. I've got no shame in admitting that I have video game artwork hanging in my place too, but none of it contains female anthropomorphic rabbit rear end.

And I knew that Bayonetta was satirically sexualized, but that's about all I knew of the game... a lot of the stuff in this video seems like way too much for a game exclusive to a Nintendo console.

edit: vvvvv nah, Game & Wario is almost nothing like the WarioWare stuff. It reeks of "launch title tech demo" for the Gamepad. It's kind of like Nintendo Land with a fraction of the charm and attention to detail. If you have a 3DS and like platformers, Donkey Kong is probably your best bet, but you'll need to have your own larger SD card in the 3DS because it's huge. Otherwise, NES Remix and Earthbound are good choices.

enojy fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 8, 2014

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What would people recommend using the Club Nintendo Platinum gift for? Is Game and Wario any good? I really enjoyed the Warioware stuff, is it anything like that?

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Oxyclean posted:

What would people recommend using the Club Nintendo Platinum gift for? Is Game and Wario any good? I really enjoyed the Warioware stuff, is it anything like that?

Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Otherwise, Earthbound.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

Oxyclean posted:

It's a collection of mini-games, not the fast-paced microgames from WarioWare. And those mini-games tend to be lower-quality than Nintendoland's - some are nice, but a lot of it feels like tech demos. However, it features the same characters and weird/surreal humor as WarioWare, so there's that plus.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

(Unless I'm mistaken)

What are you saying man in Link shirt I don't speak German dammit.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Oxyclean posted:

Not as good as the WarioWare games but there's still some games in it that are pretty fun. One of the best games is playing WarioWare style micro games with a twist. There's also a lot of crazy weird unlockables. Game & Wario is also good choice because you'll also get a lot of points towards the Digital Deluxe Promotion.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 8, 2014

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You should just get Game and Wario and then buy Earthbound for $5.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Oxyclean posted:

It's a really good digital version of Pictionary if you've got local buddies to play with.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Game and Wario owns if you have friends. If you don't, however, its prolly because you're unlikable.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

enojy posted:

And I knew that Bayonetta was satirically sexualized, but that's about all I knew of the game... a lot of the stuff in this video seems like way too much for a game exclusive to a Nintendo console.

That's typical Bayonetta though, similar poo poo can be seen in the original.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

You should just get NES Remix and then buy Earthbound for $5.

Fixed that for ya.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

I've said it before but the thief game in Game&Wario is one of the greatest multiplayer games ever. Its really sad that its premise will probably never be used in another game.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Surlaw posted:

It's a really good digital version of Pictionary if you've got local buddies to play with.

The Fronk and Fruit games own hard too. Tippy Tower on the Fronk game is the best once you put a house rule on it that makes the fucker that tips the tower suck down a sizable amount of alcohol.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Famous TV Dad posted:

I've said it before but the thief game in Game&Wario is one of the greatest multiplayer games ever. Its really sad that its premise will probably never be used in another game.
There's a bunch of games that are similar, Spy Party, Hidden in Plain Sight, the multiplayer stuff in Assassin's Creed.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Famous TV Dad posted:

Isn't it kind of like spy party? But yeah that game looks hilarious. Wish I had my Wii U when I redeemed my plat reward cause I'm gonna end up buy wario down the line anyway now.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Black Ops 2 for the Wii U apparently just got a multiplayer map that everyone else got 2 years ago. It's the Nuketown map.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Fremry posted:

Black Ops 2 for the Wii U apparently just got a multiplayer map that everyone else got 2 years ago. It's the Nuketown map.
I don't even play CoD yet even I remember hearing about that. :frog:

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Fremry posted:

Fixed that for ya.

Except getting Game & Wario would give you enough DDP points for $5, allowing you to slash Earthbound's price in half.

NES Remix won't get you enough points for that.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Except getting Game & Wario would give you enough DDP points for $5, allowing you to slash Earthbound's price in half.

NES Remix won't get you enough points for that.

NES Remix 1 and 2, Pushmo World and Shovel Knight would, tho.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Inverness posted:

I don't even play CoD yet even I remember hearing about that. :frog:

It's a great map and takes advantage of CODs strengths.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Fremry posted:

As one of the few people to talk about that game in this thread, I'm excited. Really shocked it got more content so late, but better late than never. If the Wii U version of Mass Effect 3 had all the DLC, I'd of grabbed that by now. Hopefully this means third party games on Wii U won't miss as much content now.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
What it probably means is that they've had it lying around for ages and forgot to upload it, or that someone at one of their hundred COD factories cranked out a conversion on his lunch break.

Come to think of it, what the hell happened to Watchdogs Wii U? I can't imagine anyone cares at this point, but still, is it officially cancelled?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

NES Remix 1 and 2, Pushmo World and Shovel Knight would, tho.

And that's like $60 for all that. At that point just buy Earthbound for the $10.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Come to think of it, what the hell happened to Watchdogs Wii U? I can't imagine anyone cares at this point, but still, is it officially cancelled?

Probably. As such, much like Aliens: Colonial Marines, that makes the Wii U version the best version.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Mercury Crusader posted:

Probably. As such, much like Aliens: Colonial Marines, that makes the Wii U version the best version.

Yeah Watchdogs is aggressively mediocre at best. I liked all the worry about the WiiU not being able to run it once it was released yet they downgraded the graphics so much it was missing visual flare that loving GTA 4 had by the time it came out

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

RMZXAnarchy posted:

And that's like $60 for all that. At that point just buy Earthbound for the $10.

That sounds too complicated, the guy should probably buy those games and Mario 3D World and get Earthbound for free. You gotta spend money to make money!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

What are the sales usually like on the eShop? Im interested in NESRemix2 but $16.50 just seems like a bit much (yes I know it owns). Maybe im being too stingy?

• Locked thread