Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I ended up going to Jo-Ann fabric and buying a yard of thin black fabric full of multi-colored glitter, then cutting it to a 3x3 shape. It folds up pretty well to fit in my carrying case, and looks pretty awesome on a table. I think I paid, like, five dollars for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

One chunk of 6mm MDF from homebase / B&Q - £10'ish?
Tester pot of Matt black paint - £2
Small pot of water based satin varnish - £3
Roll of black duct tape - £4

A decent gaming surface for less than £20, bargain! Prices are rough estimates based off what I paid a few months back, might be a bit off here or there :)

Obviously less transportable than a matt... but eh... I prefer a solid surface and mats bug the crap out of me.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What's a cool thing to paint on a falcon? If I was a good artist I'd replicate the Sistine chapel on it but I'm not soooo

Spamius
Mar 17, 2009

Lungboy posted:

I'm probably being retarded, but what option did you choose? The only vinyl I can see is on their banner page, which doesn't seem to do 3x3 or 4x3. Will they do custom sizes if I ask?

use the Instant Banner Printing Quote option on main page - select PVC Banner, Custom Size, then you get drop downs for height and width.

Strobe posted:

I actually prefer felt mats. Unless you weigh down your ship templates with washers or sticky matting like you use in your kitchen cupboards the plastic really tends to slide around and make accurate maneuvers a pain in the rear end, and bumping even more so. Sometimes even worse than using a regular table surface. Felt mats snag edges every once in a while, but I consider that minor annoyance well worth being able to play the game without resorting to essentially guesswork.

Ideally I'd like to get one of those neoprene mouse mat style gaming mats, but for the amount I play x-wing I couldn't justify spending extra - the PVC banner isn't the best surface to play on, but it's really no worse than my table and it was cheap and almost zero effort.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Chill la Chill posted:

What's a cool thing to paint on a falcon? If I was a good artist I'd replicate the Sistine chapel on it but I'm not soooo

A blue engine glow.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Well ya but the top of the model needs something interesting. I'm thinking of using it for a painting competition. If I was a pro I'd put the Sistine chapel on it but I'm not. It might look cool with some cubist art using the square panels but I'm looking for ideas

E: holy poo poo maybe the center as a Death Star and the surrounding area as a pleasant countryside with a nearby city on Alderaan

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 7, 2014

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.

Chill la Chill posted:

Well ya but the top of the model needs something interesting. I'm thinking of using it for a painting competition. If I was a pro I'd put the Sistine chapel on it but I'm not. It might look cool with some cubist art using the square panels but I'm looking for ideas

E: holy poo poo maybe the center as a Death Star and the surrounding area as a pleasant countryside with a nearby city on Alderaan

That is way more crazy complex painting than I imagine a smuggler dude who would own a YT-1300 would spring for, but it sounds cool in theory.

On a somewhat related note, I've been running Chewie with Predator, Corran with VI, Advanced Sensors, and R2-D2, and a Bandit together and doing really well. Pew pew!

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Spamius posted:

use the Instant Banner Printing Quote option on main page - select PVC Banner, Custom Size, then you get drop downs for height and width.

Ideally I'd like to get one of those neoprene mouse mat style gaming mats, but for the amount I play x-wing I couldn't justify spending extra - the PVC banner isn't the best surface to play on, but it's really no worse than my table and it was cheap and almost zero effort.

I was indeed being retarded, didn't notice the custom size option. £20 for 3x4 or £26 for 4x4 seems pretty reasonable. The mat suits me better than a painted board due to having bugger all space. At least the vinyl banner will roll up and be easier to store.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

smashthedean posted:

That is way more crazy complex painting than I imagine a smuggler dude who would own a YT-1300 would spring for, but it sounds cool in theory.

Basically anything that would look :krad: airbrushed onto the side of a 1970s van could go on a YT.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Madurai posted:

Basically anything that would look :krad: airbrushed onto the side of a 1970s van could go on a YT.
So wizards is the answer?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Tekopo posted:

So wizards is the answer?

Or the Dark Side of the Moon cover. Hey, the ship has two sides, after all.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

This is what I finished last night. I started with the standard blending technique at the edge of panels but realized I'll need to do more full saturation and hue transitions to emulate real cubist styles.

Right now I plan to do a central Death Star shooting forwards into the world, at the periphery, with the start of an explosion at the front prongs. It's a weird perspective but I think it'll work with cubist style. If the laser looks like it's too distracting I could make it look like it's just in the center surrounded by blue skies and the world on the periphery. Sort of a fishbowl look.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Wait, SAY AGAIN?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Yeah, you get an action in exchange for a stress when you bump. With Oicunn it's pretty alright, but with anyone else it's of questionable utility because stress on big ships isn't great (that turret might help though).

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
With Mara Jade though, that could be nasty. Just have a Decimator that just rushes right in, blocking, stressing, and potentially damaging ships. Add Anti-Pusuit Lasers if you think your meta will have lots of high PS ships, maybe.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Man they are goin' all out with the training wheels for Babby's First Imperial Turret :smuggo:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

alg posted:

Man they are goin' all out with the training wheels for Babby's First Imperial Turret :smuggo:

Says the faction with Dash "Asteroids are Haaaaard" Rendar. :colbert:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

The Gate posted:

Sounds like this scruffy nerfherder is a little jealous that the Empire don't have any Dash-ing smugglers working for them. :smug:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I love it. It's like a giant space shark.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

alg posted:

:vince:

The Gate posted:

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure there'll be another Decimator pilot with the pilot ability "If your base or movement template overlaps an obstacle, roll a damage die. On a hit result, remove that obstacle from play."

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

I'm kind of not a fan of encouraging the ship that's so much larger than its base they had to raise the price to run into other ships.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Honestly, though, I am pumped for the Decimator just to have a drat turret as Imps. I like the ramming flavor too, but I want to see points costs before I get too hyped about it. If the basic ones are sub-40 it has some serious potential I think.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I can't see them being edit: much under 40 given how undercosted the Firespray and Lambda already are. But what do I know, FFG always does crazy poo poo with ship costs.

alg fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 8, 2014

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Poopy Palpy posted:

I'm kind of not a fan of encouraging the ship that's so much larger than its base they had to raise the price to run into other ships.

If you're going to encourage ramming with anything, it might as well be the bigass ship.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I would love it if the ramming ship actually encouraged ramming with long white banks and straights but red 2-turns and no k-turns. Just imagine that thing going 5 straight. :allears:

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

What are some good 60 point lists to get started with the game? I have access to: 2xCore, X-wing, Tie Fighter, E-wing, Z-95, Imperial Aces, Slave 1. Mostly looking for something that'll be balanced on each side, or even unbalanced, just don't want to throw 2 lists together and then smash my wife because the list I gave her sucks.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Swagger Dagger posted:

If you're going to encourage ramming with anything, it might as well be the bigass ship.

If all we had to concern ourselves with was base to base contact, sure, but the way that it extends so far over its base means lots of messy model contact. It'll probably be a fair bit heavier than the YT-1300, which is already wobbly on two pegs, so adding more doesn't seem like a good idea. Adding more pegs to the ships it's ramming might not work if the Devastator is extending over their centers.

Might as well just pull the model off its base altogether, but then you just lay bare the fact that you're paying hundreds of dollars to play a game that reduces to a list of rules for moving squares around on a table.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Does anyone in the UK know of anywhere with the Falcon in stock? Element were supposed to get stock yesterday, but their supplier didn't get any from FFG. Google shopping is only showing out of stock places, as far as I can see.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Poopy Palpy posted:

Might as well just pull the model off its base altogether, but then you just lay bare the fact that you're paying hundreds of dollars to play a game that reduces to a list of rules for moving squares around on a table.

No real difference from most wargames really. A few like 40k do "from the model" line of sight so it encouraged weird modeling but in the end that's all war games are: moving around little squares.
I actually do this during pick up games and only play with the models during tournament play. It's such a hassle to pull everything out and it's actually more accurate with measuring and moving without the models in the way.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Lungboy posted:

Does anyone in the UK know of anywhere with the Falcon in stock? Element were supposed to get stock yesterday, but their supplier didn't get any from FFG. Google shopping is only showing out of stock places, as far as I can see.

drat, FFG website says reprint not until Q4 2014? http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_upcoming.asp
I thought there was a reprint coming out soon.

It's too bad, a nice part of X-Wing seemed to be that all ships were readily available at retail prices. That may not be possible as they spread production over the increased variety of ships.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I waited over a year from wave 2 release before I was able to find an Interceptor on a shelf. Keeping things in stock is not FFG's hallmark.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Truth. My local shop has been out of Y-Wings (since I bought both of them) for nearly five months, and Interceptors for nearly that long (I need more of both of those things).

It's also missing TIE Advanced, so I can use them for campaign play (because lolfucktournaments in an Advanced).

Caros
May 14, 2008

So apparently fleet combat is now a thing.

I figured we had this coming ever since X-wing has been so successful, but that doesn't prevent me from grinning like an idiot at the sight of it. I am a tiny bit sad that we aren't likely to see a super star destroyer due to the size of the models. It'd be about 20 times the length of the victory, putting it well outside the reasonable range of anything to put on a table.

Then again, FFG does like taking all of my money, so who knows.

Caros fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 8, 2014

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Victory Class Star Destroyers :stare:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Nice. I've wanted this type of game to be made by a competent company ever since that lovely StarShip Battles game by Wizards came out and sucked so hard.

Caros
May 14, 2008

zVxTeflon posted:

Nice. I've wanted this type of game to be made by a competent company ever since that lovely StarShip Battles game by Wizards came out and sucked so hard.

I always wondered how that game turned out. I suspected it was lovely but I was young and poor at the time.

Starter set on this looks pretty decent. Nine squadrons and three capital ships means that you have significantly more models and options out of the box than you did with base X-wing, and the objective set means that there will be options beyond 'shoot each other to death' included in the base game, which is appreciated.

Caros fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 8, 2014

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I really hope they keep that separate from X-Wing. Otherwise, kewl.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Man I'd never though I'd see a victory in any other games after the x-wing series fell on the wayside so I'm glad they are back. They have an ugly charm of their own.

Caros
May 14, 2008

alg posted:

I really hope they keep that separate from X-Wing. Otherwise, kewl.

They pretty much have to. A squadron of X-Wing's in this scale takes up less real world physical space than a single model from X-wing. The scale is completely different so I can't see any way they'd interact other than grognards doing some kind of weekend long narrative game where they play out each dogfight between squadrons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Just noticed they are unpainted too.

It's a cool game but I think I can finally pass on a FFG star wars game :negative:

• Locked thread