Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Sometimes you want to blur things out or keep out specifics because it ruins the fun of discovering things on your own! I have provided an image as an example:

Arkanomen posted:

Maybe AAA titles, but starbound is not a AAA game despite its budget. I'm more referring to the whole roadmap =/= stable release, missed deadlines and dev/audience interaction.

Good things take time man. Your mom slammed you out in 9 months and we all know how well that went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

He won't, even if everyone in this thread told him personally that they understand he is disappointed with starbound. He would just keep going.
I think he wants people to agree with him, because he keeps say "I don't think I'm off base here" over and over again. He's looking for closure I think, but he needs to accept that his opinion is his own and that he can't make anyone share it with him. Even if he stops for a while he will just return. The only way to solve a problem is to remove the source of the problem.

Basically, what I'm saying is that we need to cut his butt off.

Leadthumb fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 8, 2014

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Arkanomen posted:

Maybe AAA titles, but starbound is not a AAA game despite its budget. I'm more referring to the whole roadmap =/= stable release, missed deadlines and dev/audience interaction.

Well I hate to have more bad news for you but...

...most developers don't even have a stable release for the public until the game comes out (frequently not until some time after the game's out...or even ever), and they rarely communicate with their audience in any capacity other than press releases advertisements.

Ragequit posted:

Good things take time man. Your mom slammed you out in 9 months and we all know how well that went.

Stop talking about your mom's womb ensign.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

You should really just stop, even to people who may share your sentiment you sound like a child just out of high school going on about things he barely understands.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Ragequit posted:

Sometimes you want to blur things out or keep out specifics because it ruins the fun of discovering things on your own! I have provided an image as an example:

Good things require a clear plan which the flow chart is neither literally or figuratively. "Blurring things out for spoilers" is an idiotic reason to not show specifics of the development path. Company sensitive information or confidential information, sure. But how much is going to be spoiled that isn't wouldn't have been elaborated on in future dev posts or curious decomplies of the code anyway. I understand it's a halfhearted attempt at showing "hey we have a plan" but obscuring it to avoid Nitpickers and to cover your rear end. If this is the case then why have open development at all? I'm surprised no one is a little concerned.

You don't have to agree with me but it's pretty clear no one is interested in looking at the game and developer critically. Some pole are capable of having a conversation so I guess that's something.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Arkanomen posted:

Some pole are capable of having a conversation so I guess that's something.

I can't argue with that.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Arkanomen posted:

why have open development at all?

Good question.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Kly posted:

You should really just stop, even to people who may share your sentiment you sound like a child just out of high school going on about things he barely understands.

That's an introductory sentence. Did you have a point to make or just shooting from the hip?

Ernie Muppari posted:

Well I hate to have more bad news for you but...

...most developers don't even have a stable release for the public until the game comes out (frequently not until some time after the game's out...or even ever), and they rarely communicate with their audience in any capacity other than press releases advertisements.

That is true and is what make starbound a unique thing. Early access is new territory and should be open for criticism. Which, looking at the behavior of mods and members of communities for starbound, isn't really an option.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Arkanomen posted:

Good things require a clear plan which the flow chart is neither literally or figuratively. "Blurring things out for spoilers" is an idiotic reason to not show specifics of the development path. Company sensitive information or confidential information, sure. But how much is going to be spoiled that isn't wouldn't have been elaborated on in future dev posts or curious decomplies of the code anyway. I understand it's a halfhearted attempt at showing "hey we have a plan" but obscuring it to avoid Nitpickers and to cover your rear end. If this is the case then why have open development at all? I'm surprised no one is a little concerned.

I believe it wasn't blurred until people complained about spoilers, so I don't know what to tell you.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Arkanomen is so hilariously right on most points it's like he has a time machine to this exact conversation last year.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Arkanomen posted:

That is true and is what make starbound a unique thing. Early access is new territory and should be open for criticism. Which, looking at the behavior of mods and members of communities for starbound, isn't really an option.

Let's see if we can make it past go in a single post:

And the criticisms you want to level are...?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arkanomen posted:

Hey, it's not Chucklefish's fault that people didn't want to be spoiled and couldn't be arsed to just not look at it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ragequit posted:

I believe it wasn't blurred until people complained about spoilers, so I don't know what to tell you.
I could swear he's arguing that the game does not have a development roadmap because we can't see it. Like, because it was blurred for us, it doesn't exist in a way that can impact the developers.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

I could swear he's arguing that the game does not have a development roadmap because we can't see it. Like, because it was blurred for us, it doesn't exist in a way that can impact the developers.

Ah, he follows the Peek-A-Boo school of software development

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Well it could be faked, because game devs who have no intention of actually delivering a finished product totally put that much effort into it, they totally don't just go completely silent or anything.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The dev doc is trade secrets (at least until what's in it is implemented or cut) and they were probably trying to be polite about not revealing them.

Also have you personally asked for a refund, because maybe if you're going to take it this poorly you should be done with it. I suppose your other options are to consult a lawyer or grow up and maybe not donate to game companies in the future.

In the mean time, let's hear about your project management experience. Discussion of memorable projects or capstone theses would be far more productive than you complaining about how you can't be patient enough to take your own advice about a game from which you've probably already gotten more than your money's worth.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Party Plane Jones posted:

Arkanomen is so hilariously right on most points it's like he has a time machine to this exact conversation last year.

It's almost like I've been following development since the beginning.

Ernie Muppari posted:

Let's see if we can make it past go in a single post:

And the criticisms you want to level are...?

I think I've spammed enough of them around the thread and my opinions are not unique. The first stable release was not as advertised nor were missing features ever implemented. "Thick and fast updates". Stanley Woo level forums moderation. Token transparency of development. Dismissal of criticism as entitlement. I could go on but it's pretty obvious.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Arkanomen posted:

That's an introductory sentence. Did you have a point to make...

Yes, that you should stop posting about this. I thought i made that point clear when i said "you should stop posting" and "because you sound like some one with an incredibly small amount of life experience."
Sorry you think you need an entire essay to make a simple point, ill let you get back to posting paragraphs of the same vague poo poo ten times in an hour without making a succinct point though.

Kly fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 8, 2014

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Arkanomen posted:

I think I've spammed enough of them around the thread and my opinions are not unique.

Yes, they are. Look around you.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Arkanomen posted:

I think I've spammed enough of them around the thread and my opinions are not unique. The first stable release was not as advertised nor were missing features ever implemented. "Thick and fast updates". Stanley Woo level forums moderation. Token transparency of development. Dismissal of criticism as entitlement. I could go on but it's pretty obvious.

And the reason you consider the nightly updates and posts by the developers to be enough to address those concerns is?

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

He's a robot baby from the future programmed to complain, poo poo-post, and chew bubblegum, and chewbblgum.exe is corrupted.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Lizard Wizard posted:

Yes, they are. Look around you.

The insane dogpile onto his pretty reasonable posts is actually a good way of proving his point that pretty much any criticism of starbound is immediately handwaved away as being "entitled" or compared to weird 4chan stalking.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Updates were coming in at a perfectly fine pace until they decided to move into a centralized office to improve workflow. During that downtime people (very much like you) threw shitfits about it and so they changed the update schedule,

The Forum moderation is actually way more lax than it needs to be.

The devs couldn't be more transparent if they were invisible.

And dismissal of criticism never happened and if you think what was being dismissed was criticism rather than the bitching of entitled man-children and/or just plain children well I don't know what to say.

The moment you put the word investor in a post we all knew you were a joke.

:frogout:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Varinn posted:

The insane dogpile onto his pretty reasonable posts is actually a good way of proving his point that pretty much any criticism of starbound is immediately handwaved away as being "entitled" or compared to weird 4chan stalking.

If he had valid points I would not criticize him.

He does not have valid points.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Varinn posted:

"Insane dogpile" is sort of a stretch since it's like maybe 10 people total who have chucklefish's dick so far up their rear end that it's poking out their mouth and leaking watery semen.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

When nightlies were first announced it seemed like a bad way to "prove" the game was being worked on, but with no explicitly mentioned merge conflict resolution or smoke test process that would actually insure that the builds would actually ever run.

But from all accounts Nightlies have run and do show progress being made, so I'm fine with doing other things and coming back later whenever I get wind of a new Stable or particularly compelling sounding Unstable build.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Varinn posted:

Y'know, except for the actual arguments people in the thread periodically have over whether or not the current way blocks stack is a problem, or the way the early game works is tedious.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

For the record, the fact that the first tier in starbound is literally making pickaxes and poo poo is still super dumb and bad, and just feels like it's only there because the games that preceded Starbound did it, which makes sense considering its origins! But at some point that should've been addressed as "hey this game has literally no need to start off like minecraft or terraria, it should be cool original poo poo start to finish"

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Varinn posted:

For the record, the fact that the first tier in starbound is literally making pickaxes and poo poo is still super dumb and bad, and just feels like it's only there because the games that preceded Starbound did it, which makes sense considering its origins! But at some point that should've been addressed as "hey this game has literally no need to start off like minecraft or terraria, it should be cool original poo poo start to finish"

Time flows like a river... and history repeats.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Varinn posted:

I'd be totally OK spending $15 on "literally Terraria but with space ships."

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Ultimately Starbound is a telling tale of the failure of having an "idea guy" in game development.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Holy poo poo I made a huge mistake reading this thread.

Anyway, how do I access these nightly updates, just opt-in on betas in steam or whatever?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
mods please lock this thread until a patch happens because these hellfucker nerds can't stop themselves from trying to troll each other

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Varinn posted:

That's actually my main beef with the game currently/what it looks like they're still going for. The vestigial Minecraft/Terraria-y components really don't mesh very well with the space crap, and very little of what has been mentioned sounds like that's going to be addressed as development progresses.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Ahundredbux posted:

Holy poo poo I made a huge mistake reading this thread.

Anyway, how do I access these nightly updates, just opt-in on betas in steam or whatever?

Yep that's exactly how, though you should backup your characters and universe folders and delete them along with Starbound.config.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Reading this thread is like the old Minecraft threads with all the dumb idiots complaining about the most inane poo poo, except last time there was a reason.

e: almost like openly developing and providing early access for a sandbox game is the worst mistake you can make

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Popular Thug Drink posted:

mods please lock this thread until a patch happens because these hellfucker nerds can't stop themselves from trying to troll each other

I like how some people need an authority figure or ignore lists to moderate their activity rather than just use common sense and self control.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

I haven't messed with the nightly updates yet but do you still have to fill your faster than light spaceship engine with wood and coal

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Potsticker posted:

I like how some people need an authority figure or ignore lists to moderate their activity rather than just use common sense and self control.

i just hate seeing a bunch of new posts and thinking that maybe some new content was released or an interesting mod but no, it's just dumb crybaby posts and people teasing idiot crybabies and then the circular firing squad as every halfass poster tries to prove their posting chops

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Starbound - Your Opinion Is Bullshit [Go Kill Yourself]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Varinn posted:

This is what valid criticism looks like, not

Arkanomen posted:

this game isn't being developed fast enough within the imaginary time frame i've created and the daily updates on progress are not detailed enough for me as an investor

• Locked thread