Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i just hate seeing a bunch of new posts and thinking that maybe some new content was released or an interesting mod but no, it's just dumb crybaby posts and people teasing idiot crybabies and then the circular firing squad as every halfass poster tries to prove their posting chops

I'm a fullrear end poster, thank you very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Shoehead posted:

Yep that's exactly how, though you should backup your characters and universe folders and delete them along with Starbound.config.

Ah, didn't know about the last part, it just crashed until I removed those, thanks!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
For all the discussion of the blindness of posters caused by hugboxing, the people speaking in the negative sure have a tendency to ignore all the rebuttals being made. It's disingenuous at best and intentionally ignorant at worst to hop into this thread and dismiss the varied and substantiated arguments against Arkanomen as "lol sucking Tiy's dick". Akanomen talks about being an investor, but he's a consumer. He decries the progress map, but it was the fans themselves who wanted it censored, and its censoring does not make it somehow nonexistent for the sake of the game's development. At some point it just becomes easier to handwave all the counterpoints being made and just say "fanboys" I guess.

lordfrikk posted:

Reading this thread is like the old Minecraft threads with all the dumb idiots complaining about the most inane poo poo, except last time there was a reason.
I swear to god there was an outcry against crafting way back when it was added to Minecraft. "What the gently caress, this isn't WoW!"

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Both sides look like idiots to me, but hey.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Varinn posted:

I haven't messed with the nightly updates yet but do you still have to fill your faster than light spaceship engine with wood and coal

Yes, and they made gathering fuel even more tedious because every time you die you drop any coal, ore or metal bars in your inventory!

NotALizardman fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 8, 2014

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I think Starbound was pretty fun, but not worth playing for all that long. Glad it's still in development.

Too bad about its toxic community. It was kind of cool how SA was a not-lovely place to talk about it, but it looks like one guy can ruin that, as people here seem utterly incapable of ignoring him. He's got bad opinions. We get it. He doesn't. Move on.

Speaking of the nightlies, I've not been following them, but there's a bunch of shots with novakids popping up. Are they actually in the nightlies yet? It'd be cool if people talked more about nightly features. One of the reasons I don't download them is I have no idea what's in them, and there doesn't seem to be any documentation.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ernie Muppari posted:

That's actually my main beef with the game currently/what it looks like they're still going for. The vestigial Minecraft/Terraria-y components really don't mesh very well with the space crap, and very little of what has been mentioned sounds like that's going to be addressed as development progresses.
If they implemented some way to make a player really attached to a planet they could call their home--much more than just some arbitrary "my spaceship warps back here when I click the Home button"--that'd tie up the buildy component nicely. Maybe you could invite NPCs to live on your planet if you had enough housing and assign 'em professions like "you are now a restaurant NPC" and they'd sell their racial meals or whatever rather than finding or printing NPC spawners (which just feels kinda detached to be honest) and flag them so they can't be hit by the player, that would definitely be a step in the right direction to emphasizing the Lego side of things.

Definitely would like to see some kind of "untargetable" flag, though. I love the idea of having a personal chef on my ship, but I hate accidentally sneezing next to him and watching him die.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

I had always hoped NPC Spawners were a placeholder mechanic for some way of recruiting people to come live in a settlement you built/on your ship. It'd be almost the same mechanic, but I feel like adding some level of window dressing like that to it would make it feel much less sterile and much more personal, which is "home planets" lack.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Varinn posted:

For the record, the fact that the first tier in starbound is literally making pickaxes and poo poo is still super dumb and bad, and just feels like it's only there because the games that preceded Starbound did it, which makes sense considering its origins! But at some point that should've been addressed as "hey this game has literally no need to start off like minecraft or terraria, it should be cool original poo poo start to finish"

Idunno man, we'd just have a bunch of weird space poo poo to chop trees and dig rocks with. Why not just call a pickaxe a pickaxe?

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 8, 2014

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Lizard Wizard posted:

Oh my loving god, who asked you to bring this up yet again?

I had hoped that three hundred and fifty pages of posts was more than enough time to let this thread heal from what was clearly a very traumatic discussion of the game.

edit: nice try bucko

Lizard Wizard posted:

Idunno man, we'd just have a bunch of weird space poo poo to chop trees and dig rocks with. Why not just call a pickaxe a pickaxe?

because if I didn't want space poo poo I'd just play terraria. but I do. I love space poo poo. the game already has tools that are way cooler than pickaxes, but it forces you to go through the cargo cult phase before you can unlock them, which is silly.

studio mujahideen fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 8, 2014

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Varinn posted:

I had always hoped NPC Spawners were a placeholder mechanic for some way of recruiting people to come live in a settlement you built/on your ship. It'd be almost the same mechanic, but I feel like adding some level of window dressing like that to it would make it feel much less sterile and much more personal, which is "home planets" lack.
Yeah, I agree, hopefully their expansion of base-building mechanics will incorporate a better way to get people to move in than to literally spawn them from a machine.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Varinn posted:

I think at some point they mentioned they'd like to have NPC's move into buildings you create for them (similar to how Terraria does it?). Hopefully, that means the end of NPC spawners. They're such a "dead" way of implementing your own NPCs.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Varinn posted:

I had always hoped NPC Spawners were a placeholder mechanic for some way of recruiting people to come live in a settlement you built/on your ship. It'd be almost the same mechanic, but I feel like adding some level of window dressing like that to it would make it feel much less sterile.

That's actually a thing they are working on doing as part of progression, renting or trading for cold, hard dosh and just buying your way to boss drops instead of getting your hands dirty with all that murder.

You can still do the murder, of course.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
We're working on it. I think a lot of the actual complaints (i.e not endless, eternal whining about nothing) about the game are shared, we just haven't got around to fixing everything yet. When it hits, the next stable build should be night and day to the current one.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Varinn posted:

It's the galactic equivalent of a help wanted ad. Some poor schlub takes the temp work and walks through the one-way teleporter to cook for insane medieval robots.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

graynull posted:

It's the galactic equivalent of a help wanted ad. Some poor schlub takes the temp work and walks through the one-way teleporter to cook for insane medieval robots.

Thinking about it like that, it doesn't seem too much out of place

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Varinn posted:

I had hoped that three hundred and fifty pages of posts was more than enough time to let this thread heal from what was clearly a very traumatic discussion of the game.

Will someone please make a mod that says that your character went to a space Trade school after graduating from Space Highschool so they know how to make space lasers instead of ancient stick+rock technology?

And no wonder no one talks about these nightly builds just look at them! http://starbounder.org/Version_History/Nightly

The scroll bar is so big it's like six rolls to get to the end! And the changes don't even take up the entire page! What kind of scam are you running chucklefish?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, I agree, hopefully their expansion of base-building mechanics will incorporate a better way to get people to move in than to literally spawn them from a machine.

I think I'd quite like space stations you can recruit people from so you can go looking for that floran chef and pay him spacebux to come work for you. Higher tier sectors would have better recruits too with better recipes or discounts to buy stuff from them.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
What happened to cause 300 new posts in this thread

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

It's great that this thread has been pretty chill so that people from Chucklefish feel comfortable posting here and... oh.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Robot Randy posted:

"I paid $15 for this game and that makes me an investor and Chucklefish isn't making this game fast enough. I've had 96 hours of playtime out of it and now I'm just... not interested as much as I was before."

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

NotALizardman posted:

Yes, and they made gathering fuel even more tedious because every time you die you drop any coal, ore or metal bars in your inventory!

Oh yeah...I forgot that that was the reason I stopped playing with the nightly builds.

Schwack posted:

I think at some point they mentioned they'd like to have NPC's move into buildings you create for them (similar to how Terraria does it?). Hopefully, that means the end of NPC spawners. They're such a "dead" way of implementing your own NPCs.

Yeah, basically right now there's still not really a reason to have a home planet. Like, yeah, it's fun to have a home base and build a house, but there's no real reason for it. If you're supposed to eventually build a home base for like, more than just you/your boat (like because you're supposed to be gathering dudes together to stop the vague big bad group that's secretly the problem with everything) then it'd feel like it flows naturally to both get a better space car and actually put effort into making things on a planet.

Ernie Muppari fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 8, 2014

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Will someone please make a mod that says that your character went to a space Trade school after graduating from Space Highschool so they know how to make space lasers instead of ancient stick+rock technology?

I think it'd be cool if this was actually changed by the developers of the in-development game, instead.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Robot Randy posted:

One of the investors is thinking about pulling out.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Varinn posted:

I think it'd be cool if this was actually changed by the developers of the in-development game, instead.

Yeah that wasn't even intended to be an insult either. On top of that, let's have backstories to our characters. Maybe mine was in space Boy Scout club so he knows how to make a compass or has one easier. Or can tell which plant is space Poison Ivy.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Robot Randy posted:

I can tell you that it is not gameplay discussion.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah that wasn't even intended to be an insult either. On top of that, let's have backstories to our characters. Maybe mine was in space Boy Scout club so he knows how to make a compass or has one easier. Or can tell which plant is space Poison Ivy.

Actually, some kind of Starting Gift might be a cool addition. Unique items that are helpful, especially early on, could add some variety to the early game.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Schwack posted:

Actually, some kind of Starting Gift might be a cool addition. Unique items that are helpful, especially early on, could add some variety to the early game.

Letting players at least choose whether they start with a ranged or melee weapon would also be good.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Schwack posted:

My comments are both cool ideas and not at all expected because the company already has poo poo they're working on. Let's go full-on Don't Starve with this! We've got fire, let's be able to set forests on fire, and monsters! AND OURSELVES! I wanna get some flame resistant armor and go around punching things while ablaze myself!

After re-reading your post it may actually be more favorable to compare it to Dark Souls than Don't Starve.

Ernie Muppari posted:

Letting players at least choose whether they start with a ranged or melee weapon would also be good.

Do you still need arrows or is it going Final Fantasy 4 DS on that?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Shoehead posted:

Yep that's exactly how, though you should backup your characters and universe folders and delete them along with Starbound.config.

I thought wipes were supposed to be a thing of the past.

Kly posted:

This is what valid criticism looks like, not

No that's bullshit. The dev's frequently gave out timelines that were missed. Nightlies don't prove poo poo other than "we're working" which is nice seeing as it looked like devs were focused on other titles. The dev document proves the game is moving in a cohesive direction. Which it isn't.

Supernorn posted:

We're working on it. I think a lot of the actual complaints (i.e not endless, eternal whining about nothing) about the game are shared, we just haven't got around to fixing everything yet. When it hits, the next stable build should be night and day to the current one.

When exactly? Timeline, rough date or just the standard "Soon". If you don't want to give a date that's fine but at least say "We aren't sure, here's why" would be great. Open development and all that.

Schwack posted:

Copy Terraria more. Okay cool.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arkanomen posted:

"Copy the finished good game more? NO"

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ernie Muppari posted:

I think an offhand pistol AND a cheap little club should be included in the starting package. Guns are hardly overpowered, I don't think it'd upset things much.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Arkanomen called himself an investor and you guys are still arguing with him smh

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Schwack posted:

Only if one of the options does nothing but seems like it should do something. And the developers don't say anything about it for like 2-3 years after release. :v:

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Cernunnos posted:

Only if one of the options does nothing but seems like it should do something. And the developers don't say anything about it for like 2-3 years after release. :v:

i think the last thing early access needs is ANOTHER game with "dark souls elements" on it's features list

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

I AM BRAWW posted:

Arkanomen called himself an investor and you guys are still arguing with him smh

I would say scammed or ripped off but I did get something for my money, just not what was advertised.

RareAcumen posted:

"Copy the finished good game more? NO"
Some call it plagiarism, we call it development.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
A Day In The Life Of A Chucklefish Employee:

1) Walk into office (hungover from item 14)
2) Play with dog.
3) Learn Tiy is freaking out over somebody not brownnosing him hard enough on the appropriate blogs or websites (hello Polygon)
4) Read reddit; pose for Twitter pictures.
5) Have lunch (at expensive rear end restaurant because you're in central london, and are a moron for moving your office and employees there)
6) Get 5 new objectives/things to do from Tiy to add to the giant list of poo poo already to do
7) Look at people's mod work, contemplate stealing it
8) Get free work by non-employees added to the game under the theory that they'll get recognition (recognition consists entirely of 4 tweets and a Reddit post)
9) Laugh at previous suckers who did the above
10) Learn the previous 5 objectives are now completely changed, and you have to rework them
11) Have a staff meeting where nothing is accomplished beyond yes-manning
12) Bilk some other poor development team into being published by Chucklefish, knowing full well it won't be promoted beyond several twitter posts and Reddit
13) Ignore refund requests for said game when it crashes and burns.
14) Drink at your desk.
15) Leave work (late) to go to a staff dinner where you, the underpaid (or unpaid) employee foot the bill of a Central London restaurant to get ahead with your millionaire boss.
16) Scream obscenities into showerhead
17) Sleep, knowing you're doing this 6 days a week.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
e: double post

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Arkanomen posted:

Hey man Tiy was a developer on Terraria http://web.archive.org/web/20120206230928/http://www.indiegamemag.com/terraria-2-0-developer-offers-a-sneak-peek-of-their-next-game

It's an archived link because they deleted the article after some information regarding somebody's title was redacted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Varinn posted:

i think the last thing early access needs is ANOTHER game with "dark souls elements" on it's features list

:edi:

• Locked thread